BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #23
m3keash
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93, JB/Bamboo, Adv.1 8.3 20s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
I agree 100%.
+2. Everybody's modding their exhaust. If you drive the stock car with the top down it sounds pretty amazing.
      07-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #24
eluder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m

I have a 2011 E90, my Dad a 2011 E93.

I'd take the sedan in a heartbeat. 2 doors is frustrating. They are big, so tight spots, when they happen, are that much worse. Plus having to fold the seat up so my 7 YO can get in the back is irritating also.

In day to day driving, the E93 feel heavier/slower. It doesn't have that acceleration edge that the sedan has and it shows. Plus, no ZCP wheels!

I drive both cars all week long and each time I get in the convertible, there's about a 30 minute period where I think it's fun, then I want my sedan back.

Different strokes though. If you're the convertible type, I'm sure you'll love it and prefer it. You do hear more of the exhaust with the top down, but I actually find it a bit irritating in stop and go traffic.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #25
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsiciliano View Post
E93. Ive had the top down for 5 days straight!

On a serious note, don't under estimate the added need for sun block.
You're crazy my friend...100+ out past couple of days in LA...

Unless you went out at night, then it's perfect. That I did.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluder View Post
I'd take the sedan in a heartbeat. 2 doors is frustrating. They are big, so tight spots, when they happen, are that much worse.

You do hear more of the exhaust with the top down, but I actually find it a bit irritating in stop and go traffic.
Funny, I get annoyed with the smaller e90 doors lol. Then again, I'm not a small guy...

The stock exhaust can get irritating in stop and go traffic....? You can barely hear it for one thing...but you're saying the M3 sounds...irritating? First time I've heard that from a M3 owner lol
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #26
eluder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m

Try reading again, this time without taking it out of context.

I said that with the top down, in stop and go traffic, the E93 exhaust booms and drones too much for me. The sedan, with its fixed roof, takes the right amount of the drone out.

Obviously, for driving at constant speeds, this doesn't apply.

This part is subjective obviously.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #27
SharkPhi
Contract Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X5

I had a heavily modded e90 335 before my e93 M3...I have to say: the e93 has very few shortcomings when it comes to the "daily driver".

Plenty of power, great looks, and gobs of "make me smile" factor. I do miss the rear doors every once in a while, but the e93 makes up for it in so many ways.

On a side note, for those who don't track the car, or drive "balls to the wall" 24/7, do you really notice a difference between the e90 and the e93?
      07-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #28
bsiciliano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
You're crazy my friend...100+ out past couple of days in LA...

Unless you went out at night, then it's perfect. That I did.. lol
It was in the high 70s/low 80s. I live up Bev Glen. Cool in the canyon. Just don't go over the hill...then you need a sombrero to prevent a burn.

Agreed, at night, it was beautiful!!!
OE Tuning/Gruppe M Intake/ACS Springs/Vorsteiner CF Type I Rear Diffuser/Textured Matte Black Custom Powdercoated OEM 359s/Painted Reflectors/Matte Grille, Hood Vents and Side Markers/Arqray Race Exhaust/MS Pulley
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #29
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsiciliano View Post
It was in the high 70s/low 80s. I live up Bev Glen. Cool in the canyon. Just don't go over the hill...then you need a sombrero to prevent a burn.

Agreed, at night, it was beautiful!!!
o man you're luck. I was dying in the valley
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #30
bsiciliano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

I went over the hill to home depot on Sunday afternoon around 5:00. Easily 15 degrees hotter.
OE Tuning/Gruppe M Intake/ACS Springs/Vorsteiner CF Type I Rear Diffuser/Textured Matte Black Custom Powdercoated OEM 359s/Painted Reflectors/Matte Grille, Hood Vents and Side Markers/Arqray Race Exhaust/MS Pulley
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #31
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

if i lived in FL/CA I would have a vert... here in the NE it's not worth it for me. Also I enjoy the added cargo space. Figure out what's important to you.

Extra room in backseats?
Extra trunk space?
hair in the wind?
Look of the vert with the top up vs. look of E90
added weight?
Small dip in MPG?
Do you track?
Are you single... if so get the vert.

Add up your answers and you will know what to get.
      07-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #32
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
I got an E93 335 for a loaner while waiting for the E90 to be built. Worked out great for me... anyway, I found that driving a cabrio is fun and if she would have been a third "play" car then I may have changed my order to an E93M.

