BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

Mporium BMW

06-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #23
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

i live in the Continuum on the beach(ocean and south pointe dr), dont move to the beach if u have to drive far to work, it can be a pain... i have to do it every day from SoBe to FIU :/ the grove is nice, just dont get close to grand av, the gables are nice and you can find some nice condos or a duplex or small house there... also kendall is a good area and would probably fit your price range
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #24
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

ANYONE know how the drive is on 821 going towards north to Doral from Naranja/ Homestead area?? Any help would be greatly appreicated...TIA
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #25
m34jlp
Wheel Whore
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F82 M4

it reallt depends which side of doral you are going to...traffic has been building when driving north from homestead the last few years
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #26
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep

821 North, I'm thinking getting off of on Doral BLVD NW 41st Street to get to work, I just wanna get a clue on how much time it would take me every day according to mapquest its like half an hour and I'm only doing this cuz I wanna buy a house. Any other info would be great.....thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 06:45 PM   #27
m34jlp
Wheel Whore
Rep

It all depends what time you are on the 821 at. I would say if you leave Homestead (depends how far south) at 8am you will be in Doral by 9am. It is all timing though traffic can be brutal down here.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 09:36 PM   #28
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep

So you're saying that if I was to leave like around 5 to 6 am I should be clear and there within like 30 mins?? Okay man I appreciate it!! Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #29
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

get wheel locks and a gun....LOL

I know...I lived in Miami for 18 years......Kendall
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 09:58 PM   #30
m34jlp
Wheel Whore
Rep

^^^its not that bad man unless u live in a shitty area (well maybe in the early 80's it was)

tio---at 5-6 am you will have 0 traffic so probably 15-20 min
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 11:24 AM   #31
jlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Homestead has been developed a lot recently, but there's no denying that it's still not that nice of an area. Unless you have some compelling reason to live there, ie, family there, or work there, I don't see why you would want to. Northbound traffic in the mornings is brutal between roughly 730 and 930, slowing to just "bad" at other times. If you are leaving early (before 7) you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Sub-Zero, your posts are full of a lot of ignorance and flat-out misinformation. I'm sorry you didn't like living here, but you should tone down the hating when it's obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 01:38 PM   #32
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaw View Post
Homestead has been developed a lot recently, but there's no denying that it's still not that nice of an area. Unless you have some compelling reason to live there, ie, family there, or work there, I don't see why you would want to. Northbound traffic in the mornings is brutal between roughly 730 and 930, slowing to just "bad" at other times. If you are leaving early (before 7) you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Sub-Zero, your posts are full of a lot of ignorance and flat-out misinformation. I'm sorry you didn't like living here, but you should tone down the hating when it's obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about.
No idea what I am talking about? Believe me, I have plenty of idea what I am talking about...not just did I live there for many years and attend school there (elementary to highschool; graduated from Sunset Senior High) but I still have family living there and several friends.

There is a guy on the GTR forum that just had his wheels stolen from the front of his home...in an affluent neighborhood. My dad had his Vet stolen from our house near Country Walk and I was almost car jacked last time I was there...luckily I was packing and was able to diffuse the situation.

The school system is terrible and geared towards mentally challenged people...I remember being a B student in high school without even trying and working almost 40 hours a week....when I got to college, I realized that what I learned was way below what I should of been learning all along.....essentially learned everything from scratch; Math was especially difficult since I was in a Computer Science program.

When I was 15, I almost got shot twice..TWICE..at the Falls (different occasions), for no reason that I was aware of. Mind you...my family wasn't rich but we were middle class and lived in a nice neighborhood.

Out of a class of 1200 seniors, only 625 received highschool diplomas...most of the guys I have found over the years and that are still living there are either not doing very well or mixed up in some serious stuff. The ones who succeeded moved out of Miami soon after graduating.

In my opinion, it has only gotten worse. All the "ballers" who had their real-estate license and were making money hand-over-fist years ago are dead in the water, home prices have crashed since the level of foreclosures is through the roof (that's what happens when you buy a $500k house and sell ice cream for a living), unemployment is super high and professional jobs don't pay a respectable salary....try to find a legit $100k+ job in Miami and then get back to me.

