BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

01-05-2019, 07:21 PM   #1
Sgt. Schultz
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 convertible

e93 6spd - new member intro and some Q's

Picked up this Jerez '08 w/ 89k recently, been enjoying the heck out of it - save for the @$$ploded plastic (WTF!?) idler pulley a few weeks into it. Coming out of a long line of S & M... errrr, Audi's and BMW's that is 8-)

Anywho, some annoying noob questions for youses, if you'll kindly indulge me?:

- radio stays on after pushing the engine off button, requiring a 2nd press of the button... anyway to program that to just turn off w/ the engine like a normal car?
- radio occasionally just randomly reboots - wtf?
- seatbelt chime from hell - I ALWAYS buckle, but damn is it annoying if I unbuckle early... anyway to program around that?
- glovebox won't stay unlocked - what's the trick? (don't get me started on how the manuals don't fit in there - dumb!)
- intermittent and rain sensor wipers seem to have mind of their own and adj wheel doesn't seem to do anything - secret handshake?
- dual zone climate control - no 'pairing' option for the passenger's to slave off the driver?
- clunk from right rear area when setting off - sounds like a small water bottle falling over in trunk can hear soft thud but not feel it. Don't think it'd be subframe or diff bushings @ 91k...
- vanity mirror slide fused shut - any suggestions?
- best way to pair an iPhone these days to stream via Amazon Music? Read an old thread about using a headphone setup of some sort, but that was yearssss ago.
- how to adjust ebrake? I'd like it a bit tighter/lower.

I appreciate any insight you all might offer, and look forward to being a member of this community. Thanks in advance!

Obligatory pics:

(UGH - why are my pics not showing? I copy/pasted the URL from the address bar of my hosting site - what am I doing wrong?)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
da jemster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3,E93 M3,F22 M235i,i1 i3

Congratz!
      01-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #3
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

Congrats on the car. Now onto your questions...
I'm not aware of anyone coding the radio to turn it off with a single button push. I guess you could find someone to code it or just push the start button twice or push the volume button to mute it. The radio reboot is a new one on me. It could be a failure in the Idrive if I had to guess. This is common in Fords and usually is a head unit crapping out. Not sure what you mean the glove box won't stay unlocked? I'm curious to know if you think the rear end klunk is coming from the diff or the suspension. The diff will make noise when it's cold and you pull a tight turn but not a klunking noise as you described. It maybe time to inspect the rear suspension with that mileage and see if something needs to be replaced. Just remember, at the mileage somethings will need to be addressed but it's one heck of a car.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 08:31 PM   #4
SohoE93
#topdownS65
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Buy a Carly and you can code the car to however you want to customize the features, including disabling the seat belt chime...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 12:26 AM   #5
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Congrats, just use imgur for pictures, and link the album

1) No way to do that from what I know, just turn down the volume of the radio if it bothers you that much

2) Sounds like a common thing with the CCC rebooting on its own randomly

3) Just unbuckle when you come to a stop? but yes you can code the chime/warning away if you really want

4) Cant answer; someone else can

5) Wiper systems are ass on BMWs, the knob I believe controls how fast it goes with your speed but auto sometimes doesn't trigger its annoying.

6) Cant answer; dont know what you mean

7) Cant answer; Get it checked out by an Indy shop; Someone else can answer; Maybe Diff fluid needs changing?

8) Cant answer; dont know what you mean

9) Only cars 2011.5+ can Bluetooth stream audio with COMBOX, you can retrofit it, it does get quite pricey for the feature or you can buy a bluetooth Tune2Air type thing(Bovee; look around) but the best audio quality you get will always be by hardwire aka Aux Cord

10) I suggest getting someone who know what they're doing to do it for you
      01-06-2019, 02:11 AM   #6
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

To turn off the radio with the engine all you need to do is press and hold the engine off button. No need to press it twice or coding.

Long press shuts off both engine and radio. Short press shuts off just the engine.
Appreciate 4
ItsGary1457.50
Not Sure212.50
MPower790.00
      01-06-2019, 04:18 AM   #7
Jack Brite
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohoE93 View Post
Buy a Carly and you can code the car to however you want to customize the features, including disabling the seat belt chime...
Have you used Carly before? I was thinking about buying it for my E93
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 04:50 AM   #8
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Brite View Post
Have you used Carly before? I was thinking about buying it for my E93
I have it, I wouldn't say its worth it anymore. Its a monthly subscription now unless you purchased it last year or later. I would just find someone kind enough to do the coding for free. It takes 20 minutes at most to do everything you'd want.
      01-06-2019, 05:43 PM   #9
Sgt. Schultz
Rep

Thanks so much everyone for your warm welcome and for trying to answer my questions - esp Gary / Maximus. I wonder how many here have been living w/ the radio staying on not knowing about the 'long push'! Hugethanks for that.

