BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-01-2017, 04:28 PM   #23
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

I have the UUC Evo3 with the DSSR, got it on special last year. There were some issues with fit, and the bend wasn't right initially. I ended up sending my stock shifter back to them along with the Evo3 and they bent it to the angle of the stock shifter, and fit is now perfect. It's a really nice shifter once the kinks are worked out. I'm still using the stock unweighted knob, but would love to use the F10 M5 knob, just can't see my way to paying $200 for a knob. I considered the ZHP knob, but I like the lighted function of the stock knob. Oh well, no such thing as perfect I guess.
      12-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #24
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
ZHP knob arrived yesterday.

AutoSolutions Ultra Spherical Bearing Kit with ~19% shift length reduction and 6mm lower shifter height utilizing the ZHP knob is being manufactured right now. Thanks for the tip, SYT_Shadow ! Ron had been extremely helpful.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 06:32 AM   #25
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Awesome, I'm sure you'll like it!
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2017, 12:06 AM   #26
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
So does this XHP knob fit on the M3 with all the built-in boot stuff etc?

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #27
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
So does this XHP knob fit on the M3 with all the built-in boot stuff etc?
Close enough

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=ZHP
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 10:05 PM   #28
ppatel14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 AW ZCP 6MT

Any updates on the install and how it feels?

2013 E92 ZCP /// Alpine stage 2 tune, Bomiz Race X-Pipe, ARC-8 wheels, Vorshlag camber plates, Wheel studs, TMS spacers F15mm/R12.5mm, Stoptech SS lines, BW brass caliper guide
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 10:44 PM   #29
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Another huge +1 for AutoSolutions. I bought a kit from Ronald many many years ago in my E46 and it transformed that shifter into a hard-nosed machine. It was great, but I also went for the most hardcore setup he offered on that car. Sounds like SYT's kit recommendation would be up my alley with the E92.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      02-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #30
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatel14 View Post
Any updates on the install and how it feels?
Love it! Only slight hiccups are that the shifter rod is barely touching the plastic bezel when I go into third (only if I'm "slamming" it in to third; 99% of driving there are no issues at all).

I also didn't realize that the boot was integral to the OEM shift knob. So for right now I have the OEM knob on and my ZHP weighted knob sitting in a box until I can decide what to do for a boot. I'm sure the shifter will be even better once that gets installed.

I only went for about a 16% reduction in throw and increased the rod length by 6mm. Don't really notice it with the OEM knob on it, but the current height will drop by about 12mm once I get the ZHP put on.

It is NOT notchy, it is confident. I haven't had a single mis-shift with the new shifter and I always seem to know exactly where the shifter is going. I am curious if my new Vibra-Technics motor mounts could be doing something about that.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #31
that_grey_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 M3 6 spd

Keep us updated!

I plan to get the Auto Solutions short shift kit next year. I just have one question for anyone who might be able to answer this, do short shift kits where out over time? For instance, will the feel slowly degrade or will that take quite a few years for it to occur? What I'm trying to say is will the first week with the SSK feel better or more tight than the second or third week (loosen up). Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 04:30 PM   #32
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Another huge +1 for AutoSolutions. I bought a kit from Ronald many many years ago in my E46 and it transformed that shifter into a hard-nosed machine. It was great, but I also went for the most hardcore setup he offered on that car. Sounds like SYT's kit recommendation would be up my alley with the E92.
Ronald is the real deal!
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #33
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_grey_m3 View Post
Keep us updated!

I plan to get the Auto Solutions short shift kit next year. I just have one question for anyone who might be able to answer this, do short shift kits where out over time? For instance, will the feel slowly degrade or will that take quite a few years for it to occur? What I'm trying to say is will the first week with the SSK feel better or more tight than the second or third week (loosen up). Thanks
My E46 had the kit for over 100k miles, a ton of those were at the track with a jaffster knob

Until the very end it was precise and slick. Likely not as precise as when it was new, but still very good. As in better than a 997 GT3

The E9X shifter mods I mentioned earlier take the E9X to the same shifting nirvana I had on the E46 w/AS SSK

Fortunately it's really easy to install the ssk on the e9x vs the nightmare in the e46
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 05:00 PM   #34
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by that_grey_m3 View Post
Keep us updated!

Maybe see if you can spec Delrin bushings with Ronald for a more "everlasting" feel? I'm sure you'll resonate a bit more vibration as a byproduct. I don't have all too many miles with mine just yet, but it's been some weeks (months? I can't remember) and it feels just the same. Delrin may be overkill and there are many folks out there with hundreds of thousands of collaborative miles with no Delrin. Experience don't lie; this is the kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
My E46 had the kit for over 100k miles, a ton of those were at the track with a jaffster knob

Until the very end it was precise and slick. Likely not as precise as when it was new, but still very good. As in better than a 997 GT3

The E9X shifter mods I mentioned earlier take the E9X to the same shifting nirvana I had on the E46 w/AS SSK

Fortunately it's really easy to install the ssk on the e9x vs the nightmare in the e46
Having the 997 GT3 at the top of my short list makes me realize that I need Ronald to make one for it!
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      02-28-2018, 08:10 AM   #35
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

I emailed Ronald yesterday to get one of these ordered. Still undecided whether I should go with delrin bushings or not but leaning towards yes...

EDIT: I just heard back from Ronald and his advice in regards to delrin bushings is:

I will supply new factory bushings with the kit. I do not think the Nylon/ Delrin jobs are better with this carrier. One day I will have a harder durometer rubber bushing built but even that I think would bring marginal improvement. For sure new delrin will help if your existing rubber is worn out but to my knowledge no one has compared new rubber to new delrin in this shift arm. I have and did not notice a plus. Truth is my experience is anecdotal at best so if you have anything that reinforces or discredit my assertion I would really love to know.

