BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

02-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #89
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

eibach makes the springs for GC right?
      02-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by duk View Post
eibach makes the springs for GC right?
i would assume so, im pretty sure it says eibach all over the springs...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #91
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Getting my kit put on tomorrow and will try to post initial impressions. Car won't be cornerbalance/aligned until next week so I really will only be able to comment on ride quality.

I will say that we just put the 430/600 spring combo on my son's 135i with Koni SA and the ride is very nice. We'll see what happens with my car...

thanks!
BC
      02-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #92
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

I'm excited!! Hurry up and get us a review so I can order my set lol
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #93
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Mine will go on tom as well barry.....
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #94
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryC View Post
Getting my kit put on tomorrow and will try to post initial impressions. Car won't be cornerbalance/aligned until next week so I really will only be able to comment on ride quality.

I will say that we just put the 430/600 spring combo on my son's 135i with Koni SA and the ride is very nice. We'll see what happens with my car...

thanks!
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
Mine will go on tom as well barry.....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #95
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Nope. Stiffer springs = higher acceleration = higher forces experienced by the shocks = more wear and shorter life.
With softer springs will the suspension movement be faster or slower when you hit a pothole?

Are the shocks getting higher forces If the stiffer springs are limiting travel?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #96
Andrew 912
//M addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E92 - MR X6M

Quote:

thanks!
BC
Can't wait to hear you comment.... Thank you for sharing
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #97
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep

Just got the car back a little while ago. I'm really pleased with the setup so far. For the $, it's perfect. It is not as good as the Motons but then again this setup cost 20% of the motons.

There are no weird oscillations and the ride quality is very good (much better than my Motons are right now as I think they are shot due to the leak). I think I could have gone a little stiffer on the spring rate as the struts do not feel overwhelmed at all.

I'm going to reserve comment on handling as I get the car cornerbalanced and aligned tomorrow and I'll have more opportunity to push the car a bit. I'll definitely have an opinion after this weekend at VIR. My expectations are kinda low because the Motons (when they worked) were magnificent on track so I'm not expecting the same experience.

Will post up some pics tomorrow after alignment.

Thx!
BC
      02-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #98
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Just got the car back a little while ago. I'm really pleased with the setup so far. For the $, it's perfect. It is not as good as the Motons but then again this setup cost 20% of the motons.

There are no weird oscillations and the ride quality is very good (much better than my Motons are right now as I think they are shot due to the leak). I think I could have gone a little stiffer on the spring rate as the struts do not feel overwhelmed at all.

I'm going to reserve comment on handling as I get the car cornerbalanced and aligned tomorrow and I'll have more opportunity to push the car a bit. I'll definitely have an opinion after this weekend at VIR. My expectations are kinda low because the Motons (when they worked) were magnificent on track so I'm not expecting the same experience.

Will post up some pics tomorrow after alignment.

Thx!
BC
Very good to hear u like them thus far. I will be getting mine alingned tom as well. Not surprised about your comparison with the motons. Thats the reason I said mine are awsome because compared to what i had, these r by far the best. I wonder if we could change the springs alone if we wanted to go with a stiffer one.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #99
M3_LIN
LM-R Whore.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 White M3 Sedan

Everyone who is getting this kit, please start a new thread with your opinions!

That would be great.

Thanks

Ed Lin

09AWE90M: Light headlight tint, Full front end clear bra wrap(Harris@InstyleGraphics), Ceramic tint(40%), Piaa GTX H3 bulb, HID 8k AE, 6k Low, INT Luxer1 lights, RD springs, LMR 20X9 +8, 20X10 +18 (Dave @ Status), Vertice CF hood Ducts(Dat @ VertexUSA), Tecnocraft FULL Envy Intake system+plenum(KEVLAR)+cabin filter covers, Meister GTC exhaust, Arkym F LIP.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 02:07 AM   #100
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hey guys, did the camber plates add any NVH? And are they the so-called "hybrid" plates?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #101
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

ANY UPDATE or reviews?

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #102
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Hey guys, did the camber plates add any NVH? And are they the so-called "hybrid" plates?
Actually I have the street plates and I have zero noise from my suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLzZz View Post
ANY UPDATE or reviews?
I've had my setup for a couple of months now and am still very happy. The car is well balanced and the ride quality is great. When on rough pavement I just set it to comfort and the ride is definitely no worse than stock. On track, body motion is well controlled. With the eibach pros, the rear end would get unsettled over high speed crests - that's gone now. Car really does handle nicely. I've said it before and I'll say it again - definitely worth the $900 cost!

