BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

08-07-2020, 01:10 PM   #13333
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep
Drives: Its a M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Does anyone know how the M2C does on track? Are they able to run for 30 minutes without the motor cutting power? I know the Supras can struggle and start slowing down.

Are they pretty much ready to go from the factory or do they need stuff like camber plates, better brakes, bigger tires, coilovers, larger coolers, etc? The brakes look very substantial since they took the 6-pot CCM caliper and just jammed it on the standard iron rotors.
Theres a local guy selling his M2 Comp. He works for Toyota at corporate and getting a supra for demo, his reason for selling. The only issue is you cant run a 18in wheel due to the larger brakes. He put some ohlins on his but doubt theres is much of a need. Has mostly the same cooling and due to having the same motor as a M3/M4 so should be good there. Ive ran a stock M4 at Cresson with no issues but brake fade due to pushing really hard, wish my e90 could run a 1:23 with stock everything down to the tires lol. I think camber plates on about any car is a must for the tire wear but out of the box I dont think you would have any issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:18 PM   #13334
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCUSE_M3 View Post
Theres a local guy selling his M2 Comp. He works for Toyota at corporate and getting a supra for demo, his reason for selling. The only issue is you cant run a 18in wheel due to the larger brakes. He put some ohlins on his but doubt theres is much of a need. Has mostly the same cooling and due to having the same motor as a M3/M4 so should be good there. Ive ran a stock M4 at Cresson with no issues but brake fade due to pushing really hard, wish my e90 could run a 1:23 with stock everything down to the tires lol. I think camber plates on about any car is a must for the tire wear but out of the box I dont think you would have any issues.
are the M2 Comp stock brakes really good?
I'd think you can swap out the stock brakes for aftermarket BBK, then fit 18 inch wheel over it.

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #13335
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
I'd think you can swap out the stock brakes for aftermarket BBK, then fit 18 inch wheel over it.
You can do that swap. Previous owner of my car now has a M2C and he's got what's basically the same AP Radical setup on his M2C and is currently running around on 18s. Also saves nearly 40lbs on those cars.
      08-07-2020, 03:51 PM   #13336
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep
Drives: Its a M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
You can do that swap. Previous owner of my car now has a M2C and he's got what's basically the same AP Radical setup on his M2C and is currently running around on 18s. Also saves nearly 40lbs on those cars.
Was going to say AP don't think you can go wrong with that kit. Probably would be worth it for the savings on tires and wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 04:05 PM   #13337
LeveragedTiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
I’d Swiss cheese your upper body. Lop 18 lbs of useless material off above your shoulders too. All high cg mass so it’s super helpful.
Just don't skip leg day and all that mass will be down low in the car.
      08-07-2020, 04:07 PM   #13338
LeveragedTiger
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_PDX View Post
I don't think piston heads are supposed to look like this.
I don't think you're supposed to throw piston heads in a volcano either.
      08-07-2020, 04:42 PM   #13339
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post

They look decent. BMW took the caliper from the M3 carbon ceramic package and slapped it on. It's a 6-pot setup with 15.7" rotors. That's bigger than what my Grand Sport has.
      08-08-2020, 09:58 AM   #13340
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Does anyone know how the M2C does on track? Are they able to run for 30 minutes without the motor cutting power? I know the Supras can struggle and start slowing down.

Are they pretty much ready to go from the factory or do they need stuff like camber plates, better brakes, bigger tires, coilovers, larger coolers, etc? The brakes look very substantial since they took the 6-pot CCM caliper and just jammed it on the standard iron rotors.
I have a good friend with a M2 comp. He has MCS singles, camber plates, front sway bar and AP Radical 5000 in front because 18" wheels do not fit over the stock brakes. He flashed it to 550 hp and 550 lbs of torque at the wheels. Very quick on RE-71 street tires. He has only been out once but believe there is or will be issues with heat at that power level.
*I think the M2 CS looks interesting
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 11:03 PM   #13341
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
Agreed but not for the price premium it will command. I don't need EDC, 40hp, and a slight weight reduction THAT much.

For $5k I could get lighter wheels or a BBK, have BPM install a CS tune, and have a car that performs nearly the same.
      08-09-2020, 12:42 AM   #13342
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
Agreed but not for the price premium it will command. I don't need EDC, 40hp, and a slight weight reduction THAT much.