Last edited by Iyzmi; 02-28-2018 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 02:26 PM   #36
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
I emailed Ronald yesterday to get one of these ordered. Still undecided whether I should go with delrin bushings or not but leaning towards yes...

EDIT: I just heard back from Ronald and his advice in regards to delrin bushings is:

I will supply new factory bushings with the kit. I do not think the Nylon/ Delrin jobs are better with this carrier. One day I will have a harder durometer rubber bushing built but even that I think would bring marginal improvement. For sure new delrin will help if your existing rubber is worn out but to my knowledge no one has compared new rubber to new delrin in this shift arm. I have and did not notice a plus. Truth is my experience is anecdotal at best so if you have anything that reinforces or discredit my assertion I would really love to know.
Something very impressive about Ronald is he doesn't build stuff he doesn't think improves things.

As in, there is no 'ultimate' version of his E9X kit the way there is with the E46 one because he doesn't feel the stock part that would be replaced by the 'ultimate' version is as good as the replacement part would be.

Not many people are not willing to sell things when people are willing to pay for them
Appreciate 1
Ggeezer251.50
      02-28-2018, 02:48 PM   #37
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Something very impressive about Ronald is he doesn't build stuff he doesn't think improves things.

As in, there is no 'ultimate' version of his E9X kit the way there is with the E46 one because he doesn't feel the stock part that would be replaced by the 'ultimate' version is as good as the replacement part would be.

Not many people are not willing to sell things when people are willing to pay for them
Agreed.

I also asked him about replacing the shift arm bushing since it was mentioned in the "How to Fix Notchy Shifting" thread and his thoughts were:

As for the rear mount, I have found it to be extremely durable and overbuilt and rarely in need of replacement which you should do if it feels sloppy or worn out. I can count on one hand those I have observed that needed replacement.
      02-28-2018, 03:37 PM   #38
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Agreed.

I also asked him about replacing the shift arm bushing since it was mentioned in the "How to Fix Notchy Shifting" thread and his thoughts were:

As for the rear mount, I have found it to be extremely durable and overbuilt and rarely in need of replacement which you should do if it feels sloppy or worn out. I can count on one hand those I have observed that needed replacement.
He's awesome

When I was thinking of getting a manual F80 I was willing to take the car to him to produce the first F8X SSK... and he lives reeeeeeally far from me!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 06:25 PM   #39
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

I don't know this Ronald dude but I think I like him. Sounds like a good guy to deal with.
Appreciate 4
SYT_Shadow11479.50
Ggeezer251.50
      02-28-2018, 07:00 PM   #40
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

I had asked him the exact same question and got pretty much the exact same answer.

For those interested in Turner's polyurethane shifter arm bushing, here are Ron's thoughts on it:

Quote:
I clicked on the bushing link and I will say one thing . I do not know. You are welcome to try it. I personally was turned off with the 70a durometer they are proudly claiming. 70a is tire rubber hard. very abrasion resistant which it does not need to be and not flexible which it needs to be. Personally I would look at those bushing when they are made with 30a urethane or softer and in the meantime consider that the rear support on these models is very beefy to start with. Personally i would leave well enough alone and would not even renew it. your call though.
Based on this feedback, I decided to skip the delrin bushings and the Turner poly arm bushing.

On a separate note, after reading all the positive feedback on this forum (especially SYT_Shadow 's), I placed an order for a shifter 6mm higher than stock for use with ZHP knob (so that the ZHP knob sits 6mm lower than the stock knob) and ~18% reduction - identical to OP's. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

As for shifters for the F8x platform, Ron has told me that he has shipped one to Canada recently so he does produce them, but probably doesn't advertise it.

Last edited by Ggeezer; 02-28-2018 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      02-28-2018, 07:15 PM   #41
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggeezer View Post
I had asked him the exact same question and got pretty much the exact same answer.

For those interested in Turner's polyurethane shifter arm bushing, here are Ron's thoughts on it:

Based on this feedback, I decided to skip the delrin bushings and the Turner poly arm bushing.

On a separate note, after reading all the positive feedback on this forum (especially SYT_Shadow 's), I placed an order for a shifter 6mm lower than stock for use with ZHP knob and ~18% reduction - identical to OP's. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

As for shifters for the F8x platform, Ron has told me that he has shipped one to Canada recently so he does produce them, but probably doesn't advertise it.
Did you mean 6mm higher to compensate for the lower ZHP knob? That’s what I’ve decided for mine.
      02-28-2018, 07:22 PM   #42
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Quote:

On a separate note, after reading all the positive feedback on this forum (especially SYT_Shadow 's), I placed an order for a shifter 6mm lower than stock for use with ZHP knob and ~18% reduction - identical to OP's. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Did you mean 6mm higher to compensate for the lower ZHP knob? ThatÂ’s what IÂ’ve decided for mine.
Exactly. The ZHP knob sits 12mm lower than stock, so the new shifter is stock+6mm so that the final position of the ZHP knob sits 6mm lower than the stock knob.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11479.50
Iyzmi802.00
      02-28-2018, 07:29 PM   #43
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
I

Glad to have been a factor in your decision. You will not be disappointed!

Now he builds the F8x shifter but before he didn't, that's why I was willing to take my car over there for the 1st AS SSK on that platform

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 02-28-2018 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 09:12 PM   #44
McSwine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
I don't know this Ronald dude but I think I like him. Sounds like a good guy to deal with.

Yes. Absolutely.

I've met a ton of awesome vendors here...Ronald, Alex the tune guy, and the dude that upgraded my Nav maps whose name sadly escapes me.
Appreciate 1
cenix379.00