BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

05-08-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
werly
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR E92 M3

Washing freshly painted area

Advices I've got so far are not to wash freshly painted area until 30/60/90 days later (the longer the better I suppose!?) But darn my OCD cannot live with that.

I have a newly painted spoiler which is already on the car, I plan to wash the car this coming weekend, by then the new paint will be on the spoiler for...2 or 3 days at most

Assuming I can have it washed (if not I would also like to know the reason behind it, I heard that the new paint needs to breath? It'd be wonderful if someone could elaborate on that), here is what I plan to do:

1. no polishing for sure

2. pressure washer rinse

3. foam cannon

4. hand wash mitt (gentle touch up on the spoiler especially)

5. pressure washer rinse

6. air blower dry

7. microfiber towel dry (again, will go easy on spoiler)

That's basically all, I am thinking about using quick wax spray but uncertain about how it will treat the new paint.

If there was any step not new-paint-friendly please let me know.

Or any opinion on revising my wash is welcomed as well Thanks!

Last edited by werly; 05-08-2012 at 01:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
AutoCon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tacoma X-Runner

The thirty days thing is that the paint is "Out gassing" and curing and that pertains to putting on a LSP(Wax or sealant), doing what you described should not harm anything as long as you are gentle, your wing was baked and sanded then compounded/polished right after it was painted so the polishing step has already happened.

If you use a quick detailer just make sure it is silicon/wax free until the paint has hardened up and cured.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
The thirty days thing is that the paint is "Out gassing" and curing and that pertains to putting on a LSP(Wax or sealant), doing what you described should not harm anything as long as you are gentle, your wing was baked and sanded then compounded/polished right after it was painted so the polishing step has already happened.

If you use a quick detailer just make sure it is silicon/wax free until the paint has hardened up and cured.
+1. Washing is fine, just no waxes, etc. til the paint fully cures.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

You definitely want to wash it and do so carefully IMO. When the paint is still curing, it is soft and is susceptible to etching from water and at higher risk for impurities embedding in the finish.
      05-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
werly
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Thanks for the feedback guys

So no quick wax spray for this weekend, but what about pressure washer + foam cannon? Will it damage the still soft paint? Pressure washer is 2000 psi/137.9 bar
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
werly
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
You definitely want to wash it and do so carefully IMO. When the paint is still curing, it is soft and is susceptible to etching from water and at higher risk for impurities embedding in the finish.
I have a filter system for water so maybe that will help?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
mikenap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3(sold) :(

Just as an aside, I recently spoke with Dr. G at Optimum and he stated that Opti-Seal and Optimum Car Wax are both safe for fresh paint. I'd heard this before, but wanted to verify it first hand. He claims he has body shops using both products after resprays and neither will affect outgassing. If you are unsure, give him a call.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by werly View Post
I have a filter system for water so maybe that will help?
I was referring more to water from the road that will be full of all kinds of nasty stuff. No matter how bad the water is that you wash with, as long as you dry it well, you should be okay.