BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

Mporium BMW

02-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
Merked M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

My M3 Spinouts Video

I was filming the last two events of the 2012 autocross season and came across these 4 spinouts and cut them up on a video. I made this movie while waiting to get my licence renewed at the DMV. '08 BMW E90 M3 competing in A-Street Prepared class (ASP) with NorCal UFO. Don't forget to pop the car to neutral when you spin in an M3!!!!

Make sure to watch in HD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFazyfc_85k

The next car, my Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
vzm3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Looks like fun!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

I know absolutely nothing about tracking a car. Why do you spin-out so easily... is it improper technique, or combination of speed and summer tires?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
uplusd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

sweet video
      02-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
Merked M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrewt View Post
I know absolutely nothing about tracking a car. Why do you spin-out so easily... is it improper technique, or combination of speed and summer tires?
Autocross is all technical corners and you are trying to get that extra bit of speed to beat everyone else. Personally I push myself and the car to its absolute limit and sometimes beyond. Luckily autocross is the safest place you can spin out so after you get your fast time for the day, its cool to try to push a little bit more and sometimes that results in something you can't control. So braking too late into the corner, too much throttle, throttle with understeer all can cause you to kick the back out or spin.

Its sort of like that quote, "If you're not failing, you aren't moving forward." Honestly I try to spin out once an event and laugh at my mistake and be faster/better next time.

And it is definately not grip, haha, I am running 305 width R-Comp tires!!!!

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 03:13 AM   #6
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

Watching you drive, I have seen a lot of mistakes. Awesome video, but from a professional standpoint, it seems you lift off and don't power out. Secondly, you don't seem to know when the car is about to spin out til it already does.

A little steering input before oversteer and powering out, would do you wonders on the track/auto x course.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 04:21 AM   #7
eVitO
trollololol
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: Too slow

Seems like you do a lot of shifting of your hands around the wheel. I, at least, was taught that you should do as little shifting as possible because muscle memory works wonders. Also, the less movements you make, the easier it is to remember where the center of the steering wheel is and exactly how much steering input you're giving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
why dont you leave him a love note on the car -- with hearts and shit

lol - seriously tho -- I find notes on my car sometimes -- but it's NEVER from girls -- -- damm M3 is a ghey magnet
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #8
UBER ///M3
Nüburgring Nordschleife BTG 8:05
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 LEMANS BLUE E92 ZCP M3

great video love to see people pushing their cars that hard, if you dont then you will never know its limits
ESS V2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, AA Green Filter,Custom painted Recaro Pole Positions, Akrapovic slip on, Stoptech ST60/ Pagid pads, KW Clubsports, APEX ARC8s/Pilot Sport Cups, Hamann carbon fiber hood, ONEighty Headlight mod (selfmade), CRT lip with splitters, Blacked out/paint matched emblems, black aluminum extended paddles and pedals
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Merked M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipped B6 View Post
Watching you drive, I have seen a lot of mistakes. Awesome video, but from a professional standpoint, it seems you lift off and don't power out. Secondly, you don't seem to know when the car is about to spin out til it already does.

A little steering input before oversteer and powering out, would do you wonders on the track/auto x course.
Really good point about a little input before an oversteer situation! To be honest, only the first spin is during competition. The other 3 were during "fun runs" which don't count for competition. I have been drifting those runs as you may have seen, haha. So I was intentionally trying to go a little past the car's limits; I do still have stuff to learn about initiating a drift! But good observation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVitO View Post
Seems like you do a lot of shifting of your hands around the wheel. I, at least, was taught that you should do as little shifting as possible because muscle memory works wonders. Also, the less movements you make, the easier it is to remember where the center of the steering wheel is and exactly how much steering input you're giving.
Very true, I also received that feedback at the end of last season. I have been working with an instructor on a new hands technique with less "shuffling" of my hands and the steering wheel. The new technique is much more efficient and aligns better with fast transitions and drifting. We will see how I do when it comes to competition, whether I can keep the new technique or if I revert back to the old!

Appreciate 0