BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

07-16-2007, 06:39 PM   #199
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep
Drives: '02 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintenasi View Post
What now? You tell me. You only provided one single 1/4 mile,and then something from the brochure. I asked for more than one. I did not asked for RS4 times, I know them already

But you were screaming like crazy that the numbers tell everything, and still, you do not have any numbers yet. Oh, wait, you got one. The semi-test the Car&Driver did, I accept those, but that's not an average. You should be ashamed of yourself, everybody knows that single test. I was definitely having the impression you know so much more ... from all the big talk you had about numbers coming in about the M3, I had the (very wrong) impression you know so much more.

Ok, back to your number:
M3 = 1/4 mile at 12.9 seconds.

I have one for you too(you didn't bother posting better times for the RS4, just the obvious times at dragtimes.com).

RS4 =1/4 Mile at 12.80 seconds.
Read Road And Track Magazine, Aug 06.

They do have a few reviews about the RS4 not steering the way they like it, then they had reviews about the M3 steering worse than the RS4. Unfortunately for the M3, not all the review said the same thing: bad steering feeling.

In response to GARRETT:
Nobody complained about the brakes as feeling wise, but as performance wise. They said the feeling is great, but they over heat, although BMW made them stop for a few minutes between laps.
I have a feeling you won't be around long once the official reviews and comparisons start hitting the shelves. And if you do, you'll be wimpering like a puppy dog with his tail tucked firmly between his legs.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #200
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3onTwomps View Post
I have a feeling you won't be around long once the official reviews and comparisons start hitting the shelves. And if you do, you'll be wimpering like a puppy dog with his tail tucked firmly between his legs.
Well the first comparison favoured the RS4, so it's currently 1-nil Audi, so we'll have to see on that point, wont we.
      07-16-2007, 06:50 PM   #201
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CSL View Post
Well the first comparison favoured the RS4, so it's currently 1-nil Audi, so we'll have to see on that point, wont we.
Yes, although this first comparison conceeded pretty much all performance favors the M3 and yet still picked the Audi. Strange.

But yes, we'll see. Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 06:51 PM   #202
jworms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3, 07 328i

Quote:
What now? You tell me. You only provided one single 1/4 mile,and then something from the brochure. I asked for more than one. I did not asked for RS4 times, I know them already

But you were screaming like crazy that the numbers tell everything, and still, you do not have any numbers yet. Oh, wait, you got one. The semi-test the Car&Driver did, I accept those, but that's not an average. You should be ashamed of yourself, everybody knows that single test. I was definitely having the impression you know so much more ... from all the big talk you had about numbers coming in about the M3, I had the (very wrong) impression you know so much more.

Ok, back to your number:

I have one for you too(you didn't bother posting better times for the RS4, just the obvious times at dragtimes.com).

They do have a few reviews about the RS4 not steering the way they like it, then they had reviews about the M3 steering worse than the RS4. Unfortunately for the M3, not all the review said the same thing: bad steering feeling.

In response to GARRETT:
Nobody complained about the brakes as feeling wise, but as performance wise. They said the feeling is great, but they over heat, although BMW made them stop for a few minutes between laps.
of course there aren't many numbers for the M3 yet and the one source i have now tested it under bad conditions (as stated) and was still able to outperform the average rs4. it's funny that you accuse me of only finding one source for the m3, yet you can only find 1 source for the rs4 running a 12.8 and you don't even include the trap speed (if you know anything about drag racing you'll know how significant that is) or a link to the article. find me the highest trap speed for a stock rs4 and i doubt you'll find one at 111mph or more. the timeslips i got from dragtimes are for stock cars only. i didn't exclude any results from dragtimes.com, there just aren't other stock rs4 results that i found on there.

also, no come back for the weight stated in that edmunds review huh?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 06:52 PM   #203
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Mintenasi,
You are bright. What psychology degree do you hold? I haven't seen this many heated reactions from another poster in such a short time in a long time. I don't know what we would do around here without you pulling our chain...probably be a bore discussing the hood bulge thing and with a lot fewer posters. Keep your eye on the prize and go for it mate.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 04:01 AM   #204
Just_me
Captain
Rep
Drives: RWD

Quote:
" Originally Posted by M3onTwomps View Post
Because you're a mindless simpleton. Run along to the safety of your Audi board."