Although drug dealing is down some, the criminals have all moved to other forms of crime and dishonest business.

Of course, these are all negative aspects. The beach is great, parties are great, women are beautiful...I can get all this on a vacation without having to deal with the real Miami.

Actually, I lived in Charleston, SC for a while and found many of the positive aspects of Miami without any of the drawbacks.

I can pull stats for you if you want to show you where my "misinformation" came from.

*Edit*

Actually, here is a quick crime stat for 2006..compare national average to Miami. Also, keep in mind cost of living, average salary, inflation, etc...

http://miamifl.areaconnect.com/crime...exandria&s2=VA

Another Link that shows education levels slightly higher but gives a better overall picture:

http://www.clrsearch.com/RSS/Demogra.../miami/Summary

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 05:15 PM   #33
jlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry, you can't be taken seriously. Listen to yourself:

Quote:
Everyone in Miami seems to fall into a couple of categories....those who want to rip you off or those who hate on you.
Quote:
Professionals make shit for salary in Miami....it seems that the only ones who make a good money are either in the entertainment business or drug dealers (or shady line of work). which in my opinion, are mostly uneducated douche bags who don't really know how to work for what they have.
Quote:
everyone lives a fantasy life
Quote:
Miami is nice for vacation but it seems that everyone is either a real estate agent, drug dealer or "entrepreneur".
Quote:
No real career opportunities IMO...and you will mostly be surrounded by douche bags and dumb asses.
Quote:
There is no respect for education in Miami.
Quote:
The school system is terrible and geared towards mentally challenged people
To top it all off, you use a few highly questionable "personal experiences" as being representative of all of Miami? Come on. You are making silly, sweeping generalizations.

I have one of those legit jobs that you reference, and I know plenty of people similarly situated. The jobs are there for those who are qualified.

Like any major city, Miami has both good and bad areas. Of course crime is higher in large metropolitan areas. Of course cost of living is higher. That's how things work.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 10:18 PM   #34
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaw View Post
Sorry, you can't be taken seriously. Listen to yourself:

To top it all off, you use a few highly questionable "personal experiences" as being representative of all of Miami? Come on. You are making silly, sweeping generalizations.

I have one of those legit jobs that you reference, and I know plenty of people similarly situated. The jobs are there for those who are qualified.

Like any major city, Miami has both good and bad areas. Of course crime is higher in large metropolitan areas. Of course cost of living is higher. That's how things work.
I guess our experiences differ...not sure what part of Miami you grew up in but it must of been much different than the one I grew up in.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #35
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep

Thanks y'all, one of the reason why I ask about Homestead is that I wish to purchase a home and the ones I looking at for the price are very nice and seem a good little investment. I was just wanting to see what the communte was like, due to my work. Which would be located next to the airport. Thanks again. If you guys know an area that has nice condos or townhouses with a decent community. Please let me know, I am looking to pay no more than 70gs right now. Thanks again guys I look forward to meeting some of you later on.....TIA
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #36
boostedtwin
Sheriff
Rep
Drives: spyder, Macan GTS, 4xe Rubicon

Garage List
07 335i  [0.00]
07 335i  [0.00]
Try Coconut Grove.
      08-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #37
jlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If your budget is 70k, I recommend renting for a while and saving your money. That won't buy you anything anywhere near a nice area.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #38
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

I use to live in Coral Gables. Great safe area.
      08-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #39
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

Stalker, did you do grad school down there?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #40
MAZNG
I found Jesus...He was Hiding behiind my Sofa
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F82

I'll throw in my .02 and wish you the best of luck, too...

Disclaimer: The following summaries are my own, honest opinions gathered from living in SoFla my entire life (with the exception of several years I lived in SoCali while going to school in the 90's).

Homestead: Up & coming (booming) city (mainly because of affordable housing in recent years) but it's a PITA commute/ drive anywhere in Miami (beach, grove, downtown, etc) as you're at the Southern most part of the county (BFE).

