BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

06-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #111
M-P0WER
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 JB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
ohh okay forsure, how about the microfilters?? dont they need to change that out too??
As far as I know, the transmission oil filter is just supposed to get cleaned, not replaced.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #112
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-P0WER View Post
As far as I know, the transmission oil filter is just supposed to get cleaned, not replaced.
ohh the microfilter is the transmission filter? man.... hopefully the dealer cleaned mine out when replacing the oil, the SA didnt even know about changing the trans oil until i mentioned it...
      12-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #113
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

getting my service next week so nervous about this... I specified to the person on the phone what has to be done and also requested the best tech they have there for the service.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #114
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Thanks for this bulletin, it helped me watch out for any mistakes.

Result:
Had an excellent experience for break-in service. On day of service arrival, I simply asked what the work consisted of and they outlined trans, diff, oil changes and it was clearly labelled on the work order. Got the car back in 2 hours and there was a window to see what service was being done too!

Took her on a high speed run right after to break her in after the break-in service!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #115
thepriceisright
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Took my 2013 M3 to the dealer today for the 1200 mile service. I asked about changing the transmission and diff fluids and the SA told me it wasn't a sure bet, and then it would print up a checklist when the tech opened the worksheet.

After it was completed he confirmed that all the fluids and filters were changed.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #116
M3AG
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP, 6MT

My M3 had 1951Km when I took it to dealer.
Attached Images

Last edited by M3AG; 05-11-2013 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #117
SteveWatson13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe 6MT SS/Black

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
1200 mile service

So I went in for my 1200 mile service on Monday. When I talked to my SA about what would be done, he confidently replied " Engine oil and rear differential fluid". I then reminded him that I had a 6MT and that the service manual states specifically that the transmission fluid needs to be changed. He then responded by saying "Hmmmmm, I'm not sure about that, transmission fluids are generally lifetime fill, but I'll have the technician look it up. They know what to do". 2 hours later, he calls me to say that everything was done and that the car was ready to be picked up. When I asked if the transmission fluid was changed, he replied " Yeah the technician replaced it when I told him that you had asked".
When I picked up the car, the receipt didnt make any mention of manual transmission oil in the receipt.... WTF?? So I walk over and question my SA about why I do not see the manual transmission fluid part number listed and his response was "oh they just get it off a line, but I can assure you that the service was completed. They do it for insurance purposes".

Now I have no idea if they actually did it and no proof that it actually happened either. Any thoughts on what my options are now?

Frustrated....... After me specifically asking for it to be done, this is what i get... F**king dealerships..... Why cant BMWNA allow independents to perform warranty service, or at least hold dealer accountable....
Attached Images

06-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #118
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWatson13 View Post
So I went in for my 1200 mile service on Monday. When I talked to my SA about what would be done, he confidently replied " Engine oil and rear differential fluid". I then reminded him that I had a 6MT and that the service manual states specifically that the transmission fluid needs to be changed. He then responded by saying "Hmmmmm, I'm not sure about that, transmission fluids are generally lifetime fill, but I'll have the technician look it up. They know what to do". 2 hours later, he calls me to say that everything was done and that the car was ready to be picked up. When I asked if the transmission fluid was changed, he replied " Yeah the technician replaced it when I told him that you had asked".
When I picked up the car, the receipt didnt make any mention of manual transmission oil in the receipt.... WTF?? So I walk over and question my SA about why I do not see the manual transmission fluid part number listed and his response was "oh they just get it off a line, but I can assure you that the service was completed. They do it for insurance purposes".

Now I have no idea if they actually did it and no proof that it actually happened either. Any thoughts on what my options are now?

Frustrated....... After me specifically asking for it to be done, this is what i get... F**king dealerships..... Why cant BMWNA allow independents to perform warranty service, or at least hold dealer accountable....

I would call the service manager and tell him you are no idiot and that your SM flat out lied to you. If he blows you off, talk to the GM of the dealership or the owner if you can get him on the line.

You can also call BMW NA and tell them about this.

You should be getting an email soon asking how your service was. If you put the lowest scores you can, I guarantee someone from that dealership will call you to either fix the problem or bitch you out.

I would suggest calling the service manager and telling him about this. Then go to BMW. Then find a new dealership.

Sucks man! Sorry.
      06-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #119
SteveWatson13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe 6MT SS/Black

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
I called the Shop foreman this morning to see if he could help. Very very friendly guy. I explained what had happened and my concern about not having any proof of the transmission oil being changed. He listened patiently and said that he wanted to go and ask the technician who did the job and verify what was done and also what was billed to BMW for warranty. He called me back in an hour and confirmed that the oil, differential fluid and the manual transmission fluid was changed by the technician and apologized that the part was not listed in my receipt. He also sent me a PDF of the dealer claim to BMW (attached) and assured me that according to him and to BMW, the work has been performed for warranty concerns.

At this point, I feel that while its annoying that the transmission oil is not listed in my original receipt, based on the claim info, neither is the differential fluid. looks like all the miscellaneous oils are covered in the sublet line item. engine oil has a separate line because its expensive??

does anybody know what the labor codes listed mean: 00 00 600, 00 00 610 and 00 00 662?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW Claim.pdf (61.3 KB, 332 views)
      07-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #120
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

so, this is what my SA said about doing the 6MT change at every 3rd oil change, keep in mind, I'm on the low-mileage plan:

A "full engine oil service" is what we perform when the vehicle shows due for Engine Oil in the CBS data (Vehicle Service Menu). It is a conditioned based service based on how the vehicle is driven. If you do not go through the amount of miles needed to reach a full oil service in a year then BMW will pay for a "low-mileage annual oil service" but your count down in the CBS data does not get reset. It is only reset when the full engine oil service is performed. So based on the SIB the transmission fluid is only changed at the 3rd Engine Oil Service, low mileage annual oil changes do not count as full engine oil services. The next time your vehicle is due for Engine Oil in your vehicle service menu is when you will be due to perform the 1,200 mile break in service again. .
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #121
atombomb33
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 Alpine White

1,200 Mile Service: 6MT fluid not changed

I realize this is not a new topic, but just a friendly reminder to new 6MT owners -- make sure you ask your service advisor to ensure they actually changed the manual transmission fluid during the 1,200 mile first service.

I just had my service done on my 2013 6MT - and sure enough they didn't change the manual tranny fluid. Manual transmission fluid wasn't listed on the receipt and when I asked a question they said "we don't change the transmission fluid on the M3." I showed them the service/maintenance booklet that came with the car (page 7) and they realized their mistake. They'll be changing the manual tranny fluid tomorrow.

So, new 6MT owners, please make sure to ask the question and confirm they did change the manual tranny fluid

Last edited by atombomb33; 09-20-2013 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #122
Time Lord
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Lets say they didnt do it and its 3 years later, do they owe me a man. fluid change?
      09-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #123
NOLA BJC
Fotch it to me Ella!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i Msport

Same boat- car has 23K miles and per the dealer there is no evidence this was completed at the break in service. Dealer has agreed to do the change now. Any concerns I should have? The car has not shown any signs or issues to the tranny

2011 MT E92 M3
(3) M3's- 2008, 2010 and 2011
2012 328i
2015 535i
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #124
NOLA BJC
Fotch it to me Ella!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i Msport

Update- actually the car did have the trans oil changed at 1200 mile service. will have it changed again per service manual at 30K service
(3) M3's- 2008, 2010 and 2011
2012 328i
2015 535i
Appreciate 0