BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

06-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #23
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

The problem with the detailer is that it is just a temp product. It fills in the imperfections and they'll show up again later. It's great if you do it all the time but eventually you'll need to do some more work.

The act of just rubbing the paint with a microfiber can cause small scratches and swirls. Wiping it all the time with a detail spray and the possibility of picking up some dust and rubbing that in too just means you increase the chance of making more swirls than you can see (or gets filled in to appear later).

Not to say Turtle Wax is a bad product.. but I'd rather not use detail sprays at all. Just wash carefully and try not to make swirls/scratches in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #24
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I've used this for a while on several black cars and it freeken works! Even makes deeper scratches on black cars less noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #25
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
The problem with the detailer is that it is just a temp product. It fills in the imperfections and they'll show up again later. It's great if you do it all the time but eventually you'll need to do some more work.

The act of just rubbing the paint with a microfiber can cause small scratches and swirls. Wiping it all the time with a detail spray and the possibility of picking up some dust and rubbing that in too just means you increase the chance of making more swirls than you can see (or gets filled in to appear later).

Not to say Turtle Wax is a bad product.. but I'd rather not use detail sprays at all. Just wash carefully and try not to make swirls/scratches in the first place.
Well this is obvious..all these detailers have fillers..I mean this one says so right on the bottle..

Agree a proper compound/polish to correct areas is the way to go (if needed)..but I still would use a detailer as it offers some finish protection..and this one is pretty good looking on a black car
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #26
mvillezcas
BMW SD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E92

That's why I said 90% of the time. The 10% of that time you're either getting lucky with a company producing better stuff or it's on sale.

And to respond to the name brand comment, it may be true with other products like clothing, shoes, but not necessarily with detailing products. The most known brands out there for car care are the turtle waxes and the mothers... That's because they're carried in walmarts and targets.

All I'm saying is that when you buy a brand like turtle wax and you're impressed, be cautious because they're probably selling you short in other areas like protection.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #27
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Well this is obvious..all these detailers have fillers..I mean this one says so right on the bottle..

Agree a proper compound/polish to correct areas is the way to go (if needed)..but I still would use a detailer as it offers some finish protection..and this one is pretty good looking on a black car
Yeah... but the use of detail sprays increases the chance of creating more swirls and scratches than there were before. You just don't see them because it gets filled in temporarily.

Unfortunately not much can be done with a black car... I wouldn't have gotten one except they look so good when clean.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #28
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Yeah... but the use of detail sprays increases the chance of creating more swirls and scratches than there were before. You just don't see them because it gets filled in temporarily.

Unfortunately not much can be done with a black car... I wouldn't have gotten one except they look so good when clean.
If you use instant detailers in lieu of washing the car or use dirty microfibers rags then yes. ..detailers are definitly not a substitute for washing the car (if needed)

I personally use as a step in between washing and waxing and maybe a day after... always with clean microfiber rags..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #29
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

Listen all that is true.

All I'm saying is, if you're gonna use a spray... this one works for the black car.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #30
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_M3 View Post
Listen all that is true.

All I'm saying is, if you're gonna use a spray... this one works for the black car.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #31
mvillezcas
BMW SD
United_States
Rep

Oh god. I can't believe I'm trying to convince you guys that turtle wax is a shitty product!
I just hope some professional detailers chime in here soon and speak their mind about quality products and why they cost more.

Go ask Envious Eric if he uses any turtle wax products!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 01:06 AM   #32
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvillezcas View Post
Oh god. I can't believe I'm trying to convince you guys that turtle wax is a shitty product!
I just hope some professional detailers chime in here soon and speak their mind about quality products and why they cost more.

Go ask Envious Eric if he uses any turtle wax products!
It's a car man... relax.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 01:09 AM   #33
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

LOL @ fanbois..okay go spend your paycheck on Swissvax if it makes you happy..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #34
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_M3 View Post
Listen all that is true.

LOL! Who knew this was going to turn into such a heated discussion about using "cheap" products on the car... I get what you were saying.

I like to use McGuiers "Ultimate Quick Wax" spray right after a quick pressure wash/towel dry. Makes the actual wax pop like a mofo. And it smells good...

"Damn that paint looks deeeeeeeeeeeep!" - casual passerby.

