BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-22-2023, 10:08 PM   #1
JBird..
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

RE71RS Rotations -- Directional?

Hey all. I picked up and have done two HPDE days at Laguna Seca on square 275/35/18 RE71RSs and I'm hoping to rotate (L to R or vice versa) for the next Laguna day. I can't find anything about the RE71RS being directional but they do appear to be. How have people rotated these in the past? Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 10:53 AM   #2
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Based on what I've found, they're asymmetrical, not directional. The RE71R was directional.
      12-26-2023, 09:28 PM   #3
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

to add to this topic, just for a little extra info for people in the future wondering about this:

The great news is that the newer RE71RS tire is not directional and can be rotated to all four corners of the car (as long as the tire is mounted on the wheel with the “OUTSIDE” marked sidewall facing out, obviously).

The older (original) RE71R version was directional and that can be seen in the tread pattern. However, the directional tread pattern was specifically done for better wet weather performance to shed water better. In dry weather, the original “R” version can be rotated to all four corners with no noticeable change in grip level, even through it makes you nervous running it backward. If run backward in the rain, the tire would not perform as well as it could if it was installed in the correct direction.

After running both versions, I absolutely love the new “RS” version. Somehow they seem to have more grip, wear slower, and are quieter. Even

Pics for fun: (notice the direction of the “R” version )
Attached Images

04-22-2024, 12:03 AM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Big question for me is, if these tires can be flipped on the wheel?
My outside edges always wear out quickly on track- yes I need more camber but it then KILLS my street tires inside edge. I was flipping the tires on the wheel with the R's but was wondering if that's ok with the RS?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 01:31 AM   #5
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Big question for me is, if these tires can be flipped on the wheel?
My outside edges always wear out quickly on track- yes I need more camber but it then KILLS my street tires inside edge. I was flipping the tires on the wheel with the R's but was wondering if that's ok with the RS?
it'll be fine, but you'll lose performance. but the inboard and outboard are made different..as the outside is suppose to take most of the abuse. so take it for what it is. i guess if you're street driving it after the outboard is donezo.. should be fine.

fyi bridgestone does not recommend flipping the 71RS.

Last edited by omgzirra_exe; 04-22-2024 at 01:38 AM..
Appreciate 0