BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-21-2018, 06:38 AM   #23
XCRN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, 1995 525i

If you enjoy living in the city Seattle is one of the better ones. But it is a BUSY city. Traffic sucks alot and everyone is essentially going the sameway because the city layput is North to South. Cost of living was high when I lived there 4 years ago, and from what I hear has gotten even worse. I personally had a lot more bad than good when I lived on the East side of the lake for 10 years. The only thing I really regret about moving from WA is not getting into the mountains more. But I am happy here in Ohio in my town small town of 150 people, but I am more of a hillbilly hick type so I am just fine without the city life at all. I just enjoy beautiful scenery.
Appreciate 2
      12-21-2018, 07:04 AM   #24
bigdaveindubai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

I heard Seattle is great because min wage is 15$hr but milk is 27$ a half gal.
2012 Boss 302 #2147
2017 Shelby GT350
2017 F250 KR
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #25
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Dont forget the ban on straws and homeless encampments as far as you can see
Appreciate 2
ItsGary1456.50
      12-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #26
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Ban on non compostable straws. We have straws in Seattle and I can assure you they function just fine. Is anyone really going to make the choice between Dallas and Seattle based on straws?

Now the homeless thing, yeah, that's a major pain in the ass. Walked out the back door at work on Monday and almost tripped over a dude in a santa hat taking a dump on our loading dock. It's outta control.

OP, people in Seattle are generally friendly but in no way are they outgoing or engaging. Classic Seattle scene is a coffee shop with 30 people in it, all of them with headphones on looking down at electronic devices, with no one talking. My personal favorite Seattle scene is 3 or 4 people at the grocery store all jammed up with their carts, unable to move, just standing there awkwardly, totally stuck, because no one will even look up and make eye contact. They all just stand there looking down, mumbling incoherently, and not moving because they are all too passive to take initiative and work through the situation. If you are a real people person you may find that though.

Have you visited Seattle? If not, now is an excellent time to do so. Low 40s and drizzle almost every day in the 10 day forecast. I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. If you think that's bad, just wait 3 months till March when it's still 40 degrees and drizzle every day. Summers used to be bulletproof here but lately we've been having massive forest fires and choking smoke that fills the air from July through August.

As others have said, cost of living is very high. My house doubled in value in 4 years. A 1 bedroom apt. in the city can set you back $2k/month.

I do like the city but having spent 30 of my 44 years here, I'm starting to long for something else. The city is feeling dirty, over crowded, expensive, and not very friendly.

I find the car culture here to generally suck. There are enthusiasts but they are outnumbered by self-righteous Prius drivers about 100:1.

The city cant seem to put in bike lanes fast enough. Turning 4 lane arterials into 2 lanes for cars and 2 for bikes. Downtown is even worse. Many streets now choked off into just a single lane for cars and the rest for busses, bikes, planter boxes, homeless tents, and generally anything but cars.

So yeah, Seattle. I'm clearly burnt on the place. But if you are in your 20s or early 30s, come on out. Join the rest of the herd that's moving here. See what all the fuss is about for 3 to 5 years, then plan to escape back someplace warm, clean, and friendly.
Appreciate 2
c1pher4545.50
      12-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #27
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Santa taking dump! Did you beat him? Is Seattle sanctuary city yet? No people wont make judgment based on straws but that may influence some because can deduce how progressive, ie batshit the legislators are there.
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1456.50
      12-21-2018, 08:33 AM   #28
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Can't disagree with you on Seattle. Lived here all my life (40+ years) - cost of living is nuts, traffic is ridiculous and getting noticeably worse by the year, winters suck, and the politics/taxes are just silly.

Still, Dallas? Been there for work - flat, dry, hot, no culture whatsoever, as scenic as a pasture. But yah, if you're into open spaces, better cost of living, better winters, I can seeing preferring it over Seattle. Two very different cities to compare.
No culture? Compared to what? The culture of Starbucks and hipsters?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 09:25 AM   #29
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
Do any of you guys live in Seattle? Considering moving and need some advice on how is life there, car community. Any race tracks nearby etc? Do you enjoy living there in general?
I don't live in Seattle but about 30 mins away from it so yeah. Life is a slower than it was in California. People that don't live here complain about the rain but honestly its not that bad (we had an awesome summer). As for jobs, there is a lot of IT firms here (Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing, etc..). The car community is pretty active but tbh its a little slow in the winter but come Spring, there is like a meet every weekend. We do have Pacific raceways which is really close that has a drag strip and a track (also one in the making in Kitsap). Overall I do enjoy living here. Let me know if you have any questions.

