BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

01-04-2019, 02:06 PM   #23
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
We are $120/hr. Dealers here are around $180/hr.

Also agree with the above comments... You need to talk to a service manager to get a grasp of their competency. In all fairness, talking to a sales manager at a dealer isn't going to tell you much about the quality of work their shop is cranking out.

You really should be able to talk to the tech doing the work if you want to know what will happen if you drop off your car there...
Appreciate 5
Honda288.50
PACarGuy679.00
R3dliner934.50
IanMan384.00
      01-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #24
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
A head cover gasket is something entirely different. Interesting bill
These were the valve cover gaskets (check the part numbers), plus I can see the new ones in place below the valve covers, so the tech must have just written it wrong on the invoice. Perhaps he wrote it that way to satisfy the warranty company.
      01-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #25
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
These were the valve cover gaskets (check the part numbers), plus I can see the new ones in place below the valve covers, so the tech must have just written it wrong on the invoice. Perhaps he wrote it that way to satisfy the warranty company.
That's probably not in your best interest. A warranty company will only cover a predetermined amount and unnecessary markups can end your coverage prematurely. Might want to look into that.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 02:44 PM   #26
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
That's probably not in your best interest. A warranty company will only cover a predetermined amount and unnecessary markups can end your coverage prematurely. Might want to look into that.
Never heard of this. If there was a "predetermined limit" I think I would've crossed that threshold with my own car by now given the amount they have covered for me.
      01-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #27
decimation1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
you don't have one of these cars and you know enough about them to be suspicious of that guy.
he supposedly works on them and doesn't seem to have a solid grasp.

that should tell you everything you need to know.
This all day long!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #28
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyDawg View Post
I am in the market for an e90 M3 and wanted to get an idea of the cost of some maint. items from a local shop that was actually recommended on here (as a result I won't be providing the name of the shop). I left the convo with more questions than answers and curious if you guys agree/disagree with some of the info he provided:

-I asked about RB replacement. He stated it was an issue but not with a lot of cars and seemed to suggest it was just something you could address if they go bad. (First red flag). Went on to say the cost would be $3k - 4k and said they only recommended OEM RBs as a replacement.

-He stated that anyone who owned an M should expect to spend $2-$2.5k on maint/service on an annual basis. Went on to say that over a 5 year period, you could expect to spend $15-20k on your M.

-Even though I mentioned I was shopping for an e90... he mentioned he liked "M5"s from that year and kept referring to SMG transmission (I did correct that I was only shopping for MT to end that part of the convo).

-Stated valve cover gasket replacement was ~$1k ... this may not be that far off since it is labor intensive...

Having done my research on what I am looking to buy, I didnt find my convo with him to be particularly accurate although some of his comments are subjective.

Curious what you guys think? Would you give this shop a chance or should I be looking for another option?

Run, not walk, run away!!

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #29
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
Never heard of this. If there was a "predetermined limit" I think I would've crossed that threshold with my own car by now given the amount they have covered for me.
It's probably worth it to check your agreement. Every aftermarket warranty I've seen has limits on total liability.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #30
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
It's probably worth it to check your agreement. Every aftermarket warranty I've seen has limits on total liability.
I've read through my agreement cover to cover, absolutely no mention of any total liability limit. I think the warranties you looked at just suck.
      01-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #31
FuzzyPeaches
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

I'd be curious to know which shop this is (if in the Atlanta area). I know of several competent indy shops around if you want a different opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 03:40 PM   #32
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3, '18 M2, '22 X3M

Quote:
Yeah, mine only covers up to the amount I financed when I bought it, since it was thru the credit union I used. My total coverage cannot exceed that $22K or so, which sort of scares me considering they already dropped $3300 for the evaporator. Hope the engine holds up!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #33
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
I'd been to a couple Indy shops since getting my car a few months ago, couple odd jobs done here and there. Had a DCT pan and gasket and brake fluid flush done at one place, exhaust leak fixed at another, driveshaft replaced at another.

The last shop I went to I knew my car was home. One of the guys was spouting off bearing clearances off the top of his head, explaining in detail the difference between BE bearings, OE WPC treated, etc, what are ARP bolts, etc. The guy moved my car like 30 feet into the garage and identified something two other PPIs didn't pick up just by turning the steering wheel, he's so used to being in and around these cars.

Try more shops. When you find one like Tuning Dynamics in Florida, you'll know. I'd drop my car off there for anything, no question whatsoever. There were other good shops around but I didn't get the feeling they were obsessive about the details of M3s. Not that I wouldn't trust the other shops, they were great, but I want the guys that live, eat, breath M3s. I'd be damn surprised if they didn't see this post, they strike me as the kind of guys who spend free time on the forums, much like us.

Personally, I'm not letting just any shop open up my expensive ass complicated engine. Search out a few shops in the area and spend a few hundred here and there to find out who will be your go-to for rod bearings and other complicated stuff.

