BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

EXXEL Distributions

11-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
jin.patrick
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

M3 in Canadian Winter?

Hey guys,

We got our first snow in Montreal today, quite a lot for the first snow of the year (~5cm in 2-3 hours I'd say).
So I was just wondering how many of you drive your M3's in the winter.

I live downtown Montreal so I don't have to drive, but it's still nice to take the car out once in a while right?

Give me some feedbacks & experiences with your M3 in snowy Canadian winter!!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
darklord
Ruler of the Universe
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 Silver Merc E63 (W212)

Good snows are the key....I drove my E90 since 09 through all winters, drove perfectly through ice and storms.

I had Dunlop Sport 3D's.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I always equip my car in the winter with a set of snow tires (Wheel & Tire Package 18" same size on all four corners). I however, only drive it when the roads are dry (no snow or slush).

Advantages ...

1) It is safe if one gets cot in a snow storm.
2) One does not have to park the car all winter.
3) You do save your summer tires.
4) Winter tires while a bit more noisier do wear better.
5) It's simply nice to take the car out when the weather is nice
6) Finally I could not live without my ///M3, to see it locked away in a garage for 6 month is simply brutal

Mind you I have the advantage that I can sleep in when it snows since I am retired and always have our DD that is an AWD

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
jin.patrick
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Yeah I have a set of winter tires lying around so I'll probably put them on and take the car out once in a while!
Gahhhh It must be nice to have a DD though!
I'm probably gonna take the metro (subway) daily
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

I drive mine in winter without any problem. Just make sure you have a good set of winter tires.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Daft
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
It'll drive fine with the proper tires. Just watch out for deep snow or your bumper will become a plow!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
CSMRX7
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

+1 for snow tires
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
redline9001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5, G14 F150

I drive mine in the winter, as others have said winter tires and your good to go. I am just into the first winter with the e92 but so far better then my e46 M.
      11-24-2011, 12:56 AM   #9
jin.patrick
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I'm sure it will drive fine but what I'm really scared of is the enormous amount of salt they put on the streets.
I'm planning on keeping the car for a fairly long period of time (6-7 years maybe?),
and worried that I might have rust spots starting here and there in a couple years.
any idea on this?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 05:13 AM   #10
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Montreal View Post
Yeah I have a set of winter tires lying around so I'll probably put them on and take the car out once in a while!
Gahhhh It must be nice to have a DD though!
I'm probably gonna take the metro (subway) daily
You be wise to find some rims for your winter tires. Mounting and balancing the wheels twice a year (fall and spring) adds up quickly. Also it is not too good for your tires to be mounted then removed also two times a year.

So make a quick calculation what this will cost you per year and you will soon see that it pays to find some rims. I've seen rims here and nice ones on the forum for $1000- to $1200- for a set of four.

Just thinking out loud here

Have a great day!

PS. As for the concern about the rust due to salt on your streets ... I recommend you get an oil spray application, problem is you need to do this every year. Also wash your car weekly and spray the wheel wells real good washing all the salt dust out. Or drive your car only when your roads are dry the rest of the time take the bus or metro. I did that when I lived in Montreal, I remember the streets well in the winter time almost white when dry from all that salt.

I also see you like to keep your car 6 to 7 years even 5 years say you spend $200- per year changing tires spring and fall in 5 years you paid for the rims and you can then sell them so as they say it's all good.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-24-2011 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: Added PS
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft View Post
It'll drive fine with the proper tires. Just watch out for deep snow or your bumper will become a plow!
Im not looking forward to being a plow this winter lulz.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #12
iksenna
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 SINGAPORE GREY

As long as you have winter tires you are fine. In fact, my car drives better in the snow better than any FWD car I've ever had.
When the weather is really bad, I simply leave the car in the garage and drive the wifes....
      11-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #13
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

IMO the main factors for safe winter driving are a limited slip differential, traction control, and winter tires. Luckily the M3 has all of those. Some FWD and even "AWD" cars don't even have that and as such are not as good in the snow.

The real consideration is the rock chips and such that your vehicle would be subjected to. Otherwise go enjoy it. Winter driving is fun. That said I definitely echo your salt consideration... luckily in Calgary they don't salt much but QC is insane. They go nuts there. That's why all your cars are rusty. It's a problem for sure.
      11-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #14
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Although I am storing mine this winter - have driven it the past few. No reason not to drive it with proper tires. Clearance in deep snow is only consideration. In Toronto that's only a few days a year.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Compared to the last car I drove in the winter (02 maxima w/all season tires, 6-spd, LSD, and no TC), the M3 is awesome. Winter tires make it a pleasure to drive through the snow.

For the salt and road gravel, my plan to protect the paint is to apply vinyl in the high abrasion areas (eg. behind wheel wells). I'm currently half done. On sparkling graphite, matte black is hardly noticeable. As far as the underside of the car is concerned, I take the car to a touchless wash that sprays the underside every couple of weeks, and let the weekly wand wash take care of everything else.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #16
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
Compared to the last car I drove in the winter (02 maxima w/all season tires, 6-spd, LSD, and no TC), the M3 is awesome. Winter tires make it a pleasure to drive through the snow.

For the salt and road gravel, my plan to protect the paint is to apply vinyl in the high abrasion areas (eg. behind wheel wells). I'm currently half done. On sparkling graphite, matte black is hardly noticeable. As far as the underside of the car is concerned, I take the car to a touchless wash that sprays the underside every couple of weeks, and let the weekly wand wash take care of everything else.
Not a bad idea actually. I was thinking about doing 3M on the wheel arches as well.
      11-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #17
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Not a bad idea actually. I was thinking about doing 3M on the wheel arches as well.
I considered that, but when it comes down to it, I'm cheap. Plus the 3M stuff looks like crap after a couple of years. I've got the 3M on the entire front end, but figured I'd try vinyl on the sides (contradicts my last point, but it came installed on the car, so what can you do) - Vinyl is relatively easy to apply and remove as I see fit. Hopefully it holds up.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #18
Cold Steel
Cutter
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90

I drive it winter, with Michelin winter tire package. I do avoid very slushy or storm days, and wash it often to clean off the salt. I drive a F150 truck for those days. I do miss my Audi S4 however for winter....
      11-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #19
Shades of Grey
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Steel View Post
I drive it winter, with Michelin winter tire package. I do avoid very slushy or storm days, and wash it often to clean off the salt. I drive a F150 truck for those days. I do miss my Audi S4 however for winter....
Yeah make sure you wash it often, I save my esso points for winter washes each year. Otherwise, the main thing is to get winter tires - no winter tires = very minimal traction. I feel very safe on the road with my DSC. In fact, I didn't realize how much it did for me until it broke down on me!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 12:54 AM   #20
jin.patrick
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks for all your replies!
I decided to drive my car this winter, but only when the roads are clear and nice outside.
And I'll be using Hankook winters I had for my previous car (they are surprisingly good on snow & ice)

And regarding the esso touchless wash...
even though it is "touchless", i always thought it was still bad for your paint?
can anyone enlighten me further on this matter?
Appreciate 0