BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

07-27-2020, 08:13 AM   #23
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Would be nice to have more space. I use my e92 M3 as kind of a daily. Mostly just to surf.

Tested the new X3M yesterday. Heard it was fast. The only thing I remembered from the test drive was the uncomfortable seats (must be made for a very small person) and the massive amount of turbo lag. If u floor the car from a stop off idle it does 0-20mph in 4 seconds. Then at 20mph a huge surge of power. Same if you are cruising drop a gear and floor it and it needs a lot of time to spool. Would be very frustrating to own this car. But I liked the size. Looks on this car are debatable.

Maybe downpipes will fix the lag. Maybe a tune. I dunno but it was super annoying to be WOT and not going anywhere for a while. In today's world for a new $80k M car I was very disappointed.
One thing I learned about the X3M is that it is imperative that you have the trans setting right. At 1 bar, I thought the same thing as you. At 3 bars, the car is pretty responsive and feels like a completely different animal. 2 is what I'd use for everyday driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Yeah I wish they offered the V8 in the 4runner still. Rumors of a new gen or a diesel have been around for years. Who knows if it will ever happen. Towing my boat is one of the reasons I was considering a Jeep.

I also considered F150s but they also don't come close to the reliability or cost of ownership of the Toyota.

I was spoiled by my 4th gen in terms of cost and im having trouble wrapping my head around fun car depreciation again. I bought the 4runner for $16,000, drove it for 6 years, and sold it for $11,000.
I absolutely swear by Toyota reliability. I picked up a 2016 Tundra Platinum last year and use it probably 4 days a week now. There's something so nice about having a vehicle that you can trust at all times, and know that repairs will be dirt cheap if something comes up. It suits my needs perfectly, and is more capable than I'll ever need it to be (i.e I have 0 need for 10k+ lbs towing capacity). Technology wise, it's definitely behind its competitors, but mechanically, none of them touch the Tundra's reliability.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2020, 08:39 AM   #24
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
One thing I learned about the X3M is that it is imperative that you have the trans setting right. At 1 bar, I thought the same thing as you. At 3 bars, the car is pretty responsive and feels like a completely different animal. 2 is what I'd use for everyday driving.

I absolutely swear by Toyota reliability. I picked up a 2016 Tundra Platinum last year and use it probably 4 days a week now. There's something so nice about having a vehicle that you can trust at all times, and know that repairs will be dirt cheap if something comes up. It suits my needs perfectly, and is more capable than I'll ever need it to be (i.e I have 0 need for 10k+ lbs towing capacity). Technology wise, it's definitely behind its competitors, but mechanically, none of them touch the Tundra's reliability.
The intangible feeling of "my car is gonna start every time I get in it" is priceless. I'm glad my wife isn't a car nut and loves her Highlander. At least 1/2 of my car life will always be easy...
Appreciate 1
W///7483.50
      07-27-2020, 01:39 PM   #25
lagunablue1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / F97 X3M

Quote:
Interesting. I was actually considering a 16-18 SRT but after reading the Jeep forums I got scared off.

Specifically
- water pump weakness. Fails at 50k like a 35i x5. Whats up with that?
- CF trim bubbling and peeling
- CF trim separating
- external body trim coming unglued (this happened on my dads Summit)
- 9mpg not that it should matter if youre buying in this segment

You have not experienced any of this?
I have a '17 SRT coming up on 60k miles that I bought CPO. It has had zero of those issues.

I need something that can tow the boat and I was so bored of driving my '16 Tacoma. My SRT has been dead reliable and is a lot of fun to drive. I agree with the previous poster regarding MPG - if you drive it like a normal SUV, the gas mileage is quite respectable. I can usually get up to 12.5 l/100km (18-19 MPG) on long highway drives with cruise control.
Appreciate 1
dmk087316.00
      08-10-2020, 03:15 PM   #26
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Interesting. I was actually considering a 16-18 SRT but after reading the Jeep forums I got scared off.

Specifically
- CF trim separating

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
I've only had the vehicle for 1.5 yrs and it's garaged (so heat/sun aren't as big of an issue). I mean, the only real issue you note is the water pump, which I read as well. Given the problems that many BMWs have (including those associated with the s65), a water pump really isn't a big deal should it fail. I've had no interior issues at all. The bubbling/peeling is for the material on the dashboard which is fancy vinyl or leather (depending on the trim).
The rumor I've heard is that FCA changed the glue in the '18+ GCs. I have no idea if it's true or not. I also have a sun shield I put on if I have to keep the car in direct sunlight for any length of time as a precautionary measure. I've also never heard of exterior trim falling off the outside of SRT or trackhawk models. Maybe it's happened to someone, it's just not something I hear about in any numbers.

As far as mileage is concerned, I've never gotten 9 mpg, even when towing the corrado. I'm usually between 13-15 mpg. I see a lot of d-bags with these who seem to think the throttle is an on-off switch. If you drive it reasonably, you won't see 9 mpg. But yeah, even 15mpg isn't exactly economical. It's not a vehicle for everyone, that's for sure. It's more exciting to drive than a 4Runner, but likely less reliable. It's not as nice of a vehicle as an X5, but it is a lot faster than whatever new X5 you're going to get for the price and from a reliability perspective, I'd put my money on the Jeep (given that the platform and engine have been around for a while). And interesting---if it matters to you---the unlike most other Jeep/Ram/Dodge products, the ZF 8-speed is made in Germany (the others with a similar transmission are made in the US).

I'm not at all saying any of the options you noted are bad or that you must buy the SRT, but I do think you should have a go in one before you settle back into a 4Runner (I'm a big fan of these FYI and if they could tow more, I'd probably own one).
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Not to derail, but our '17 GC Overland has been fantastic. Surely not as fun as the SRTs, but there's a lot of boxes that can get checked at a reasonable price. Tows great, rides great, does 4x4 great, hauls stroller great. Good value when bought used. I truly wanted an SRT, but I think I would have gotten mad the first time a Cheeto stained the suede. Cheaper and less to worry about = I'll go get a dedicated fun ride.
I have a 2018 Jeep GC Limited with the 5.7 Hemi. It is really all you need power wise. It pulls my enclosed trailer without a problem, great in the snow, plenty of utility, looks great (i think), all the latest tech, etc.

Sorry to digress from your thread topic OP...
      08-11-2020, 12:42 AM   #27
W12x
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

Quote:

Specifically
- CF trim separating

Had an 2014 GC SRT a few years back, can confirm both CF trim issues (and a little surprised since it's been years and they didn't fix it).

The alignment was also way off when we picked up the car brand new, their PDI sucks.

Two other issues I had with mine:
1. All LCD dashboard randomly shut down one night, although it came back the next morning, could be due to cold weather (it was about 5-10F that night, not often in East Texas)

2. The Bilstein adjustable suspension had issues about a year into the ownership, and became really bouncy, fixed under warranty.

The car itself however, is phenomenal to drive, and being a Chrysler it's much easier to get extended warranty for a reasonable price compared to M cars, if you want to keep it long term. And with a mixed of city and highway driving I was getting similar mileage as my M3, which is about 13-15MPG depends on how you drive.