BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

10-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
DrivingPassion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235xi

Tesla S - any chance?

I am current owner of a loaded 335i. After looking at the advertised features of the Tesla Model S, it is becoming attractive to me.

For those of you who have actually test-driven the Tesla or own it, what do you think is the handling like compared to the 3-series? I know it's a very heavy car (heavier than a Honda Pilot SUV) but are the suspension magic working for you? They also claimed 50-50 weight distribution.

Last edited by DrivingPassion; 10-29-2013 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

All I know is that here in Canada it costs as much as an Audi R8 or Corvette ZR1. And that's all I need to know to turn around, walk away, and never look back.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
It's not for a driving enthusiast. 0-60 in 4.X seconds who cares. That's weak compared to the new offerings from Merc, BMW and Audi. And how many end up at the track?

It's for soccer moms that want something different and guys that were tricked into thinking it's fast.

I just made a killing shorting the stock lately. Now I'm covered/done. lol
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep

How many soccer moms have $130k to drop on a car though? I like the Model S, and the futuristic stying and interior. But I just can't get over the ridiculous asking price. What's wrong with a Volt or a Leaf instead? I think the Model S is geared towards the Hollywood types of rich, hip people who wanna look cool while driving around and also give the image that they are all "green" and environmentally friendly (even though they have a larger carbon footprint than a small country).

I think the high sales are just due to the hype of that car being the next "cool" thing and the latest fanciest thing on the market, and the craze will eventually die down and sales will plummet. I just don't see a very big market for an electric car that costs 3 times the average annual income of the car-buying public.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedaddictM3 View Post
How many soccer moms have $130k to drop on a car though? I like the Model S, and the futuristic stying and interior. But I just can't get over the ridiculous asking price. What's wrong with a Volt or a Leaf instead? I think the Model S is geared towards the Hollywood types of rich, hip people who wanna look cool while driving around and also give the image that they are all "green" and environmentally friendly (even though they have a larger carbon footprint than a small country).

I think the high sales are just due to the hype of that car being the next "cool" thing and the latest fanciest thing on the market, and the craze will eventually die down and sales will plummet. I just don't see a very big market for an electric car that costs 3 times the average annual income of the car-buying public.
I live in South Orange County and the cars people drive here are rediculous. The Tesla is the new soccer mom car.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

As said above, the car is out of reach for those really trying to make a difference.
Beverly Hills Von Dutch version of electric cars.

Btw. Those idiotic Von Dutch hats were ugly.
Sheep...baaaaa .
No style, just followers.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Tons of them here in Bay Area. But then again, they are made here lol.

They look great, and I think there's a fairly good financing/leasing deal going on those right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

If you don't drive a lot you can get base 60kW model for $70K+. Don't have spend $130k like everyone complaints. I heard they drive amazing due to the low center of gravity - super heavy battery pack like 10" from the ground, plus that instant electric torque...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

Quote:
What's wrong with a Volt or a Leaf instead?
I drive a Volt, and there isn't anything wrong with it. It's a fantastic car. I love 'filling up' every time I get home. It costs me ~56 cents per day to drive ~35 miles roundtrip (7 cents per KWh here).

I have also had the opportunity to drive the Tesla S Performance. What a car!

There isn't much comparison between the Volt and Tesla S, other than they're both Electric. Comparing the two and asking why someone would take one over the other is like comparing an Accord to an M5. They're different vehicles with different targets. Both are comfortable passenger cars, but one puts around, and the other is a rocket. A sub-5 second 0-60 in a big passenger car is pretty damn quick. The Tesla puts down near CTS-V 0-60 times. Anyone see the video where it pulls from a dig and a roll on the Aston Martin 4-door?

It handles incredibly well for it's size, though I am no track junkie so take that for what it's worth.

The interior is great too. It may lack some of the materials of a 100k Mercedes, but the infotainment center is far superior than anything I've encountered. It's a 17" screen that controls EVERYTHING.

Find a showroom and check one out. Anyone who is looking at the Leaf or Volt, and then comparing it to the Tesla S isn't seeing anything past the electric motor similarities. An Accord and an M5 both have ICE powertrains, both seat 4+ adults, etc, but are they really that similar? Not in my opinion, and neither is the Leaf/Volt and the Tesla S.

And again, I love my Volt.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
As said above, the car is out of reach for those really trying to make a difference.
Beverly Hills Von Dutch version of electric cars.

Btw. Those idiotic Von Dutch hats were ugly.
Sheep...baaaaa .
No style, just followers.
Not sure it's any more out of reach than a well-equipped Mercedes sedan of equal size.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
I live in South Orange County and the cars people drive here are rediculous. The Tesla is the new soccer mom car.
I live in LA and M3's are Teen starter cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
Not sure it's any more out of reach than a well-equipped Mercedes sedan of equal size.
I did not intend to knock the Tesla. The demographic that can shell out 100-130 on a vehicle has tons of choices and it is their choice.
It just rubs me funny that an expensive E is the "it" car to be cool in.
I say "be cool" very loosely.
Thinking they are doing something all positive and what not.
Go help out at an animal shelter or feed the hungry agency.
That makes me feel good...but not cool.

