BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

11-02-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
acarr6
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

So I'm having the dreaded steering wheel shimmy, and I've searched endlessly. One question I couldn't quite find the answer to..

So I replaced one of my front tires as it got a puncture. My other passenger side tire still had 8.5/32nd out of 10/32 new. So I figured I don't need to replace. Would this difference in tread (1.5/32nd) be enough to cause vibration?

Car only has 35k miles

-No bends
-Balanced wheels
-Only shimmy's between 120KMH-128KMH.
-Wheels are aftermarket, 3 piece forged vorsteiner, but obviously hubcentric etc with no play.

Also wanted to mention, when I mounted the wheels, I tighten them hand tight, then torque down when I lower it... is that going to cause any issues? I figure since it's hubcentric that shouldn't matter.

PFA
Attached Images

11-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #2
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Have you checked your felt undertray? If it’s super beat up it will cause steering wheel shake, mine did until I switched to a metal one

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 2
acarr6406.00
Ajolives922.00
      11-02-2019, 11:14 PM   #3
acarr6
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Have you checked your felt undertray? If it's super beat up it will cause steering wheel shake, mine did until I switched to a metal one
I actually don't have any undertray. Literally. All 3 pieces are completely gone. Was planning to order the Mporium undertray.
      11-03-2019, 06:38 AM   #4
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Jack up the front and check the tires for run-out. Both my fronts have flat spots and I overfill them to get rid of my shimmy.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 06:39 AM   #5
Ajolives
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Have you checked your felt undertray? If it's super beat up it will cause steering wheel shake, mine did until I switched to a metal one
Which one did you get? I've been thinking of converting over to a full metal under tray.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #6
maxgohan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: pre-lci e90 335i

Quote:
Have you checked your felt undertray? If it’s super beat up it will cause steering wheel shake, mine did until I switched to a metal one
Omg could this be the cause for mine ??
I guess I should get deansbimmers version
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #7
acarr6
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajolives View Post
Jack up the front and check the tires for run-out. Both my fronts have flat spots and I overfill them to get rid of my shimmy.
Don't think this is the issue. Took my wheels to wheel repair shop - checked for bends and none found. Also had the wheels rebalanced 3 times (road force).
      11-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #8
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr6 View Post
I actually don't have any undertray. Literally. All 3 pieces are completely gone. Was planning to order the Mporium undertray.
Well, regardless, I’d order it anyway cause it really is great! But it also may solve your issue

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 08:34 PM   #9
acarr6
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well, regardless, I’d order it anyway cause it really is great! But it also may solve your issue
new undertray being installed friday! Got the mumbray motosports one
      04-16-2020, 03:56 AM   #10
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

If you only hand tighten in the air that could be an issue. Use an impact driver to tighten when unweighted. Drop to the point that the tire is only touching enough to not spin when tightening with torque wrench (in other words not fully weighted).

>> This process has served me well - especially with spacers. People claim issues with spacers and I have literally never had one single issue with a spacer using the above process (plus making sure all of my hub and wheel mounting surfaces are perfectly clean and rust free).
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 04-17-2020 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
acarr6406.00
      04-16-2020, 10:30 AM   #11
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
If you only hand tight in the air that could be an issue. Use an impact driver to tighten when unweighted. Drop to the point that the tire is only touching enough to not spin when tightening with torque wrench.
I like two ugh-as ugh-as tight lol
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 2
slicer2736.00
acarr6406.00
      04-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #12
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't think this is the issue. Took my wheels to wheel repair shop - checked for bends and none found. Also had the wheels rebalanced 3 times (road force).
Did the shop balance them down below 0.25oz? I've had numerous cars come to my shop with a steering wheel shimmy after they've been balanced 2-3 times and it seems a lot of tire shops are setting their balancing machines to only balance down to 1oz or 0.5oz. For a typical commuter car, that's close enough but on cars like the M3 with a more direct connection between the wheels and the body and with a more picky owner, that's still enough to feel (especially if four wheels are each off by a little bit).

I just had a customer last week who had his wheels balanced within the past month and was still having steering wheel vibration around 60-65mph, his four wheels were off by 0.75, 0.5, 0.75, and 1.00 ounces so balancing them more precisely was all he needed. Many of the usual tire shops will do a more precise balance if you ask them to, they don't every time because wheel weights start to get expensive when you consider how many a tire shop uses in a year.
Appreciate 1
slicer2736.00
      04-16-2020, 05:41 PM   #13
acarr6
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Quote:
Did the shop balance them down below 0.25oz? I've had numerous cars come to my shop with a steering wheel shimmy after they've been balanced 2-3 times and it seems a lot of tire shops are setting their balancing machines to only balance down to 1oz or 0.5oz. For a typical commuter car, that's close enough but on cars like the M3 with a more direct connection between the wheels and the body and with a more picky owner, that's still enough to feel (especially if four wheels are each off by a little bit).

I just had a customer last week who had his wheels balanced within the past month and was still having steering wheel vibration around 60-65mph, his four wheels were off by 0.75, 0.5, 0.75, and 1.00 ounces so balancing them more precisely was all he needed. Many of the usual tire shops will do a more precise balance if you ask them to, they don't every time because wheel weights start to get expensive when you consider how many a tire shop uses in a year.
Good call, tomorrow I'm taking the car to my regular shop, who is a high end race shop. He mentioned he's 90% sure it's going to be a balancing issue rather than anything else. So you could definitely be right!
      04-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #14
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I had a steering vibration issue and it ended up an issue where the shop did not seat the bead correct due to the ribbed beat seat. It was very hard visibly to see the improperly seated bead. The second shop ended up pumping that sucker to 50psi with TONS of that white lube to ensure it seated properly. Roadforce originally was 45-50lbs and ended up down to 11lbs after everything was fixed.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
slicer2736.00
      04-17-2020, 10:10 AM   #15
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
I had a steering vibration issue and it ended up an issue where the shop did not seat the bead correct due to the ribbed beat seat. It was very hard visibly to see the improperly seated bead. The second shop ended up pumping that sucker to 50psi with TONS of that white lube to ensure it seated properly. Roadforce originally was 45-50lbs and ended up down to 11lbs after everything was fixed.
Yes ^ Good Call - I have had this issue many times.

Certain wheels (like the BBS E88) have textured beads and/or are built to a tight tolerance in bead diameter to prevent the tire from rotating on the wheel under track use. The E88 is the most challenging in this department. I always check the beads prior to install. Often people think these wheels leak but 99.9999% of the time the beads aren't properly set or the valve stems aren't tight enough.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 12:10 PM   #16
acarr6
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

So got the car back today. Wheels weren't balanced. Front was off by 0.75 (driver) and 0.50 (passenger). Rear was also off by 0.75 on one side. 99% of the vibration is gone now.

Edit : this is the third time balancing them (previous tire shop last 2 times). Didn't realize the importance of a proper balancing guy lol
      04-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #17
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

One thing I don't miss from running staggered tires - steering wheel shimmy.

Being able to rotate made this problem disappear for me. It's only been a bad balance one time, every other time it's just been a front tire wear issue about halfway through a tire's life.
      04-20-2020, 11:16 AM   #18
acarr6
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
One thing I don't miss from running staggered tires - steering wheel shimmy.

Being able to rotate made this problem disappear for me. It's only been a bad balance one time, every other time it's just been a front tire wear issue about halfway through a tire's life.
Yeah, I'm going to run a square set next for sure. 18x10.5