BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

09-24-2018, 11:12 AM   #45
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Generally, dogs are considered property and would be governed by the same laws that govern property damage.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 11:55 AM   #46
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander_g View Post
Generally, dogs are considered property and would be governed by the same laws that govern property damage.
But I don't buy a birthday cake for my car... or do I?
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 12:47 PM   #47
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I'd say this depends, not on state law, but local jurisdictional law (county, city, etc.); this is an animal control thing and that varies county to county.

Locally, “you’re entitled to protect yourself without putting people at risk” but that doesn't mean that you won't be charged with animal cruelty charges:
https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/l...g/65-552371548

Although that particular individual was cleared of criminal charges, he still faces a large civil suit by the owner who's dog he DRTed:
https://www.fredericksburg.com/news/...c468320a3.html

Last edited by FCobra94; 09-24-2018 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #48
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

OP, I'll lease you my cat for when you take your dog on a walk. He'll protect both of you.
Appreciate 3
________4157.00
Maynard3804.50
F32Fleet3539.50
      09-24-2018, 12:49 PM   #49
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Quote:
But I don't buy a birthday cake for my car... or do I?
If you buy a birthday cake for your dog, you might as well buy it for your car...

And a Napoleon hat for you.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      09-24-2018, 02:08 PM   #50
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
If you buy a birthday cake for your dog, you might as well buy it for your car...

How about I say, I am allowed to destroy my property at my discretion for absolutely no reason. You are not allowed to do that with animals. They have VERY different laws than simple property.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #51
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Quote:

How about I say, I am allowed to destroy my property at my discretion for absolutely no reason. You are not allowed to do that with animals. They have VERY different laws than simple property.
True.

What's your point?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #52
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
True.

What's your point?
My point is..

Quote:
is not true.
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      09-24-2018, 04:08 PM   #53
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Right usually get in more trouble for humping your dog then a fleshlight
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      09-24-2018, 05:37 PM   #54
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post

you should get the same outfit
Damn, I laughed and choked at the same time.
Appreciate 3
nyalpine907384.50
King Rudi13152.00
Lups11819.50
      09-25-2018, 04:01 AM   #55
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

In Florida and Texas it's game over if anybody looks at your dog as you have a right to defend yourself.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 07:28 AM   #56
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Unfortunately, this is false. You can legally euthanize a pet without good (any) reason. Fortunately it is getting harder to find a Veterinarian who will do it for you, but as long as it is not done in a cruel manner it is your choice. I do think that pets and livestock have a little different treatment under the law than inanimate property (i.e. there are laws about cruelty/adequate care, and also about owners needing to anticipate and protect against their actions).
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 10:48 PM   #57
CarPoor
Discharged
Rep
Drives: G42 M240ix, JLU Rub, 10 S2 RX8

My wife and I had to look into this a few years back and were quite at how liberal the law for us is in the semi rural burbs of CO. We were advised that a dog approaching us of leash with ours on could be shot without legal challenge or risk so long as we sere on public property or our own and executed the shooting under public safe conditions. Same went for the owner should they become a threat to us and getting law enforcement assistance wasn’t possible in time. This was much more extreme than we were comfortable with so we elected pepper spray, an air horn, or a walking stick.

We have currently and have always had Dobermans (always from rescue) so the issue wasn’t risk to our dogs and instead was for the attacking one. On one occasion one of our males intercepted a dog preparing to attack a female of ours who was still recovering from surgery. Ours were on leash the attacking dog wasn’t. Our male got the other dog by the throat and kept his jaw locked on it for five minutes or so, we could not pry it open. He would have ripped it out had i not held them both until the other dogs owner showed up. He only released after the other dog was leashed.

Next incident. A Bull Mastiff charges from a door at us and two our males on leash in the street. One of them removes the mastiffs ear and shreds it’s jowls while our male other shreds it’s flank. This damage was done in less than 5 seconds and the mastiff out maneuvered me to get to our dogs. Mastiffs owner was ticketed. After this we started carrying pepper spray.

Next incident we are approached under similar circumstances by a GS dog. This time I spritz it with pepper spray. Owner shows up, I give instructions on how to neutralize the spray and am told if he sees my dogs loose he will kill them. I phone police and press charges. He now has a restraining order and menacing charge on his record, lost his job from the type of charge, and had to move to more affordable housing.

I, like Lups, know my way around dogs and am even asked to do temperament testing for pre adoption. I have also had three Schutzhund titled Dobes. I learned my way around dogs from my mother who trained guard and attack dogs for multiple police departments and the US Air Force. ALL this to finally say the OPs questions a valid and really indicates their intent to be a responsible pet owner.
Appreciate 3
________4157.00
F32Fleet3539.50
      09-26-2018, 11:40 PM   #58
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarPoor View Post
Next incident we are approached under similar circumstances by a GS dog. This time I spritz it with pepper spray. Owner shows up, I give instructions on how to neutralize the spray and am told if he sees my dogs loose he will kill them. I phone police and press charges. He now has a restraining order and menacing charge on his record, lost his job from the type of charge, and had to move to more affordable housing.
See, this is what I'm talking about. If you shoot or pepper spray someone else's feral dog, you're at far greater risk of unwanted repercussions by a feral owner, than you are by the law.

I'd welcome the feedback of anyone here who's dealt with dogs; but I grew up in country suburbia, most of my friends are farmers ... and as I said above, the most effective weapon I've seen against sheepdogs behaving badly is a steel toecapped boot.