I'd recommend not living in Seattle but a neighboring city with the ability to drive to Seattle (Bellevue, Renton, Redmond, Kirkland, Auburn, etc...)
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #30
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #31
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Lol chill; Its not as bad everyone in the country perceives it as. If you really don't like rain, then don't come up here. But I moved from Southern California years ago up here and yes at first it was a shock but now I'm just used to it (how to tell if someone is a tourist, they have an umbrella).
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #32
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

OP as you can see there are mixed opinions on Seattle. I lived there for 18 years and the pluses outweighs the minuses imo. If you are an outdoorsy type it will be heaven, so many things to do and the scenery is absolutely stunning. My favorite part of the state was exploring it all, the San Juan Islands, Mt. Rainer, the rain forests, and Vancouver BC just a couple of hours away from Seattle. In the summer it has the best weather in the US, low humidity and average temps in the 70s.

I think the people are friendly enough except during the winter people go into the "Seattle freeze", they hibernate and don't really socialize. Also as others have mentioned the traffic is horrible. The biggest drawback is the rain, you get a constant light drizzle for eight months straight. Some people that live there don't mind the rain, so that's a good question to ask yourself before moving there. I got used to it but after many years enough was enough. And yes the real estae it is expensive... but some areas are worth the investment and you can make money if that's your thing.

But overall I loved living in Seattle.
Appreciate 2
Ickdeep5706.00
Germanauto9665.50
      12-21-2018, 11:33 AM   #33
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
The rain helps with population control. I can't imagine how many more people would be here if we had great weather year round. It also wouldn't be so green w/o all the rain.
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5706.00
      12-21-2018, 12:40 PM   #34
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Yeah, in TX and OK they are camped out at all the busy intersections.

Never seen any encampments in Seattle area. I’m sure there are some, but I’ve never seen em.

Ultimately this often comes down to one side that hates everything about the other side and proclaiming their righteousness which never holds up under close examination. For me, it’s what do these places have to offer. There are lots of taxes in TX too, some are different. Infrastructure is important. Both have their challenges. Seattle and WA has such varied climates and terrain that it has a lot to offer me. I don’t choose my states based on my political affiliation, because living life is more important.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #35
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Seattle > Dallas by a LOOONG shot, but I've only visited them. To me, they are so different that it is hard to imagine anybody who would find them hard to pick between.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #36
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Ban on non compostable straws. We have straws in Seattle and I can assure you they function just fine. Is anyone really going to make the choice between Dallas and Seattle based on straws?

Now the homeless thing, yeah, that's a major pain in the ass. Walked out the back door at work on Monday and almost tripped over a dude in a santa hat taking a dump on our loading dock. It's outta control.

OP, people in Seattle are generally friendly but in no way are they outgoing or engaging. Classic Seattle scene is a coffee shop with 30 people in it, all of them with headphones on looking down at electronic devices, with no one talking. My personal favorite Seattle scene is 3 or 4 people at the grocery store all jammed up with their carts, unable to move, just standing there awkwardly, totally stuck, because no one will even look up and make eye contact. They all just stand there looking down, mumbling incoherently, and not moving because they are all too passive to take initiative and work through the situation. If you are a real people person you may find that though.

Have you visited Seattle? If not, now is an excellent time to do so. Low 40s and drizzle almost every day in the 10 day forecast. I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. If you think that's bad, just wait 3 months till March when it's still 40 degrees and drizzle every day. Summers used to be bulletproof here but lately we've been having massive forest fires and choking smoke that fills the air from July through August.

As others have said, cost of living is very high. My house doubled in value in 4 years. A 1 bedroom apt. in the city can set you back $2k/month.

I do like the city but having spent 30 of my 44 years here, I'm starting to long for something else. The city is feeling dirty, over crowded, expensive, and not very friendly.

I find the car culture here to generally suck. There are enthusiasts but they are outnumbered by self-righteous Prius drivers about 100:1.

The city cant seem to put in bike lanes fast enough. Turning 4 lane arterials into 2 lanes for cars and 2 for bikes. Downtown is even worse. Many streets now choked off into just a single lane for cars and the rest for busses, bikes, planter boxes, homeless tents, and generally anything but cars.

So yeah, Seattle. I'm clearly burnt on the place. But if you are in your 20s or early 30s, come on out. Join the rest of the herd that's moving here. See what all the fuss is about for 3 to 5 years, then plan to escape back someplace warm, clean, and friendly.
You essentially said the same as me but with more detail. It's good to know I'm not the only one.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      12-21-2018, 02:46 PM   #37
mistapony
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tanzanite/Opal Comp M3 MT

I just moved from Seattle to Denver. My family and I lived there for over 3 years and liked it a lot. We lived on Mercer Island which is on Lake Washington right between Seattle and Bellevue. We loved the island and thought the summer months were mostly amazing, fun boating, wake surfing, paddle boarding and kayaking. Like everyone said as soon as October hits be ready for a a long dark and dreary time until at least March if not later. A lot of people end up vacationing to somewhere sunny during that time. In the end Denver just had way more sun and better weather over all so we moved back. But I do look forward to visiting the PNW in the summers.

