BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

06-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
lesha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 - 335 coupe

BMW question

Hello everyone, I'm been reading this forum for few months now and finally decided to join. I will be in the market for a new car within a year and I'm in love with BMWs especially the M3. I have a question for all of you proud BMW owners. This has been puzzling me for a quiet some time now. Very often when I have a conversation with my coworkers and friends about cars, despite my appreciation for a BMW, I'm often advised against buying one. Main reasons that I get from people is that they warn me that the car is going to be unreliable and I'm going to spend a lot time in the shop getting it fixed. And when the warranty runs out it’s going to get expensive. I've heard this from more than one person. Instead, I'm being advised to get a Japanese car, like an Acura or an Infiniti. I have a very hard time believing these people, but my questions remain. Is this true? If not, then why the stereotype? Besides the forum, I notice that BMWs in general are very popular cars and there are a lot of them on the road, at least where I live. Why would people spend 50K-70K on a car if it was unreliable and had to be brought into the shop all the time?

Any information would be appreciated. Please help me clear this out. I’m ready for an upgrade and would really love to get a BMW as my next car (hopefully M3 if finances allow).
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
gobuffs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 S54 (race car)

Any manufacturer can make a lemon, just b/c you buy Japanese doesn't mean it will not be in the shop. I would say in general Japanese cars are less prone to breaking down than most German cars....BUT....driving a refrigerator is not a thrilling experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Bikerjoy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
Talk to a big and diverse enough demographic you will hear that every car out there is unreliable even a Toyota. I have also owned Volkswagens, a Volvo, a Toyota and a Honda. Each and every one of them had to go to get something fixed during the first two years.

This is my second BMW, my first was a VERY low serial number Z4, and I will say I did have plenty of problems with it, I had problems with everything from the ignition system, fuel indicator, rag top drive mechanism and power steering all this in the first two years / 25k miles. Call it bad quality, teething problems, lemon, call it what you want. The important point is how they handle problems when they arise, and there I think BMW is ahead of the pack when it comes to customer service. Every time I brought it in, I had a call back the same day with them having identified the problem, if they had parts, it was also usually corrected that same day. They ALWAYS, gave me a loaner that was something out of the ordinary (540, M3, M5, other Z4s), they gave me game tickets for "pain and suffering".

11 months into my M3 I have had it in for the "Rear Diff Noise" (change of oil and friction modifier), and I have an issue with scratched tint on-going.

With all this in mind I am not going to tell you that BMW is the most reliable car I have owned, but for me it is more than worth the trade off to own one. I can live with the occasional problem, just because how much I love the feel, handling and looks of the car.

If reliability is a major concern for you..... Get a Toyota.
      06-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Welcome to the Forum.

I wouldn't use Consumer Reports as the sole basis for picking a car, but go there and compare BMW to the Asian makes. There's not much difference in reliability. When you consider BMWUSA's free maintenence program, BMW is hard to beat.

If, like me, you plan to keep your BMW ten to fifteen years, then maintenance cost will be a consideration. I DO plan to extend my warranty/maintenence a couple of years by paying between $2000 and $3000 before expiration; however, ultimately I'll have to pay for service and parts. I expect expensive parts, commensurate with the low volume and high price of an M3.

If you think that parts are not expensive on Asian cars, think again. I've owned Toyota and Honda and experienced my share of parts costing thousands. The best overall value that I've personally experienced has been Ford. My 5.0 Mustangs had low initial cost, good reliability and low cost replacement parts. (I held one for five-years and another for 15-years, daily driven). Lots of people here will diss Ford, but, IME, they make cars that deliver lots of value in terms of performance, reliability and cost to own.

Finally, getting away from the Consumers Reports approach to auto purchasing, your friends likely have not compared an M3 to an Accura, because there just isn't any comparison. If you're going to drive your car to work and back, then get the Accura. If you're a "car guy" and might do some performance events or enjoy driving mountain roads, then look hard at the M3 and its direct competition (which includes a couple of Asian cars, but mostly European and American). If you buy an M3, you'll gain some new friends with a different view of the world. Really.

Happy hunting and let us know what you do.

Dave
      06-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

I've been also told by countless # of people that German cars, especially BMW's are unreliable. My parents had a '93 Mecedes Benz, and it was a problem since day 1....But we kept that car for over 10 yrs. My dad always told me that there is nothing like a Toyota. We've never really had any major issues with Toyota's......Until now. My parents purchased a Sienna Van a few yrs. back, and it has been a nightmare lately. The radio doesn't work any more. The engine makes a squeeling noise and it seems to be getting worst. I don't know if this car was a "lemon", but it has been frustrating for the family.

