BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

Mporium BMW

12-15-2020, 10:52 PM   #23
NQRDDS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Took my car to Malek and had the car back the same day. He took the time to answer all my questions and provided his recommendations and opinions. Also brought aftermarket motor mounts and he installed those on as well. A few weeks later, made the drive down again for him to install a slon with the dct service. Super happy with his transparency and work. I wouldn't hesitate to make the drive again for any additional work.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2020, 11:06 PM   #24
bmw>benz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 z4 35is

I drove my car down from SF Bay Area to get BE bearings and arp studs installed at SSR. Smooth and easy transaction. 1 day turn around. Spent a weekend in LA and drove the car back up. Put about 7k miles on since and I have zero complaints. Staff was very responsive and professional every step of the way.

I'm the kind of guy that does all this sort of work myself so it's very hard for me to be happy with any outside work on my cars.

Previous: 2000 e39 m5, 2005 e46 m3, 2003 325i
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2020, 01:59 AM   #25
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

I had my MaxPSI Crank Hub installed at SSR Performance on my F80. On the drive home, I noticed a very strong oil-burning odor, I just disregarded it since I figured it's normal since half of my engine was apart anyway and it's probably oil residue burning off. The smell never went away...

A couple of weeks later, I get a low oil warning light (my F80 never consumed any oil before and never leaked a drop). I put my car up on the lift, dropped the skid plate, and the whole bottom of the engine was soaked.

I immediately called up SSR Performance and they scheduled me an appointment for 2 weeks later.

I topped the oil off in the meantime and didn't drive the car. 2 weeks later I had booked a rental car near them, was planning to drop off the car to them so they can figure it out, then Uber over to Hertz and drive home in my rental. I live over 2 hours away btw.

Came in on my appointment date, they jacked up my car, dropped the skid plate, and cleaned off all the oil with brake cleaner. They told me they don't know where it's coming from, so just come back in 2 weeks and they'll have another look. Did I wait for a 2-week appointment for this? So here I am, completely frustrated, had to take the 2-hour trek home, with my F80 still leaking oil.

The next day, I told them I needed my car and if it's okay if I just take it to BMW for them to diagnose the problem since they seem busy and the logistics of getting my car there and finding a ride home was just too complicated. They said that's fine. So I took it to my local BMW dealership, they found out when SSR installed my MaxPSI crank hub, they didn't seat my front main seal correctly and it was leaking oil from there. BMW dealership put in a new front main seal and billed my warranty. The bill was over $1800 but my deductible was only $150 since I had a 3rd party extended warranty. My BMW dealership hooked it up.

I called SSR and told them about the error during their installation, but the good news is BMW covered it and all is good now. Now I asked politely if they would reimburse me $150 for my deductible. Guess what they said? NO.

I couldn't believe it. I think any company would be thrilled that I save them all the trouble, plus labor to take apart my car to fix their screw up, and it would only cost them $150. They said they can give me $150 credit towards an oil change or other service. What a way to treat a customer after just dropping 4 grand on an "incomplete" upgrade.

I had plans to drop off my E92 there to get my rod bearings done as well but after that experience, I went straight to Malek@MRF and never looked back. They lost a customer for life.
Appreciate 13
roastbeef11586.00
slcook541863.00
akkando5864.50
derbo3610.00
Parth317248.50
NQRDDS53.50
brettcp348.00
jeremyuhh464.50
      12-16-2020, 03:55 AM   #26
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25 X3

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
in bay area, there is the legendary Ray who does amazing job with bearings.

then I also have heard performance dynamics are good too. I think their mechanic is ex Carbahn?(Dinan)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 04:08 AM   #27
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMpower View Post
I had my MaxPSI Crank Hub installed at SSR Performance on my F80. On the drive home, I noticed a very strong oil-burning odor, I just disregarded it since I figured it's normal since half of my engine was apart anyway and it's probably oil residue burning off. The smell never went away...

A couple of weeks later, I get a low oil warning light (my F80 never consumed any oil before and never leaked a drop). I put my car up on the lift, dropped the skid plate, and the whole bottom of the engine was soaked.

I immediately called up SSR Performance and they scheduled me an appointment for 2 weeks later.

I topped the oil off in the meantime and didn't drive the car. 2 weeks later I had booked a rental car near them, was planning to drop off the car to them so they can figure it out, then Uber over to Hertz and drive home in my rental. I live over 2 hours away btw.

Came in on my appointment date, they jacked up my car, dropped the skid plate, and cleaned off all the oil with brake cleaner. They told me they don't know where it's coming from, so just come back in 2 weeks and they'll have another look. Did I wait for a 2-week appointment for this? So here I am, completely frustrated, had to take the 2-hour trek home, with my F80 still leaking oil.

The next day, I told them I needed my car and if it's okay if I just take it to BMW for them to diagnose the problem since they seem busy and the logistics of getting my car there and finding a ride home was just too complicated. They said that's fine. So I took it to my local BMW dealership, they found out when SSR installed my MaxPSI crank hub, they didn't seat my front main seal correctly and it was leaking oil from there. BMW dealership put in a new front main seal and billed my warranty. The bill was over $1800 but my deductible was only $150 since I had a 3rd party extended warranty. My BMW dealership hooked it up.