For $5k I could get lighter wheels or a BBK, have BPM install a CS tune, and have a car that performs nearly the same.
Facts
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 01:15 AM   #13343
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

So an update on my car...

After some back and forth with GM customer relations via email explaining the situation, they found me another dealer that was qualified to work on Corvettes. Called them and confirmed that yes, bring it in Monday and we'll be able to take a look that same day -- they have seven transmission technicians. Perfect. They too were flabbergasted at my dealer's lack of transparency and inept scheduling, said no we don't work that way.

So I went back to my regular dealer and politely told them I want the car back now, I've found another dealer who can look at it Monday, and I don't want to wait around any longer for you guys to get to it.

My advisor picks up the phone and calls someone, suddenly tells me, "Well the transmission technician actually has the car up on the lift now, and he's saying that the noise is caused by your aftermarket wheels and aftermarket lug nuts not being torqued down properly." Lmao, what? Also, that's pretty convenient that the car is suddenly up on the lift right when I pull in there 30 minutes before close on a Saturday.

About 10 minutes later my car emerges into the service driveway and I said there's no way it's the wheels, the car has been driven nearly 500 miles on those [Finspeed] wheels and the [MSI] lug nuts even longer. I asked my advisor if anyone actually drove the car and he assured me yes. I re-explained the problem and said I don't understand how it would be the wheels. Signed the paper to release the car, no charge, and drove away. Curiously, the service report didn't even indicate they did any work or there was a diagnosis of improperly torqued wheels/non factory wheels/etc...all it had was the problem explanation I typed into their website when I setup the appointment.

I'd bet $20 that no one even looked at the fucking car, let alone drove it. I took the car straight home and recorded myself checking the torque on all 20 lug nuts -- wrench clicked immediately on each one. Going to lodge a formal complaint with GM corporate once the other dealer actually gets a diagnosis in.

This dealer tried a similar excuse with me once before. I should've trusted my gut and never returned. That earlier visit, I went in with a clicking sound when turning left and was told "it's your aftermarket wheels, they're not the right size and the tires are cupped." Mind you this was a completely different set of wheels and the OEM lugs.

My faith in GM is largely restored thanks to their customer care team. Fingers crossed the other dealer can get everything sorted out before the next NASA event.
derbo3607.00
kyippee1072.00
XKxRome0ox1587.50
      08-09-2020, 03:08 AM   #13344
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Those with core4 hub, how hard was the install? Can it by diy?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 03:54 AM   #13345
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

dparm i wouldn't go back there again. that kind of nonsense trickles down from who i would assume would be the shop foreman. its just clownery and insulting to your intelligence they would try sell you on that bs diagnosis.
      08-09-2020, 11:44 AM   #13346
Neuner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90-S65, F31-B46

Quote:
So an update on my car...

After some back and forth with GM customer relations via email explaining the situation, they found me another dealer that was qualified to work on Corvettes. Called them and confirmed that yes, bring it in Monday and we'll be able to take a look that same day -- they have seven transmission technicians. Perfect. They too were flabbergasted at my dealer's lack of transparency and inept scheduling, said no we don't work that way.

So I went back to my regular dealer and politely told them I want the car back now, I've found another dealer who can look at it Monday, and I don't want to wait around any longer for you guys to get to it.

My advisor picks up the phone and calls someone, suddenly tells me, "Well the transmission technician actually has the car up on the lift now, and he's saying that the noise is caused by your aftermarket wheels and aftermarket lug nuts not being torqued down properly." Lmao, what? Also, that's pretty convenient that the car is suddenly up on the lift right when I pull in there 30 minutes before close on a Saturday.

About 10 minutes later my car emerges into the service driveway and I said there's no way it's the wheels, the car has been driven nearly 500 miles on those [Finspeed] wheels and the [MSI] lug nuts even longer. I asked my advisor if anyone actually drove the car and he assured me yes. I re-explained the problem and said I don't understand how it would be the wheels. Signed the paper to release the car, no charge, and drove away. Curiously, the service report didn't even indicate they did any work or there was a diagnosis of improperly torqued wheels/non factory wheels/etc...all it had was the problem explanation I typed into their website when I setup the appointment.