I don't know what to say. I am extremely picky about build quality, and I hate cars that don't have excellent build quality. I test drove many cars, especially the IS F and the M3. In the beginning, I was being very biased and wanted to get the IS F, especially since I absolutely love Japanese quality, and I always will. I was almost set to get the IS F, but then I test drove the M3....And my jaw dropped! I felt the built quality was better than the IS F. The steering wheel felt 100 times better.....Literally. More importantly, the drive of the M3 was simply amazing compared to the IS F.

At the end, my heart was set in getting a Japanese car, but when I actually saw the M3 inside and out, there was no drawback in the build quality. Almost everything about the M3 was better. And so I ordered my M3 about 3 weeks ago. To tell you the truth, I'll have to experience this BMW to see how the reliability is in the long run. Until then, I won't know what to tell you from personal experience with this specific BMW. All I know is that if I take care of my car, I can hope to expect very good reliability. Let's see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesha View Post
Hello everyone, I'm been reading this forum for few months now and finally decided to join. I will be in the market for a new car within a year and I'm in love with BMWs especially the M3. I have a question for all of you proud BMW owners. This has been puzzling me for a quiet some time now. Very often when I have a conversation with my coworkers and friends about cars, despite my appreciation for a BMW, I'm often advised against buying one. Main reasons that I get from people is that they warn me that the car is going to be unreliable and I'm going to spend a lot time in the shop getting it fixed. And when the warranty runs out it’s going to get expensive. I've heard this from more than one person. Instead, I'm being advised to get a Japanese car, like an Acura or an Infiniti. I have a very hard time believing these people, but my questions remain. Is this true? If not, then why the stereotype? Besides the forum, I notice that BMWs in general are very popular cars and there are a lot of them on the road, at least where I live. Why would people spend 50K-70K on a car if it was unreliable and had to be brought into the shop all the time?

Any information would be appreciated. Please help me clear this out. I’m ready for an upgrade and would really love to get a BMW as my next car (hopefully M3 if finances allow).
A BMW -any BMW- is a want car, not a need car. The real issue here then is, are you a driver or a commuter?

If you do not care about the driving but just to get somewhere, a BMW is not for you as there are equal or better cars for less money that can do exactly that... take you somewhere comfortably, safely, economically.

The people that are giving you opinions about getting anything but a BMW are correct, they are commuters. And as commuters they see things very differently from drivers. I need to feel the car, the gears, the acceleration, the handling, the speed while getting somewhere. I want a BMW, I don't need any other car if I can take a bus, a taxi or just rent a car and get there the same way without feeling anything.

Once you want a car you will be slightly more tolerant to its defects, as long as they do not overcome what you want out of that car. In the case of BMW, the warranty is one of the best of the industry and their reliability after the warranty period is above average according to independent surveys. After 6 BMW's in 16 years none of them have given me any trouble, any issue so bad that I can say "I'm getting another brand". All my issues have been repaired under warranty, and even a big one was fixed after warranty courtesy of BMW.

Again, you need to evaluate what is important to you, and only you.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E83 X3

You should have a look at the JD Powers reliability ratings:

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/reliability.html
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

When I bought my first BMW in 1999 (E46 325i) the salesman said to me "You will never drive another make of car again." This week I take delivery of my new E90 M3 - my sixth BMW. I'll have three BMWs in the garage - an X5, 135i and an M3. That salesman was right - I can't drive anything else.

There are certain things in life I can't change - Coca-Cola, Levi 504s, Doc Martens and BMW!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
lesha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 - 335 coupe

thanks

Thank you guy for all the answers. I can see the main point you are all making. I'm not just looking for a reliable car to get me from point A to point B. My commute to work is 15 min and soon I won't have one at all since I might be working from home. I'm looking to spend a bit more money and get a car that I can have some fun with but at the same time have the ability to use it for long trips and be comfortable when the need arises. Thanks again. I'll keeping reading and doing more research for now...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #10
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

^^All the best with your decision!