Kendall (West a/k/a West Kendall):
Nice area, but IMO it is over populated/ saturated. Takes forever to get out from the couple of main arteries. And, unfortunately, it does have a high crime rate (vandal/ auto theft)...Probably due to the over saturation of apartment complexes. lol

Kendall (East - a/k/a Pinecrest): Very nice, upper (middle) class community that is mostly family oriented. Quick commute to most places in greater Miami-Dade.

Hialeah: Stay away unless you're into traffic congestion, careless drivers, above average crime rate, and a flurry of other issues I won't get into. Same advice goes for: Hialeah Gardens, Carol City (a/k/a Miami Gardens), Opa-Locka, Liberty City, Overtown, Northside, Richmond Heights, Perrine, Cutler Ridge (a/k/a SouthLand), Goulds, and anything with the word "Little" in front of the name.

Miami Lakes: Nicer part of Hialeah, about 10 minutes from Doral. Family orientate neighborhoods.

Miami Springs: A bit nicer than Hialeah, but about 97% retirement population... no night life, slow ass drivers, and you'll feel like you're going to join them soon if you live there. lol

Doral: Was mostly an industrial warehouse/ business district due to it's convenient location near the MIA (airport). Over the last 10 or so years, it has been developed quiet extensively for residential. It is an easy commute to most places and pretty much in the center of the county. In case you're a light sleeper, keep in mind that airplane traffic is quite frequent 24/7.

Beaches (All in Dade County): Great place to live (day & night - especially Southern end in SoBe)if you work on any of the island, but commuting may not be your best alternative and parking is typically horrible throughout most of the beach cities. It's best to either use taxi, bike, tom & Jerry, or Vespa (public trans. bites). Most places offer valet if you're ok with overpriced parking, an occasional ding or wheel scuff.

Brickell/ Downtown: Many new hi-rise condos with garage parking, resort style living and near great night life entertainment. Great real estate deals to be had currently, too. Parking is almost as bad as the beach when you're not parked at home. See suggestion above under "beaches" for other options.

Coral Gables/ Coconut Grove:
Adjacent to one another and great places to live as you have UM there and lots of young college girls inhabiting the area Traffic is easily manageable at off-peak hours and your near almost everything. Lots of entertainment choices and pretty much the most affluent part of Miami-Dade. As others have said though, watch out which part of Coconut grove you search as it's a beautiful city on the bay, but use to house the projects and still has sections that are low-income as well as high crime areas. Not where you'd want to park your new M.

If you have the choice of moving wherever you want, don't have kids/ family to be concerned with, I'd be looking for a condo near the Grove or on Brickell. If your commute is near Doral (NW 41st), you'll always be on the opposite side of the majority of the rush hour traffic and have plenty of activities (day & night) to choose from just a few minutes/ steps away from your door.

As far as your car tag/ registration... I believe the impact fee was done away with or lowered for new residents, but your best bet would be to perhaps have your military broker/ coordinator register the car in Florida or provide the least expensive option for you since you already know you'll be moving here soon after you get your car.

For more info on your auto registration, go to: http://www.flhsmv.gov/HTML/titlinf.html

Last edited by MAZNG; 08-03-2009 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #41
m34jlp
Wheel Whore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZNG View Post
I'll throw in my .02 and wish you the best of luck, too...

Disclaimer: The following summaries are my own, honest opinions gathered from living in SoFla my entire life (with the exception of several years I lived in SoCali while going to school in the 90's).

Homestead: Up & coming (booming) city (mainly because of affordable housing in recent years) but it's a PITA commute/ drive anywhere in Miami (beach, grove, downtown, etc) as you're at the Southern most part of the county (BFE).

Kendall (West a/k/a West Kendall):
Nice area, but IMO it is over populated/ saturated. Takes forever to get out from the couple of main arteries. And, unfortunately, it does have a high crime rate (vandal/ auto theft)...Probably due to the over saturation of apartment complexes. lol

Kendall (East - a/k/a Pinecrest): Very nice, upper (middle) class community that is mostly family oriented. Quick commute to most places in greater Miami-Dade.