Neither do I.
I dont care if people call you names and it doesnt give you the right to call other innocent people names becuase of that. Dont involve me in your pie eating contest.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 04:10 AM   #205
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
no no the new m3 does 0-60 in 6 minutes and the RS4 in 5:59, wtf are these testers on... 4.9 for m3 0-60... they on crack why would they make it slower then the e46. the rs4 4.7 ive personally done 4.4, friend has done 4.1, how the hell are they getting these numbers. and who cares how smooth it is everyone knows the M cars are rough, its called a sports car.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 06:47 AM   #206
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:

Ok, back to your number:

In response to GARRETT:

Are you that incredibly ignorant..?

The Audi RS4 has been around 2 years, the new M3 isn't even in production yet, how would you expect to see as much performance data as the RS..?

By your own admition have stated that the new M3 is a great car and we are all equally concerned about reviews of the brakes fading and the steering wheels feedback. So, what exactly is your point. What is your argument here..?

Do you think the RS4 has better performance than the M3..? Handing? Braking? Acceleration? Please define yourself and quit changing your topic and motiv.

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #207
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_me View Post
I dont care about winners what I like to read is that the M3 is the drivers car between these two. Thats all I've been asking for. I hope the trend continues.
Did you even read the article? Lack of steering feel, a manual transmission that is a letdown .. yea.. those sound like a true drivers car.

Its edgier, I believe the article states. If you like that, with uncertain steering feel and a clunky shifter, go for it.

edit - whoah.. keep me out of this argument tho. I'm just pointing out what the article says explicitly for our friend

PS- By BMW's own admission, the new M3 looks 3 secs faster than the M5 around the ring. Well, the RS4 is also 3 secs faster than the M5 around the ring. So just how much better of a track car can it be?? I guess it can 'feel' better if its edgier.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 03:13 PM   #208
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Where the h*** are all those RS4 drivers coming from?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 03:18 PM   #209
moss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi RS4

The M3 has grown up - it may not be what us true petrolheads want, but it's what the market (global (aka USA)) want. They don't want to sell 10000 knife edged M3's to us lot, but 100,000 M's to the average flabby jo bloggs who wants to look like he can zoom along, but all the time demands that his latte doesn't spill from the cupholder and his donut can slide over the gearshift (actually by all account that may help the notchy shift).

Yep sadly it's a numbers game increasingly with the M3. The bean counters will say 3 years from now - 'told you so' and the BMW board will murmer their agreement.

Yep the more they want to sell, the broader it must appeal and that can only result in dilution of the magic.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 03:37 PM   #210
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
Yep the more they want to sell, the broader it must appeal and that can only result in dilution of the magic.
You said it best. Not to say that the M3 isnt going to be an awesome car, possibly better than the RS4.. but its just a different car than the last gen. Also, a better comparo (that I am waiting for) will be the 4-door M3 vs the RS4. Now THATS a real comparo since it will be more of a similar market. People like me that need 4 doors for infant car seats dont have the option of the M3.

As far as mass appeal, its just like Lexus newtered the original IS300 recipe and made the 350 more of a car for 35-45 year olds. The original IS had a 20-30 yr old demographic and even to this day, you almost always see a driver under 30yrs old.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 03:44 PM   #211
jworms
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
PS- By BMW's own admission, the new M3 looks 3 secs faster than the M5 around the ring. Well, the RS4 is also 3 secs faster than the M5 around the ring. So just how much better of a track car can it be?? I guess it can 'feel' better if its edgier.
do you have evidence to support this claim?

