BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

12-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

2014 NSX is back!

good news:
It's back!
AWD Powertrain!

Potentially bad news:
It's on a modified Honda Accord chassis.
Hybrid Motor
Before you flip out - the V6 version is rumored to be making around 400hp.

Here is the article

The NSX lives, at least in a different form. According to one source, Honda never gave up its plans for an NSX successor. Even though the V-10-powered post-NSX concept came along at the wrong time -- during the economic meltdown -- and had to be cancelled, Honda engineers didn't completely shelve the project.
They simply applied a more market-friendly (and eco-friendly) sports-car approach to the company's flagship two-door, giving it the latest hybrid gizmology. Completely different than Toyota's THS-II hybrid system, the technology slated to power Honda's new sports coupe "can be driven with either a clutch and an engine only, the engine and motor only, or the motor only," says our source. It will also offer a manual transmission option.

Click to view Gallery
It apparently will employ a modified Accord platform, and power will come from either a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder or a 3.5-liter V-6, with the latter considered the sure favorite. Why do we think so? Once again our spies in Japan have uncovered a patent application that specifies a "V6 powertrain developing upwards of 400 horsepower." That makes sense, especially when you consider what one company staffer told us about Honda's desire to return to making sports cars. "Honda does not see the CR-Z as a sports car. It's a sporty coupe and a great first try in the hybrid-sports direction. To be called a sports car, a car needs to have the potential of an NSX or an S2000. That's what we need to aim for."
And as expected, the coupe will employ a version of the automaker's proven SH-AWD system, but Honda will apply NSX concept technology by fitting the rear-drive-based SH-AWD setup that enabled the test mule to lap the Nürburgring in 7 minutes, 37 seconds two years ago.
Using the front-wheel-drive Accord platform as a base for this car will cut R&D costs dramatically. Engineers will swap the front and rear around to create a rear midship AWD package. If the coupe gets the green light for production, expect to see it in showrooms as early as 2014. Still unclear is if the car will continue to be badged as an Acura here in the U.S.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...#ixzz17LxrYlGe
      12-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
RedGT3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: .2 GT3/M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by track_warrior View Post

good news:
It's back!
AWD Powertrain!

Potentially bad news:
It's on a modified Honda Accord chassis.
Hybrid Motor
Before you flip out - the V6 version is rumored to be making around 400hp.

Here is the article

The NSX lives, at least in a different form. According to one source, Honda never gave up its plans for an NSX successor. Even though the V-10-powered post-NSX concept came along at the wrong time -- during the economic meltdown -- and had to be cancelled, Honda engineers didn't completely shelve the project.
They simply applied a more market-friendly (and eco-friendly) sports-car approach to the company's flagship two-door, giving it the latest hybrid gizmology. Completely different than Toyota's THS-II hybrid system, the technology slated to power Honda's new sports coupe "can be driven with either a clutch and an engine only, the engine and motor only, or the motor only," says our source. It will also offer a manual transmission option.

Click to view Gallery
It apparently will employ a modified Accord platform, and power will come from either a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder or a 3.5-liter V-6, with the latter considered the sure favorite. Why do we think so? Once again our spies in Japan have uncovered a patent application that specifies a "V6 powertrain developing upwards of 400 horsepower." That makes sense, especially when you consider what one company staffer told us about Honda's desire to return to making sports cars. "Honda does not see the CR-Z as a sports car. It's a sporty coupe and a great first try in the hybrid-sports direction. To be called a sports car, a car needs to have the potential of an NSX or an S2000. That's what we need to aim for."
And as expected, the coupe will employ a version of the automaker's proven SH-AWD system, but Honda will apply NSX concept technology by fitting the rear-drive-based SH-AWD setup that enabled the test mule to lap the Nürburgring in 7 minutes, 37 seconds two years ago.
Using the front-wheel-drive Accord platform as a base for this car will cut R&D costs dramatically. Engineers will swap the front and rear around to create a rear midship AWD package. If the coupe gets the green light for production, expect to see it in showrooms as early as 2014. Still unclear is if the car will continue to be badged as an Acura here in the U.S.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...#ixzz17LxrYlGe
FAIL.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
Olagüe
Brigadier General
Spain
Rep
Drives: 333i e92

mmmmm
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
toper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C4S Cab

why the honda badge instead of acura?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Maybe because Acura is only in the states?

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toper View Post
why the honda badge instead of acura?
Well since the car is japanese and there is no acura in japan im guessing thats why. It would be smart though to badge it in the states as a honda and have a 50-60 k price tag to have an advantage on the gtr. No one will buy this car if honda slaps a acura badge and decides to put a 80-90k price tag.
      12-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
toper
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well since the car is japanese and there is no acura in japan im guessing thats why. It would be smart though to badge it in the states as a honda and have a 50-60 k price tag to have an advantage on the gtr. No one will buy this car if honda slaps a acura badge and decides to put a 80-90k price tag.
thx for the explanation, I was so busy checking out the body that i didn't notice the wheel on the "wrong side", lol...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toper View Post
thx for the explanation, I was so busy checking out the body that i didn't notice the wheel on the "wrong side", lol...
How do you like the design? Imo the back looks sexy kinda ferrari looking but i dunno about the front theres too much going on there.
      12-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

has some pretty awesome lines! i like it a lot

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
toper
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How do you like the design? Imo the back looks sexy kinda ferrari looking but i dunno about the front theres too much going on there.
the first thing that came to my mind was ferrari as well, I would prefer quad-exhaust also. the badge really stuck out for me though, it's just too prominent and kind of cheapens the overall look for me (not that there's anything bad about honda, they just don't pop into my mind when i think of an aggressive, exotic looking vehicle).
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
prichards516
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 zcp

If the price is right i would get it..it looks nice!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #13
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by prichards516 View Post
If the price is right i would get it..it looks nice!
+1. I hope not it will follow another LFA pricing.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #14
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

Add kidney grills and BMW logos and I'll buy it.....looks great.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #15
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

Front reminds me of an R8 ..side reminds me of F430 ..rear looks good too. I dig it.

Hopefully they can make this a light-weight monster.
      12-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #16
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

highly doubt it
      12-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #17
kWonM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

i kinda like it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #18
dpsfm3
M enthusiast. BMW CCA member.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 7MDCT AW loaded

still an acura...pass
      12-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #19
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep
Drives: jet black e92 m3

its looks are trying to say that it can keep up with a veyron so unless it can.....i'll pass lol
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 10:39 PM   #20
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

Looks good, if they are basing on accord type platform and 400 hp it could come in under 60k loaded. Adding spice to the sports car line up. Honda sure needs something that looks good!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 12:35 AM   #21
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsfm3 View Post
still an acura...pass
did you ever drive the last gen nsx? The driving itself justifies buying that car. The suspension is so forgiving on daily driving yet firm enough to take even the most challenging corners. Honda has a great f1 team before i just hope they keep the racing techniques with this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
Looks good, if they are basing on accord type platform and 400 hp it could come in under 60k loaded. Adding spice to the sports car line up. Honda sure needs something that looks good!
Im waiting on the next s2k for a project car so i can sell the evo. I hope its a high revving monster.
      12-07-2010, 01:15 AM   #22
op487062
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: audi s5

i love the negative remarks before the car has even come out. maybe the car is light and corners like it's on rails like a lotus evora. if you don't like the looks, i get it, but commenting on the power/performance seems premature.
Appreciate 0