Hialeah: Stay away unless you're into traffic congestion, careless drivers, and a flurry of other issues I won't get into. Same advice goes for: Hialeah Gardens, Carol City (a/k/a Miami Gardens), Liberty City, Overtown, Richmond Heights, Perrine, & Goulds.

Miami Lakes: Nicer part of Hialeah, about 10 minutes from Doral.

Doral: Was mostly an industrial warehouse district due to it's convenient location near the MIA (airport). Over the last 10 or so years, it has been developed quiet extensively for residential. It is an easy commute to most places and pretty much in the center of the county. In case you're a light sleeper, keep in mind that airplane traffic is quite frequent 24/7.

Beaches (All in Dade County): Great place to live (day & night - especially Southern end in SoBe)if you work on any of the island, but commuting may not be your best alternative and parking is typically horrible throughout most of the beach cities. It's best to either use taxi, bike, tom & Jerry, or Vespa (public trans. bites). Most places offer valet if you're ok with overpriced parking, an occasional ding or wheel scuff.

Brickell/ Downtown: Many new hi-rise condos with garage parking, resort style living and near great night life entertainment. Great real estate deals to be had currently, too. Parking is almost as bad as the beach when you're not parked at home. See suggestion above under "beaches" for other options.

Coral Gables/ Coconut Grove:
Adjacent to one another and great places to live as you have UM there and lots of young college girls inhabiting the area Traffic is easily manageable at off-peak hours and your near almost everything. Lots of entertainment choices and pretty much the most affluent part of Miami-Dade. As others have said though, watch out which part of Coconut grove you search as it's a beautiful city on the bay, but use to house the projects and still has sections that are low-income as well as high crime areas. Not where you'd want to park your new M.

If you have the choice of moving wherever you want, don't have kids/ family to be concerned with, I'd be looking for a place near the Grove or on Brickell. If your commute is near Doral, you always be on teh opposite side of the rush hour traffic and have plenty of activities (day & night) to choose from just a few minutes away from your door.

As far as your car tag/ registration... I believe the impact fee was done away with or lowered for new residents, but your best bet would be to perhaps have your military broker/ coordinator register the car in Florida or provide the least expensive option for you since you already know you'll be moving here soon after you get your car.

For more info on your auto registration, go to: http://www.flhsmv.gov/HTML/titlinf.html

You pretty much hit the nail on the head on each one. I especially love the Hialeah (and other wonderful cities) description or lack there of. Not worth the details, just stay away.

Tio///M...have you considered looking a bit north? You might find similar deals to Homestead in nicer neighborhoods and the drive to work will be about the same or less...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #42
MAZNG
I found Jesus...He was Hiding behiind my Sofa
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34jlp View Post
You pretty much hit the nail on the head on each one. I especially love the Hialeah (and other wonderful cities) description or lack there of. Not worth the details, just stay away.

Tio///M...have you considered looking a bit north? You might find similar deals to Homestead in nicer neighborhoods and the drive to work will be about the same or less...

LOL... thanks. I actually added to the Hialeah section as I though of other "wonderful" cities/ neighborhoods.

You're right... there are some, well priced, nice areas a bit further North, but the 95 and 826 southbound traffic can get out of hand in the mornings. At least 95 should get better once they make the Sunpass toll express lane going SB.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #43
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdr View Post
Stalker, did you do grad school down there?
Went to medical school.
I miss the area now that I have been away for many years.
      08-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #44
djben
noob.
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 SMGII, 911 Turbo (997)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Went to medical school.
I miss the area now that I have been away for many years.
It's probably a good time to move back and will be for a while -- real estate here crashed hard (I'm renting but am getting hosed on my house in Clearwater).
E46 M3 SMGII : No Sunroof : GC Coils : GC FCAB : Powerflex RTAB : Rogue RSM : H&R Sways : Stoptech 4-wheel BBK : SSR Comp 19" : BW Oil Cooler : CSL headers : UUC mid-pipe : Pulleys : Gruppe M Exhaust : 4.10 gears : 301 WHP (Epic): Recaro Sportster CS
911 Turbo 6MT : Locking Rear Diff: GMG Springs/Sways: RSS Engine Mounts : GT2 Clutch Conversion
Appreciate 0