BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

09-04-2019, 12:44 AM   #1343
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
The only question is whether your 1:45.2 put you ahead of his cheater GT2 RS....
haha not even a chance. He said he rolled a 1:37 that day. You can't compare my E92 to that thing. That car has like 700whp or something and weighs 500+ lbs less. That's literally double the hp that my E92 has at the wheels. He said he was doing in the high 150s mph at the end of the front straight. I was doing 123mph....hehe

I'm not worried about it. The E92 is fun as heck to toss around the track!
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11487.00
      09-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #1344
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
Eff that bitch ass instructor. The only question is whether your 1:45.2 put you ahead of his cheater GT2 RS....
There's always someone faster out there!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 08:25 AM   #1345
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I try running a bmwcca event every couple years because i feel bad that i don't give them any of my business, but each time it's a mess.

Mandatory instruction for all groups? Why? Why endanger instructors like that? How much can someone in a e30 that takes the corner at 23mph teach to someone with pirelli slicks, downforce and 3x the hp about the same corner?

The mandatory classroom is also really annoying. The last time i ran with them they'd give you a password you had to speak at pit out to be allowed out. What the fuck!

We have to remove instructors from cars altogether and have lead/follow kind of sessions when any instruction is needed.
Appreciate 2
rhyary1563.00
PrimeBMW661.50
      09-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #1346
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
I'm volunteering in the pit crew this weekend for Big Mission Racing at the 24 hour race. Should be cool experience. I believe they're racing two cars in the event. Agreed, on the open lapping days in September.

I might sign up for NASA's event at HPR Oct 12/13 - Or I might try to find an open Friday instead. Just weary of the # of cars and experience level of the drivers during true open days. I believe Doug from the Pueblo event dcmac mentioned he might attend?
What's up fellas? Great to meet you at Pueblo.

Yep I'll be out at the NASA event at HPR on Oct 12/13 - you should come, it's always well run.

Not a fan of HPR open lap days - there seems to always be a few idiots who have zero etiquette or not enough experience to be out on track by themselves. However given your respective experience levels, I'm sure you'd handle it... I just prefer the more organised events...

Cheers, catch you soon!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 11:18 AM   #1347
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
After the track day was over, CCA requests you participate in an online evaluation process. I did. The instructor wrote quite a few notes---some complimentary and some critical. His most critical note struck me as a bit odd---"I am not confident a 100mph+ oversteer incident could be caught before a critical yaw moment and/or an off track excursion." First of all, I caught any slide that occurred on Saturday. Second, when I have a passenger, I will catch a slide in the most conservative way possible. And third, of all the tracks I have ever visited, I can only think of three places where a 100+mph oversteer moment is even possible, and none are in Colorado----they are the Riverside turn at Buttonwillow, Turn 9 at Willow Springs and Turn 10 at Sonoma.
This is so bizarre. I've driven Pueblo a few times now and if we're stretching, you MIGHT be able to initiate a 100mph+ oversteer in the early stages of Turn 1, perhaps if you come in too hot and still try to keep it tight? Being honest though, I just don't think that's even possible. It's a huge on-camber turn and the braking zone is so big that you are knocking back down under 100mph fairly quickly after the straight. There's no other spot on the track where it could happen, so this is a very weird comment.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #1348
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

lol - that's some A+ wankerism right there - I used the words from the book of How To Drive Good therefore I Speak with Authority!

This is one of those places that reinforces my position taht data downloads with video are the only instructor anybody needs. Meat sacks in passenger seats with (rightfully) litigious families and zero control authority beyond yelling are not useful
      09-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #1349
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
This is so bizarre. I've driven Pueblo a few times now and if we're stretching, you MIGHT be able to initiate a 100mph+ oversteer in the early stages of Turn 1, perhaps if you come in too hot and still try to keep it tight? Being honest though, I just don't think that's even possible. It's a huge on-camber turn and the braking zone is so big that you are knocking back down under 100mph fairly quickly after the straight. There's no other spot on the track where it could happen, so this is a very weird comment.
Hey dcmac! Yeah it was fun hanging with you guys!

Regarding Turn 1---If you're in a non-aero, full weight M3 doing anywhere near 100mph in that turn........you ain't got no chance of making that corner......no chance. Forget oversteering or catching a slide. You will simply fly off the track. My data on my fast lap shows me going in the 60's mph and 70's mph range in that turn. I checked a video of someone doing a 1:43 and they are doing the same speeds in that turn.

