BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

02-23-2024, 07:38 PM   #1
Mjlevine
Private
Rep
Drives: 535i/m3

Mrf engineering delays and issues

If anyone else has had issues with communication and delays please lmk or add your issues here I’ve heard nothing but good about MRF ENGINEERING but I haven’t had the best time so far ( first visit ever)

he has had my car for over two months with no communication on his end I have to be the one reaching out and contacting him and then the date keeps getting pushed back ( I blew the Motor and am replacing it) he received a motor to replace it and sent it back without letting me know said it wasn’t up to his standards delaying the process again and now is saying he has a new motor and needs more parts that are on the way apparently and pushed my date back again the car was delivered to him DEC 11 2023 messaged me DEC 15 saying it’s done with my name in the text and then says oops wrong person and then says it’s blown later that day I got the funds for a new motor and gave deposit DEC 30 then JAN 25 he says he returned the new motor then one week later the newest motor should have arrived and was never told it arrived until I asked on FEB 7 I was told it should be done a week later around FEB 14 then was told FEB 21 and now it should be ready hopefully by FEB 24 I’ll update this thread if it’s delayed again
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 07:50 PM   #2
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Malek@MRF ?
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2024, 07:53 PM   #3
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

wouldn't be the first time i heard of something like this.

I've had friends with great results, but bad experiences with MRF.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 07:53 PM   #4
Mjlevine
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post

I’m sure his work is good but a little disappointed
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 07:40 AM   #5
vitalsigns
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Work was good, but I sure didn't feel valued as a customer, nor did I feel he respected my time.

Last edited by vitalsigns; 02-24-2024 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2024, 08:39 AM   #6
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
To be fair, expecting an engine replacement that you didn’t solely source and provide to be quick is a mistake. It very well might be another 60-90 days.

Issuming you’re paying a flat rate, just do your best to be patient. You’d rather someone meticulous than speedy.
      02-24-2024, 10:32 AM   #7
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

I've been frustrated by stuff like this myself before so I feel your pain.

Just remember when you're dealing with a place that is basically one dude, you are dealing with a literal human being who is dealing with lots of stuff you'll never know about and may or not be any of your business to know about. It's one of the reasons it's both awesome and frustrating to deal with a small business owner in a niche market - you get the actual person who has the actual expertise doing the work, but that person is not a robot.

Especially if Malek is still doing the work himself, one finger out of 10 fingers on his hands going out of commission can stop the entire operation, for instance. Or one bout of the flu, or one family emergency, or one supplier screwing something up.

But again, I get it when you feel like you're being ignored after spending a ton of money, just trying to help with perspective
      02-24-2024, 11:55 AM   #8
Mjlevine
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
To be fair, expecting an engine replacement that you didn’t solely source and provide to be quick is a mistake. It very well might be another 60-90 days.

Issuming you’re paying a flat rate, just do your best to be patient. You’d rather someone meticulous than speedy.
Completely understand that it takes time however I was also told they had an engine in stock at the shop by Malek once I was told it was blown. The car originally was sent up just for rod bearings and slight knocking (in the back of my head I knew it was blown) and I was told the vehicle was ready the next day and then he came back and said the engine was blown which made a sceptical about things to begin with also was quoted by him saying around a week to put the motor in. I’m sure his work is great like all the people who recommend him say but only time will tell I mainly started this thread to tell my story and get others POV on their experience at MRF and I’m trying to be patient I swear haha thanks again
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 12:13 PM   #9
Mjlevine
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post

Just remember when you're dealing with a place that is basically one dude, you are dealing with a literal human being who is dealing with lots of stuff you'll never know about and may or not be any of your business to know about. It's one of the reasons it's both awesome and frustrating to deal with a small business owner in a niche market - you get the actual person who has the actual expertise doing the work, but that person is not a robot.

Especially if Malek is still doing the work himself, one finger out of 10 fingers on his hands going out of commission can stop the entire operation, for instance. Or one bout of the flu, or one family emergency, or one supplier screwing something up.