And if you show up in a car like an M3, you should expect to speak with the owner or a tech. You're not dropping off a Kia for a headlight bulb replacement. The fact that they let you leave there feeling anything less than warm and fuzzy isn't a good sign. They could make thousands per year off you for the foreseeable future. If you didn't talk to someone that would be working on your car they're too busy or don't really understand how tricky these cars are and how obsessive the owners can be.
MikeyDawg210.00
      01-04-2019, 08:26 PM   #34
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My warranty doesn't specify predetermined amounts for repairs other than to say that the limit for a single claim is limited to the retail cost of repairs and parts, and the (aggregate) total liability is limited to the actual cash value of the vehicle. There was no "unnecessary markup" here - it was performed at a BMW dealer and the warranty adjuster reviewed all the work (and actually inspected the car) before it was performed. My guess is he either asked the tech to write it that way or the tech made a mistake. I'm not concerned about it. The only thing is I wish he had replaced the spark plug tubes at the same time. I forgot to mention it and assumed it was standard procedure, but I guess not.
      01-04-2019, 08:44 PM   #35
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
Find a different shop.
I agree with the statement about the SMG. I had an employee that had a 2005 M5. She was driving along at 50mph when the transmission suddenly decided to shift into reverse.

One transmission, engine and ECU later, the car was running again, but she wasn't driving it. I can't say that I blame her.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 07:01 AM   #36
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPeaches View Post
I'd be curious to know which shop this is (if in the Atlanta area). I know of several competent indy shops around if you want a different opinion.
Ditto. Something tells me I know which shop and possibly which person the OP even talked to if so.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 07:34 AM   #37
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

OP:
Sales Vs Service manager at a BMW dealership are two totally different animals. At an Indy shop a service manager could easily be called a sales manager. I'm the general sales manager here at ACM but with my previous experience at BMW it is the same position as a service manager.

If you are looking for some direction to indy shops in your area i'm sure your regional forum on this website can help you out finding one. I know a few in surrounding states to GA that I have dealt with and would be happy to get you in touch with one of them.

Labor rates vary from region to region. I know the tri-state area, california, DFW, south Florida dealers and indy shops can be some of the most expensive per hour places in the country. I will always recommend shopping around and coming to decision based upon experience vs price vs overall confidence that each shop provides.

Good luck with the search for a good shop by you and as I said before i'd love to help if I can get you in touch with another place.
Appreciate 1
MikeyDawg210.00
      01-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #38
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Once in a while I think "man why do I put myself through all the hassle of DIY" and then I read posts like this and remember
obe100232.00
      01-08-2019, 07:46 PM   #39
obe100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: on the weekends…

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyDawg View Post
I am in the market for an e90 M3 and wanted to get an idea of the cost of some maint. items from a local shop that was actually recommended on here (as a result I won't be providing the name of the shop). I left the convo with more questions than answers and curious if you guys agree/disagree with some of the info he provided:

-I asked about RB replacement. He stated it was an issue but not with a lot of cars and seemed to suggest it was just something you could address if they go bad. (First red flag). Went on to say the cost would be $3k - 4k and said they only recommended OEM RBs as a replacement.

-He stated that anyone who owned an M should expect to spend $2-$2.5k on maint/service on an annual basis. Went on to say that over a 5 year period, you could expect to spend $15-20k on your M.

-Even though I mentioned I was shopping for an e90... he mentioned he liked "M5"s from that year and kept referring to SMG transmission (I did correct that I was only shopping for MT to end that part of the convo).

-Stated valve cover gasket replacement was ~$1k ... this may not be that far off since it is labor intensive...

Having done my research on what I am looking to buy, I didnt find my convo with him to be particularly accurate although some of his comments are subjective.

Curious what you guys think? Would you give this shop a chance or should I be looking for another option?
I literally stopped at bullet #2. $2-$2.5k per year in maintenance? Shiddddd. LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #40
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
My warranty doesn't specify predetermined amounts for repairs other than to say that the limit for a single claim is limited to the retail cost of repairs and parts, and the (aggregate) total liability is limited to the actual cash value of the vehicle. There was no "unnecessary markup" here - it was performed at a BMW dealer and the warranty adjuster reviewed all the work (and actually inspected the car) before it was performed. My guess is he either asked the tech to write it that way or the tech made a mistake. I'm not concerned about it. The only thing is I wish he had replaced the spark plug tubes at the same time. I forgot to mention it and assumed it was standard procedure, but I guess not.
Who is your extended warranty through?
      01-18-2019, 04:31 PM   #41
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
I've never seen this. However, I have seen a warranty company have a monthly limit per month(I believe it was $2500CDN or $5000CDN) for warranty work. Kinda curious how that would be in case of catastrophic engine failure.
      01-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #42
deansbimmer
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
I've never seen this. However, I have seen a warranty company have a monthly limit per month(I believe it was $2500CDN or $5000CDN) for warranty work. Kinda curious how that would be in case of catastrophic engine failure.
Absolutely. Just yesterday we diagnosed an X3 with transfer case failure. His extended warranty contract had a $1000 limit of liability in that category so the customer was left with a significant out of pocket bill. Unfortunately this is seen this all the time. Really need to go through your contracts to make sure you're covered before assuming.
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1457.50
      01-19-2019, 09:05 PM   #43
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonsbs5114 View Post
Who is your extended warranty through?
USAA (Assurant). Probably wouldn't have bought a warranty if not for USAA.