BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

01-10-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335XI (sold)/E92 M3 (sold)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Insurance covering CF roof replacement success rate?

I just spotted a tiny crack in my CF roof and there is a small patch of bubbles around it.

Not sure where it came from...maybe road debris or possibly damage from when I had the near miss with a tree limb.

I was thinking of putting a claim in and crossing my fingers I can only pay my deductible to fix it.

How many of you guys have been successful with your insurance footing the bill for our CF roof replacement; due to road damage, etc?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
OneCleanBMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I would buy it and get it replaced by a body shop. Anything through insurance is only going to raise your premium so you're going to pay more in the long run.
Appreciate 1
IanMan384.00
      01-10-2020, 01:50 PM   #3
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCleanBMW View Post
I would buy it and get it replaced by a body shop. Anything through insurance is only going to raise your premium so you're going to pay more in the long run.
Going rate for a CF roof is like $1,600 not including labor. With labor, I have heard, $3K or so. Would gladly pay my $300 deductible and a little bit extra on my monthly premium instead of forking over $3K in one fell swoop at this point.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #4
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Double that!! It'll be more like $6k to replace. Pn 54108045327 for the roof skin. Glueing it it requires removal of both front and rear glass as well as disassembly of headliner assembly etc.

OP I doubt the carbon itself is cracked, probably just needs reclearing. That carbon is some real tough stuff
      01-10-2020, 02:44 PM   #5
OneCleanBMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by revengeismine View Post
Going rate for a CF roof is like $1,600 not including labor. With labor, I have heard, $3K or so. Would gladly pay my $300 deductible and a little bit extra on my monthly premium instead of forking over $3K in one fell swoop at this point.
I found it online new for $1,200. Used ones I can see are going for $400-$500.

It's not a $1,500 labor job.

I wouldn't mark my insurance up with a claim. That's me though.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 02:49 PM   #6
Mr. BMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
06 330i Monaco Blue/Black (retired)
02 X5 3.0 Topaz Blue/Black (retired)
Appreciate 1
IanMan384.00
      01-10-2020, 02:57 PM   #7
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Double that!! It'll be more like $6k to replace. Pn 54108045327 for the roof skin. Glueing it it requires removal of both front and rear glass as well as disassembly of headliner assembly etc.

OP I doubt the carbon itself is cracked, probably just needs reclearing. That carbon is some real tough stuff
Yea the fiber itself is totally intact. Its just the clear. I will probably have my detailer gave it the ole college try. If it doesn't look any better, I will see what my insurance will provide for a reclearing or a total roof swap.

I have read that a ton of body shops don't want to touch carbon fiber roofs with just reclearing. I just found a few guys on here who have had their insurance pay for the repair and ultimately ended up replacing the whole roof rather than reclearing only.

Last edited by BeaterM3; 01-10-2020 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #8
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCleanBMW View Post
I found it online new for $1,200. Used ones I can see are going for $400-$500.

It's not a $1,500 labor job.

I wouldn't mark my insurance up with a claim. That's me though.

Good luck.
From I have seen from the guys who have paid out of pocket to replace CF roofs, one guy spent $2600, another spent $4500. So pretty expensive and definitely something I cant spend in one fell swoop.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 03:03 PM   #9
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BMW View Post
I will try later
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 07:17 PM   #10
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

I'm baffled why anyone would consider replacing the roof for some cracks in the clear coat.

I'm also baffled that any shop would turn the repair work down. If they say they can't sand and re clear coat then you probably wouldn't want them touching you're car in the first place.

I worked in aviation composites repair shop for several years, it's not magic.

Sand the damage out, clear the crap out of it, wet sand and buff. Or sand the damage out, scuff the entire panel and clear it.

Take it to a reputable body shop and don't pay more than $1,500 for the repair. That is if there is no damage in the carbon itself.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #11
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
I'm baffled why anyone would consider replacing the roof for some cracks in the clear coat.

I'm also baffled that any shop would turn the repair work down. If they say they can't sand and re clear coat then you probably wouldn't want them touching you're car in the first place.