Just not a fad kind of guy I suppose.

Last edited by gonzo; 10-29-2013 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I did not intend to knock the Tesla. The demographic that can shell out 100-130 on a vehicle has tons of choices and it is their choice.
It just rubs me funny that an expensive E is the "it" car to be cool in.
I say "be cool" very loosely.
Thinking they are doing something all positive and what not.
Go help out at an animal shelter or feed the hungry agency.
That makes me feel good...but not cool.

Just not a fad kind of guy I suppose.

It's just so damn hilarious seeing the well heeled gazillionaires driving those electric cars feeling good about themselves and thinking they solved global warming and saved the environment. And then they hop onto their fuel-guzzling private jet and fly half way across the planet to party in Monaco and sail around in fuel-guzzling luxury yachts and attend late night cocktail parties that consume more electricity than a small city in Africa. And then go home to sleep in an enormous mansion with heated climate controlled AC, heated showers, heated swimming pools, et. The irony seems to be lost on them

But hey, if they feel less guilty by trading in their Range Rover or Rolls Royce Phantom for a Model S, more power to them I guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
I drive a Volt, and there isn't anything wrong with it. It's a fantastic car. I love 'filling up' every time I get home. It costs me ~56 cents per day to drive ~35 miles roundtrip (7 cents per KWh here).

I have also had the opportunity to drive the Tesla S Performance. What a car!

There isn't much comparison between the Volt and Tesla S, other than they're both Electric. Comparing the two and asking why someone would take one over the other is like comparing an Accord to an M5. They're different vehicles with different targets. Both are comfortable passenger cars, but one puts around, and the other is a rocket. A sub-5 second 0-60 in a big passenger car is pretty damn quick. The Tesla puts down near CTS-V 0-60 times. Anyone see the video where it pulls from a dig and a roll on the Aston Martin 4-door?

It handles incredibly well for it's size, though I am no track junkie so take that for what it's worth.

The interior is great too. It may lack some of the materials of a 100k Mercedes, but the infotainment center is far superior than anything I've encountered. It's a 17" screen that controls EVERYTHING.

Find a showroom and check one out. Anyone who is looking at the Leaf or Volt, and then comparing it to the Tesla S isn't seeing anything past the electric motor similarities. An Accord and an M5 both have ICE powertrains, both seat 4+ adults, etc, but are they really that similar? Not in my opinion, and neither is the Leaf/Volt and the Tesla S.

And again, I love my Volt.
You make very good points. But you missed the gist of my argument. I was thinking about it more from a logical and economic sense. I guess some people drive electric cars to protect the environment (never mind all the not so environmentally friendly toxic heavy metals that have to be used to make those huge batteries). But another big reason people drive electric cars is to save money and cut down on their fuel bills. Yes a Volt or Leaf aren't exactly very cheap, but with generous government subsidies and tax breaks, in addition to the savings in fuel costs they end up cheaper than an equivalent gasoline-powered car. But the Tesla Model S just doesn't make any sense to me in terms of logic and economics.

I guess I'm just trying to understand the rationale and the target market for a $130000 electric car. What's wrong with an M5, E63 AMG, or Panamera? All of these are rather good family cars that are still cheaper than the Model S. And they handle better too. Or are millionaires' consciences so troubled by driving a gas guzzling Merc or Porsche?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #15
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I guess I'm just trying to understand the rationale and the target market for a $130000 electric car. What's wrong with an M5, E63 AMG, or Panamera? All of these are rather good family cars that are still cheaper than the Model S. And they handle better too. Or are millionaires' consciences so troubled by driving a gas guzzling Merc or Porsche?
Yes but even being cheaper, none of those cars really make any economic sense either. And 130k is really pushing it for the Telsa S. You can get into the top model less. If you're going just for electric AND efficiency then yeah, a Leaf or Volt would be better. At 100k you're generally the type shopping for an M5+ anyways. The efficiency of the Tesla is the icing on the cake. The fact that it's a big luxury car that hauls balls is the selling point. Consider for a second if the Tesla wasn't an electric car. For its performance and features would it really be priced THAT far out from where it's at now? Not really . . .
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
Brandon C
Future is Electric
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smart ED

greatest car ever made

took a test ride in one and it was amazing.... it was only the 60kw and it was incredibly quick

my heart always starts beating fast whenever i see one

you can configure a 60kw with the main options, tech package, air suspension, and other personal preferences like upgraded rims and pano room for around 80k

if you aren't in the market for that then i highly recommend getting a volt, but do not get a leaf lol

and how is anybody against tesla? i dont get it, how can you dislike it? Elon is the greatest man alive and the model is the greatest car ever made, every single model s owner paves the way for a cheaper tesla in the near future, these complaints are pretty funny

never be biased just because you like bmw's, i love bmw's and hundreds of other cars but im not biased towards other competitor cars, there is no car on the market like the model s, how could anyone not like it you would think every person would be in love with it (which is majority of people)

if you want to talk about negative stuff then lets talk about the super low electric range in the i8, and for the price it is? you can get a fully loaded model s for 20k less if your gonna spend that type of money