But again, I get it when you feel like you're being ignored after spending a ton of money, just trying to help with perspective
I’m unfortunately finding out later that this is a smaller shop which is cool with my I have no problem with smaller businesses Im sure his work is great if he’s being recommended by so many people it’s just unfortunate that I’m currently out of $12,000 and about to be 3 months with little to show for it. I know years ago it was just him and his dad I believe and I understand trying to keep the quality of your staff and having standards and worrying about bringing on idiots to your shop and ruining your reputation but at some point you’re going to have to grow as a business and bring on more staff or else things like this may continue to happen and may harm your reputation especially like I said before so many people are recommending you. My concern is with telling your customers multiple different dates and timelines and if it’s clearly communicated that you’re going to need more time or you’re not sure when things are going to be arriving I completely understand
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      02-24-2024, 12:59 PM   #10
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Send a flatbed tow truck to go pick up your car and your $12,000 worth of new donor engine and take it elsewhere. Your mention of 3 months of waiting has changed my perspective on your situation. 3 months could become 6 months or 9 months. I once went through something similar waiting for a rebuilt engine for my 1995 2JZ Supra Twin Turbo. There comes a time to throw in the towel. 3 months of waiting is about right in my book. Good luck.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 5
      02-24-2024, 02:05 PM   #11
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Malek does have a great reputation but three months with little to no communication is excessive. Per the text message, the 2nd engine was supposed to arrive on 2/9. It’s now 2/24 and it appears no progress has been made. As for the first sourced engine, he should have discussed his concerns about it with the OP and let the OP decide, or at least weigh in on the decision, whether the first engine was acceptable.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2024, 02:10 PM   #12
Mjlevine
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Malek does have a great reputation but three months with little to no communication is excessive. Per the text message, the 2nd engine was supposed to arrive on 2/9. It’s now 2/24 and it appears no progress has been made. As for the first sourced engine, he should have discussed his concerns about it with the OP and let the OP decide, or at least weigh in on the decision, whether the first engine was acceptable.
I still have all the text saved I can post them here if people would like just need to cover one personal info I appreciate everyone weighing in both positive and negative
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 02:24 PM   #13
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjlevine View Post
I still have all the text saved I can post them here if people would like just need to cover one personal info I appreciate everyone weighing in both positive and negative
I don’t think that’s needed. What you’ve provided so far is sufficient to support the timeframe you’ve stated.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 03:19 PM   #14
Mjlevine
Private
Rep

Quote:
I don’t think that’s needed. What you’ve provided so far is sufficient to support the timeframe you’ve stated.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Send a flatbed tow truck to go pick up your car and your $12,000 worth of new donor engine and take it elsewhere. Your mention of 3 months of waiting has changed my perspective on your situation. 3 months could become 6 months or 9 months. I once went through something similar waiting for a rebuilt engine for my 1995 2JZ Supra Twin Turbo. There comes a time to throw in the towel. 3 months of waiting is about right in my book. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post
Work was good, but I sure didn't feel valued as a customer, nor did I feel he respected my time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post

UPDATE
Was told this morning @ 12:57pm Feb 24th that it should be ready TUESDAY FEB 27th
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 09:25 PM   #15
pjk380
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

OP, I hope Malek comes thru for you. He has always been responsive and done very good work for me. I know he is very busy and I agree, waiting 3 months is not acceptable.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 05:31 AM   #16
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

im not defending malek but on a car like this I can see 2 months being feasible to get a new engine put in especially at a job shop when work is already lined up and you have customers waiting for services which have been pre-scheduled.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 07:43 AM   #17
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
im not defending malek but on a car like this I can see 2 months being feasible to get a new engine put in especially at a job shop when work is already lined up and you have customers waiting for services which have been pre-scheduled.
I would agree, but there should be communication indicating that and expectations should have been set that way up front.

The mistake here seems to be that a week after the newer motor arrived was promised.

Overall timeline I agree is hard to predict with sourcing of parts, etc. But once parts have arrived, a new updated timeline can be provided based on current schedule of work. Unfortunately this is where alot of shops fail to manage expectations and choose to spit ball timelines without proper planning / scheduling.

In a one man show, not alot of individuals have the skills, knowledge or time to do this properly.

Last edited by tdott; 02-29-2024 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      02-29-2024, 08:38 AM   #18
BlueberryM3
Supreme Leader
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post
I felt the exact same way when I brought my m3 to him last year. He’s a decent mechanic, but not very friendly and is impatient.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 11:09 AM   #19
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Any updates? Did you get your car back on the 27th as promised?

Also, the first quote for $3700, was for the RB job? If so it seems like the prices went way up.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 11:18 AM   #20
rGTIedge
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3, Mk7 GTI

You guys do know that Lang is just down the street from MRF, right…?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 12:57 PM   #21
Camnyc
wannabe
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI M3

Ill play devils advocate, there is always 3 sides to a story. Im not a customer of Malek’s but hes taken my calls and has provided guidance without hesitation.

Does the op live in the area? Why not drive down/up to check on the progress when you didnt hear back. All good shops these days are booked out atleast 3months for any kind of labor intensive work. I bet mrf is booked out 4-6 months. So your car going in for an rb job (knowing that the motor was knocking - kinda sb on your part and you are partially to blame as a result) now needs a replacement motor, you usually move to the back of the line, or you get squeezed in as permitted. And you are working with a perfectionist, so hes going to want to make sure the replacement motor is up to his standards and then perform what ever services necessary. This unfortunately takes time, and Im willing to bet this is why you took your car to him.

I say all of that to say this, go in person and talk to him if the timeline is causing you this much concern.

Good luck with the build.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 04:42 PM   #22
vitalsigns
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camnyc View Post
Ill play devils advocate
Multiple people here with actual direct experience with MRF have similar complaints. I don't think your devil's advocate comments are very useful, but maybe that's just me.
Appreciate 0