BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM
View Poll Results: MDCT OWNERS ONLY!!! Do you regret getting MDCT? (your name will be shown)
No, I love the MDCT. If had a second chance, I'll still get it. 117 73.58%
Yes, getting the MDCT was a mistake. I'd go for a 6MT next time. 42 26.42%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

08-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #45
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by synclastica_86 View Post
The decision for me to get the M3 was simple. It was in the right price range given its capability. The high reving engne sealed the deal. I've been reading comments on both transmissions and it seems like opinions are half-half.

Okay, so here's the thing. I really want to hear from the MDCT owners out there. How's life with paddle shifters? If you were given a second chance, will you change your mind and go for 6MT?

I've still got some time to decide. Help me out, THANX!
yes it is a mistake. u buy a car like this u better have a 120% full joy from driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #46
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3

I just drove a 6MT and I can't imagine having to deal with MDCT.. I NEED a clutch pedal. I love to show off with my heel toe abilities.. not to mention it just plain feels good to shift. Assuming that a large majority of M3 drivers are posers (be gentle) I can see the attraction of MDCT. Ask a Viper or Lotus driver if they would like a DCT.. I bet it's a resounding NO!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #47
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnerable View Post
I just drove a 6MT and I can't imagine having to deal with MDCT.. I NEED a clutch pedal. I love to show off with my heel toe abilities.. not to mention it just plain feels good to shift. Assuming that a large majority of M3 drivers are posers (be gentle) I can see the attraction of MDCT. Ask a Viper or Lotus driver if they would like a DCT.. I bet it's a resounding NO!
I'll step in here and say that most DCT owners, at least those on this forum, are not poseurs. The DCT is simply faster no matter how you slice it. If you're looking for the best performance you can get and don't mind a little added risk from the newer and more complicated technology, definitely get the DCT.

That said, I agree with you and others regarding the need for the added involvement and connection offered by a true manual. I'll give up a couple of tenths of a second for that feeling, which is why I have a 6MT on order.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #48
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Good way to start off on the forums. This coming from someone who drives a Nissan Rogue that has CVT and also has paddleshifters I quite honestly don't know what to say except that you don't know what you are talking about and haven't driven a DCT. DCT makes this car if you want to have the full effect and 6MT is good if you are an old school driver. When I placed my order I drove the 6MT, it was okay but after I got a chance to drive the DCT my heart was set on DCT.

By the way, the real posers are the ones who are insecure enough to tell everyone else what they bought was "wrong".
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #49
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
i already like this dude!!!! we can be friends

it is true the majority of DCT drivers or M3 drivers are posers. not talking about the majority of people on the forums, coz those are more involved and definitely are more of enthusiasts.
seriously most people who buy M3's (ima exclude people on forums, and real enthusaists, and swamp ) buy it coz it's the most expensive 3 series, it's the newest car, the newest technology, or the "fact" that its "auto" (they way they think anyway)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #50
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post

That said, I agree with you and others regarding the need for the added involvement and connection offered by a true manual. I'll give up a couple of tenths of a second for that feeling, which is why I have a 6MT on order.
Well, I was all committed to M-DCT but now not so sure. I realize that the forum sample is skewed by those who have had issue (per Swamp's remarks).

I finally got on to a CA last weekend and am resolved to drive both systems to make up my mind.... I'm also starting to think, hey, maybe I will enjoy the connectedness over the desire to have the latest tech.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #51
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
Good way to start off on the forums.
Come on now.. I'm not one to say things in a forum just to create a stir.. I'm just bringing light to a possibility. I am a previous M3 owner.. e46. To be fair, M3 owners are the least "poser" of all BMW owners.. but lets call a spade a spade here.. A lot of BMW owners tend to seem kinda posey.. M3 owners too. Some in my own family in fact! That comes with the territory dealing with all high end European imports. Doesn't bother me any.. BMW is my second favorite car manufacture under Ferrari. I'm not trying to get under anyones skin.. if I offended anyone I apologize.. it's only my opinion. I love this board!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #52
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
Already perfected heel toe, time to move on.
This is exactly how I feel about manual vs. DCT! Getting my car this coming Saturday and can't wait!

