BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

06-18-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
jdub486
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C dct/ e90 335d dd

Pricing of OEM Frozen M3's

I'm looking at 2011 frozen grey m3's and also frozen 2013's. I'm curious what kind of premium these cars should reasonably be commanding. One in particular is priced at around a 25% premium to a normal 2011. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
UPSROD
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Individual colors, frozen or not, don't usually end up selling for any more then a standard color. Many start very high but don't end up selling any higher.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
jdub486
Captain
United_States
Rep

I have noticed that the individual colors don't seem to claim much of premium. I thought the frozen grey (around 60 in US) might fetch a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
Racer-X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition Package

Ditto the above
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #5
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
It will depend on options and condition. Frozen examples may not do as well considering the specialized care required to maintain the frozen look.

Regarding individual pricing--volume will certainly play a role in pricing, not to mention the color itself. Porsche colors: speed yellow, mint green (vested interest), will certainly capture a lot of attention, and in the right market a potential buyer; especially as reception of the replacement M after the E9x hasn't turned the market into subscribers
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
It will depend on options and condition. Frozen examples may not do as well considering the specialized care required to maintain the frozen look.

Regarding individual pricing--volume will certainly play a role in pricing, not to mention the color itself. Porsche colors: speed yellow, mint green (vested interest), will certainly capture a lot of attention, and in the right market a potential buyer; especially as reception of the replacement M after the E9x hasn't turned the market into subscribers
I think it's funny every time I hear about "specialized care" for frozen cars...

My Frozen M3 requires significantly less care than my Alpine White 1 series. No waxing, no buffing, just a wash using wax free soap.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #7
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdre View Post
I think it's funny every time I hear about "specialized care" for frozen cars...

My Frozen M3 requires significantly less care than my Alpine White 1 series. No waxing, no buffing, just a wash using wax free soap.
The moment something rubs against a surface on that car, or something introduces even a small blemish, we'll see then your thoughts about significantly less care

Frozen paint is a fading trend for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #8
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The moment something rubs against a surface on that car, or something introduces even a small blemish, we'll see then your thoughts about significantly less care

Do you own a frozen car? I doesn't seem bad to me at all, I've had road tar marks on the bumper, normal bird shit splatters, tree sap - all came right off using the chemical guys detailer spray.

The common misconception is that frozen cars don't have a clear coat, which they do.

To each their own, I enjoy my standard paint cars and my frozen car equally, but the frozen sure makes for a conversation piece considering it's a completely stock car.
Appreciate 2
      06-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #9
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you own a frozen car? I doesn't seem bad to me at all, I've had road tar marks on the bumper, normal bird shit splatters, tree sap - all came right off using the chemical guys detailer spray.

The common misconception is that frozen cars don't have a clear coat, which they do.

To each their own, I enjoy my standard paint cars and my frozen car equally, but the frozen sure makes for a conversation piece considering it's a completely stock car.
Not addressing either of the critical weaknesses of the frozen paint I made in the previous remark, man. Surface marring, scratches, chips, will be substantial undertakings to repair. To your question, however: do I own a frozen car? Absolutely not. While I certainly admire their unique traits, I made the decision that it is not for me.

Undoubtedly you have seen this video from the goobers at /Drive--Ammo's Larry went to NJ to see and investigate the frozen paint.

Regardless, my remarks are not intended as a slight to you nor your vehicle, but rather an objective assessment considering the condition and expectations I have for the vehicles in my possession.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #10
jdub486
Captain
United_States
Rep

One car I am looking at:

Excellent condition 2011 Special Edition Frozen Gray 1 Owner

All frozen gray are equipped equally with comp pack, heated seats, rear pdc, m mode, edc, enhanced sound, etc.

Car has 27k miles... listed at $45k.

No extended warranty or mods. I am seeing 2013 frozen's in the 45-47k range... so this 2011 seems high.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 08:38 PM   #11
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub486 View Post
One car I am looking at:

Excellent condition 2011 Special Edition Frozen Gray 1 Owner

All frozen gray are equipped equally with comp pack, heated seats, rear pdc, m mode, edc, enhanced sound, etc.

Car has 27k miles... listed at $45k.

No extended warranty or mods. I am seeing 2013 frozen's in the 45-47k range... so this 2011 seems high.
Low to mid 40's is probably right for these cars. In my opinion $47k would be little high unless we're talking ultra low mileage garage queen.

Ultimately, the car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Just my $0.02
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #12
jdub486
Captain
United_States
Rep

ccdre- are you referring to pricing on the 2011's or 2013's?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 10:09 PM   #13
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub486 View Post
ccdre- are you referring to pricing on the 2011's or 2013's?
The 2013's, I went through this process few months ago.

You might find the following link interesting - scroll down to the "Frozen Limited Edition" paragraph for model details and production data:

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=50

Best of luck with your search! You'll love the car once you find the right one .
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 10:12 AM   #14
Frankrizzz
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3

Quote:
Quote:

That's a very subjective comment. Frozen paints are more popular then ever and having owned one, I can say it was easier to maintain then my gloss black paint.
Appreciate 0