BMW's are meant to be drivers cars......And the M3 is at the pinnacle.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

If you have a family, think E90 M3 but if you need more room either the X6 5.0i or the X5 4.8i
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Here's my story. I've always been obsessed with reliability when making a vehicle purchase, and therefore, had always passed on M3s and Porsches for that reason... until now. I can tell you that has cost me a heck of a lot more than having bought an M3 to begin with. Why? Being a high-tech driving enthusiast, I never liked the 'high-tech refined' Lexus LS, GS, SC, and SC430, etc., and neither the 'low-tech unrefined' Vette, GTO, etc. What was missing on ALL those cars? NONE had driving excitement to me. And ended up buying and selling every year or two, at a stratospheric depreciation cost. Could have bought an M3 and driving for 10 years and not spend the $20K+ in repairs I lost on the SC430 alone. And no, I'm not putting down any of the cars mentioned above; if any of those get your blood boiling, THAT's the car for you. If you're going to buy them because that's the 'rational' thing to do, you'll end up like me, throwing money away on cars you'd never love. For a car enthusiast like us, it's sacrilege. Sometimes we're our worst enemy, especially for people with a 'type A' personality like me.

So yes, I regretted spending that much money on my M3 (I always do with large purchases for myself), but for once in my life, I'm driving the car I always wanted, and am not looking back buddy. Is it going to be as reliable as a Honda? Probably not, but am mentally ready for it. Will I keep it after warranty? I really want to, and hope so, but will depend how it goes with MY car, and what I learn here about the car over the next few years. If not, 4 years will be pretty much a record ownership for me anyway , plus the fact every time I jump in my car I'm grinning ear to ear before I even push the 'start' button. And THAT,my friends, is priceless . I'm not a very good writer, but hope this helps someone avoid all the car mistakes I've done in my life, all in the name of 'reliability', which by the way, never applied to ANY of my previous cars (there's always something that will go wrong; they're machines). Good day.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #13
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

We can say a lot of things for or against a Bimmer. You can also read a lot about BMW and other cars that you are considering. It is hard to quantify why I like BMW. I've own and driven other cars from other auto manufacturers. Somebody asked me why I haven't own a BMW yet. I was driving the P 987S at that time and were coming from an Audi S4. That all changed late 06 when I ordered the new E92 335i. The drive and feelings cannot be describe after driving the car for a month. Traded that car for an E92M3 last year. I just got the EDC malfunction last week aside from the DCT lag problem but that will not change my mind on how I like this car.

The bottom line is that, it will be your decision to make and I don't think that there is a right or wrong choice. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesha View Post
Very often when I have a conversation with my coworkers and friends about cars, despite my appreciation for a BMW, I'm often advised against buying one. Main reasons that I get from people is that they warn me that the car is going to be unreliable and I'm going to spend a lot time in the shop getting it fixed. And when the warranty runs out it’s going to get expensive. I've heard this from more than one person. Instead, I'm being advised to get a Japanese car, like an Acura or an Infiniti. I have a very hard time believing these people, but my questions remain. Is this true? If not, then why the stereotype?
What I would do is engage these people - ask them for specifics. For example, ask them if they or a immediate family member own or have owned a modern BMW (E8x/E9x/E6x/E7x - basically anything from this decade) and have them describe what specific problems they had.

From here you will probably have about 80% of the folks sheepishly quiet down and walk away since they are really not in the know and instead are just trumpeting rhetoric they've heard elsewhere. You can then safely ignore everything these people say (and that probably goes for just about all topics they speak about, to be perfectly frank).

For the remaining 20% take what they say and google their issues and see what comes up. If it is a widespread issue, you'll find lots of info. If it isn't you may find one or two relevant search hits or perhaps none at all.

From here take the genuine problems you find on the vehicle(s) you are interested in and weigh the concerns against what your expectations are. Careful consider everything before making the purchase.

The reasons for the stereotype, incidentally, are past history, hype, FUD, simple envy, and yes a small shread of truth.

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your search for your dream car.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #15
Silvertige
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 e92 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW 535i  [10.00]
I've had a 2001 330ci ordered new with 9 miles on the odo and sold it to my friend last year with 117000 miles. He's now using it and it has 130,000 miles. Between the two of us we've spent less than $1000 dollars on anything outside of regular maintenance. There was a leak in the ac unit and an O2 sensor, and that's about it. It's still using the same clutch. Now, I do have a manual tranny, and I've spent much more on maintenance than the average BMW driver. I.e, ignoring the "lifetime fill" b.s. and replacing the diff, transmission fluids, fuel filter replacements, increased oil change intervals, spark plug replacements, and the rest.

Oh, my buddy has a 2001 325i that has 220,000+ miles without any major problems. And he absolutely loves that thing.

I'm sure I could've kept a civic, accord, or corolla in the same condition... But utimately, those aren't fun cars to drive and keep.
Appreciate 0