btw, the e60 M5 ran the nurburgring in 8:13
the rs4 ran it in 8:09
that's 4 seconds quicker than the M5.

the e92 M3 is quoted as being quicker around the 'ring than the carrera S which ran it in 8:05 ( source: http://www.autospies.com/news/2008-B...you-how-17504/ )

...that's at least 4 seconds faster than the RS4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
i'd like to know too. i did some searching but couldn't find the forum these guys are all stemming from.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 03:49 PM   #212
moss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm certin the M3 will be faster (in dry) round the ring - if it isn't BMW have lost the plot altogether - however i'm certin it will. Whether the 'ring' really means alot to most of our driving on the open road is another discussion again....
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #213
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jworms View Post
do you have evidence to support this claim?
*Motor Trend Says The New BMW M3 is the best ever*
" It might seem a little too well mannered, but it is faster around the Nurburgring Nordschleife than the V-10 powered M5 sedan, says M GmbH boss Gerhard Richter. How much faster? Precisely 3.54 seconds a lap, says Richter"

And I would trust autospies as much as Vladimir Putin.. next to Richter's comments at least. Who knows, maybe Richter is being modest because he knows it will spawn numerous flame wars on message boards

Thats the best I can do. Who knows, maybe it really will be faster.. but if you say the rs4 is actually 4 secs in front of the m5, then it will be awefully close.

Who knows.. in either case both cars ROCK

Ya I agree with you completely Moss. It appears thats why Autoexpress picked the RS4 as a slight winner.. because it does the day to day better, and has pretty close performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 04:06 PM   #214
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
" It might seem a little too well mannered, but it is faster around the Nurburgring Nordschleife than the V-10 powered M5 sedan, says M GmbH boss Gerhard Richter. How much faster? Precisely 3.54 seconds a lap, says Richter"
The more I read this quote the more I think H. Richter was being sarcastic with his excessively precise margin over the M5. I'm reckoning the Carrera S comparison is the more worthy of our attention...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 04:09 PM   #215
jworms
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

And I would trust autospies as much as Vladimir Putin.. next to Richter's comments at least. Who knows, maybe Richter is being modest because he knows it will spawn numerous flame wars on message boards

Thats the best I can do. Who knows, maybe it really will be faster.. but if you say the rs4 is actually 4 secs in front of the m5, then it will be awefully close.

Who knows.. in either case both cars ROCK

Ya I agree with you completely Moss. It appears thats why Autoexpress picked the RS4 as a slight winner.. because it does the day to day better, and has pretty close performance.
here's the quote from that article you mentioned ( http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...m3/engine.html ):
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor trend
it is faster around the Nurburgring Nordschleife than the V-10 powered M5 sedan, says M GmbH boss Gerhard Richter. How much faster? Precisely 3.54 seconds a lap, says Richter, who adds the new M3 will turn an 8:10 lap without raising a sweat: "I could do that while talking to you as I drive."
he makes it seem like 8:10 is nothing in the new M3. this can mean a few things:

-the m3 is significantly faster than 8:10 (which is already 3 seconds quicker than the M5's sport auto time)
-the m5 laptimes that Richter compares the M3 to are quicker than the sport auto times of 8:13

either way i'm sure we'll get the official times in the very near future. that should end that discussion real quick.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #216
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
I'm inclined to think they are different instances of the same automated response algorithm developed in a secret counter-intelligence Audi lab since they all seem to be poppoing up on this thread with their post #1.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 04:23 PM   #217
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

I don't care about the M3 anymore, I'm all about the CSL badge.
      07-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #218
moss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm inclined to think they are different instances of the same automated response algorithm developed in a secret counter-intelligence Audi lab since they all seem to be poppoing up on this thread with their post #1.

Excellent response
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 05:10 PM   #219
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Well done!
That's the most sane post in pages.
      07-17-2007, 09:54 PM   #220
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CSL View Post
I don't care about the M3 anymore, I'm all about the CSL badge.
Likely won't even be close in cost.
Appreciate 0