BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #1
Denny347
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Paint correction problem

I'm pretty sure the hood has been repainted at some point in it's past. Under opaque lighting, the car has very clear and distinct reflection lines (like a mirror) on other panels EXCEPT the hood. The hood does not look like orange peel but just dull, as seen in the upper reflection in the picture. Plenty of clear coat on the hood so is this something that careful wet sanding could correct?

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #2
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Take it to a professional to have the paint depth measured to ensure wet sanding is feasible. If there is not enough clear, you'll burn right through it.
Appreciate 2
chocstraw495.50
Ngilbe361618.50
      12-13-2019, 11:27 PM   #3
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Wet sand is way too aggressive and you need a true professional to complete it.

A good compound/polish will turn that around no problem. Even a one step with proper da could do wonders.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 11:34 PM   #4
Denny347
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Wet sand is way too aggressive and you need a true professional to complete it.

A good compound/polish will turn that around no problem. Even a one step with proper da could do wonders.
THAT I can do. I have a Porter Cable DA that works great with my Wolfgang Swirl remover. Time for something more aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 08:23 PM   #5
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny347 View Post
I'm pretty sure the hood has been repainted at some point in it's past. Under opaque lighting, the car has very clear and distinct reflection lines (like a mirror) on other panels EXCEPT the hood. The hood does not look like orange peel but just dull, as seen in the upper reflection in the picture. Plenty of clear coat on the hood so is this something that careful wet sanding could correct?

Since you are guessing about the paint history that means there was at least one owner prior to you. Perhaps a previous owner put paint protection film on the hood, and its now degraded to the point where you can see a problem? Go take a look around the underside of the edges, and also around the hood badge. You'll be able to tell there.

The reason I mention this is that my car arrived from the original owner with 3M Invisiguard or similar stuff, and at 7-8 years of age it has degraded to the point where it still looks shiny but it has a matte feel to it. It becomes more apparent every time I wash the car, probably due to the harder water here.

I'm really not looking forward to steaming and peeling all this stuff off. Really, really not.

Bonus points: props for backing in to your garage, like a boss.
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 1
Denny347346.50
      01-07-2020, 08:50 PM   #6
Denny347
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiheit View Post
Since you are guessing about the paint history that means there was at least one owner prior to you. Perhaps a previous owner put paint protection film on the hood, and its now degraded to the point where you can see a problem? Go take a look around the underside of the edges, and also around the hood badge. You'll be able to tell there.

The reason I mention this is that my car arrived from the original owner with 3M Invisiguard or similar stuff, and at 7-8 years of age it has degraded to the point where it still looks shiny but it has a matte feel to it. It becomes more apparent every time I wash the car, probably due to the harder water here.

I'm really not looking forward to steaming and peeling all this stuff off. Really, really not.

Interesting, I will check that. I back into EVERY spot, have done so for the last 30 years. I've gotten very good at it. Thanks for noticing. BTW, I'm the 6th owner I believe.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 09:36 PM   #7
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, I will check that. I back into EVERY spot, have done so for the last 30 years. I've gotten very good at it. Thanks for noticing. BTW, I'm the 6th owner I believe.

If the car has been through 5 previous owners, then I'd be surprised if the hood was even the original one that came with the car. Thats E36 level previous ownership!

j/k... j/k....
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 11:57 PM   #8
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:

yeah but the paints going to look great under it
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
Denny347
Major
Rep

Quote:

If the car has been through 5 previous owners, then I'd be surprised if the hood was even the original one that came with the car. Thats E36 level previous ownership!

j/k... j/k....
Haha, yeah, 5 owners and only 58k miles. One of the owners was in the military and had it shipped from the States to Italy for a year then back. I found this in the door jamb. Interesting.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:21 AM   #10
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

For some reason all e9x cars i have seen that live outside have fucked paint on the hood specifically. I think its just due to it being a large flat horizontal surface area, combine that with the heat coming from underneath, and the paint is toast. My e90m3 paint is IMMACULATE everywhere except the hood. I am constantly working on the hood to keep it nice, and my car lived its whole life garaged.
      01-10-2020, 07:04 AM   #11
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
yeah but the paints going to look great under it
True. It'll be the first time the paint has tasted fresh air since 2011, I'm betting.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 07:08 AM   #12
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Haha, yeah, 5 owners and only 58k miles. One of the owners was in the military and had it shipped from the States to Italy for a year then back. I found this in the door jamb. Interesting.

Very cool bit of personal history for the car!

How old is that photo? That rubber edge protector is looking a bit sketchy. Mine are starting to go as well, very slightly but I can still tell.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 10:47 AM   #13
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
For some reason all e9x cars i have seen that live outside have fucked paint on the hood specifically. I think its just due to it being a large flat horizontal surface area, combine that with the heat coming from underneath, and the paint is toast. My e90m3 paint is IMMACULATE everywhere except the hood. I am constantly working on the hood to keep it nice, and my car lived its whole life garaged.
Yeah there is something up with the paint on the hood of mine. I can't figure it out. Even feels strange. I'm like the 4th owner so who knows. I tried washing with dawn soap to strip off anything weird on it.

I need to have a professional paint correct it and do a coating, but I'm debating if I want to spend the money to have the bumper painted and the reflectors shaved down so it's like a euro bumper. I suppose I could always do that later.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 07:52 PM   #14
Denny347
Major
Rep

Quote:
Very cool bit of personal history for the car!

How old is that photo? That rubber edge protector is looking a bit sketchy. Mine are starting to go as well, very slightly but I can still tell.
A month. Yeah, it could used refreshed. Sad thing that new rubber is smooth and not the same texture as the original.
Appreciate 0