BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Sponsor M3 Project Cars Showcase

07-09-2020, 10:28 PM   #67
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
It's just those are moving boxes not shipping boxes. They'll probably fight you on improper packaging for something of that weight. I used to work in setting up package sorting machines in package distribution centers for Usps across the country. Packages get fucked up at every stop, that kit should have really been individually packaged and shipped or crated on a half pallet really. I hope I'm wrong and they pay out for you. I think the intake could be repaired by someone who knows what they're doing and hopefully everything else is salvageable.
Thanks man, appreciate the insight. I assume they're going to want to know exactly what was damaged and the repair or replacement cost right, i don't make a full insured cost claim? You're right, even if I have to foot the bill I'm sure the threads can be retapped on the SC, bolts can be bought, maybe CF intake repaired, plenum repaired. You're right, we should have just did LTL on a pallet. Luckily we still need to ship the CF ramair. Going to see if he came make a wooden framed case to ship that.

Follow on Instagram: BlueM3wagon
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #68
mattpete13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 6mt

So love this thread!!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 07:43 PM   #69
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep

I filed a claim with UPS for the full insured amount (7,500) for the Gintani kit due to Gintani's non response to more than 10 outreaches. More damage was discover upon inspection like the manifold had huge gouges on the top and pulleys were damaged. Gintani wouldnt even respond to me inquiring about what it would cost to order replacement parts incase UPS will only provide repair costs coverage. So at this point I'd rather not even install the kit, and just give ups the kit and get money towards a superior product with customer service like Harrop. If UPS doesn't cover the full value, I'll be forced to sell this set up at a substantial discount and someone else can pull their hair out trying to get Gintani to respond. I've talked to multiple people from UPS and they've all said, UPS shit the bed. With 7500 insurance value and 80lbs, the box should have never left a dolly at any time. And when lifted would have required a two man lift. That box should have been stored separate with other high value shipments and have shown up in immaculate condition, not like it went through an explosion. I'll keep everyone updated but the Gintani kit will not be going on regardless, already decided on Harrop.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:09 PM   #70
PYE46M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

Wait a minute. Was this purchased brand new from
Gintani ?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:24 PM   #71
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYE46M3 View Post
Wait a minute. Was this purchased brand new from
Gintani ?
No, I won this kit in a personal raffle. Over the last 3-4 weeks I've tried countless time to reach out to Gintani about tuning options and requesting installation instructions but no réponses to email, calls or social media messages (tried to be persistent but not annoying). When the original owner sent the kit to me, he took it to UPS store. They inspected the packing and box and I insured the box for 7,500 ( figured this is the going rate for the kit on the market if they lost it). Box arrived completely destroyed and opened on the top, with multiple things damaged inside. I tried to reach out to Gintani yet again to ask about replacement cost on items I would not be able to fix myself like the carbon fiber intake and their 8 rib pulleys. No response to those. Original owner Sal said he even tried to reach out. I believe he owns two Gintani kits and even set a world record with one and no response. So no, Gintani doesn't owe my anything but I just feel really salty I've been given the cold shoulder on all outreach, I was going to pay for parts, I just didn't want a useless kit with no way of getting the replacement parts if UPS was unwilling to cover the entire kit cost. I positioned the kit as no longer available to UPS to make a better claim at full cost coverage.

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 04:37 PM   #72
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep

Updates:

Rear work is closing to a finish. Waiting on it to be in primer than needing to take it to another shop for paint. I bought a carpart front bumper, mine was in rough shape and more work to fix and paint than just buy a new one. Dinan tips were also shortened to become flush with the rear.

BE bearings will hopefully be going in soon as well.

The supercharged UPS ordeal has been a nightmare. They denied my claim, saying the box wasn't packed well enough but they were inspecting already unpacked box when we took inventory of all the damage. I have an appeal in. They also shipped the SC back to sender (me) without any notification or consent. They threw all the parts in larger box, unpacked and I have even more damage now including the intercooler destroyed, another pulley damaged and the carbon fiber piece now totally destroyed. On top of that, I got a charge from UPS on my credit card and an invoice that charged me the return to sender for another 212.00 🤦*♂️

First photo is to show how it looked before shipping
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 05:15 PM   #73
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Dealing with ups/fedex is a nightmare
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 05:38 PM   #74
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Dealing with ups/fedex is a nightmare
Luckily the last girl I talked to in Damaged was from the US and actually gave a shit. She heard my claim, saw the photos and agreed with all of it. Said she, there's a open response mandatory field in the damage appeal for a representative to give their input and she said she's writing that I should be paid out the full coverage. They have 48 hours to approve or deny the appeal. If they deny again I'm going to submit a corporate complaint and start writing personal emails to executives.

Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      07-25-2020, 05:45 PM   #75
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Contact your CC company for the new account charge, tell them it wasn't authorized. Secondary account charges like that come through VISA/MC/AMEX under a funny code and can't be authenticated. Your CC company will side with you.. start there
      07-31-2020, 11:02 AM   #76
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep

Appeal was denied: they said any package over 50lbs required high density foam on every wall of the box. They are also denying any additional damage to the unit when it was repacked at ups and shipped back to sender. They said because the first box was insufficiently packed they have no legal requirement to repackage back in an acceptable and approved method. They are also not reversing my shipping costs or insurance (original or return to sender) I talked to my lawyer but they said it's going to be at least 5k just to get a deposition and then might not win at all. So all in all, I'm out 670 of my own money, and have a broken Gintani kit that I can't get replacement parts for because Gintani wont return my email or calls.

Shit sucks!

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 05:20 PM   #77
mattpete13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueM3Wagon View Post
Appeal was denied: they said any package over 50lbs required high density foam on every wall of the box. They are also denying any additional damage to the unit when it was repacked at ups and shipped back to sender. They said because the first box was insufficiently packed they have no legal requirement to repackage back in an acceptable and approved method. They are also not reversing my shipping costs or insurance (original or return to sender) I talked to my lawyer but they said it's going to be at least 5k just to get a deposition and then might not win at all. So all in all, I'm out 670 of my own money, and have a broken Gintani kit that I can't get replacement parts for because Gintani wont return my email or calls.

Shit sucks!
Wow that sucks man.

So awesome to win free shit sometimes... not!
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2020, 02:29 PM   #78
OwnAge
Gourik
Canada
Rep
Drives: soon

Garage List
2009 328i  [8.90]
damn brother, thats rough.

We should spam Gintani. They are probably reading this thread low key...
      08-04-2020, 02:55 PM   #79
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

I would definitely put in a claim with your credit card company if you paid for it that way. If nothing else see if any of the parts could be salvaged and maybe piece them out, but agreed that this was a very weird and unfortunate situation. If nothing hopefully you at least get your $600+ back and have a few spare parts you could try to piece out.

Definitely shitty PR for Gintani even if this wasn't their raffle - but as a person who ships things and has been inside of warehouses, the sender clearly fucked up that packaging. Regardless of handling no way was that kind of bubble wrap going to survive with heavy parts in unstructured packaging. If anything, every single one of those parts should have been bubble wrapped, foamed if heavy, and put into its own box tetris style.

I had a similar issue once where I ordered a set of tail lights (not heavy obviously) that the sender literally threw some newspaper in the box. Of course when they arrived, every corner of the light housings was cracked or chipped off completely and UPS was right in denying it, the sender screwed up but at least he refunded me.
      08-04-2020, 04:16 PM   #80
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
I would definitely put in a claim with your credit card company if you paid for it that way. If nothing else see if any of the parts could be salvaged and maybe piece them out, but agreed that this was a very weird and unfortunate situation. If nothing hopefully you at least get your $600+ back and have a few spare parts you could try to piece out.

Definitely shitty PR for Gintani even if this wasn't their raffle - but as a person who ships things and has been inside of warehouses, the sender clearly fucked up that packaging. Regardless of handling no way was that kind of bubble wrap going to survive with heavy parts in unstructured packaging. If anything, every single one of those parts should have been bubble wrapped, foamed if heavy, and put into its own box tetris style.

I had a similar issue once where I ordered a set of tail lights (not heavy obviously) that the sender literally threw some newspaper in the box. Of course when they arrived, every corner of the light housings was cracked or chipped off completely and UPS was right in denying it, the sender screwed up but at least he refunded me.
Yeah I get the packing job could have been done better. Smaller boxes separated out and with foam. I had him do the carbon ram piece professional packed, should of had the rest done too. It just grinds my gears he took it to ups to inspect it, and they gave the green light. Shouldn't be doing that for people if it has no bearing on insurance coverage.

They pointed me to ups Capital website were you type in the weight and box size and it's gives you the recommended packing material but doesn't say approved material. It does say 2" of protection between parts and sides which it had with bubble wrap.

My lawyer said I have a case, but fees are non recoverable from a win so I'd be out the lawsuit cost which would exceed 5k in his opinion. Not worth the 7500 insured value.

I'm also pissed they just threw the parts in a new box and shipped back to sender without my request or authorization. I have proof (before and after photos) of additional damage. They saying they're not required to put any packing in a return to sender box is negligent and just plain fucked up.

I'm going to see what I can do to fix what I can and sell it. I know the kit can be tuned by other tuners so hopefully someone sees some value in it.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 04:42 PM   #81
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep

I've bent all the fins back on the heat exchanger. It's not the prettiest but should have adequate flow.

There are 3 damaged pulleys, maybe they can be repaired? I know the pulley on the vortech can be replaced directly through them (3.5" 7 rib?) but what about these on the bracket? Because of the notches, should they absolutely be replaced or can they be filed and fixed?

Threads on the back of the vortech are fixed.

I'm going to reach out to a CF guy I know about the intake. But looking at it closer, the 1/4" 45 degree brass fitting doesn't seem to be airtight, it's just shoved in there.

