BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
BPM
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-01-2024, 11:30 AM   #1
Matt@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Matt@Evolve's Avatar
1954
Rep
515
Posts


Drives: F82 M4, E36 M3 Touring, Z3
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Luton, UK

iTrader: (0)

New Product - Evolve x Bilstein B6 Damptronic EDC Dampers



Introducing the Evolve x Bilstein B6 EDC Damptronic Damper for E9x M3!

We have developed these dampers in conjunction with Bilstein UK over a period of years. As good as the original Bilstein dampers were, we wanted to tailor them for use with lowering springs and MSS Height Adjustable Springs.

We worked with Bilstein to change the valving to make the Comfort setting even more compliant and the Sport + setting slightly stiffer giving more range of damping given by the electronic modes in the EDC equipped E90, E92 and E93 M3.

Not only that but a common complaint for all B6/B8 dampers is that they lift the front slightly. This wasn't something we wanted so with a lot of back and forth with Bilstein we have developed a slightly shorter damper body that solves this issue. (some lift may be evident when brand new comparing to a used damper due to the nature of how Bilstein uses a gas pressurised damper)

These are now in stock on the shelf ready to ship worldwide! - https://www.evolveautomotive.co.uk/p...v&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Product overview, install and driving impressions video:




Installed photos paired with MSS HAS kit, set to full low on the front











Independent video by M539 Restorations paired with standard springs



We can't wait to hear the feedback from customers and see installed photos with various spring and wheel setups!
Appreciate 2
Thumbie88.00
wyatth3545.50
      03-01-2024, 05:09 PM   #2
OmairK
Engineer
United_States
51
Rep
168
Posts

Drives: 1995 M3 - 2011 E90 M3 6M ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Hey guys… do you need bump stops? Streten said you didn’t…
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 05:16 PM   #3
Matt@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Matt@Evolve's Avatar
1954
Rep
515
Posts


Drives: F82 M4, E36 M3 Touring, Z3
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Luton, UK

iTrader: (0)

The Bilstein damper has an internal bump stop.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 11:01 AM   #4
OmairK
Engineer
United_States
51
Rep
168
Posts

Drives: 1995 M3 - 2011 E90 M3 6M ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Great! Thanks. Can you guys also give a complete parts list on the rear for the shock mounts?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 12:55 PM   #5
Racer-X
Private First Class
38
Rep
156
Posts

Drives: M3 Competition Package
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: McLean Va

iTrader: (0)

I’ve read in the comment section on your most recent YouTube post above - that one needs to reset the run time memory on the EDC system after installing the new dampers.

Truth?

Last edited by Racer-X; 03-02-2024 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 03:18 PM   #6
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Brandoch's Avatar
Canada
448
Rep
450
Posts

Drives: 2009 E93 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: BC Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer-X View Post
I’ve read in the comment section on your most recent YouTube post above - that one needs to reset the run time memory on the EDC system after installing the new dampers.

Truth?
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2006874
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 05:52 PM   #7
Racer-X
Private First Class
38
Rep
156
Posts

Drives: M3 Competition Package
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: McLean Va

iTrader: (0)

Thanks I guess - perhaps evolve can answer the back and forth of that thread.

And if the new shocks I got for evolve require a reset - what do I tell my dealership or speed shop or Me the shady tree mechanic to get this done.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoch View Post
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 06:08 PM   #8
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Brandoch's Avatar
Canada
448
Rep
450
Posts

Drives: 2009 E93 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: BC Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer-X View Post
Thanks I guess - perhaps evolve can answer the back and forth of that thread.

And if the new shocks I got for evolve require a reset - what do I tell my dealership or speed shop or Me the shady tree mechanic to get this done.
Did you read the document? It clearly states from BMW that a reset must be done after changing out the EDC shocks. This has nothing to do with evolve and everything to do with BMW
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 07:48 AM   #9
Racer-X
Private First Class
38
Rep
156
Posts

Drives: M3 Competition Package
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: McLean Va

iTrader: (0)

Yes I did - thanks for implying I didn’t. It has lots of back and forth and contradicting information at times. (I read it before posting and again if you must know Brandoch)
Did you read all of my post of two sentences? If you did, please answer me what I tell my dealership or speed shop after I do the work… or allow evolve too. The post you keep pointing to, never clears that up. Heck one person in that thread has a buddy that is a tech at BMW, who was unfamiliar with e92s needing this in the first place. What do you tell that tech?

Since evolve never addresses this in any of their videos over the years - Ill reask them the question. Perhaps they have a solution or a thought outside your pointing to threads.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoch View Post
Did you read the document? It clearly states from BMW that a reset must be done after changing out the EDC shocks. This has nothing to do with evolve and everything to do with BMW
Appreciate 1
DjMarkOne105.00
      03-03-2024, 09:13 AM   #10
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Brandoch's Avatar
Canada
448
Rep
450
Posts

Drives: 2009 E93 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: BC Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
"After a replacement, the running time memory for the front or rear axle must be reset with the BMW diagnostic equipment"

Directly from the BMW training manual
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 10:56 AM   #11
M3SQRD
Major General
M3SQRD's Avatar
2064
Rep
5,448
Posts

Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer-X View Post
Yes I did - thanks for implying I didn’t. It has lots of back and forth and contradicting information at times. (I read it before posting and again if you must know Brandoch)
Did you read all of my post of two sentences? If you did, please answer me what I tell my dealership or speed shop after I do the work… or allow evolve too. The post you keep pointing to, never clears that up. Heck one person in that thread has a buddy that is a tech at BMW, who was unfamiliar with e92s needing this in the first place. What do you tell that tech?