It was tough to leave this backyard!
Attached Images

Last edited by mistapony; 12-21-2018 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      12-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #38
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Am i even going to be able to enjoy my M3 if i move to Seattle? From what is sounds like, the car scene is not very involved, traffic is bad etc
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #39
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Am i even going to be able to enjoy my M3 if i move to Seattle? From what is sounds like, the car scene is not very involved, traffic is bad etc
Like if you live downtown and work one block away? No, but that's no different than Dallas or any other major city. There are lots of M3s and other high end cars there and people driving them. It's a major city, like San Francisco, LA, Dallas, Denver, etc. Except, this one is next to mountains and water with some amazing drives. Apart from living in the city (if that is your choice), there are amazing roads and drives nearby and that certainly doesn't exist for all major cities.

I've driven over multiple mountain passes in WA, along the sound, down through the middle, coming over from the East, there's nothing like it in Texas. Depending on where you live and drive, you may want all seasons or winter tires, but snow is very rare in Seattle and other coastal areas. It is wet and some all seasons are infinitely better in wet, so those would probably be your "winter" tires in most places. If you live up in snow country, it would be a better summer car.

Ultimately you should buy a car for you, not for other people. I don't know what the "car scene" is, but I can tell you there are probably as many or more $100,000+ cars there per capita as compared to Dallas.

Last edited by RM7; 12-21-2018 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #40
Lucky John
Out to Lunch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1965 Land Rover Series 2A

Quote:
I don't know Dallas so have no opinion there, but I know Seattle. A realistic question should be what area of town is the job going to be in? There is a pretty drastic difference between commutes so what part of town is the job supposed to be in?

Another really good question is Would this be permanent? ie are we talking you are starting your career working for one company and will always work in the one city? If we are talking short term it is different then a life time.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 05:06 PM   #41
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I moved to the Seattle Eastside suburbs with my family in '06. The entire region has grown A LOT. It is easily the newest and cleanest feeling metropolis I've ever seen.

There's a lot of money to be made and there's a fair amount to do. On the downside the weather sucks balls for over 8 months. It's consistently gloomy and drizzling. And home prices have grown a lot. Traffic has become pretty bad...not LA bad but there's simply too many people for the size of the region and roads. There's too many geographical limitations on how much road they can construct. Speed limits are too low everywhere.

Some people have commented on crazy liberals but that's really just a vocal segment of the population in the city itself. Most people, especially in the Eastside suburbs, are level-headed.

The proximity to Vancouver is huge in my opinion, as Vancouver is a truly world-class cosmopolitan city. I can't say enough great things about it.

Last edited by Germanauto; 12-21-2018 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 05:13 PM   #42
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistapony View Post
I just moved from Seattle to Denver. My family and I lived there for over 3 years and liked it a lot. We lived on Mercer Island which is on Lake Washington right between Seattle and Bellevue. We loved the island and thought the summer months were mostly amazing, fun boating, wake surfing, paddle boarding and kayaking. Like everyone said as soon as October hits be ready for a a long dark and dreary time until at least March if not later. A lot of people end up vacationing to somewhere sunny during that time. In the end Denver just had way more sun and better weather over all so we moved back. But I do look forward to visiting the PNW in the summers.

It was tough to leave this backyard!
Love that photo. We are a little more east and have a view of Cougar mountain, Lake Washington, Seattle, Bellevue, and the Olympic range.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 05:33 PM   #43
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky John View Post
Quote:
I don't know Dallas so have no opinion there, but I know Seattle. A realistic question should be what area of town is the job going to be in? There is a pretty drastic difference between commutes so what part of town is the job supposed to be in?

Another really good question is Would this be permanent? ie are we talking you are starting your career working for one company and will always work in the one city? If we are talking short term it is different then a life time.
The job is in downtown Seattle and i am a Data Scientist so its an IT job except i can communicate with people lol. I am also early in my career (23 years old) and i will not live in Seattle for more than 3-5 years. Will definitely want to move somewhere warmer like California at some point.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2018, 06:13 PM   #44
Lucky John
Out to Lunch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1965 Land Rover Series 2A

I'd go with Seattle then. We lived there for most of my life and when we retired we moved to a farm North of Bellingham. If a year or two in you don't like it you can get out.

Off the top of my head the three things that suck will be, the weather, the traffic, and the homeless. You will probably not be driving your M3 downtown as a daily driver unless they are providing parking. Even then the traffic. That all depends on where you live. I would recommend looking North or East (often referred to as the Eastside) or Bellevue (Swellvue) Mercer Island, Kirkland etc. We lived in Maple Leaf over twenty five years and I grew up in Bellevue. Most people get used to the weather. There really are two seasons, Summer and Rain. The homeless congregate in Seattle because the weather is so mild you can live in a tent through out the year. Washington was also one of the early adopters of legal pot so many users flocked there. They lived out of their RVs until they were impounded and ended up on the streets. Cities like Miami were actually farming them out to Seattle.
On the up side for someone young and single it has a lot of night life and like people have said it is a beautiful city. Start looking at what living costs are going to be and make sure they are paying you enough to enjoy living there.
Appreciate 0