BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #1
M3dreamz42
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 DCT, space grey

H-Pipe vs X-pipe - the struggle is real

Hey all,

I'm new to the M3 club and a novice when it comes to motors, exhaust etc so be gentle with your replies/roasts lol. I recently got a 2011 E92 M3 DCT that had some mod done to the exhaust flanges to make it louder. It sounded decent but had ear-piercing drone and I couldn't bear it. On the advice of my mechanic buddy, he convinced me to get a different X-pipe for more power.

I have always loved the stock sound of the E9x M3 but wanted it to be a bit more aggressive, similar to an American V8.

I've since been told this wont be totally achieved due to the smaller 4.0L displacement of the S65 motor, compared to a typical 5.0L Mustang for example.

I pulled the trigger and bought a Macht Schnell catless race x-pipe with ESS tune from EAS (I believe this was advertised on a previous thread sometime ago). According to rep that I contacted it gives approx 25 whp.

Once installed, I found that it was too "raspy" and high pitched for my liking, especially when rev-matching on the downshifts with the DTC motor. Secondly, there was a significant fuel odour that filled the car when stopped.

Moving forward, I was advised to have HFCs welded into the X-pipe to solve the problem of the "rasp" and fuel odour.

I once again I pulled the trigger and had this done as I was assured that it would solve the issue.

Now that I have spent almost $4000 CAN to get what I hoped would be the perfect sound - I am nowhere close!

I have spent countless hours reading through the posts, trying to understanding the benefits of various systems, and listening to sound clips of different set ups. I appreciate that we all have our own opinions as to what sounds the best and that exhaust/muffler tone is very subjective.

Furthermore, I've been told that I need to change out the stock muffler because it doesn't pair well with the aftermarket X-pipe.

Last night I happened upon a thread that was posted by "Tomislav" in April 2012 about an H-pipe compared to the X-pipe which lead me to the title of this, and possibly for some updated advice/info.

I apologize for the long-winded post but I'm desperate to find a setup that I'm truly satisfied with.

Thanks in advance,
Appreciate 1
DL335D580.00
      08-11-2020, 06:08 PM   #2
BASELINE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A few...

Let me help out..

The stock rear section has a rather large helmholtz resonator chamber. This is used to tune out some of the naturally occurring low end frequencies of the S65. That is why when paired to a catless xpipe you are getting a lot more volume but the low end is being cancelled out in these chambers. You'll have to get rid of the stock unit (or do a 2 or 4 pipe alteration). If you want some of the low end muscular noise back without adding too much drone a few options would be a Dinan rear section or an Active Autowerke rear. Both of these also have helmholtz chambers albeit smaller and tuned to be paired with a free flowing catless front section. So you will get a more robust sound without overbearing drone; while still having some melodious tones instead of that dry rasp you're getting now.

Forget the H-pipe. It'll do nothing for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 06:12 PM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Your best bet is to have a listen to the many exhaust E9x M3 videos on YouTube and see which one you like. Then just get that exhaust system.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 09:00 PM   #4
alexvegas65b40
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Your best bet is to have a listen to the many exhaust E9x M3 videos on YouTube and see which one you like. Then just get that exhaust system.
Check out Spencer Berke on YouTube, he has 2 big compilations of exhaust set ups for the e9x m3.
      08-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #5
BASELINE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A few...

Better yet... try to attend some meets or get together with other owners to really hear the set up. Videos rarely do justice... they are a great way to get an idea. But if you've been struggling to find the right setup (you mentioned having already watched videos), your best bet will be a live listen and a ride along. Drone doesn't come through videos really.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 12:53 PM   #6
F3085258
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I don't know if you can get the exact sound you are looking for as this is a small V8 and it won't sound like a 5.0L mustang. That said, You definitely need to ditch the stock muffler. Lots of aftermarket ones out there and as other said listen to some vids and see what you like. I like valved mufflers like IPE or Fi. Choice of quiet or loud. Not cheap, but my neighbours and family don't hate me on cold starts. I agree on welding in a pair of 100 or 200 cell high flow cats to help the fuel smell. They will also muffle the sound a bit.

My set up on my old 2008 E90 was an AA Xpipe with high flow cats and resonators with IPE cat back. It was deeper than other S65 setups I have heard. I got lots of compliments on it.

