BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-27-2019, 11:11 PM   #1
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///E36,E46,E92,F80

PPI results: 2011 E92, 77k miles DCT

I'd just like to share my PPI results for some input and whether the items are heavy concerns or somewhat typical characteristics for the E92. Overall the car is in great shape, no surprises. However the below was highlighted:
  • Both valve covers show 'seeping'
  • Differential right output 'seeping'
  • Transmission 'seeping'
  • Battery needs to be replaced
  • Brake fluid due for replacement
  • Minor shavings observed in oil (knew this coming in that RB's need to be addressed)
  • Cabin filter dirty

Regarding "seeping", i believe they categorize the level of extremity from moist, seep, to leak and did mention at the car's age/mileage it is not surprising but of course recommended to address the above. I did not note down estimated cost but I recall it was substantial..somewhere in the 3-3.5k for the 'seeping' work. Battery ~$400 for OEM.

Any feedback is welcome.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:45 PM   #2
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Battery, brake fluid, and cabin filters are ordinary, cheap maintenance items so nothing to worry or address there.
The other items are not unusual at all for the mileage, but are not the cheapest services to address. That’s several thousand dollars, not including the RB job. If it’s just the lower DCT pan, that can be $500, if it’s the side pan, then add $1K.
If that’s all they caught in the PPI and the car is otherwise clean and exactly what you want, I would just use the PPI to negotiate a price reduction of $2-3K.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:52 PM   #3
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

"Minor shavings in the oil", is that from oil analysis or visual mate? If the latter I personally would stay away.

Like Wyatth and your shop says for the other; normal maintenance but certainly not free and most probably you will find more things to add to the list, plugs etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:53 PM   #4
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
Battery, brake fluid, and cabin filters are ordinary, cheap maintenance items so nothing to worry or address there.
The other items are not unusual at all for the mileage, but are not the cheapest services to address. That’s several thousand dollars, not including the RB job. If it’s just the lower DCT pan, that can be $500, if it’s the side pan, then add $1K.
If that’s all they caught in the PPI and the car is otherwise clean and exactly what you want, I would just use the PPI to negotiate a price reduction of $2-3K.
I gotta say we think a-like. The initial asking was 27k, prior to the PPI, I negotiated 2k off due to knowing the RB's will need to be addressed. Post PPI, was able to agree to a 23.5k deal. I was just looking for 2nd opinions on this type of 'seeping' behavior as this is my first E92. Thanks for the info so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:07 AM   #5
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
"Minor shavings in the oil", is that from oil analysis or visual mate? If the latter I personally would stay away.

Like Wyatth and your shop says for the other; normal maintenance but certainly not free and most probably you will find more things to add to the list, plugs etc.
If put that way it def sounds alarming doesn't it. This shop is pretty reputable and would hope he would have told me to stay away as well if it were visual. That said, it sounded like he was eluding to the RB's but perhaps I'll shoot them an email to clarify their methods.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:59 AM   #6
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE36TRO View Post
If put that way it def sounds alarming doesn't it. This shop is pretty reputable and would hope he would have told me to stay away as well if it were visual. That said, it sounded like he was eluding to the RB's but perhaps I'll shoot them an email to clarify their methods.
As you probably read on the forum the latter bearings (2011-) don't have a soft final "wear/debris pick-up" layer, the same way previous shells had. As this is a 2011 I'd be even more cautious with shavings.
I should point out that this is far from a professional opinion though. Lets see if some of tge experts chime in here.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 01:24 AM   #7
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Reading this on my phone and don’t think I saw or processed the metal shavings. That’s definitely worth clarifying and a potential red flag.
Did you test drive it? Did the engine feel and sound good?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 01:29 AM   #8
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
Reading this on my phone and don’t think I saw or processed the metal shavings. That’s definitely worth clarifying and a potential red flag.
Did you test drive it? Did the engine feel and sound good?
I'll email and have them clarify their methods. Yes - sounded fine and performed great. The PPI was done and SVBimmer.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 01:32 AM   #9
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

I highly doubt they used some analytical method to determine shavings in the oil. Leads me to think it was visual and if so, no bueno.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 02:05 AM   #10
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

OP, btw seems you do have a proper shop. Having a dealer doing a PPI over here I bet they wouldn't even find the trans leak, cause too much work to take the cover off (DCT)... So that should be a good start, lets see what they feel about the shavings!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 08:46 AM   #11
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
OP, btw seems you do have a proper shop. Having a dealer doing a PPI over here I bet they wouldn't even find the trans leak, cause too much work to take the cover off (DCT)... So that should be a good start, lets see what they feel about the shavings!
Yes very reputable here in CA. I’ll sync up after the holiday weekend and ask to clarify. I’n the meantime, the RB work is already on the calendar but for my wallets sake will tend to the other “seeping” the next round
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 09:30 PM   #12
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Ummm.. all of the above "seeping" are somewhat normal (by themselves), but could be a disaster since you have the trifecta... but #1, if you have any sort of metal shavings in the oil RUN AWAY as fast as you can. literally. So many choices out there. run run run... doesn't matter if metal shavings were in oil, doing rob bearings after the fact is just flushing more money down the toilet.