Dogs in a dogfight are pretty resistant to pain, and I've no doubt that pepperspray works a treat - but I haven't seen a sheepdog that's hung around to see what the third kick from a steel-toecap wielding farmer feels like.

Honestly, I think pepper spray is probably more humane, but I'd much prefer to be justifying myself to a feral owner after kicking their dog, than I would be trying to justify pepper spraying the thing (that's probably still yelping and making a massive scene 10 minutes later) or having shot at it.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2018, 07:35 AM   #59
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
My point is..

is not true.
But it is. Pets are property in the eyes of the law. No one said the same as a DVD player, but still property.

/topic
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2018, 07:42 AM   #60
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
some people think waayyyy too much into things, that they become paranoid.
if your afraid of getting attack because you are walking a dog, then get house pet.
Avoid going to dog park. Avoid getting a new car because some careless person will crash into you so get a beater. Stop being so dam negative. bubble wrap everything !

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #61
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Funny how i call a forum member out for being arrogant on this thread.

And now i find that member's post has changed & my posts have been deleted! LOL

Some scumbag shit right there.
Appreciate 2
________4157.00
      09-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #62
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Owner shows up, I give instructions on how to neutralize the spray and am told if he sees my dogs loose he will kill them. I phone police and press charges. He now has a restraining order and menacing charge on his record, lost his job from the type of charge, and had to move to more affordable housing.
Yikes...just curious, but how does that process go down? Like, did the cops get a hold of this guy and he continued his hostility, so they threw the book at him? Or did they just take your word for it?

I also imagine this involved filing formal documents, having to appear in court, etc.? Sad that all this is required all because people have no problems getting a dog, but refuse to be responsible dog owners
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #63
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Ours were on leash the attacking dog wasn’t. Our male got the other dog by the throat... A Bull Mastiff charges from a door at us and two our males on leash in the street. One of them removes the mastiffs ear and shreds it’s jowls while our male other shreds it’s flank.
It doesn't look like the leash restricts your dogs in any way.

Quote:
his jaw locked on it for five minutes or so, we could not pry it open
They say pinching the nose should work. Hampering the breathing(?), at least.

Quote:
a dog preparing to attack a female of ours who was still recovering from surgery
They usually say she was pregnant as well.

Quote:
Mastiffs owner was ticketed ... I phone police and press charges. He now has a restraining order and menacing charge on his record
Did you need any proofs (what were they?) or were you the God they trusted?

Actually I don't sympathize with your opponents, it's just aggressors often choose to play victims once they fail (or even to pre-empt charges?) and use their legal rights to violate others'. Your stories look a bit doubtful.

Quote:
lost his job from the type of charge, and had to move to more affordable housing
How do you know? Did you marry him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
If you shoot or pepper spray someone else's feral dog, you're at far greater risk of unwanted repercussions by a feral owner
It's the owner who should be punished for both the damage the dog caused to you and the damage you had to cause to the dog. Dogs are stupid creatures living to fulfil their owners' wishes. Even if those wishes are concealed. Dogs know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
the most effective weapon I've seen against sheepdogs behaving badly is a steel toecapped boot
Good news! I don't deal with dogs and I am a bit concerned they might get a kick as an invitation to proceed... Just like those people.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 10:43 AM   #64
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
My wife and I had to look into this a few years back and were quite at how liberal the law for us is in the semi rural burbs of CO. We were advised that a dog approaching us of leash with ours on could be shot without legal challenge or risk so long as we sere on public property or our own and executed the shooting under public safe conditions. Same went for the owner should they become a threat to us and getting law enforcement assistance wasn’t possible in time. This was much more extreme than we were comfortable with so we elected pepper spray, an air horn, or a walking stick.

We have currently and have always had Dobermans (always from rescue) so the issue wasn’t risk to our dogs and instead was for the attacking one. On one occasion one of our males intercepted a dog preparing to attack a female of ours who was still recovering from surgery. Ours were on leash the attacking dog wasn’t. Our male got the other dog by the throat and kept his jaw locked on it for five minutes or so, we could not pry it open. He would have ripped it out had i not held them both until the other dogs owner showed up. He only released after the other dog was leashed.

Next incident. A Bull Mastiff charges from a door at us and two our males on leash in the street. One of them removes the mastiffs ear and shreds it’s jowls while our male other shreds it’s flank. This damage was done in less than 5 seconds and the mastiff out maneuvered me to get to our dogs. Mastiffs owner was ticketed. After this we started carrying pepper spray.

I, like Lups, know my way around dogs and am even asked to do temperament testing for pre adoption. I have also had three Schutzhund titled Dobes. I learned my way around dogs from my mother who trained guard and attack dogs for multiple police departments and the US Air Force. ALL this to finally say the OPs questions a valid and really indicates their intent to be a responsible pet owner.
You seem to have a lot of incidents with other dogs. I never had an incident walking my border collie. He has had some dog park incidents, but nothing that wan't cleared up quickly.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #65
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
Funny how i call a forum member out for being arrogant on this thread.

And now i find that member's post has changed & my posts have been deleted! LOL

Some scumbag shit right there.
You really get into calling other members names....not just on this thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 11:17 AM   #66
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
You really get into calling other members names....not just on this thread.
I have never told a member to 'fuck off'
Appreciate 1
________4157.00