BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #67
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blublur View Post
That age and occupation thread has been asked over and over. There are a lot of us old folks on here, just got tired of answering the same old question. I'm 58 and a female, OH, MY! I break all the molds you have in your mind.

mind blown.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #68
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP LCI

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #69
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

[QUOTE=Endless619]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaggen View Post
Before coming to these forums, if you asked me to guess the avg age of a car that's north of $60K, I'd have guessed 45+ with a high income.

I don't fit either of these molds, and it seems neither do many of the members here if you look at the M3 age / occupation post. I'm especially surprised by a lot of members being in their 20s.

So my question is, are M3 drivers younger, or are forum members not representative of the full cohort of E9X M3 drivers?

BMW sales reps: any insight from you would be much appreciated!

Thanks
------------
The question to ask is how many M3 owners have a paid off M3. I bet very few in theirs 20s, and on top of that how many of these 20 years olds have a car payment under $250 a month? I bet very few.

So what does this tell you? Probably a lot of 20 year old M3 owners living paycheck to paycheck and outside of their means, just to own a newer M3. I can almost bet most folks on here have an over $500 a month payment. Show of hands please!

Now if it was a gift from your parents and paid off I would honestly thank them every day. You are the few and are very fortunate. I have no problem with that.

A senior Chief Warrant Officer in the Army just said this to a few enlisted folks. One owns an M3 and the other a ZO6.

While I agree with him I would love to see the age and monthly on here with folks 18 years of age to 25 years of age.

I know I will hear a lot of shit from younger folks on this post but I counsel folks your age in the military for financial issues that come up when they don't make their monthly of $899 a month for a car they shouldn't own when they take home $1300 every two weeks and rent is $1200 a month.

Now 20 year olds working at In and Out Burger have no business owning one of these cars.
29yrs old - $950 a month payment on $14k down. Sizable payment sure, but it represents less than 1/6 of monthly net income, I'd consider it well within "reasonable" financial decision-making. I would also be interested to hear from the under 25 crowd as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #70
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

[QUOTE=nullrouted;14359641]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619
29yrs old - $950 a month payment on $14k down. Sizable payment sure, but it represents less than 1/6 of monthly net income, I'd consider it well within "reasonable" financial decision-making. I would also be interested to hear from the under 25 crowd as well.
Seems reasonable, but again, this depends on your other expenses and future plans as well as income growth potential. If you are near max income for your profession, and have a house and have (or plan to have) kids that you want to get through college then you should be saving a good amount of money also. On he other hand, if your income is going to triple in next 5-8 years, then no worries.
      07-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #71
Smoker_SLC
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW/Bamboo

Kids have been buying cars they can't afford for years. Its just the cars change and seem more expensive.

There's no way I would buy a 17 year old an M3 as a 'reward'. Buy them a car? Maybe, but work up to something as quick as an M3 because let's face it, teenagers are a little impulsive and when it all ends in tears, better it a $15k mustang than a $75k Beemer. I don't care how rich you are, teach the kids to appreciate crap and how to look after it properly when it comes to maintenance time. Way too many kids know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

For the record, I'm 40, the E92 is my 2nd M3 (had an E46) and my 5th BMW but probably my 30th 'vehicle'. I like toys but not necessarily new, expensive ones. The leaky 1990 YJ and '88 Suzuki Samurai can attest to that.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #72
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP LCI

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker_SLC
Kids have been buying cars they can't afford for years. Its just the cars change and seem more expensive.

There's no way I would buy a 17 year old an M3 as a 'reward'. Buy them a car? Maybe, but work up to something as quick as an M3 because let's face it, teenagers are a little impulsive and when it all ends in tears, better it a $15k mustang than a $75k Beemer. I don't care how rich you are, teach the kids to appreciate crap and how to look after it properly when it comes to maintenance time. Way too many kids know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

For the record, I'm 40, the E92 is my 2nd M3 (had an E46) and my 5th BMW but probably my 30th 'vehicle'. I like toys but not necessarily new, expensive ones. The leaky 1990 YJ and '88 Suzuki Samurai can attest to that.
Love the Samurai!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #73
Smoker_SLC
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW/Bamboo

Yeah compare it the Heep I have its lighter, easier to work on, cheaper and more reliable. Approach angles are a million times better too. It runs a 4 Wheeler winch its so light. Just don't tell the Jeep Fanboys lol.

All I do to the M3 is wash, vacuum & polish. O and drive it like a maniac.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #74
beemerdude5150
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_man View Post
This is not true what so ever, my parents in fact bought me my m3 because my previous car was just in to bad of shape and well they could. I am extremely appreciative of my car and actually anal about taking care of it to the point them and my sister have both said on several occasions "it's just a car nick, it can be replaced." While I do work under my dad and have the option of calling in whenever I want(which i do frequently as my summer courses have been killing me), I am also the guy who on friday nights is still at the office at 9:30pm getting work done for saturday. I do agree this generation is extremely lazy, heck i know this one family where both sons are high school drop outs and have no job or any source of income and the parents bought them both sports cars (amg; 335is) and both are modded the heck out(using parents money), but it doesn't phase me because to each their own. I would love to sit on my ass and get to mod my car while doing absolutely nothing.. heck who wouldn't. But that is just not reasonable. So not all the people whose parents buy them an m3 are the same.. just saying.

Sorry for the long rant, I just started typing and it just kept going lol
Take it easy. Defensive much? Lol just a car nick.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #75
apexkingjusto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Nasa ST2 S2000

I believe the OP started this thread in regards to cost and nothing to do with safety. Cost alone with today's I low rates if your making good money, have a low rent, are putting money aside, and don't plan to buy house soon all the power to you!

That said I'm 32 own a house have a 16m old married, have good savings, and bought my car out completely.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #76
nujabes24
Forever Rest In Beats
Rep
Drives: 2014 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexkingjusto View Post
I believe the OP started this thread in regards to cost and nothing to do with safety. Cost alone with today's I low rates if your making good money, have a low rent, are putting money aside, and don't plan to buy house soon all the power to you!

That said I'm 32 own a house have a 16m old married, have good savings, and bought my car out completely.
Well, well, well I envy you my friend. I hope I'm at the position 8 years from now when I'm at that age. But right now I'm saving and relaxing until i feel I should buy a house. But everything you said above is what I'm doing and it's working pretty good. I like the post thou
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #77
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nujabes24 View Post
Well, well, well I envy you my friend. I hope I'm at the position 8 years from now when I'm at that age. But right now I'm saving and relaxing until i feel I should buy a house. But everything you said above is what I'm doing and it's working pretty good. I like the post thou
Remember save to a point. Do not save everything. You can be gone from this Earth tomorrow or in a month or 50 years. You never know. I have seen so many folks save and save and save, come to find out they were in a car wreck and passed away. The money then went to the state.

Have a plan and live a little.
Appreciate 0