Last edited by Brandon C; 10-29-2013 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #17
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Can't agree more, Tesla S is a marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
greatest car ever made

took a test ride in one and it was amazing.... it was only the 60kw and it was incredibly quick

you can configure a 60kw with the main options, tech package, air suspension, and other personal preferences like upgraded rims and pano room for around 80k

if you aren't in the market for that then i highly recommend getting a volt, but do not get a leaf lol

and how is anybody against tesla? i dont get it, how can you dislike it? Elon is the greatest man alive and the model is the greatest car ever made, every single model s owner paves the way for a cheaper tesla in the near future, these complaints are pretty funny

never be biased just because you like bmw's, i love bmw's and hundreds of other cars but im not biased towards other competitor cars, there is no car on the market like the model s, how could anyone not like it you would think every person would be in love with it (which is majority of people)

if you want to talk about negative stuff then lets talk about the super low electric range in the i8, and for the price it is? you can get a fully loaded model s for 20k less if your gonna spend that type of money
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #18
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

I am confused are you buying Tesla S for fuel economy, and fast acceleration or are you looking for a great performance sedan.

Because if you are looking for a great well rounded performance sedan then Tesla S is the wrong car. For that type of price you should be looking at CTS-V, M5, E class AMG, or S6.

Now if you are looking for fuel economy, and fast acceleration then Tesla is a a very nice car. Just dont expect it to handle real well or at least on par with like of M5's, E AMG, CTS-V, and S6. The regenerative brakes makes the pedal non linear and wooden. The EPS in electric car tends to be even worse and more numb in general, and the car is designed with green in mind not performance. You want to buy a performance sedan buy an M5 right now some 2013 model are selling for 10K-12K discount.

I have a Optima hybrid at home that gets 36 mpg in Houston traffic and has unlimited range. No need to go insane looking for a plug and driving from plug to plug with range anxiety. It also looks stylish has plenty of room in back seats for 3. It has half the speed of Tesla S for 1/3 - 1/6 th the price of Tesla S depending which model of Tesla are you going for. The Optima hybrid comes with 10 year/100K warranty and cheap maintenance compared to BMW. The material fit and finish is very decent for the price and plenty of standard features.

The Optima hybrid is no performance machine nor a what we call a drivers car. Then again that is not its purpose or design. For that I have a tuned E92.

Anyways just my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingPassion View Post
I am current owner of a loaded 335i. After looking at the advertised features of the Tesla Model S, it is becoming attractive to me.

For those of you who have actually test-driven the Tesla or own it, what do you think is the handling like compared to the 3-series? I know it's a very heavy car (heavier than a Honda Pilot SUV) but are the suspension magic working for you? They also claimed 50-50 weight distribution.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 10-29-2013 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #19
Mr. Liu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 '14 E63 '05 E55K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
greatest car ever made

lol someone's butthurt over a lil debate
      10-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #20
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
I am confused are you buying Tesla S for fuel economy, and fast acceleration or are you looking for a great performance sedan.

Because if you are looking for a great well rounded performance sedan then Tesla S is the wrong car. For that type of price you should be looking at CTS-V, M5, E class AMG, or S6.

Now if you are looking for fuel economy, and fast acceleration then Tesla is a a very nice car. Just dont expect it to handle real well or at least on par with like of M5's, E AMG, CTS-V, and S6. The regenerative brakes makes the pedal non linear and wooden. The EPS in electric car tends to be even worse and more numb in general, and the car is designed with green in mind not performance. You want to buy a performance sedan buy an M5 right now some 2013 model are selling for 10K-12K discount.

I have a Optima hybrid at home that gets 36 mpg in Houston traffic and has unlimited range. No need to go insane looking for a plug and driving from plug to plug with range anxiety. It also looks stylish has plenty of room in back seats for 3. It has half the speed of Tesla S for 1/3 - 1/6 th the price of Tesla S depending which model of Tesla are you going for. The Optima hybrid comes with 10 year/100K warranty and cheap maintenance compared to BMW. The material fit and finish is very decent for the price and plenty of standard features.

The Optima hybrid is no performance machine nor a what we call a drivers car. Then again that is not its purpose or design. For that I have a tuned E92.

Anyways just my 2 cents
I'd like to see one around a track with its magnetic suspension and low center of gravity. May not handle as well as an M5, but man, it sure accelerates like one . . .

This why I disagree about the Tesla S NOT being a performance sedan. I believe it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 11:57 PM   #21
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Brilliant car. If they made a Model S coupe the size of a 4 or 6-Series, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

LOL at the moronic posts above.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 03:14 AM   #22
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
Can't agree more, Tesla S is a marvel
Nice. Few more pics?

Did not mean to rag on people in general that are buying these.
Still a free country...for now.
I just pictured that Ashton fella in one with a cap on sideways.
Appreciate 0