My point was simply that this comment seemed to come out of nowhere. There's really nowhere in CO to even find that scenario. Even in California, it's rare. There were other critical comments and his scoring was fairly critical as well. It's fine. I have no desire to dwell on how I was scored. I just go out and do my thing. If that doesn't fall within the bounds of BMW CCA's expectations, and they score me low, that's ok. I can handle it. If they tell me I can't time trial with CCA, then I'll just go do other events. There's no shortage of track days!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 02:49 PM   #1350
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
lol - that's some A+ wankerism right there - I used the words from the book of How To Drive Good therefore I Speak with Authority!

This is one of those places that reinforces my position taht data downloads with video are the only instructor anybody needs. Meat sacks in passenger seats with (rightfully) litigious families and zero control authority beyond yelling are not useful
haha Richbot, I always love your writing style!!!

I agree that good data along with video is important. I have learned so much that way. And I've helped others using data. Quite often, I feel like it's better to see what you are doing incorrectly when you can calmly see it. Then, you have something specific in your head to work on.

Usually, when I go to a new track, I have two days. Day 1 is stumbling around the track like an idiot trying to learn the place. Day 2, I go for time. Well, on this event, I only had one day and I had someone critiquing every move I made, so I was trying to learn the place, go for time and deal with an instructor who is calling out every mistake I make. Plus, having any passenger in the car---instructor or otherwise changes how I drive.

Ultimately, his online rating was quite a bit more critical than his in-car dialogue. It's ok. I can take it! My ego is not wrapped up in a CCA rating. And as I said before, I wasn't driving trying to impress anyone. I could have backed off 5 seconds on the pace and hit all the marks perfectly. But I only had one day out there, so I was pushing things and missing marks. But, I learn from that. It may not be the way CCA wants me to learn but I learn from it. Plus, I flat out disagreed with some of his advice. He wanted me to exit corners in 3rd. I just don't do that. In my opinion, the car bogs down. I need/want to jump out of corners in 2nd with that car if I'm trying to go fast.

Anyway, it's all good. I thanked him for being willing to sit in the passenger seat while I was learning the track. He said he likes doing it. That is a special breed of person. And that breed is not me. He drove my car a few laps while I sat in the passenger seat. hehe that's just not my thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #1351
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I try running a bmwcca event every couple years because i feel bad that i don't give them any of my business, but each time it's a mess.

Mandatory instruction for all groups? Why? Why endanger instructors like that? How much can someone in a e30 that takes the corner at 23mph teach to someone with pirelli slicks, downforce and 3x the hp about the same corner?

The mandatory classroom is also really annoying. The last time i ran with them they'd give you a password you had to speak at pit out to be allowed out. What the fuck!

We have to remove instructors from cars altogether and have lead/follow kind of sessions when any instruction is needed.
Previously, I never knew anyone from CCA. But over the last few months, I have run into the Rocky Mountain CCA chief driving instructor at High Plains several times. After chatting with him about CCA events, I decided to give it a go. For me, it was mainly social and to see a new track. (As I mentioned before, I could have actually run Pueblo the day before the CCA event and skipped all the CCA formalities, but I specifically wanted to see what it was about.)

I'm not sorry I attended. But my future attendance depends on what I'm allowed to run in. If I'm required to keep driving with an instructor every time I go on track, then I will spend my time and money elsewhere.

As I said to Richbot, I believe in data/video coaching. You can really dig into a driver's performance if the device is tied into the CAN bus. You can see without any doubts how and where the gas and brake are being pressed, where the driver is gaining and losing time from lap to lap, and many other things. Stuff like that is very valuable, and it's hard to assess those things while you're driving.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11487.00
      09-05-2019, 02:44 PM   #1352
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

Previously, I never knew anyone from CCA. But over the last few months, I have run into the Rocky Mountain CCA chief driving instructor at High Plains several times. After chatting with him about CCA events, I decided to give it a go. For me, it was mainly social and to see a new track. (As I mentioned before, I could have actually run Pueblo the day before the CCA event and skipped all the CCA formalities, but I specifically wanted to see what it was about.)

I'm not sorry I attended. But my future attendance depends on what I'm allowed to run in. If I'm required to keep driving with an instructor every time I go on track, then I will spend my time and money elsewhere.

As I said to Richbot, I believe in data/video coaching. You can really dig into a driver's performance if the device is tied into the CAN bus. You can see without any doubts how and where the gas and brake are being pressed, where the driver is gaining and losing time from lap to lap, and many other things. Stuff like that is very valuable, and it's hard to assess those things while you're driving.
@dogbone

If you're looking for maximum track time, minimal traffic, and pit crew support of a professional race team check out 3R Racing's event.

They bring their driver Aaron Povoledo and full engineering crew out for live suspension adjustments, data analysis, video review of specific turns, etc. Aaron spent the first hour driving to each corner, getting out and walking to discuss his approach, observations, etc. Hint they were all super aggressive and he's a big advocate of running berms, grass, hanging wheels off, etc. I can share my notes and audio recordings if helpful.