But, there were several drawbacks to the cabrio:
-Two doors. suck when you have a 4 and 6 year old.
-Bit louder, some creaks where the top met the body.
-Back seat left no room for adults really. I generally drive us out to lunch as my work colleagues have small cars/trucks.
Positives:
-It really is cool when you're cruising with the top down on a sunny day. Was my first experience with a cabrio and I did dig it.
BUT, can't do it for primary/daily driver car. AND it wasn't an M, just a really fast 335i...

So I would think that with no concern for back seat, its a third car/weekend cruiser, I would get a Donkervoort D8...
      07-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #33
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post

-Back seat left no room for adults really. I generally drive us out to lunch as my work colleagues have small cars/trucks.
Strange...I have no issue fitting adults in the rear as long as those in the front don't sit like assholes

I tend to find the rear in the e90 pretty much equal, with the exception of being able to have a 3rd person back there.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #34
Nati Beastcat
Party at the Moontower
Rep
Drives: X5D

E90 just got one and love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #35
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
as long as those in the front don't sit like assholes.
let me introduce you to my friends...
      07-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #36
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
let me introduce you to my friends...
lol

People who come into my car follow my rules, simple as that.

If they don't, they get dropped off. I've done it countless times in the past over the years when in High School.
They have learned to listen as they really don't feel like walking home.

Same goes to the rules of the house. I have no problem kicking someone out if they're not following the rules (disrespecting women, high on drugs, or stupidly drunk, etc).
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #37
Manifold
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche, AMG

To close the loop on this, I've now had the chance to test drive both the M3 sedan and vert with both manual and DCT transmissions.

Comparing the sedan with the vert, it was pretty much as expected. The performance of the sedan is somewhat better than the vert (I certainly notice the difference), but the vert is still very good and definitely a real M3. It would come down to how much one values the top-down experience vs. focusing on performance.

As far as manual versus DCT, I generally prefer manual in a performance car, but I think the DCT is better in the M3. Since the M3 lacks low to mid rev torque (sorry, it's true), keeping the revs high with the manual is a bit of a chore, whereas the DCT does that job well.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #38
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
I got the E90 because I need the ulility, if you don't need the ulility and don't care about going to the track, then I say get the E93, hands down it is so fun to drive with the top down.
1 same reason here
      07-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #39
M3Duo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 911 tt

Like been said before..everybody will give their thoughts/advice but in the end the choice is solely yours. Most of the adive will be biased depending what each of us drive even for those who have drive all the three iterations.
Personaly I found the vert not much different in handling except accleration due to extra 400lb but once you hit 30-40mph it's no pig.
Top down/open air driving and the musical V8 wail is something you will never experience in a 90/92 M's...my 2 cents

Drives: 997 Porsche turbo
Stable: Porsche Panamera
'09 e93M(sold), '09 e90(sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #40
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAA-C63 View Post
We're close to pulling the trigger on getting either a new E90 sedan or E93 convertible, and will be hopefully test driving both back to back today at a local dealer.

If the performance of the E90 isn't much better than the E93, we'll definitely get the E93, and may even be able to bring it home today. Otherwise, we may get the E90, but then if we don't get a convertible, options like the 911 coupe, 1M, Cayman R, etc. also get back on the radar (the car will be a fun third car, and a usable back seat is desirable but not mandatory).

Have any of you driven both the E90 and E93 enough to offer a comparison of their performance (real-world acceleration, handling, sharpness of steering, feedback from the road, etc.)? Or do you know of a review which provides a reasonably detailed comparison of the two cars?

I've already asked these questions in another thread and did get some responses (thank you!), but I'm starting a new thread for this because my other thread title didn't explicitly pose this question, so a lot of potential responders may not have read that thread.

Again, I'm looking for comparisons based on experience with both cars, not armchair speculations.

Thanks!

Addendum: When I say E90 and E93, I'm referrring to the M3. I didn't realize these designations also include the other 3-series.
I would of course first study the Road Test or Reviews of the E90 sedan or E93 convertible.

Then I would as you suggested drive both of them without the salesman and finally I would then make up my mind, for you have to drive it in the end

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #41
08E92M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelinIsRich08 View Post
DCT will give it a better resale value and the wives can drive it.
+1
Appreciate 0