BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Ground Control spring kit? Anyone have this?

I spoke with a memeber on here regarding this spring kit. Sounded promising so I decided to give ground control a call. He explained it to me and its basically a ride adjustable spring kit that comes with new bump stops and camber plates and retaines ur edc shocks. U can pick which spring rates u want as well. Prob not as simple as how I explained it but sounds very promising. Im looking to get out of my H&R spring kit and was gonna go with coils, but would love to keep my edc. So has anyone heard of these or anyone have them? May pull the trigger and give it a shot. I believe u can drop it as low as 1.25 in the rear and about 1" up front.

How is ground control regardless? A well known company?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
I spoke with a memeber on here regarding this spring kit. Sounded promising so I decided to give ground control a call. He explained it to me and its basically a ride adjustable spring kit that comes with new bump stops and camber plates and retaines ur edc shocks. U can pick which spring rates u want as well. Prob not as simple as how I explained it but sounds very promising. Im looking to get out of my H&R spring kit and was gonna go with coils, but would love to keep my edc. So has anyone heard of these or anyone have them? May pull the trigger and give it a shot. I believe u can drop it as low as 1.25 in the rear and about 1" up front.

Getting my kit next week. I've had three different setups on different cars and have had good experiences each time. A lot of the E46M3 guys run GC setups as well as other makes.

BC
      02-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

Their products looks of very high quality... I wannapull the trigger on these. Just want a bit more feedback.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

GC is great company.
I used their products on my e46 M3 and was totally happy with their stuff.
      02-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

This sounds great. I guess Barry will be the guinea pig. I am eager to hear about the results you have with the kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
This sounds great. I guess Barry will be the guinea pig. I am eager to hear about the results you have with the kit.
Looks like I'll be getting everything next week and the week after next I've got a track event at VIR. So I should be able to post my observations at that time. Won't be able to talk track times as I don't really keep up with that besides the conditions will be totally different than the last time I was at VIR on the Motons.

Thx,
BC
      02-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

Barry, r u switching from the motons to the gc? If so, how come? Arent the motons supposed to b the best coilover out there?

Also, which spring did u go with? (spring rate)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post

GC is a very well respected company. Interested in how this turns out.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
Andrew 912
//M addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E92 - MR X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryC View Post
Looks like I'll be getting everything next week and the week after next I've got a track event at VIR. So I should be able to post my observations at that time. Won't be able to talk track times as I don't really keep up with that besides the conditions will be totally different than the last time I was at VIR on the Motons.

Thx,
BC
Barry, You gave up on Motons? Please keep up date of your experience with GC.... I'm sure our member would be very keen to know.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Had a complete GC suspension under my e46; shocks, springs, bars, camber plates, bushings, etc. You can't go wrong with one of Jay's set-ups.

Last edited by Radiation Joe; 02-11-2010 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: old age made me call Jay Jim.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #11
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep

Yes I've given up on the Motons. The fix for the noise is supposed to be available at the end of this month. I've had to pay to have the struts taken off/replaced a couple of times already and I decided I wasn't willing to take the chance that the fix doesn't work and therefore have to pay to take the struts off several more times in pursuit of eliminating the noise. Basically I'm cutting my losses. The Motons are really nice but I'm hoping to get significant improvement in handling (vs. stock) from the GC kit.

The spring rates I'm going with are 430/650. This is similar to the Motons in the rear but about 20% stiffer in the front. Jay recommended these rates based on our conversation regarding how I plan to use the car. These rates are too crazy but I'll see how well the EDC struts can control them. Jay was confident they can.

BTW, the cost of the kit with camber plates, sway bar links, springs, bumpstops and adjusters is less $1k. If this works - will be a very good deal IMO. Will keep you guys posted....