Manifold needs new powder coat finish but should be fine after that.

I can either sell the kit as is or have it all fixed up for a sale.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 04:57 AM   #82
DerEisbaer
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & VW Golf Mk2

Hope you still kept the motivation despite all the issues & damages on the "gift" ...

I would try to sell as is and not throw good money into repairing those items. Although, if you like the challenge and are eager to have closure, maybe the repair makes sense.

Besides that: great build! What an awesome wagon this will be!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #83
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep

Gintani Kit is sold, UPS never approved any claim so I took a hit as far as replacement cost for SC but definitely ahead of 0 dollars. Bearings are being done next week, I've yet to go over 5k rpm in the car because I'm absolutely terrified of blowing the engine. Some things to sort out of the car, still. After a few weeks of driving the car I've discovered various electronic items not working or intermittently working.

no navigation since donor was CCC and I used my CIC from the wagon

moonroof button randomly not working at times

usb connection for music will randomly shut off at times while driving and reset connection

rear window lock not working, having 3 year old kids in the back is super annoying they keep messing with it

Rear Pdc screen doesn't pop up on reverse. Nor does the pdc pick up objects.

I had to rewire some speakers from the amp as they were run to wrong location.

More issues with body fitment, front bumper not lining up well on fenders and gapping on hood and headlights.

Side skirts won't push in all the way towards the rear of the car, tried to fix with new clips but doesn't hold

Rear bumper is a mess. Where the two bumpers were spliced there's a raised edge along the entire bumper now, I believe it was smooth when i picked the car up but happened over time. Also the right side has a deep indentation and looks awful from the rear like a dent from being hit. Painter said due to shrinkage, I'm going to see if paint correction does anything to the raised edge but might have to redo the entire bumper, I can't live with it.

Kind of frustrating due to the time I waited for the car to be completed. I felt like with the money I paid I should have gotten a fully sorted car. Going to keep working at it until I'm happy with it.

Appreciate 2
CSBM52716.50
      09-11-2020, 04:55 AM   #84
DerEisbaer
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & VW Golf Mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueM3Wagon View Post
Gintani Kit is sold, UPS never approved any claim so I took a hit as far as replacement cost for SC but definitely ahead of 0 dollars. Bearings are being done next week, I've yet to go over 5k rpm in the car because I'm absolutely terrified of blowing the engine. Some things to sort out of the car, still. After a few weeks of driving the car I've discovered various electronic items not working or intermittently working.

no navigation since donor was CCC and I used my CIC from the wagon

moonroof button randomly not working at times

usb connection for music will randomly shut off at times while driving and reset connection

rear window lock not working, having 3 year old kids in the back is super annoying they keep messing with it

Rear Pdc screen doesn't pop up on reverse. Nor does the pdc pick up objects.

I had to rewire some speakers from the amp as they were run to wrong location.

More issues with body fitment, front bumper not lining up well on fenders and gapping on hood and headlights.

Side skirts won't push in all the way towards the rear of the car, tried to fix with new clips but doesn't hold

Rear bumper is a mess. Where the two bumpers were spliced there's a raised edge along the entire bumper now, I believe it was smooth when i picked the car up but happened over time. Also the right side has a deep indentation and looks awful from the rear like a dent from being hit. Painter said due to shrinkage, I'm going to see if paint correction does anything to the raised edge but might have to redo the entire bumper, I can't live with it.

Kind of frustrating due to the time I waited for the car to be completed. I felt like with the money I paid I should have gotten a fully sorted car. Going to keep working at it until I'm happy with it.
That's the spirit! Keep going man!

I know fully well from earlier projects how it can destroy your motivation if you had poured money into it to have it done properly - and others screwed up & delivered poorly...

Electronic Gremlins are a nightmare, although might take some time.

Bearings are a good starting point and everything else is solvable as well.

We are all rooting for you - this build is awesome already and once sorted, will make you smile every day!
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2020, 07:19 AM   #85
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, overall stupid happy with the car. On a happy note, ive got the audio almost dialed in. Eq settings on point for the individual audio and added in Ghost subs and received rear roof speakers for e91 euro spec individual audio. Just need to wait for the speaker roofline covers to install. The ghost subs are the missing link in this system imo. The bass hits harder, more crisp and better frequency isolation!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-11-2020, 09:46 AM   #86
4 Doors
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi (E90)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Glad to see it coming together. But I do understand your frustration and I hope it all turns out well in the end. Keep your head up and try to do little things for your wife in the meantime until the next part of the project

Current: 2011 E91 328i M-Sport Touring
Past: 2008 E90 335xi
1996 E36 328i Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 10:11 AM   #87
D1ESEL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11.5 ZCP E90, GT3's

Such an amazing build!
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2020, 03:49 AM   #88
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Can't believe I just stumbled upon this thread. Excellent work so far my friend, I do feel your frustration as well but keep up the positive attitude and the finished product will be amazing.
Appreciate 1