BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

01-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #45
2002ish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I had my RBs done by MRF.

In addition to the peace of mind and insurance policy that the RB service adds, the amount of additional services that are included would cost the same at a dealer as the entire RB service at MRF.

Go to a dealer and get a quote for Oil pan gasket R&R, engine mounts R&R, alignment, PS fluid exchange, coolant exchange, oil change with Liquimoly, a real inspection rather than just reading codes.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 07:29 AM   #46
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Hundreds of rod bearing jobs, maybe a dozen blown motors due to bearing failure. Most of the bearing jobs we have done have been documented in this thread.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1262765
There are 14 pages of documentation.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong for not doing bearings. You own the car and can choose to do whatever you feel is best for long term reliability.

Last edited by jeff@autocouture; 01-15-2019 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:24 AM   #47
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@autocouture View Post
Hundreds of rod bearing jobs, maybe a dozen blown motors due to bearing failure. Most of the bearing jobs we have done have been documented in this thread.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1262765
There are 14 pages of documentation.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong for not doing bearings. You own the car and can choose to do whatever you feel is best for long term reliability.
Hey Jeff, had a look at the thread but thought its quicker to ask you mate; out of the "hundreds" of shell sets coming out, would you be able to set a percentage on how many was good (incl some touched I guess is fair)?

EDIT: Instead of diluting this thread I ask this in your own thread Jeff.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #48
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Hey Jeff, had a look at the thread but thought its quicker to ask you mate; out of the "hundreds" of shell sets coming out, would you be able to set a percentage on how many was good (incl some touched I guess is fair)?

EDIT: Instead of diluting this thread I ask this in your own thread Jeff.

Thanks!
Its a great question! I will answer in the other thread for those who are interested as this thread has gone in a few different directions.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #49
Sneaky Pete
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
The tolerance stack theory seems to be more like a reverse lottery. A relatively small number win and suffer engine failure.

The part that concerns me is that the vast majority of bearings that come out for preventative maintenance replacement look excessively worn for their mileage.
Rereading this thread is quite interesting.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1073979
You have to wonder why anyone would choose anything other than the VAC coated bearings and ARP bolts.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #50
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
You have to wonder why anyone would choose anything other than the VAC coated bearings and ARP bolts.
Yes its very interesting Pete, so is Auto couture's thread which I actually haven't bumped into until now. Bet you will think even more interesting as they're using the coated/tighter WPC shell. Planning to post on M3Cutters to inspire some further interesting discussion...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #51
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Quote:
Yes its very interesting Pete, so is Auto couture's thread which I actually haven't bumped into until now. Bet you will think even more interesting as they're using the coated/tighter WPC shell. Planning to post on M3Cutters to inspire some further interesting discussion...
Actually the WPC treatment increases clearance as well, not as much as the BE, but it does give a slight increase in clearance.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #52
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@autocouture View Post
Actually the WPC treatment increases clearance as well, not as much as the BE, but it does give a slight increase in clearance.
Thanks for clarificario Jeff, thought one of your post said it did tighten it up. Any idea about by how much it increases clearance or too small to be relevant?

Ps. Guess we should continue this at your own thread.
Appreciate 2
      01-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #53
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

WPC is not a coating. It’s sort of like micro shot peening. I think the resulting microscopic dimples help retain oil. I put a set of WPC treated stock bearings and new stock bolts in my car in 2014. Driven only 35k miles since and my original bearings were not on the verge of failure like some, so I don’t feel like I need to replace them again until they have at least as many miles as the originals (60k). At that point I might just pull the motor and do the mains as well. Could be a fun project.

Last edited by pbonsalb; 01-15-2019 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #54
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
Then when you read about VAC business practices, sending older bearings when customers order/expected the new ones, you wonder why anyone wants to do business with VAC.

They've probably sorted it out by now and hopefully don't even make their older ones, but they don't have a great history of customer service.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #55
Sneaky Pete
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M car

Quote:

Planning to post on M3Cutters to inspire some further interesting discussion...
Really? I'm not sure there is much appetite for bearing discussions on cutters.
Except for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post

They've probably sorted it out by now and hopefully don't even make their older ones,
It would seem so given the impressive results that MRF have had with the VAC ARP combo.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:00 PM   #56
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrAcK TRaP View Post
Say "NO" to rod bearing replacement and stop scaring people.. Rev it all the way to redline and enjoy it god..
Trolling or just in denial?
Appreciate 2