BC
      02-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes I've given up on the Motons. The fix for the noise is supposed to be available at the end of this month. I've had to pay to have the struts taken off/replaced a couple of times already and I decided I wasn't willing to take the chance that the fix doesn't work and therefore have to pay to take the struts off several more times in pursuit of eliminating the noise. Basically I'm cutting my losses. The Motons are really nice but I'm hoping to get significant improvement in handling (vs. stock) from the GC kit.

The spring rates I'm going with are 430/650. This is similar to the Motons in the rear but about 20% stiffer in the front. Jay recommended these rates based on our conversation regarding how I plan to use the car. These rates are too crazy but I'll see how well the EDC struts can control them. Jay was confident they can.

BTW, the cost of the kit with camber plates, sway bar links, springs, bumpstops and adjusters is less $1k. If this works - will be a very good deal IMO. Will keep you guys posted....

BC

Wow, great info. BTW, I wa so shocked when i heard the price as well. I was ready to order right then and there but decided to not jump the gun. However, tom may b a diff story haha

He did however say that there were a few cars with this kit already on, which is y I decided to hold off and c if i can get a hold of them. he said most cars were local, i figured mayb one of them would at least b on the forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #13
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Very interested in hearing some reviews on this kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #14
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

BC
Hey BC,

The rear spring rates sound fine. But how confident are you that the front stock EDC can handle springs with a much higher rate? (160 lbs/in vs. 430 lbs/in)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #15
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Hey BC,

The rear spring rates sound fine. But how confident are you that the front stock EDC can handle springs with a much higher rate? (160 lbs/in vs. 430 lbs/in)
Basically I'm relying on Jay's recommendations. I've bought three suspensions from him and each one has worked as promised. If he's wrong - I'll replace the springs with a lower rate.

BTW, given that that OEM bumpstop is also a spring - isn't the effective rate higher than the spring rate of 160? Am I not thinking about this right?

BC
      02-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #16
rzm3
Rep

True. But until the very end of compression travel, the bumpstop at most doubles the effective spring rate, and this is only in compression.

Anyway keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #17
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

BC
It looks like I'm the last man standing on the motons from the original group of buyers on the forum. If this next round of revisions to the shocks don't fix them I'll be dumping them too.
GC makes good stuff. I'm actually running their rear spring hardware with my custom springs on the motons because the moton perch was too short. The only thing that I am question is the way that the rear perch is designed places a lot of load on a smaller area than everyone else's design (including stock). The adjuster is shaped like a broom stick and is inserted into the hole that is in the under body. Jay knows his stuff so I'm sure it's fine and I haven't punched a hole through my chassis yet

Looking forward to your review and comparison against the motons.

Last edited by RickyBobby; 02-11-2010 at 12:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 11:58 PM   #18
rzm3
Rep

RickyBobby if you and I lived close enough, we could probably get sponsorship and compare every single coil over kit out there and get the question resolved once and for all...

The problem with everyone trying just one type of kit is that you only have stock as baseline. Perhaps stiffer springs alone may already improve the handling significantly... or perhaps expensive double, triple or quadruple shocks really make a difference on top of the stiffer springs... but who knows? Sometimes it's all in the head
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #19
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

rldzhao, What spring rate do u think sounds about right for the front? Im gonna order this tom and I wanna tell him what I think i need rather him telling me. Do u have any ideas? If not ill discuss it with him and take it from there.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 02:15 AM   #20
Maseroche
Major
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M3

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Interested in impressions on the GC package. Too bad about the motons, they were so promising. Hope it gets resolved anyway just because those guys have a great reputation at stake.
'14 Mercedes-Benz S400
'18 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 04:07 AM   #21
Andrew 912
//M addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E92 - MR X6M

Feel so bad to Motons, it seems everyone is dumping the system and shifting to some other brands. I hope they can fix the noise it is just too pity............ such a great looking products
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 06:58 AM   #22
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew 912 View Post
Feel so bad to Motons, it seems everyone is dumping the system and shifting to some other brands. I hope they can fix the noise it is just too pity............ such a great looking products
Assuming they get the noise fixed, they still are the premier setup IMO.

BC