BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

BPM

05-28-2022, 04:11 PM   #1
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

MW E92 Build Journey

This is my second E9x M3. I previously owned and an IB E90 ZCP DCT for 3.5 years that I sold over this past winter for a 997.2 C4S and immediately regretted it. The 911 did not live up to my expectations and felt it was actually a step backwards, so soon the search was on for another E9X M3 after I parted ways with the 911 c4s.

Requirements were E92, 6mt, CF roof and Comp. I wanted an E92 because I have a tesla Y as my family car and do not need 4 doors for this car.

My old Interlagos build was OEM+ but this is one going to be a little more hardcore and a deeper build but similar idea, OEM ++. The goal is to build the best M3 I can but there are no intentions to make it a track car specifically. I had a head start with this build because I removed a lot of desirable parts from the IB car, and thankfully never sold them because deep in my heart I knew I might be back in this platform so my Ohlins and Corsa were installed on the E92 immediately after purchase.

The trio of 6mt, CF roof and comp was fairly narrow search criteria, so it took as few months of searching but here she is -

View post on imgur.com

At the time Bone stock, 2011 MW, 6mt, 49K miles, CF roof, ZCP.

This car's build will be more extensive than my IB car but so far I have installed the Ohlins R&T, RKP Xpipe and the Corsa rear as well as a tune, MS Intake, CF rear spoiler, MW painted mirror caps, tint delete, Fox Red interior swap, F10 M5 lighted shift knob, and maintenance! The car is very clean but desperately needed the basic stuff replaced immediately, spark plugs, oil change and diff/6mt fluid flush.

Day 1 of bringing the car home- CF spoiler -

View post on imgur.com

Day 2 - MS Intake

View post on imgur.com

Within a week of bringing the car home I installed the F10 lighted shift knob -

Before

View post on imgur.com

After

View post on imgur.com

Next up was replacing the Black interior with Fox Red. I found a complete FR interior on this forum down in NC and was able to work out meeting the seller in MD.

I started to rip out the black interior thinking it would take me 10+ hours, but surprisingly as I began to dig into it, things went really quick with the swap and it was not as hard as I thought. About 5 hours later in total, it was all done abd buttoned up including removal. Here is the interior getting ripped out...

View post on imgur.com

FR FTW! - So much better, I feel kind of like it's a different car now.

View post on imgur.com

The original OEM CF Mirror caps were peeling, and personally I prefer paint matched mirror caps so I went right to IND, and scooped up MW Painted Mirror caps.

View post on imgur.com

I have been focusing and as I write this in the middle of maintenance and this is why. The car feels a sluggish, the shifting action is not crisp and its obvious she needs a few basic things to wake her up.

View post on imgur.com

The plugs were original from 2011, as was the diff fluid and transmission fluid.

What there's bad news in a build thread?? This thread will be on the real side of the experience, and will not only show the good stuff. Example A, yesterday life happened as I was lifting the car up to change the diff fluid, the 2x4 I put on my jack to get the car high enough to clear the ramps/stands, the 2x4 literally split in half and fell apart causing the jack to shift and crash down puncturing a hole in the right side skirt!!!

View post on imgur.com

Lesson learned, will never do that again. After yelling numerous 4 letter words and finally calming down, I realized it was just the rocker panel, I am not hurt and the problem is easily fixed. I headed over the harbor freight and upgraded my floor jack as the one I was using was a POS and looking back should not have been using it.

Got a 3 ton Daytona, with a 52" handle and a 24" lifting height. The damn thing weighs 103 lbs and is the right tool for the job.

View post on imgur.com

Turner sells primered OEM replacement side skirts, and a replacement is en route to me as we speak, and will be painted MW by a local body shop this week and then I'll throw it back on.

At this point once I get the side skirt SNAFU behind me, I'll finish maintenance and focus on the next build items which are:

ARH headers
Autosolutions SSK
Eventuri plenum
Brembo BBK
Underdrive pullies

I am in no rush but I tend to go a little fast but I will be sure to update the thread as I hope this is helpful, entertaining or inspirational to some of you.

Last edited by neilum; 05-28-2022 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 3
Msidhu195.50
GcD127.00
      05-29-2022, 06:28 PM   #2
M3ZCPNYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I can't see you being able to do the ARH headers with out a lift, those have got to be the toughest to put in and there is no space. If you attempt just be prepared to drop the subframe and be able to clear the space with the right tools to get the head shields off. Just a heads up the factory ones are not restrictive and it's really a waste of time. Not much performance difference. I would focus on track pipes and x pipe for gains and sound.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2022, 06:29 PM   #3
M3ZCPNYC
Captain
Rep

For 5k you spent on headers you could have got a supercharger for a little more
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 07:14 PM   #4
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I highly recommend you consider the Essex AP Pro 5000R bbk over the Brembo GT, especially if you plan to track the car. Not only is the AP just a better brake kit all around, the consumables are also cheaper and there's much better post-sales support. I have the Brembo GT and I would not buy it again.
Appreciate 1
911r887.50
      05-30-2022, 05:36 PM   #5
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I highly recommend you consider the Essex AP Pro 5000R bbk over the Brembo GT, especially if you plan to track the car. Not only is the AP just a better brake kit all around, the consumables are also cheaper and there's much better post-sales support. I have the Brembo GT and I would not buy it again.
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Did you have reliability issues with the Brembo? What happened specifically that you would not recommend them? The car may see a few track days but overall that's not really my goals or intentions.

I am also not interested in making the fastest car per $$$, and I have no interest in a S/C. If I wanted the fastest car, or most HP per $$$ I would have not bought this car. I get a lot of enjoyment out of the sound and feel of this car and that is the theme I am building on. If I get to 380 WHP it will be plenty for the street and fun Sunday drives.

Agreed on the header installation, I am happy to DIY a fair amount but that job in my garage w/out a lift sounds like a nightmare, it will go to ACM for the headers.

Good chance I'll get a plenum too but I will update things as we go!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 06:54 PM   #6
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
Did you have reliability issues with the Brembo? What happened specifically that you would not recommend them? The car may see a few track days but overall that's not really my goals or intentions.
Had Brembo GT on my car for 6+ years. They are a good street bbk. No disc/pad rattle. Pedal has good modulation and not grabby like AP. Discs last a long time, mine finally need replacement after 6+ years and 75k kms. In conjunction with Ti brake shims, the dust boots last a long time - mine haven't even cracked yet.

Downside is that they are mainly a street bbk. There is significant pad knockback issues at track, causing long pedal travel. Consumables like rotors, bobbins, etc cost a lot higher than AP. If you plan to keep the car forever this can get expensive. Brembo also don't seem to be keen to support their street kits like their race kits - it's take it or leave it with the GT kit. It's very difficult to even find rebuild info/kits for the Brembo GT.

If I could wind the clock back 6 yrs - and if I was buying new - I would definitely have gone for AP vs Brembo.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 03:35 AM   #7
Aw5993
Rep

Nice build. What about the 911 didn’t you like vs the e92?
Appreciate 0