Not that it matters, since you should run away, but the other seeping are somewhat normal, but the Diff, tranny, and valve covers all being culprits, conservatively assume that's $4K+ to get those alone fixed assuming you aren't DIYing, and if any of those are beyond just gaskets and have further damage like replacing actual valve covers, or replacing the entire Diff (never know) then add $2-4K more.. this has all the signs of a $10K-$25K repair job car (assuming the worst, which happens, TRUST me)... run run run
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 10:14 PM   #13
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
I think he already bought it guys. Too late to run away...
      11-29-2019, 12:37 AM   #14
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

As mentioned above, if they drained a bit of oil and actually saw shavings of metal run away. Never a good sign. Everything else is pretty common on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 01:05 AM   #15
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hello all, thanks for the info so far, it's definitely informative and warrants concern. To be clear, I have already purchased the vehicle for a price that took into consideration the work mentioned above. Whether or not the decision will result in long term consequence is now a responsibility I own. Asides from the items of concern, the car does sound and drive well. It is a Mineral White DCT w/ two-tone black/fox red interior with a clean body (clean title, no accidents or past body/paint work) which is why I chose to accept. As mentioned earlier, my Indy shop did point these items out but did not give the impression of a deal breaker hence I moved forward. Currently the car will be 'on ice' while waiting for my RB appt etc but as of this moment the car looks and feels great.

Definitely more than happy to keep this dialogue open and report back their detailed explanation for that comment...To be continued.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 01:35 AM   #16
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Hello all, thanks for the info so far, it's definitely informative and warrants concern. To be clear, I have already purchased the vehicle for a price that took into consideration the work mentioned above. Whether or not the decision will result in long term consequence is now a responsibility I own. Asides from the items of concern, the car does sound and drive well. It is a Mineral White DCT w/ two-tone black/fox red interior with a clean body (clean title, no accidents or past body/paint work) which is why I chose to accept. As mentioned earlier, my Indy shop did point these items out but did not give the impression of a deal breaker hence I moved forward. Currently the car will be 'on ice' while waiting for my RB appt etc but as of this moment the car looks and feels great.

Definitely more than happy to keep this dialogue open and report back their detailed explanation for that comment...To be continued.
Good luck mate. Others have had shavings in the oil to find out bearings where toast while crank was fine - new shells in and off you go.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 01:40 AM   #17
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I had a severe case of bearing wear and metal shavings found in oil, my crank was fine though. I recommend addressing them soon though! Pic for reference, man it's scary how much these things wear 😬
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 01:45 AM   #18
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
I had a severe case of bearing wear and metal shavings found in oil, my crank was fine though. I recommend addressing them soon though! Pic for reference, man it's scary how much these things wear 😬
Curious what year E9x? And if above 2011, would it have a similar signature?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 02:10 AM   #19
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
Curious what year E9x? And if above 2011, would it have a similar signature?
2010 so I had copper bearings. 2011+ come with aluminum so they show wear differently, always good to change them regardless of year though
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 02:45 AM   #20
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25 X3

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
battery is easy. I got 90AGM(same size) from AutoZone and I have INPA in my computer to register the new battery. Seems you are in Bay Area too, let me know if you need help with it.

The battery is very heavy and in the corner well where you cannot pull it straight up
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 04:00 PM   #21
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hello all, would like to circle back on this thread as I've finally gotten a chance to speak w/ the Indy shop which performed the PPI. So their method of oil inspection was simply visual, a pull-out the oil filter and observing tiny particles. Whether or not this is RB material they are not certain until performed but mentioned it is not an unusual finding but something that needs to be addressed. Since the PPI, I have only driven ~30 miles or so to get acquainted w/ the car (no redline) while I wait for my BE bearing back order. From normal driving, the car feels and sounds great but nonetheless will have all preventative maintenance done any day now.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 02:10 PM   #22
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335XI (sold)/E92 M3 (sold)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I'd just like to share my PPI results for some input and whether the items are heavy concerns or somewhat typical characteristics for the E92. Overall the car is in great shape, no surprises. However the below was highlighted:
  • Both valve covers show 'seeping'
  • Differential right output 'seeping'
  • Transmission 'seeping'
  • Battery needs to be replaced
  • Brake fluid due for replacement
  • Minor shavings observed in oil (knew this coming in that RB's need to be addressed)
  • Cabin filter dirty

Regarding "seeping", i believe they categorize the level of extremity from moist, seep, to leak and did mention at the car's age/mileage it is not surprising but of course recommended to address the above. I did not note down estimated cost but I recall it was substantial..somewhere in the 3-3.5k for the 'seeping' work. Battery ~$400 for OEM.

Any feedback is welcome.
How much are the valve covers "seeping"? Because for the most part, they all seep a little. The guys who did my RBs and DCT said the valve covers are slightly seeping but nothing out of the ordinary to worry about.

The DCT is most likely the bottom pan. Those are notorious for leaking. I had mine replaced while doing the RBs. You might want to get clarification whether its the bottom pan, the mechatronics, or both and how much of it has leaked out.

I had a shop tell me it was both the bottom and mecha. The guys who did my RBs told me that is was only the bottom ... that the liquid near the mecha was from the A/C drain off and people confuse it sometimes for seepage and the first shop was trying to scam me into getting it fixed.

Cost me like $500 to fix the bottom pan.

When I bought my M3, I probably only drove it like 30 miles before grounding it until I got the RBs done as well. I think that is a good move. It is overkill? Maybe...but I didn't want to take the chance.
Appreciate 0