BC
      03-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #103
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I've had my setup for a couple of months now and am still very happy. The car is well balanced and the ride quality is great. When on rough pavement I just set it to comfort and the ride is definitely no worse than stock. On track, body motion is well controlled. With the eibach pros, the rear end would get unsettled over high speed crests - that's gone now. Car really does handle nicely. I've said it before and I'll say it again - definitely worth the $900 cost!

BC
Great to hear. I think I might have to go with this setup OVER just the eibach springs and e36 bumpstops. My only other question is regarding assembly. I remember when this kit was first introduced you had to send them in to GC etc. How did your installation go your mechanic knew exactly what was going on with the edc modules and all?

And correct me if im wrong there is no speed that feels uneasy with this setup?

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #104
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

anybody know if they have an e93 version in the works?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #105
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great to hear. I think I might have to go with this setup OVER just the eibach springs and e36 bumpstops. My only other question is regarding assembly. I remember when this kit was first introduced you had to send them in to GC etc. How did your installation go your mechanic knew exactly what was going on with the edc modules and all?

And correct me if im wrong there is no speed that feels uneasy with this setup?
No issues with the install as it was pretty straight forward. But in my case, the struts/springs/camber plates/sway bar links were already installed on the front struts. If someone has to do that part then I would think it's a little more complicated. The EDC connection is easy to see and is still exposed (you now have covers). The covers had to be removed because of the camber plates.

The only time I felt uneasy with the setup was at the track. I crested a hill at 140mph and the pavement was bumpy. EDC was on sport/stiff and the car skipped/bounced halfway across the track. I changed EDC to normal and the problem went away. Basically I didn't have enough compliance in the suspension and the softer setting fixed the problem.

Thx,
BC
      03-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #106
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
The only time I felt uneasy with the setup was at the track. I crested a hill at 140mph and the pavement was bumpy. EDC was on sport/stiff and the car skipped/bounced halfway across the track. I changed EDC to normal and the problem went away. Basically I didn't have enough compliance in the suspension and the softer setting fixed the problem.

Thx,
BC
Ummm, that sounds like a butt clinching moment!!!
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #107
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Ummm, that sounds like a butt clinching moment!!!
yes it was....kept thinking don't lift don't lift don't lift!
      03-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #108
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No issues with the install as it was pretty straight forward. But in my case, the struts/springs/camber plates/sway bar links were already installed on the front struts. If someone has to do that part then I would think it's a little more complicated. The EDC connection is easy to see and is still exposed (you now have covers). The covers had to be removed because of the camber plates.

Thx,
BC
Thanks a lot brotha. Last question sorry you are a wealth of information lol. Did you have JUST eibach/bumpstops before this GC setup? If so how much better/worse is the GC setup in comparison?

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #109
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a lot brotha. Last question sorry you are a wealth of information lol. Did you have JUST eibach/bumpstops before this GC setup? If so how much better/worse is the GC setup in comparison?

Thanks
No problem regarding questions. Don't know how much I know but I do have opinions!

Anyway, I've had the eibach pros with the original bumpstops, moton street sports and now this setup. I'd say I'm getting most of the benefit of the motons with this setup. I'm not a good enough driver to be able to extract the extra bit of performance from the car with Motons. I believe this is probably the case with most people looking to buy an aftermarket springs/coilovers and so I can readily recommend this kit for most people.

As far as the GC setup compared to just the Eibachs, I like the balance better and it is just a tad stiffer but not significantly. What I wanted in a suspension was to lower the car, improve balance and maintain the ride quality/character of the car. I don't want a race car setup as this is not a race car. Some like the car lower than where my car ended up and that can be accomplished with shorter springs. The ride height is much improved over stock and I didn't want to take a chance on reducing ride quality because of reducing the amount of available suspension travel.

You should call GC and talk to Jay. He'll ask you about how much you track the car, the kind of roads you typically drive on, do you have to worry about a signficant other riding in the car and what you want from an aftermarket suspension. From that you guys can decide the best spring rate and spring length to address your goals/wants.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks!
BC
      03-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #110
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Quote:
No problem regarding questions. Don't know how much I know but I do have opinions!
BarryC, gthirtyfizle - want to thank both of you for posting your opinions & experiences with GC. About the same time you posted you were getting your setups installed, the private shop I go to emailed me the GC details b/c I had asked about camber plates (didn't want to get rid of EDC, don't really want to lower more than a smidge.. def don't want to raise it but just stacking the plates on... just need help with tire wear fer cryin out loud!). I was on the fence since it's so new but your posts convinced me to pull the trigger. It gets delivered to the shop tomorrow and installed next week Definitely looking forward to feeling it action on the track and on the road to/from work every day.
Appreciate 0