BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

10-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #45
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
The short answer is no, the maps are not already preloaded. I had to advise my CA of the fact that they needed to upload the european maps to my harddrive, and they were able to do so free of charge prior to delivery. The best advice I could give is to give your CA a call and tell him/her about this so they can plan on it prior to delivery, because the car will not come with the european maps straight from Regensburg.
Thanks for the heads up. Our car won't go in to production for a while so that will give me some time to arrange this. Appreciate the information...just need to wait through the Bavarian winter.....
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 01:59 PM   #46
marwan
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP E92 M3

those arches blades in the new iDrive interface look like the XBOX 360 interface

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #47
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Cool
      10-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #48
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
The short answer is no, the maps are not already preloaded. I had to advise my CA of the fact that they needed to upload the european maps to my harddrive, and they were able to do so free of charge prior to delivery. The best advice I could give is to give your CA a call and tell him/her about this so they can plan on it prior to delivery, because the car will not come with the european maps straight from Regensburg.
Seems illogical that they wouldn't preload Euro maps when you do ED. But now that you mention this I will be asking!

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #49
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Seems illogical that they wouldn't preload Euro maps when you do ED. But now that you mention this I will be asking!
yeah, i'm sure that BMW would take care of it during PDI for ED cars...but I'm a mil sales customer so I don't think they are as careful with us!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 07:07 AM   #50
bryanwxup
B. W.
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i US Spec

Post Smartphone/idrive 2009 system

You stated that the car has the smartphone option..

I pick up a 2009 335i M sport paket in 2 weeks from BMW Military sales.

Have you used this thing.. the $150 option? The details are so cryptic on what is supported and what is not.

Also, I see they preloaded Germany maps for you on the harddrive, and you said the traffic is not working. I agree that is BS. Have you heard of a work-around? I wonder if the 2008 or earlier models had traffic?

I brought my TomTom GO930 over from the states and had to buy an RDS/TMC receiver on ebay.de for 10 EURO to get the traffic to work here. Fairly effortless once I found out that the US antenna looks exactly the same as the Euro TomTom antenna.

It appears that the DATA that is transmitted through RDS/TMC over here is not the same as in states. Even though you can fine-tune what FM frequency you want, that has no bearing on what DATA you will receive.

Just food for thought on how to get the traffic working over here. What bummer to drop 60G on a new BMW and then have to drive through cities on the autobahn at rush hour without the traffic. I will be damned if I have to take my TomTom with me in the car for traffic situations - it is supposed to be for my wife to use.

Thankx
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 07:16 AM   #51
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Traffic Info worked in a friend's US 2008 135i with iDrive when he did ED last month.

You can try reprogramming your CCC to Euro frequencies if you live in Germany anyways and see what happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanwxup View Post

Have you used this thing.. the $150 option? The details are so cryptic on what is supported and what is not.

Also, I see they preloaded Germany maps for you on the harddrive, and you said the traffic is not working. I agree that is BS. Have you heard of a work-around? I wonder if the 2008 or earlier models had traffic?

I brought my TomTom GO930 over from the states and had to buy an RDS/TMC receiver on ebay.de for 10 EURO to get the traffic to work here. Fairly effortless once I found out that the US antenna looks exactly the same as the Euro TomTom antenna.

It appears that the DATA that is transmitted through RDS/TMC over here is not the same as in states. Even though you can fine-tune what FM frequency you want, that has no bearing on what DATA you will receive.

Just food for thought on how to get the traffic working over here. What bummer to drop 60G on a new BMW and then have to drive through cities on the autobahn at rush hour without the traffic. I will be damned if I have to take my TomTom with me in the car for traffic situations - it is supposed to be for my wife to use.

Thankx
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 07:18 AM   #52
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:

Thankx

I don't have a smartphone, nor do I have the smartphone integration option...so I can't help you there.

As far as traffic goes, my 07 335i had it, so I don't understand why the M doesn't. It is a total load of crap and I'm going to keep pestering BMW until I get an answer.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #53
cardsdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive Msport

I have an 09 335xi sedan with idrive on order. In perusing the manual, it indicates that in order to voice dial a name it has to be separately entered in the car's "voice phone book". I was under the impression that in the 1st gen system once contacts were transfered over from your phone you could voice dial anyone in the phone book without additional "voice phone book" entries. Can this be verified?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #54
bryanwxup
B. W.
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i US Spec

Picked up the 09 335i Thursday. I honestly can't tell if traffic is working or not. I can "enable" traffic and dynamic route guidance in the idrive, but during my first 800km all over middle Germany Autobahns the last couple of days, I never saw the routes being recalculated or anything, and I sat in quite a bit of traffic.

Also, when looking into the split screen "traffic info", it is always stated in white text, "no traffic info". However that text is not greyed out like the SOS functions which definitively do not work over here, so that would lead me to believe that it IS working??

The dealers can't give me a straight answer, saying the cars have come out before these questions were answered.

By the way, what do you mean reprogramming the CCC?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #55
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Picked up the 09 335i Thursday. I honestly can't tell if traffic is working or not. I can "enable" traffic and dynamic route guidance in the idrive, but during my first 800km all over middle Germany Autobahns the last couple of days, I never saw the routes being recalculated or anything, and I sat in quite a bit of traffic.

Also, when looking into the split screen "traffic info", it is always stated in white text, "no traffic info". However that text is not greyed out like the SOS functions which definitively do not work over here, so that would lead me to believe that it IS working??

The dealers can't give me a straight answer, saying the cars have come out before these questions were answered.

By the way, what do you mean reprogramming the CCC?
Haven't we had previous threads about this issue? I think US-spec models can read US traffic info only, even when in Germany. So your RTTI would work in the US but not overseas. Apologies if I've got this wrong, but I could swear I've read threads on this topic. My car is pre-RTTI.