Sand the damage out, clear the crap out of it, wet sand and buff. Or sand the damage out, scuff the entire panel and clear it.

Take it to a reputable body shop and don't pay more than $1,500 for the repair. That is if there is no damage in the carbon itself.
The reason is that they dont have experience with cf repair, or they have had bad experience with cf repair. I dont blame any shop that does not want to touch cf, and to say those shops are not worthy of working on somebody's precious BMW is well, snooty. I have re-cleared cf roofs in my shop, some go well, others went terribly wrong. After my experience, i will no longer take in those jobs, they just are not worth the time and effort required for a $1500 job.
      01-10-2020, 07:27 PM   #12
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

The carbon is fine. It's the top coat. I just dont wanna pay a large chunk of cash upfront; def not $1500. If I can get insurance to cover it (whether they authorize just a reclearing or a full roof replacement) for my deductible and possibly a slight premium increase, I'll take it over spending $$$ upfront.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 07:48 PM   #13
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
Quote:

The reason is that they dont have experience with cf repair, or they have had bad experience with cf repair. I dont blame any shop that does not want to touch cf, and to say those shops are not worthy of working on somebody's precious BMW is well, snooty. I have re-cleared cf roofs in my shop, some go well, others went terribly wrong. After my experience, i will no longer take in those jobs, they just are not worth the time and effort required for a $1500 job.
It's not snotty, the man said it's a tiny crack. There is an automotive clear coat on the carbon because epoxy alone is UV protective. I stand by my statement, if you can't sand and clear carbon then I wouldn't want you to touch my car in the first place. An exterior cleared automotive carbon fiber panel with a tiny imperfection that a customer needs repaired is money in the bank. I don't know what went wrong with you're previous repairs but I'm sure if they were that bad than they were more than a tiny crack.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 07:53 PM   #14
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by revengeismine View Post
Quote:

The carbon is fine. It's the top coat. I just dont wanna pay a large chunk of cash upfront; def not $1500. If I can get insurance to cover it (whether they authorize just a reclearing or a full roof replacement) for my deductible and possibly a slight premium increase, I'll take it over spending $$$ upfront.
I would be shocked yet interested if the insurance company authorizes a new roof. Now if the crack is from the carbon separating from the attaching structures of the roof than I might see the need but if it's just a clear coat crack, I'm switching my insurance to whoever you have.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:06 AM   #15
SRB_Mpower
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I have a bullet in my CF roof and it is peeling around it. I did an estimate through my insurance and they quoted $4700 to replace it. I still haven't done it. That was considered an incident (New years - someone shooting up in the air) so the insurance would cover it, not sure about it just peeling on its own.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
BayE301341.00
Kelse921131.50
      01-13-2020, 09:17 AM   #16
IanMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRB_Mpower View Post
I have a bullet in my CF roof and it is peeling around it. I did an estimate through my insurance and they quoted $4700 to replace it. I still haven't done it. That was considered an incident (New years - someone shooting up in the air) so the insurance would cover it, not sure about it just peeling on its own.

I have.....

.....questions.... :|
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #17
SRB_Mpower
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMan View Post
I have.....

.....questions.... :|
LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:28 AM   #18
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Definitely get that fixed! The car probably handles like a convertible now..
      01-13-2020, 09:39 AM   #19
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Holy shit. Hope you get that fixed man. Mine is not even close to that. Barely a blip but it does make me feel more confident that insurance could cover mine if I wanted to go with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 11:08 AM   #20
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Well at least we now know a CF roof can stop bullets.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 12:16 PM   #21
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

The reason a lot of body shops won't want to re clear it is because they're not familiar with carbon fiber and will not take a risk in damaging it. Find a body shop that deals with carbon parts a lot and ask them for quote on re clearing the roof. It's not that difficult of a job, just need to remove the current expoxy resin from the roof, mask the roof and car and shoot clear coat on there. I know a few shops here in San Diego that will do it for $1000.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 07:06 PM   #22
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Quote:
Honestly that's scary and cool too. Clear over it!
Appreciate 0