I called SSR and told them about the error during their installation, but the good news is BMW covered it and all is good now. Now I asked politely if they would reimburse me $150 for my deductible. Guess what they said? NO.

I couldn't believe it. I think any company would be thrilled that I save them all the trouble, plus labor to take apart my car to fix their screw up, and it would only cost them $150. They said they can give me $150 credit towards an oil change or other service. What a way to treat a customer after just dropping 4 grand on an "incomplete" upgrade.

I had plans to drop off my E92 there to get my rod bearings done as well but after that experience, I went straight to Malek@MRF and never looked back. They lost a customer for life.
Wow! Thank you for sharing that. Flabbergasting. Lost two customers.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 08:32 AM   #28
NeverL8
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:

This would never happened at Malek’s shop. I’m glad you’re going with him
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #29
RebL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

performance dynamics in santa clara if doing locally otherwise +1 for mrf
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #30
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Tell 'em Beef sent ya.
      12-16-2020, 02:48 PM   #31
christoepurrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:

SMH
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 12:14 AM   #32
Manettino
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

As you've probably heard from many other people on the forum, I cannot say enough good things about Malek. I work in the Bay, but my parents live in OC so I just drop my car off every single time I visit to get work done on it.. You will never regret it. He's the e92 wizard.
Appreciate 2
slcook541863.00
      12-17-2020, 01:07 AM   #33
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manettino View Post
As you've probably heard from many other people on the forum, I cannot say enough good things about Malek. I work in the Bay, but my parents live in OC so I just drop my car off every single time I visit to get work done on it.. You will never regret it. He's the e92 wizard.
That's how I think about it too. Need to visit friends in LA, well, might as well get subframe bushings done.
      12-17-2020, 02:30 AM   #34
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

One of these shops had major issues with my friend's car. Fried all his computers because a ground wasn't tightened. That was 5 figures to fix at the Dealer once they finally found the issue weeks later.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 03:08 AM   #35
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
One of these shops had major issues with my friend's car. Fried all his computers because a ground wasn't tightened. That was 5 figures to fix at the Dealer once they finally found the issue weeks later.

Which shop was that? Did the shop cover any of the dealer expenses?
Appreciate 1
aus891.50
      12-17-2020, 05:36 AM   #36
FrozenE92M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen White Edition E92 M3

Yeah... I'd never go with Malek but to each their own, glad your cars aren't mine. Yikes.
Appreciate 1
911r891.00
      12-17-2020, 09:49 AM   #37
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenE92M3 View Post
Yeah... I'd never go with Malek but to each their own, glad your cars aren't mine. Yikes.
You're the first person I've ever heard say that. Tell the story.
      12-17-2020, 11:12 AM   #38
NeverL8
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I’ve never heard a single bad review about Malek’s work. My guess is:

He’s either friends with people who work/own SSR or likes cheap shops.

You get what you pay for...remember that
Appreciate 1
slcook541863.00
      12-17-2020, 02:55 PM   #39
FrozenE92M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen White Edition E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussski View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I've never heard a single bad review about Malek's work. My guess is:

He's either friends with people who work/own SSR or likes cheap shops.

You get what you pay for...remember that
SSR a cheap shop. Hahaha. Also I have no affiliation with them. You need to get your head checked if that's a cheap shop for you. But you can keep going to overpriced shops and pay money to hype, your problem ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 04:57 PM   #40
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

No need to get hostile, we're just asking to share your experience.
      12-17-2020, 05:19 PM   #41
dfwashere
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 Sedan 6Spd

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Deets? first person ive heard say this. asking for curiosity.
      12-17-2020, 05:57 PM   #42
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Service providers have it rough in the internet era. Even if they're really good and are 99% successful with no mis-diagnosing and mistakes, they'll service enough people over time to acquire a few really unhappy customers who'll take to the internet and let the world know. It's why I always take reviews with a grain of salt. I don't think DanMpower was being unreasonable with his request for reimbursement but I understand why they wouldn't pay it. They'd argue given another chance they would have remedied and warranted their screw up, giving $ back is accepting the liability for the screw up and might leave them liable for more damages. Where as a "I'm sorry you feel like you had a bad experience" credit can be billed as good Customer Service.
      12-17-2020, 07:18 PM   #43
NeverL8
Captain
Rep

Quote:
SSR a cheap shop. Hahaha. Also I have no affiliation with them. You need to get your head checked if that's a cheap shop for you. But you can keep going to overpriced shops and pay money to hype, your problem ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Correct....SSR prices are wayyyy cheaper than other more reputable/reliable shops.

Now please share your bad experience with Malek’s shop....

We wait...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 01:00 AM   #44
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
Which shop was that? Did the shop cover any of the dealer expenses?
It's NOT the shop in the title here.
He, as he a single person, did not cover any expenses. All the computers other than the ECU had to be replaced. Took the dealer weeks to figure out why they were going in and out and eventually get fried. They finally noticed the ground was loose after rod bearings. During that time, his car got some body damaged by the dealer too. Not a good experience from the mess caused by Malek. He was ready to sell it after spending more than $10k on it... but took it on a couple track days, and the M2c got sold instead.

My buddy also had issues with the same guy when he got camber plates that were sold as quiet but ended up being noisy and was told that can happen sometimes afterwards, so not sure why he went back to him. #internetreputation.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 12-19-2020 at 02:20 AM..
Appreciate 0