Since evolve never addresses this in any of their videos over the years - Ill reask them the question. Perhaps they have a solution or a thought outside your pointing to threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoch View Post
"After a replacement, the running time memory for the front or rear axle must be reset with the BMW diagnostic equipment"

Directly from the BMW training manual
I’m the one that asked my BMW tech friend. The disconnect was I repeatedly asked if coding was required when replacing edc dampers rather than just asking what’s required when replacing an edc damper. I rephrased my question and he said there is a test plan/procedure required when replacing edc dampers and/or edc control module.

So the above is correct - you need to make sure the edc damper running time reset procedure is executed on both the front and rear new edc dampers after they’ve been plugged into the car. If it is not done, your new Evolve/Bilstein dampers will have their damping force output biased higher based on the age of your old edc dampers.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 01:21 PM   #12
M3SQRD
Major General
M3SQRD's Avatar
2064
Rep
5,448
Posts

Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (11)

So to address the raised ride height with the B6 dampers, you lowered where the lower spring seat mounts on the damper, or shortened the length of the damper body (which does the same thing), relative to the knuckle mount on the damper? The only other viable option would be to reduce the internal pressure in the monotube B6 damper which I’d be surprised if Bilstein would allow that.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 08:36 AM   #13
Nairb1
New Member
68
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Can I mix and match Evolve with Bilstein B6?

I already have the Bilstein installed front and rear. I would just like to swap out
the Evolve front to lower the ride height.
__________________
2013 E92 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 01:21 PM   #14
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Thumbie's Avatar
88
Rep
236
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3/4/6
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

This seems like a really great product. Perfect for those wanting to retain EDC and go with an OEM+ damper.
__________________
-Thumbie

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 11:21 PM   #15
Ervin87
Captain
Ervin87's Avatar
United_States
558
Rep
615
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 | B5 S4 | E30
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA

iTrader: (5)

How do these compare (Evolve B6+MSS HAS) to Ohlin R&T Kit from a comfort perspective?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 11:34 PM   #16
M3SQRD
Major General
M3SQRD's Avatar
2064
Rep
5,448
Posts

Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb1 View Post
Can I mix and match Evolve with Bilstein B6?

I already have the Bilstein installed front and rear. I would just like to swap out
the Evolve front to lower the ride height.
The difference in front strut length is going to be pretty small. They adjust the length to account for the gas lifting force in monotube damper. Although, they’ve never quoted a number, it’s around a 1/4-1/3”. People with their f8x version, complained about the increase in ride height because Evolve recommends the MSS HAS kit which has a mild drop to begin width. Are you going to buy two new fronts for 1/4-1/3”? As for mixing, that really depends on how different the comfort and sport+ settings are compared to the regular B6. EDC is trying to minimize oscillations so if there’s a large difference in damping then it may not be wise to mix B6 versions, if it’s small then it’s likely not an issue.
Appreciate 1
Nairb167.50
      03-08-2024, 09:36 AM   #17
Matt@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Matt@Evolve's Avatar
1954
Rep
515
Posts


Drives: F82 M4, E36 M3 Touring, Z3
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Luton, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer-X View Post
I’ve read in the comment section on your most recent YouTube post above - that one needs to reset the run time memory on the EDC system after installing the new dampers.

Truth?
We've tested this a few times on various cars, tried blind testing with employees etc and can't say we've noticed much difference before/after the reset.

We always recommend following BMWs instructions and therefore recommend having the EDC system reset after installing our dampers. However if you do not have the tools to do this I don't think it's the end of the world to not have.

Obviously each car is different and your mileage may vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
So to address the raised ride height with the B6 dampers, you lowered where the lower spring seat mounts on the damper, or shortened the length of the damper body (which does the same thing), relative to the knuckle mount on the damper? The only other viable option would be to reduce the internal pressure in the monotube B6 damper which I’d be surprised if Bilstein would allow that.
As you can see in the video we shortened the damper body.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb1 View Post
Can I mix and match Evolve with Bilstein B6?

I already have the Bilstein installed front and rear. I would just like to swap out
the Evolve front to lower the ride height.
Due to the valving differences we would not recommend mix and matching the dampers with Bilsteins own variant. Currently we only sell the dampers as a package also (the only exception being after sales support such as accident damage meaning just one damper needs to be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin87 View Post
How do these compare (Evolve B6+MSS HAS) to Ohlin R&T Kit from a comfort perspective?
It's been a very long time since being in a car with the Ohlins R+T setup. I would say our combo is the same or more comfortable purely from the point of view that when driving I don't find myself thinking it's uncomfortable or that I want it softer.
Appreciate 3
DjMarkOne105.00
gnx756.00
      03-09-2024, 12:26 AM   #18
wyatth
Colonel
3546
Rep
2,823
Posts

Drives: E90 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Nice sounding product! Glad to see these finally on market.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2024, 06:06 PM   #19
Racer-X
Private First Class
38
Rep
156
Posts

Drives: M3 Competition Package
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: McLean Va

iTrader: (0)

Installed mine over the weekend - very pleased with how the car now rides and handles the twisty backroads.

From a ride height perspective. How many miles till the suspension settles in - a few hundred?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 07:56 AM   #20
Matt@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Matt@Evolve's Avatar
1954
Rep
515
Posts


Drives: F82 M4, E36 M3 Touring, Z3
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Luton, UK

iTrader: (0)

It depends on usage, but we measured the ride height fairly regularly and started to see a real difference around 400 miles, with it fully settled at roughly 1000 miles.

I’m sure to a degree time also influences this, and of course how much travel the damper is seeing etc.

I’d recommend taking a measurement now and then remeasure every few hundred miles.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST