BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #45
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quick release plate theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCar View Post
umm..quick question, has anyone ever had one of these stolen? considering how they're quick release..i presume they're quick stolen too.

I understand most keep this in the trunk 95% of the time, but what about that 5%?
One would have know this and have the right size wrench. Considering most plates can be stolen by removing 4 screws, it's really not much more risky, IMO.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #46
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Shuldn't be illegal as long as it doesn't effect legibility, but might look kind of wierd.
The whole thing looks ugly anyways, I can live with weird on top of that
      03-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #47
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
The whole thing looks ugly anyways, I can live with weird on top of that
I actually like the off center location better than the stock one.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #48
Meff
smiling amid the chaos...
Rep
Drives: Erratically

Quote:
Can't really say from the picture, did you use the middle mounting point?
I did use one of the middle ones yes (middle of the 3 middle ones)- It fit well and was centred how I wanted so I did not really trial any of the other mounting points.

Quote:
I have an idea to make the removal process quicker but not sure if it will be legal. The problem is the license plate is in front of the screw that attached the back-plate to the towhook base. So if you cut a hole on the license plate and get an access to that small screw, than you don't have to remove the license plate Any ideas if it would be illegal to put a hole on license plate?

Just un-do the small screw to remove the back-plate, and then remove the tow hook attachement and done.
I think this is a great idea - it you painted the head of the screw/washer to match the plate colour it would be pretty undetectable. This would also give you quick and easy access to tighten the screw on a regular basis to insure it's well attached if you decide to leave it on the car for extended periods.

As far as the legality of it, not sure, probably not an issue. I also think if you use a slim 3/4" wrench, you could undo the spindle from the back and rotate the plate off being careful, but have not tried this yet
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #49
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meff View Post
I think this is a great idea - it you painted the head of the screw/washer to match the plate colour it would be pretty undetectable. This would also give you quick and easy access to tighten the screw on a regular basis to insure it's well attached if you decide to leave it on the car for extended periods.

As far as the legality of it, not sure, probably not an issue. I also think if you use a slim 3/4" wrench, you could undo the spindle from the back and rotate the plate off being careful, but have not tried this yet
Good thinking. Need to be careful though, as you mentioned before, back-plate touches to the bumper when spinned.