I attended their event in August at HPR. Was only 8 cars with 5.5 hours of open track time in 1 - 1.5hr sessions. Very pricey at $600 for the day. But given your experience and car setup knowledge I'm sure you could gain valuable insights from the engineering support and Aaron reviewing your data.
      09-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #1353
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
@dogbone

If you're looking for maximum track time, minimal traffic, and pit crew support of a professional race team check out 3R Racing's event.

They bring their driver Aaron Povoledo and full engineering crew out for live suspension adjustments, data analysis, video review of specific turns, etc. Aaron spent the first hour driving to each corner, getting out and walking to discuss his approach, observations, etc. Hint they were all super aggressive and he's a big advocate of running berms, grass, hanging wheels off, etc. I can share my notes and audio recordings if helpful.

I attended their event in August at HPR. Was only 8 cars with 5.5 hours of open track time in 1 - 1.5hr sessions. Very pricey at $600 for the day. But given your experience and car setup knowledge I'm sure you could gain valuable insights from the engineering support and Aaron reviewing your data.
Ah yeah, I know about the 3R Racing days. They are the shop that did the tech on my car for the CCA event. We were talking about their upcoming event in September. Those days sound really really nice. Right now, my thought is that it would be awesome to do a day like that with my E90. With my E92, I just want to have occasional fun days and keep the costs down.

I have the dream of bringing the E90 to CO for the summer in 2020. Hopefully, they'll still be putting those days on next year. I would DEFINITELY do a day like that with my E90.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #1354
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
hehe ok, let's file this one under----uhhhhhh......yeah that IS me!

So, here I am minding my own business, and a message comes in on Instagram. Someone says, "I’m watching The Smoking Tire podcast #444. And they’re interviewing Betim from BBI. And at the 35 minute mark, Betim is talking about a supercharged M3 that was all over him at Willow springs. Is he talking about you?"

I was like, I don't know. So I pulled up the podcast episode, and------he was right! The M3 being talked about was me!

Here's the Smoking Tire podcast fast-forwarded to the part where they're talking about the supercharged M3 at Willow Springs (from 34:43 thru 36:30): (Caution: Smoking Tire has strong language at times (F-bombs, etc.), so just be mindful of the volume if there are sensitive ears nearby. These two minutes are clean.)

So, a couple notes:
-For the record, I did not call the Ultima GTR he was driving "a bucket of shit." It's a very impressive car. hehe And I would never address anyone I don't know like that.
-Of course, I assumed he was not driving the car at the limit. It weighs under 2200 lbs (1000lbs less than me) and has at least 640hp (more power than me). I did say to him that I was surprised that I was able to keep up with him. It is true that I was on his bumper a few times....
-Unfortunately, I don't have video of our encounters on track anymore. For many years, I used to save video from every session, but these days, I make data-overlay videos and then delete the raw video.
-I didn't know Betim was the owner of BBI. Very cool, mellow guy. They build some crazy stuff!

Here's the Ultima GTR he was driving:
Appreciate 4
roastbeef11586.00
SYT_Shadow11487.00
///Mobbin1478.00
slcook541863.00
      09-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #1355
SignatureJames
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M5 Competition

makes for "good for TV" moments like "reality show" editing

Quote:
hehe ok, let's file this one under----uhhhhhh......yeah that IS me!

So, here I am minding my own business, and a message comes in on Instagram. Someone says, "I’m watching The Smoking Tire podcast #444. And they’re interviewing Betim from BBI. And at the 35 minute mark, Betim is talking about a supercharged M3 that was all over him at Willow springs. Is he talking about you?"

I was like, I don't know. So I pulled up the podcast episode, and------he was right! The M3 being talked about was me!

Here's the Smoking Tire podcast fast-forwarded to the part where they're talking about the supercharged M3 at Willow Springs (from 34:43 thru 36:30): (Caution: Smoking Tire has strong language at times (F-bombs, etc.), so just be mindful of the volume if there are sensitive ears nearby. These two minutes are clean.)

So, a couple notes:
-For the record, I did not call the Ultima GTR he was driving "a bucket of shit." It's a very impressive car. hehe And I would never address anyone I don't know like that.
-Of course, I assumed he was not driving the car at the limit. It weighs under 2200 lbs (1000lbs less than me) and has at least 640hp (more power than me). I did say to him that I was surprised that I was able to keep up with him. It is true that I was on his bumper a few times....
-Unfortunately, I don't have video of our encounters on track anymore. For many years, I used to save video from every session, but these days, I make data-overlay videos and then delete the raw video.
-I didn't know Betim was the owner of BBI. Very cool, mellow guy. They build some crazy stuff!

