BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

06-06-2019, 02:19 AM   #1
TechE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, U11 X1

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
118k Miles vs. 52k Miles

There's 2 E90s by me right now, and I'm itching to buy one. Both are '08 models. My goal is a high power project car for weekend driving.

The first is very high mileage but has been enthusiast owned and cared for. Rod bearings have been done and throttle actuators replaced. All maintenance records on hand since new. I'm checking it out this weekend. Asking under $17k.

The lower mileage offer I don't know much about at the moment, but I can say the asking price of $28k is high. The absolute most I would pay is $24k, pending I'm very happy with it's history and condition. An immediate impression is it has not been taken care of as well as the prior, but I can't say for sure yet.

Going off limited information, which is seeming like the better route right now? I know there's no guarantee of longevity, but the lower mileage engine feels like it'd be around much longer and handle more power better. I'm torn, but seeing both in person and some chat with each owner should help, so, more to come on that.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
Seattle M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 Comp Pack

Low mile
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #3
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Hard to say, I'd buy based on condition and history. On the 117k mile car the stock dampers will be completely shot, but if your planning on modding anyway its not such a concern. The very poorly treated 50k mile car could cause a lot more issues in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #4
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

If you are not comfortable with the 52K mile car, be patient. Don't rust into any purchase.

It took me 6 months to find the car I was comfortable with. Mine had 19K and was supercharged already. The level of care taken, records kept and all stock parts given to me made it a must buy.

GL
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 12:09 AM   #5
TechE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, U11 X1

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I wound up finding another E90 6mt with 52k on it. This owner only drove it for about a year and barely ran the odometer up. He purchased it from the local dealer. The owner previous to him is a friend of a salesman there, whom I struck conversation with while the car was undergoing a PPI. He gave me a pretty solid rundown of it's history and informed me the rod bearings have been done. Mods include a challenge style painted carbon fiber trunk, Advan wheels, Eisenmann exhaust with x pipe, as well as currently unknown springs that drop it a little bit.

Given the carfax history, reassuring PPI, and word of mouth, I've decided to pursue this one. '08 painted Jerez Black. I'm pretty excited. The title should be in my hand this week if all goes accordingly.
Appreciate 2
      08-26-2019, 06:54 AM   #6
im4ipsc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 ZCP Comp S/C

I have always gone with the enthusiastic owner and well kept maintenance records

on every BMW I have purchased. There are way too many non-enthusiasts getting into the "influencer" social media game these days. They find aesthetically pleasing Chinese knock-off bolt-ons (cheap carbon fiber down planes (canards) come to mind) and then tout to the world "look at me, look at me" on every social media site that they can get enrolled with. On the other end of this spectrum, is the die-hard car enthusiast that takes pride in the many hours on the Internet and forums doing their due diligence on their upgrades and maintenance items. They keep detailed records (date, material cost, labor cost, mileage of the vehicle when performed, etc.) of all upgrades and maintenance items not only for themselves but for the future buyer. This is how me and my friends gauge a car's worth, not its 1 of 100 rarity rating from some vendor paid writer found within most online and store bought car magazines. My generation has taken the time to question these forums and write-ups objectively. If someone says in an car ad that their car gets 600hp, I question whether it is to the rear wheel, flywheel, or on their wish list. I say show me the Dyno print out in the ad and if you are at a car show, let me see the Dyno run on the windshield neatly laminated in a protective cover. In summary, I would buy with confidence an 85k mile M3 from a car enthusiast with documentation in the aforementioned format any day before I would buy from someone who is touting their low mileage car on this forum while doing donuts at the weekend car meetups only for a 30 second YouTube video to impress their friends and no documentation. In closing, I want to see not only what the modification was but why it was done by the owner. Just my two cents is all...
Appreciate 1
PTRAN314.50