Last edited by Erie Von Otto; 06-24-2012 at 02:43 AM.. Reason: random thought correction
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #35
Hershey
CLU KINGSMEN
Rep
Drives: '66 Shelby GT 350

nice paint on a jet black car!! I've been a fan of black cars all my life, I'll have to give this a try
      06-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #36
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Using a QD spray is better than no spray at all. It's just as dangerous to the paint as washing is. Let's face it, no one is absolutely perfect when washing their car. Both washing and using a QD spray has the chance of leaving some light marring on the paint.

The QD acts the same as a lube and lifts dirt. It's better than nothing, and perfectly acceptable as an in-between wash type thing.
      06-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #37
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I've been using this stuff for over a year on my black cars and it works wonders! Cheap or not it works.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #38
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

People have gotten so blindsided by many products on the forum and they find it hard to believe that detailing products from your local Auto store is excellent these days..

I brought the Meguairs ultimate quick detailer and will give it a shot this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 01:37 AM   #39
IntegraXTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY08 E92 M3 and MY15 F80 M3

I'm impressed with how good it looks for something that's easily avail....good results from what i can see!

I'm the biggest name brand whore there is lol, but when i try something out normal/decent cost out and it works, by all means get it/use it!

After every car wash i coat my car with , works well, etc...when i get down to claying and polishing the car i use other products.

Recently I've been using some Auto Finesse stuff and man that stuff is great too, and for the price, it's actually not all that bad!

Anyways thanks for the review and keep that car looking good, glad it worked out for ya!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 01:40 AM   #40
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegraXTR View Post
I'm impressed with how good it looks for something that's easily avail....good results from what i can see!

I'm the biggest name brand whore there is lol, but when i try something out normal/decent cost out and it works, by all means get it/use it!

After every car wash i coat my car with , works well, etc...when i get down to claying and polishing the car i use other products.

Recently I've been using some Auto Finesse stuff and man that stuff is great too, and for the price, it's actually not all that bad!

Anyways thanks for the review and keep that car looking good, glad it worked out for ya!
LOVE that stuff too!! Works very well IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #41
mvillezcas
BMW SD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar
Using a QD spray is better than no spray at all. It's just as dangerous to the paint as washing is. Let's face it, no one is absolutely perfect when washing their car. Both washing and using a QD spray has the chance of leaving some light marring on the paint.

The QD acts the same as a lube and lifts dirt. It's better than nothing, and perfectly acceptable as an in-between wash type thing.
This statement is totally false. Quick detailers do not lift dirt. All you are doing is dragging all the crap sitting on the paint around and lifting it with the microfiber towel. As a result, you are severely scratching the clear coat.
Not the same as properly washing the car. First of all, all loose dirt and debris is sprayed off the car with the initial rinse so you won't be dragging that crap around when using a wash mitt. And even better when using a pressure washer.

The only time I recommend using a QD is right after you wash and dry the car for touching up some water marks. (especially after using untreated water)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #42
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvillezcas View Post
This statement is totally false. Quick detailers do not lift dirt. All you are doing is dragging all the crap sitting on the paint around and lifting it with the microfiber towel. As a result, you are severely scratching the clear coat.
Not the same as properly washing the car. First of all, all loose dirt and debris is sprayed off the car with the initial rinse so you won't be dragging that crap around when using a wash mitt. And even better when using a pressure washer.

The only time I recommend using a QD is right after you wash and dry the car for touching up some water marks. (especially after using untreated water)
i agree qd's dont pick up and lift any dirt. they are primarily used in the drying stage of the car wash process to add more to the car's paint while leaving a slick finish and helping with the drying process. there are products however that are meant for quick cleanups with very minimal dirt that actually do lift up contaminants.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #43
Slapshot9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 JzB 6MT

You don't have to spend a fortune to get good results.... I really don't know why anyone would spend a fortune on Swissvax among others. You don't always get what you pay for.... Do your own research. If you're happy with the cheap stuff, like me, use it! I personally like Meguiars.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #44
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot9 View Post
You don't have to spend a fortune to get good results.... I really don't know why anyone would spend a fortune on Swissvax among others. You don't always get what you pay for.... Do your own research. If you're happy with the cheap stuff, like me, use it! I personally like Meguiars.
I love the cinnamon scent that Mothers has but it takes much more effort to buff to a shine than the Meguiars. Meguiars gets my vote. The Turtle Wax is a little more time intensive to buff as well but the black detailer speaks for itself on a black surface.
Appreciate 0