BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-08-2016, 07:32 PM   #23
M3amigos
HP addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E93 6MT

Inspect your belts!

One critical maintenance item thats not emphasized very often is to inspect and replace your belts. It may not be something you easily notice without checking, but after seeing the state of my last belt during my alternator change, I'll certainly be checking at least once a year.

This is my ac/ps belt after about 3 years. I'm amazed it still ran and very lucky it didn't break on me. My other belt was ok, so I'm not sure what caused the excessive wear.

08-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #24
delirium330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 3 Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3amigos View Post
One critical maintenance item thats not emphasized very often is to inspect and replace your belts. It may not be something you easily notice without checking, but after seeing the state of my last belt during my alternator change, I'll certainly be checking at least once a year.

This is my ac/ps belt after about 3 years. I'm amazed it still ran and very lucky it didn't break on me. My other belt was ok, so I'm not sure what caused the excessive wear.

Wow, that is some serious wear, to the level of abnormal? Did you inspect your pulleys when you replaced the belt? In my log (post #1) I've got a line item for both of the belts at 60k miles, but definitely inspection dependent.

Also, did you DIY for the belts? How was it? Seems pretty tight from the bottom of the car and impossible from the top of the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #25
M3amigos
HP addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E93 6MT

Pulleys all appeared ok, including the idler, so I'm not sure what caused it. I do have an Hpa crank pulley, but no apparent issues there either. I assume The belt started cracking a while ago from these Florida summers, and it rapidly started to deteriorate. I did put on about 40k miles over those three years, and I should have checked it much sooner.

I did do the work myself, its pretty simple actually. Trick is to remove intake airbox and elbow and pull the radiator fan. It looks tricky the first time you do it, but its really just one screw, one plug, and guiding it out carefully. After that, use a long wrench or ratchet to loosen the tensioners and loosen the idler pulley to remove the belt. Probably take me an hour if I did it again.
      08-09-2016, 10:03 PM   #26
delirium330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3amigos View Post
Pulleys all appeared ok, including the idler, so I'm not sure what caused it. I do have an Hpa crank pulley, but no apparent issues there either. I assume The belt started cracking a while ago from these Florida summers, and it rapidly started to deteriorate. I did put on about 40k miles over those three years, and I should have checked it much sooner.

I did do the work myself, its pretty simple actually. Trick is to remove intake airbox and elbow and pull the radiator fan. It looks tricky the first time you do it, but its really just one screw, one plug, and guiding it out carefully. After that, use a long wrench or ratchet to loosen the tensioners and loosen the idler pulley to remove the belt. Probably take me an hour if I did it again.
Nice, sounds pretty straightforward from the top then. Will DIY next time.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #27
Apex Everything
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium330 View Post
Nice, sounds pretty straightforward from the top then. Will DIY next time.
This log is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 01:34 PM   #28
boostu
Rep
Drives: GT350

Apologies for bumping an old thread but could someone post a copy of this file on Google Docs or something similar? I reached out to delirium but I think a common link here in the thread could help lighten his load of constant requests.

Also if someone wants to send me the file via PM I can, with permission of course, post it here as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 10:24 PM   #29
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Here you go
Attached Files
File Type: zip M3 Service Log (Example).zip (19.3 KB, 117 views)
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #30
delirium330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry for the late PM replies, thanks for the above attachment post. Should have done that from the start.
Appreciate 0