I'd bet $20 that no one even looked at the fucking car, let alone drove it. I took the car straight home and recorded myself checking the torque on all 20 lug nuts -- wrench clicked immediately on each one. Going to lodge a formal complaint with GM corporate once the other dealer actually gets a diagnosis in.

This dealer tried a similar excuse with me once before. I should've trusted my gut and never returned. That earlier visit, I went in with a clicking sound when turning left and was told "it's your aftermarket wheels, they're not the right size and the tires are cupped." Mind you this was a completely different set of wheels and the OEM lugs.

My faith in GM is largely restored thanks to their customer care team. Fingers crossed the other dealer can get everything sorted out before the next NASA event.
ah yes, the typical GM service experience. Were there a bunch of filthy toddlers crawling around on the floor and was Judge Judy playing on the TV in the waiting room too?
Appreciate 1
admranger2984.50
      08-09-2020, 12:33 PM   #13347
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
Those with core4 hub, how hard was the install? Can it by diy?
Fronts are extremely easy. Everyone says rears suck and you need special tools, so I took it to a shop. One side had the axle and hub seized together, so I am still waiting on a new wheel carrier and axle for that side to finish the install...So rears indeed SUCK.
      08-09-2020, 12:53 PM   #13348
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post
ah yes, the typical GM service experience. Were there a bunch of filthy toddlers crawling around on the floor and was Judge Judy playing on the TV in the waiting room too?

LOL! The waiting area is certainly shittier than BMW and Audi, but I guess that's why the cars cost less.

To be fair, this dealer was fine for basic things like oil changes or whatever. But those are super easy, even on a dry sump car.
      08-09-2020, 07:45 PM   #13349
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:

Brakes are bigger than the original M2 as well. Plus it has the dressy but functional carbon fiber strut brace (which you can retrofit, btw).

I’d add a larger inter cooler to the mix, or as the lads in the M2 forums like to say FMIC (Front mount intercooler, ugh, like the M2 might have a side mount one — it’s just a fucking intercooler...).

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 10:55 PM   #13350
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Welp, the Corvette I normally co-drive at autocross lately started a misfiring and threw a CEL after lunch so we put it back on the trailer before the afternoon session...
My e92 was on site, but with had the totally wrong DD wheel/tire setup on it (plus found one of my tires had a screw in it, ugh) So, instead of doing the hard work thing and borrowing wheels/tires from one of the 7 other e9x's and multiple other BMW's at the event lol I got to hop into an f80 M3 with JRZ's, 295 Nankang's, etc on it and took a few runs...

I have to say, first impressions, the car was well-setup and very nice to drive, But I 100% would not sell my e92 for it. Just not the same experience and too much technology for me.
Turns out just getting in the car and turning DSC off wasn't enough and still kept the car in some sort of "comfort mode" that interfered a ton...Even after putting the correct MDM mode on for one run I still really didn't love the way the car behaved specifically in note to the differential which interferes similarly to the newer corvette does as well that's taken quite a bit of getting used to.
So with all that said, dparm if you really are thinking of buying an M2 Comp after your Chevy dealership snafu this past week, make sure to test drive it really hard and think about it before you do!
I thought once maybe someday I would consider "moving up" to a newer f8x, but after today, while I would love more seat-time in that car and to be faster in it, I prefer the e9x hands down.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 3
derbo3607.00
//steve\\1074.00
XKxRome0ox1587.50
      08-10-2020, 12:17 AM   #13351
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Sounds like these vettes are drama.
      08-10-2020, 02:50 AM   #13352
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Kelse92 was this autocross or track? So curious if it was autocross, why not DSC completely off? It's so much less risk than track Maybe that would've made it a lot more fun!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 06:05 AM   #13353
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyippee View Post
Kelse92 was this autocross or track? So curious if it was autocross, why not DSC completely off? It's so much less risk than track Maybe that would've made it a lot more fun!
I read her reply as we tried to turn DSC off but it never actually seemed to be 100% off.
Kelse921131.50
      08-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #13354
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

The e-diff feels weird at first, but once you learn to trust it, the car is just faster with an e-diff than without