I just posted a thread comparing it with my new E93 with same catback and VRSF test pipes that replace the primary cats. Not as clear, crisp or deep.

Innotec Valvetronic cat back with test pipes and x pipe
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1747951

On another note, If you like how the coyote mustang sounds check out these vids of my 2011 S197 with stage 3 cams, ported heads, long tube headers, Catless x pipe. It is an animal.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 07:57 PM   #7
m.hlavik@gmail.com
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 competition edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3dreamz42 View Post
Hey all,

I'm new to the M3 club and a novice when it comes to motors, exhaust etc so be gentle with your replies/roasts lol. I recently got a 2011 E92 M3 DCT that had some mod done to the exhaust flanges to make it louder. It sounded decent but had ear-piercing drone and I couldn't bear it. On the advice of my mechanic buddy, he convinced me to get a different X-pipe for more power.

I have always loved the stock sound of the E9x M3 but wanted it to be a bit more aggressive, similar to an American V8.

I've since been told this wont be totally achieved due to the smaller 4.0L displacement of the S65 motor, compared to a typical 5.0L Mustang for example.

I pulled the trigger and bought a Macht Schnell catless race x-pipe with ESS tune from EAS (I believe this was advertised on a previous thread sometime ago). According to rep that I contacted it gives approx 25 whp.

Once installed, I found that it was too "raspy" and high pitched for my liking, especially when rev-matching on the downshifts with the DTC motor. Secondly, there was a significant fuel odour that filled the car when stopped.

Moving forward, I was advised to have HFCs welded into the X-pipe to solve the problem of the "rasp" and fuel odour.

I once again I pulled the trigger and had this done as I was assured that it would solve the issue.

Now that I have spent almost $4000 CAN to get what I hoped would be the perfect sound - I am nowhere close!

I have spent countless hours reading through the posts, trying to understanding the benefits of various systems, and listening to sound clips of different set ups. I appreciate that we all have our own opinions as to what sounds the best and that exhaust/muffler tone is very subjective.

Furthermore, I've been told that I need to change out the stock muffler because it doesn't pair well with the aftermarket X-pipe.

Last night I happened upon a thread that was posted by "Tomislav" in April 2012 about an H-pipe compared to the X-pipe which lead me to the title of this, and possibly for some updated advice/info.

I apologize for the long-winded post but I'm desperate to find a setup that I'm truly satisfied with.

Thanks in advance,

Hi. Try to Google on YouTube x vs h. There will be your answer about the sound. I had actually same idea like you. Would have as much deep sound as possible, without those ugly raspy sounds. As I had before 645i, would be close as much incan. But the true is, it's totally diferrent engine and I knew, will be hard job. But I tried my best, modified 9x to find the way I go. Please don't listen those, who tell you H is for nothing and recommend you buy expensive brands mufflers. Lol. What the advice. I have complete exhaust made by myself idea and the sound is amazing. So here is my suggestion: 1. NO X-PIPE. Go to some shop who work with exhausts, let them cut it out and instead of x, let them make H. Thats cheapest way to change your sound to be wayyy better. If not enough, will give you other suggestions. No worries about power lost etc. I tried both include dyno tests. Minimal diferrent. I will try find the video from my setup and post to here. Not sure, if i can find.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 08:26 PM   #8
m.hlavik@gmail.com
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 competition edition

Here are my videos. its before install longtube headers, but the sound is nearly same with or without longtubes.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #9
M3dreamz42
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 DCT, space grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASELINE View Post
Let me help out..

The stock rear section has a rather large helmholtz resonator chamber. This is used to tune out some of the naturally occurring low end frequencies of the S65. That is why when paired to a catless xpipe you are getting a lot more volume but the low end is being cancelled out in these chambers. You'll have to get rid of the stock unit (or do a 2 or 4 pipe alteration). If you want some of the low end muscular noise back without adding too much drone a few options would be a Dinan rear section or an Active Autowerke rear. Both of these also have helmholtz chambers albeit smaller and tuned to be paired with a free flowing catless front section. So you will get a more robust sound without overbearing drone; while still having some melodious tones instead of that dry rasp you're getting now.

Forget the H-pipe. It'll do nothing for you.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Would those rear sections that you suggested pair with my X-pipe now that I have already added HFCs?
Appreciate 0