BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

09-27-2015, 05:54 PM   #1
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: n/a

Where to hardwire REAR dashcam?

Hi all,

I'm looking to install a rear dashcam, but wasn't sure about the wiring I can tap into in the rear.

For my front dashcam, I just routed the wire along the top of the windshield and down the passenger A pillar to a tap a fuse. It's powered only when the car is in ignition/on mode. I'd like the rear to be powered at the same time. Is there somewhere to tap into in the rear or will I have to wire it across the roof to the same location?

The dashcam will be in the interior somewhere along the rear window (not outside).

Thanks!
      10-12-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep

Anybody have an idea of what I can tap into?
      10-13-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

The best / easiest method is just to run the wire to the front of the car. Thats how I have it set up... I have a dual cam (front + rear), so as far as power goes, its just the front piece that takes power... But the idea is the same as the rear needs to be plugged into the front.

A quick rundown would be:

a) Remove passenger side rear seat. Takes a couple of strong trusts and it comes right out. I am talking about just the part that sits under your rear end when you are sitting in the rear passenger side.

b) Remove passenger side rear "side pillow". The part that sits between your right hip and right shoulder if you are sitting in the rear on the passengers side. It pops right out, top first.

c) Remove passenger side C pillar. There is a torx screw behind the "air bag" plastic piece. There is no air bag there, so don't worry. Remove the torx screw, and its held in place by 2-3 clips. To pop it out pull it towards the center of the car / top mounted center brake light. Yes, this takes quite some force. Trim removal tools help lots here. This can be a little tricky, just bare in mind the clips essentially run along the rear window. So thats where you want to pop it out first before sliding it out.

d) Remove the large trim on the passenger side front seat that's right by the door. Not the one under the door (that should read "M3"), its the one right by the seat controls. Held in place by 6-7 clips. Start from one side and slowly pop it out.

e) Remove SOME (not all) of the gasket strip that sits between the door and the car on the front passenger side. I am talking about the long "circle" gasket that seals the front passenger door to the car. Attached to the car side. You want to pull off about 0.5 meters worth between the floor of the car (essentially where your feet are if you are sitting front passenger side) to just above the fuse box. This is where the wire will be hidden right before you fish it to the fuse box.

f) At this point you have everything you need to run a cable from the junction box (fuse box) to the rear of the car and hide the cable nice and clean.

That's how I did my rear camera setup. As mentioned, mine was 1-2 more steps as I had to run the cable up to the front camera... But essentially the same.

PS : If you really really want to tap something in the rear then the easiest would be the combox (assuming you have one). Look up the pin layout for the combox and splice into the wires there. Its KL30G, so it will turn off 30 minutes after the car has been locked / left idle and turned off. The combox is located at the furthers point under the trunk "floor" when you remove it, assuming you are standing at the back looking forward in the same direction you would be traveling if you were driving forwards.

Last edited by anom3; 10-13-2015 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #4
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anom3 View Post
The best / easiest method is just to run the wire to the front of the car. Thats how I have it set up... I have a dual cam (front + rear), so as far as power goes, its just the front piece that takes power... But the idea is the same as the rear needs to be plugged into the front.
Oh man, I was afraid it was going to be like this. I'm not too comfortable tapping into the combox, and don't want this to run on the battery for 30 minutes (probably doesn't drain too much, but still).

I'll have to set aside a cold weekend to do this then, weather has been 85-100 these past few days.

Thanks man! Really appreciate it.
      01-21-2019, 06:34 PM   #5
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

are you running a 2-channel dash cam? or 2 separate dash cams, 1 in front and 1 in rear?
(i know this thread is old but curious. i'm about to hardwire my 2-ch dashcam soon)

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 09:10 PM   #6
nleeumd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, e46m3

I ran the powered wire for my rear dash cam from the fuse box in the passenger footwell and ran it all the way back to the rear windshield. It wasn't difficult, my only issues was routing it behind the C pillar cover. I used two separate dash cameras
Appreciate 0