BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

04-27-2018, 06:58 PM   #1
///msheph11
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

DCT Shift Boot

Has anyone removed and reinstalled the dct shift boot? I took it off no problem but when putting it back on, the boot remains loose and I can’t get the clips to pop in.

Also, not sure if anyone else has this problem - but the knob itself has about 1mm of play up and down. It will click up and down if pulled/pushed which is really getting on my nerves. Any help is much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
LanceW
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Vert E92 M3 ZCP

Just did mine last week. It was a pain to get the clips in but it can be done.
Changed mine out for one from Redline, where I glued it back on the frame I had to clamp it pretty tight to get it flat. After I few tries I got it to clip and hasn't come loose yet.
Didn't have the problem with the knob, mine pushed on and locked solid.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 05:22 PM   #3
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

So what's the key to get the clip to click? Just push it in real hard? Mine constantly pop out, very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 12:58 PM   #4
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

I replaced mine with the one from IND Distribution and had no problems. It's an easy job and everything should snap back into place. Not sure what brand you have, but it would seem if it was an off brand than it's a fitment issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 01:28 PM   #5
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrews15 View Post
I replaced mine with the one from IND Distribution and had no problems. It's an easy job and everything should snap back into place. Not sure what brand you have, but it would seem if it was an off brand than it's a fitment issue.
no i'm just talking about my oem boot here. the base frame had came off, and if i just push it back into place, it would sort of click into place, but the click is really loose and it would pop off again soon...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #6
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncheung View Post
Quote:
no i'm just talking about my oem boot here. the base frame had came off, and if i just push it back into place, it would sort of click into place, but the click is really loose and it would pop off again soon...
It would seem that the clips may of been damaged when removing it then. I'd buy a new one and true installing it. Just my two cents...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #7
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It would seem that the clips may of been damaged when removing it then. I'd buy a new one and true installing it. Just my two cents...
so if the clip are intact, it should be easy?

because LanceW mentioned "It was a pain to get the clips in but it can be done", i wasn't sure if i didn't have the right technique or what not...
Appreciate 1
sparayno1182.50
      03-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #8
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
so if the clip are intact, it should be easy?

because LanceW mentioned "It was a pain to get the clips in but it can be done", i wasn't sure if i didn't have the right technique or what not...
It was very easy for me. It took me about 30 seconds to do it. Once the shifter is seated and the the plug connected, then the clips easy snap into place. I've done it several times and never had a problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #9
LanceW
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Vert E92 M3 ZCP

yeah, mine was a pain but I was replacing mine with a different boot - new leather on old frame. It took some pressure but once it snaps in you can tell. It's an affirmative "click".
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 02:19 PM   #10
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceW View Post
yeah, mine was a pain but I was replacing mine with a different boot - new leather on old frame. It took some pressure but once it snaps in you can tell. It's an affirmative "click".
mine seems to refuse to click... probably the clip on the frame is busted...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 02:40 PM   #11
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
mine seems to refuse to click... probably the clip on the frame is busted...
I have the same issue with my Redline DCT boot replacement. I ordered a replacement DCT frame (a used part on eBay) and glued the leather on myself, but it won't click back into place. I have broken 2 of the clips but epoxied them back on and all are intact. It still won't click into place. It seems to be because the replacement leather is thicker than the OEM leather and thus the frame just doesn't sit low enough in the DCT boot cutout for the the clips to lock all the way in. Redline suggested sanding the leather down in the trouble spots but I still can't get mine to stay seated.
      07-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #12
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
As an update, I finally got my redline DCT boot installed. I had to sand the crap out of the leather to get it to sit down and clip in. It's still not as tight as the original boot, but it's reasonably secure now. I may do some additional sanding and trimming under the boot rim to get it a bit tighter still but it's much better. I'm happy with how it looks.
Attached Images

05-12-2022, 02:52 PM   #13
SCMTX
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C, exesE92 M3, F82, F30

I know, very old thread...sorry. Need some help.
Once I remove the factory frame,leather,shifter assembly the "boot" appears to be one piece of leather up the front of the shifter? In the pic above, it looks like the DCT lever and boot are two separate pieces? Did you just cut the OEM boot off below the base of the DCT lever?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 10:31 AM   #14
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMTX View Post
I know, very old thread...sorry. Need some help.
Once I remove the factory frame,leather,shifter assembly the "boot" appears to be one piece of leather up the front of the shifter? In the pic above, it looks like the DCT lever and boot are two separate pieces? Did you just cut the OEM boot off below the base of the DCT lever?

Thanks!
OEM boot is one piece of leather. Per Redline instructions, yes, you have to cut the OEM boot below the base of the shift lever.