Will get on the ebrake, no I'm not paying someone who 'knows what they're doing' to do that - roflmao.

Sorry I'm not sure how my q's about the climate control or visor mirror weren't clear but - is there a way to synchronize the climate control zones so that the driver's controls the passenger like in every other normal car? Any suggestions how to free-up a stuck vanity mirror slider? The 'door' won't slide open it's frozen shut.

The rear-end noise is a clunk, not noise from the diff itself - only heard upon the clutch engaging when setting off in 1st gear.

For the audio, what aux cord is used and is that plugged into the port under the armrest or? Sorry, I'm a dolt.

How do I post pics here? I've got a Picasa album that I copied / pasted each pic's URL from the search bar after pressing the pic button in the toolbar here - wth?

Dumped them into an album here if you're bored enough to look:

https://photos.google.com/u/0/share/...NvdWtpdFREWkR3

Last edited by Sgt. Schultz; 01-06-2019 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1457.50
      01-06-2019, 07:05 PM   #10
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
Thanks so much everyone for your warm welcome and for trying to answer my questions - esp Gary / Maximus. I wonder how many here have been living w/ the radio staying on not knowing about the 'long push'! Hugethanks for that.

Will get on the ebrake, no I'm not paying someone who 'knows what they're doing' to do that - roflmao.

Sorry I'm not sure how my q's about the climate control or visor mirror weren't clear but - is there a way to synchronize the climate control zones so that the driver's controls the passenger like in every other normal car? Any suggestions how to free-up a stuck vanity mirror slider? The 'door' won't slide open it's frozen shut.

The rear-end noise is a clunk, not noise from the diff itself - only heard upon the clutch engaging when setting off in 1st gear.

For the audio, what aux cord is used and is that plugged into the port under the armrest or? Sorry, I'm a dolt.

How do I post pics here? I've got a Picasa album that I copied / pasted each pic's URL from the search bar after pressing the pic button in the toolbar here - wth?

1) Said just in case, you didn't know exactly what you were doing
2) I still don't understand, the car has dual climate control, passenger can control the temps they get blasted in the face with ha
3) Someone else can help with this again
4) Yes, port under the armrest is the only Aux input location, kinda wish they made a little divot to route the cable without crushing it.
5) just right click image, copy image link/copy image location and post the link
      01-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #11
fatalelement
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 Space Grey M3 DCT

Quote:

BTW when you say the radio stays on - do you have the key still in the ignition? If you start it w/ the key fob in your pocket, radio should shut off when you kill the engine. Otherwise, it'll shut off when you remove the key/open the door.

There is no way to synchronize the dual zone, but what I do when I'm alone is close both the right side vents (I have long arms so this isn't hard for me) and then it doesn't matter what the other side is set to.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 09:14 PM   #12
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Depends on your year and option I believe some has a button that’ll sync up both driver and passenger side temp control.

Mine is a 2013 and I have a “dual” button that’ll enable/disable dual climate. For example, my wife likes her side warm and I keep my side cooler. When I’m driving by myself I just hit the “dual” button and both sides will sync to the same temp. without having to manually change the temp.

I believe all you need to do is swap out the HVAC control panel to get that function.
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1457.50
      01-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #13
Sgt. Schultz
Rep

Ah, good to know on the climate control - lame they'd leave that off of the early cars.

Agreed on the lack of cable gutter under armrest, also dumb. What cable do I need? Sorry, I'm an electronics dolt 8/

Trying pics again via Explorer, can't right click properties in Chrome:

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 12:45 PM   #14
fatalelement
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah, good to know on the climate control - lame they'd leave that off of the early cars.

Agreed on the lack of cable gutter under armrest, also dumb. What cable do I need? Sorry, I'm an electronics dolt 8/
You just need a normal aux cable - 3.5mm. Set the entertainment system source to aux with iDrive.

Man, that pulley looks...... interesting. I can see how that might not lead to optimal belt conditions.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #15
rdoctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3

Garage List
2009 BMW e92 M3  [0.00]
See below....

