BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

04-24-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Anyone seen the GT4 Bilstein Race Coilover with rear true coilover design?

Found this for sale by Checkcaptain.
I didn't realize he was running a true coilover in the rear. Just wondering if anyone has seen this and if you need to reinforce the rear strut tower?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
The E92 is not current as suspect to rear shock tower mount failure as some of the previous generation 3ers. It is preferred however, that the car be reinforced for this type of suspension to properly accommodating the long-term impulses.

I am waiting until my car is caged before going this route.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
The E92 is not current as suspect to rear shock tower mount failure as some of the previous generation 3ers. It is preferred however, that the car be reinforced for this type of suspension to properly accommodating the long-term impulses.

I am waiting until my car is caged before going this route.
steril stork, well put.

I had a long discussion with VAC Motorsports when buying my Nitron 3-way coilovers as I wanted a rear coilover set up. The results were that short term there would be no effects on deforming the towers, BUT long terms would be a different story.

The GTS is also a caged vehicle, where the force from the suspension are evenly distributed and transferred from the strut towers to the roll cage, unlike a stock car where the sheet metal takes all the impact and therefor leading to a possible deformation and/or break.

One possible solution to this if one chooses not to cage the car, would be to fab a mini trunk cage and alleviate the loads on the strut towers. I would jump at the chance to buy such cage as I want to retain my rear sets and have a real coilover setup.

Btw, that is a nice suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix View Post
steril stork, well put.

I had a long discussion with VAC Motorsports when buying my Nitron 3-way coilovers as I wanted a rear coilover set up. The results were that short term there would be no effects on deforming the towers, BUT long terms would be a different story.

The GTS is also a caged vehicle, where the force from the suspension are evenly distributed and transferred from the strut towers to the roll cage, unlike a stock car where the sheet metal takes all the impact and therefor leading to a possible deformation and/or break.

One possible solution to this if one chooses not to cage the car, would be to fab a mini trunk cage and alleviate the loads on the strut towers. I would jump at the chance to buy such cage as I want to retain my rear sets and have a real coilover setup.

Btw, that is a nice suspension.
A 6 hour drive later, you could have the trunk version of this.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887666

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0