Here's the Ultima GTR he was driving:

1992 Acura NSX / 1998 Acura Integra Type R / 2023 BMW M5 Competition / 2019 Porsche Cayenne S / 2023 Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 10:55 PM   #1356
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

lol nice call out
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 11:34 PM   #1357
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
lol nice call out
Funny how the story just popped up out of the blue. Clearly, the M3 story was not a planned topic. And even more funny that someone saw it, was able to put 2 and 2 together that it might be me in the M3 and then reached out on Instagram. Otherwise, I don't think I would ever have seen it. I've seen a few older episodes of The Smoking Tire, but I've never seen any of their podcasts.

From watching that episode today, I learned that Matt Farah is building a $10 million super earthquake proof garage in Los Angeles to store high value cars for clients. Very cool project.
Appreciate 1
kyippee1073.00
      09-12-2019, 12:09 AM   #1358
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

dogbone FYI I posted a link to your 1:34.3 on Tesla's tweet.... https://twitter.com/Tesla/status/117...898012160?s=20
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 12:39 AM   #1359
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
dogbone FYI I posted a link to your 1:34.3 on Tesla's tweet.... https://twitter.com/Tesla/status/117...898012160?s=20
haha cool.

I clicked on the link, but I couldn't find your post in the thread. What name is it under?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 12:41 AM   #1360
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
haha cool.

I clicked on the link, but I couldn't find your post in the thread. What name is it under?
Posting screenshot.. cool to see them make a fast lap but they need to check their claims
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 01:08 AM   #1361
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Posting screenshot.. cool to see them make a fast lap but they need to check their claims
huh, weird that I can't find the post. Any chance they hid it? (I don't have Twitter.....is that preventing me from seeing something? I can see a very long list of posts.). Anyway, I'm digging the vibe of it!

I mean, of course, my car is heavily modified. But from what I've read, it sounds like the Tesla may be modified to some extent as well. In my book, once you do a mod, it's open season!

Thanks for sharing that!!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 01:11 AM   #1362
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Haha maybe it got stealth deleted? My reply is an hour old by now, if you're searching by recent replies. I still see it in my Twitter app.

I have nothing against Tesla, just responding to their statement which was very bold on its own. Competition is good, and I'd love to see them beat your lap. Then we'll get even better EVs down the line
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #1363
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post

haha Richbot, I always love your writing style!!!

I agree that good data along with video is important. I have learned so much that way. And I've helped others using data. Quite often, I feel like it's better to see what you are doing incorrectly when you can calmly see it. Then, you have something specific in your head to work on.

Usually, when I go to a new track, I have two days. Day 1 is stumbling around the track like an idiot trying to learn the place. Day 2, I go for time. Well, on this event, I only had one day and I had someone critiquing every move I made, so I was trying to learn the place, go for time and deal with an instructor who is calling out every mistake I make. Plus, having any passenger in the car---instructor or otherwise changes how I drive.

Ultimately, his online rating was quite a bit more critical than his in-car dialogue. It's ok. I can take it! My ego is not wrapped up in a CCA rating. And as I said before, I wasn't driving trying to impress anyone. I could have backed off 5 seconds on the pace and hit all the marks perfectly. But I only had one day out there, so I was pushing things and missing marks. But, I learn from that. It may not be the way CCA wants me to learn but I learn from it. Plus, I flat out disagreed with some of his advice. He wanted me to exit corners in 3rd. I just don't do that. In my opinion, the car bogs down. I need/want to jump out of corners in 2nd with that car if I'm trying to go fast.

Anyway, it's all good. I thanked him for being willing to sit in the passenger seat while I was learning the track. He said he likes doing it. That is a special breed of person. And that breed is not me. He drove my car a few laps while I sat in the passenger seat. hehe that's just not my thing.
Ha ha! That is the other thing! The instructor needs to drive the students car. My first question: do you have enough money in your checking account to pay for my car? No? Then you can't drive.
If I remember correctly there was a situation where a CCA instructor damaged a students car. The CCA folks didn't think the instructor should pay for the damage. That's not cool.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #1364
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
Ha ha! That is the other thing! The instructor needs to drive the students car. My first question: do you have enough money in your checking account to pay for my car? No? Then you can't drive.
If I remember correctly there was a situation where a CCA instructor damaged a students car. The CCA folks didn't think the instructor should pay for the damage. That's not cool.
A few years ago, an instructor drove my car with me in the passenger seat, and he was really pushing the pace. He took an exit too wide and took out a cone on the passenger side at about 80mph. Came back in and my bumper was scuffed. And this is with a self-healing clear bra. I'm guessing it would have looked worse without the clear bra. I didn't know what to do or say about it. I did nothing.....but it was a bummer.
Appreciate 0