Quote:

- radio stays on after pushing the engine off button, requiring a 2nd press of the button... anyway to program that to just turn off w/ the engine like a normal car? Do you have comfort access? If so, use your key in the dash socket. When I do this and turn my car off the radio turns off. If the key is in my pocket the radio stays on.

- glovebox won't stay unlocked - what's the trick? (don't get me started on how the manuals don't fit in there - dumb!) That's a convertible thing. My e46M3 vert did this as I recall. Not sure if it can be coded out.

- intermittent and rain sensor wipers seem to have mind of their own and adj wheel doesn't seem to do anything - secret handshake? Has the windshield been replaced? Sometimes they don't get the sensor on correctly. My auto wipers work fine most of the time and do respond somewhat to the setting.

- best way to pair an iPhone these days to stream via Amazon Music? You can not stream music via the CCC (08-11) but you can pair your phone if it's equipped with bluetooth.

[/B]

SOLD: e92 M3 6MT, Jet Black/Black
Dinan: Software Tune | CF Intake | Exhaust | Pulley Kit | Stage 1 Suspension | Pedals /// BBS e88 18x9.5 et19; 18x10.5 et19 on PS4 265/285 /// Lux Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 02:48 PM   #16
fatalelement
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
- glovebox won't stay unlocked - what's the trick? (don't get me started on how the manuals don't fit in there - dumb!)
Forgot to add - you have a pair of doors in the trunk on either side of where the partition goes down that are for the manuals. They even have a little picture of the manual(s) on them (or maybe it's just one, can't remember).

It's not as convenient as the glovebox, I guess, but realistically it frees the glovebox up for sunglasses (since we don't have another good place for them) and your registration/FasTrak or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 09:59 PM   #17
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdoctor View Post
See below....
CIC is 09+
      01-07-2019, 11:10 PM   #18
pwrdbym
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
I have it, I wouldn't say its worth it anymore. Its a monthly subscription now unless you purchased it last year or later. I would just find someone kind enough to do the coding for free. It takes 20 minutes at most to do everything you'd want.
Carly screwed over all the early supporters with the subscription deal now. I paid for all features with the promise of a 1 time fee. I can still use the "old" app to code, however it isn't updated, nor available for download so I figure it's only a matter of time before an iOS update bumps it or I can no longer sync it. Pretty upsetting there's no grandfather clause.
91 BMW 850i 6MT--20 Ram 1500
16 Chevy Tahoe 4WD
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 11:45 PM   #19
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrdbym View Post
Carly screwed over all the early supporters with the subscription deal now. I paid for all features with the promise of a 1 time fee. I can still use the "old" app to code, however it isn't updated, nor available for download so I figure it's only a matter of time before an iOS update bumps it or I can no longer sync it. Pretty upsetting there's no grandfather clause.
I got grandfathered. Are you sure you followed the instructions when you upgraded?
Appreciate 3
ItsGary1457.50
Scharbag2620.50
      01-08-2019, 12:54 AM   #20
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrdbym View Post
Like MaximusB I got grandfathered in also. My app has been working fine since purchase.
      01-08-2019, 09:49 AM   #21
Sgt. Schultz
Rep

thanks again all

I know the glovebox is to lock w/ the car locks but figured it would stay unlocked w/ the car locks as well - suuuuuper annoying to have to use the key every time.

I did read about those manuals storage bins in the trunk - quite odd.

No idea if new windshield but that's a good thought. The sensor sure does suck, and the adjustment seems to have zero affect. Sucks, as I'd always lauded how awesome the wipers were in my e36.

Yeah, the pulley completely exploded and w/o warning. I shudder to think there's a bunch more of them under there awaiting the same fate likely. Superdumb to use plastic in a high-rev application. F'n BMW. Will give major accolades for how easy they make it to remove the fan, airbox, PS reservoir, etc. as they KNOW you WILL be in there lol / d'oh.

Aux cable is all I need, don't care about sound quality or wireless.

Anyone localish to CT have that Carly thang or whatever to do some coding? Would love to tinker w/ a few things...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 11:30 PM   #22
pwrdbym
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
I got grandfathered. Are you sure you followed the instructions when you upgraded?
No I'm not at all sure. I'll look into it some more.
91 BMW 850i 6MT--20 Ram 1500
16 Chevy Tahoe 4WD
Appreciate 0