BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

10-22-2022, 10:45 AM   #1
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

Heads up. Just because you code 60_agm doesn't mean CAS will accept it.

Recently I switched from running the GTS tune from a while back to a lower ZB number ending in 69 with the hope of getting Auto Start Stop back. To my surprise the software version of the EURO DCT flash as it's called is actually higher in INPA than the GTS tune I had installed in 2016/2017.

Anyway, fast forward a few days and it turns out the ASS feature isn't working. I fire up ISTA+, go to Service Jobs, Power Train, Engine, Auto Start Stop and sure enough instead of saying Transmission not ready it keeps complaining about the battery.

A few months earlier I had installed an AntiGravity 60AH Lithium battery. The stock one on the car was 90AH AGM. At the time I had used BimmerLink to code it to 60AH AGM and thought it was working.

Well it turns out that if you set it to 60AH AGM bimmercode, and ncexpert will tell you that it's treating it like an AGM battery but it is not. It may be because my CAS module software is out of date but as soon as you go to the ASS section in ISTA+ it will give you a warning that you need to have an AGM battery installed. It will also tell you that you're running an 86ah battery, which I'm not.

If you then code CAS from 60_agm to 70_agm this warning will go away.
However, every time you use the "register new battery" function (which is separate from coding different AH, they go hand in hand, but they're separate) the IBS system needs 1 - 7 hours of standby time to learn sleeping current draw. So auto-start-stop won't work.

At this point I was worried that 70_agm wouldn't allow the feature to work because it thought the ah were too low. So I didn't re-register the battery but I did code CAS from 70_agm to 90_agm and check with BimmerLink the battery state of charge. After doing this the state of charge according to BimmerLink went from 99% to 82%.

So I hooked up a battery tender for LifePo batteries and left the car alone for 2 hours. When I came back the charger said full, and BimmerLink reported full battery as well.

I went for a short drive and the Auto Start Stop kicked in.

Long story short, 60_agm isn't treated as an AGM battery by my E92 M3 and ISTA+ tells you so. 70_agm is, 90_agm is.

What the implications are for other systems in the car, I don't know but my idle was definitely very high. It would request 650rpm at idle, then battery voltage would drop, and then it would go to 800rpm.

I will update the CAS module and try to use 60_agm coding again, but for now it is set to 90_agm and everything appears to work as it should.

Sorry for the long boring rant, but I hope it helps someone.

EDIT: All modules in the car are up to date according to INPA/WinKFP except CAS. Car I-Level is 2015 so CAS SW can't be much older than that.

Last edited by The-Traveler; 10-22-2022 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
kolosy1493.00