BC
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #53
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
It's not the tapping of the paddles, it's the speed of the shifts and the technology behind it that thrill me. Have you driven a DCT M3 yet?
No, I haven't driven a DCT M3 yet, although Skierman64 has graciously invited me to drive his. I agree that the technology is fascinating, but the speed of the shifting isn't very important to me unless I'm on a track, which I probably won't be.
      08-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #54
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeM3 View Post
The DCT may shift smoother than the 6MT, but I really enjoy the connectivity I feel between the M3 and the manual transmission. Just my $0.02.
+1, I completely agree with this statement. I will admit that if I do track my car a lot I would've gone with the DCT but the thing is I dont and its my daily driver.
      08-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #55
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryC View Post
This is exactly how I feel about manual vs. DCT! Getting my car this coming Saturday and can't wait!

BC
PS - if manuals are superior then why aren't F1 cars traditional manual cars? I would think these guys can shift a manual car better than most!

BC
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #56
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Good way to start off on the forums. .
What are you the hall monitor?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #57
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Come on now.. I'm not one to say things in a forum just to create a stir.. I'm just bringing light to a possibility. I am a previous M3 owner.. e46. To be fair, M3 owners are the least "poser" of all BMW owners.. but lets call a spade a spade here.. A lot of BMW owners tend to seem kinda posey.. M3 owners too. Some in my own family in fact! That comes with the territory dealing with all high end European imports. Doesn't bother me any.. BMW is my second favorite car manufacture under Ferrari. I'm not trying to get under anyones skin.. if I offended anyone I apologize.. it's only my opinion. I love this board!
Buddy, don't sweat it, say your opinion and don't worry that some people act like emotional little girls.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #58
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
PS - if manuals are superior then why aren't F1 cars traditional manual cars? I would think these guys can shift a manual car better than most!

BC
F1!!? Those guys are entering corners at 150+MPH.. thousandths of a second matter.. technically a DCT can shift faster then a standard especially in F1.. and those guys need all the help they can get in regards to shaving time off laps.. As for me, I am not racing in F1.. I am out to enjoy driving in all it's purity. 6MT for me!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #59
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

BC
There are many reasons why F1 cars don't have manuals but a human being can not shift as quickly and as consistently having to row 7 seven gears with those motors. I can't imagine having to worry about a clutch pedal in addition to fighting for position at 200 mph.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #60
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Well, I was all committed to M-DCT but now not so sure. I realize that the forum sample is skewed by those who have had issue (per Swamp's remarks).

I finally got on to a CA last weekend and am resolved to drive both systems to make up my mind.... I'm also starting to think, hey, maybe I will enjoy the connectedness over the desire to have the latest tech.
I was all set on the DCT, too. Then I drove the 6MT,twice, and had too much fun rowing gears. Plus, there is virtually no risk that I will have to give up my new M3 for a week because I got some weird transmission warning message or it stalled on me in an intersection. I'll admit that I'm pretty old-fashioned for a younger person.

Definitely drive both and post your thoughts comparing the two.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #61
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
What are you the hall monitor?
Is your primary function in life to be a douchebag on the internet? Rhetorical question.

I'm sorry you don't know the difference between respectful and "emo". Grow up.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #62
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
There are posers on every forum, Ferrari, BMW, MB, etc. Some, not all, are in it for the badge, the rest of us are what you call enthusiasts. Picking a transmission type favorable to our needs and wants does not make us any less or more of a person compared to those who chose the other. Making blanket statements is bad forum etiquette.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #63
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is your primary function in life to be a douchebag on the internet? Rhetorical question.

I'm sorry you don't know the difference between respectful and "emo". Grow up.

Here is a link to what hypocrite means: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrite
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #64
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Looks like our new member has a case of the

Go find another forum to troll on because you won't be tolerated here much longer.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #65
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Go find another forum to troll on because you won't be tolerated here much longer.
New member? Reading comprehension seems to be an issue. January is the first month of the year, as in 1. April comes later, as in the 4th month. I hope you are better with math.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #66
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I hope thats not directed toward me.
Appreciate 0