BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #67
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
I would personally get the M6, but the reason to get it over the m3 is superficial. There will be tons of m3's on the streets of socal and millions more 3 series EVERYWHERE. An M3 simply does not stand out. The M6 looks like an expensive car, the M3 is a beefed up 3 series no matter what justification is used.

Now, with that out of the way, I would rather drive an M3. If someone truly loves to drive, the M3 is the choice. The new DCT will be amazing, and you can't get that on an M6. Not to mention the handling will be on a completely new level that the M6 with its giant porky ass will never match. If you want to drive, the answer is clear. If you want to stand out from the heard and want to look like you crap money, M6.

And, that's what separates drivers from posers.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 06:06 PM   #68
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius View Post
If you can pay $90k for a DB9, why not pay an extra $10k for a "high miles" 99/00 Euro 360 Modena?

This is a slippery slope argument.
Because the 360 is the old ferrari while the DB9 is still the current body style. Not to mention the DB9 is a GT like an M6 so it makes more sense to look at that instead of an M6. An M6 or Db9 makes more sense than a used, high mileage, no warranty, euro 360. I will get into a ferrari when I can buy a new one.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
If being noticed is your only wish then there is numerous cars which will meet that billing better than an M6. As you have already said it is a poor alternative to even the humble M3 that costs much less. Much as I like the idea of having 500hp I think there is better ways of spending your money than on an M6.

I say buy the M3 and spray it pink, then you have the best of both world because you definitely will stand out. Even in SoCal.
Other than a carrera S, I would love to hear what other cars you would list. Keep in mind the price mentioned in the thread was 80k, I think that you aren't going to be able to mention much else.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #70
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: where do I start?

360Ms are actually quite bullet proof in its engine design, but if you are looking into a 6 or 7 yr Modena, there is no warranty in it whereas the M6 or any other BMW within the first 4 yrs would be covered. All exotics are called exotics for a reason, it's pricey to maintain. Lambo only gives a 2 yr warranty (unlimited mileage) and after that, cost of maintenance will add quite nicely.

On order: 2010 R8 V10
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #71
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 325xi, 05 M3 cpe, 08 M3 cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmotion View Post
360Ms are actually quite bullet proof in its engine design, but if you are looking into a 6 or 7 yr Modena, there is no warranty in it whereas the M6 or any other BMW within the first 4 yrs would be covered. All exotics are called exotics for a reason, it's pricey to maintain. Lambo only gives a 2 yr warranty (unlimited mileage) and after that, cost of maintenance will add quite nicely.
$3k every 3 years for belts and $750/yr for oil changes. Beyond that you are looking at clutch replacements at $5k each. Non-F1 cars can 10s of thousands of miles prior to replacement as long as you aren't a moron on teh 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #72
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will get into a ferrari when I can buy a new one.
Given that Ferrari doesn't sell new cars to new Ferrari owners, I wish you the best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 03:42 AM   #73
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Given that Ferrari doesn't sell new cars to new Ferrari owners, I wish you the best of luck.
Have you ever been to a ferrari dealership? I don't mind educating you. To get "in" with a ferrari dealership they want you to either buy a car for markup or put money down without knowing what the hell the car will look like. You could get a new 599 a few years ago by putting money down before the car was officially unveiled. The 612 doesn't exactly have a long list, if you want a new one you can get one as it is far less hot than the 599 or 430.

In order to get a 430 RIGHT NOW they want you to pay a markup. So you buy one of the new bodystyle cars that they have sitting on the floor for their extra 70k. That is one way to get a new car. Then you are "in" to order a new in the next body style. So you can get a new one, just not for an order price unless you allowed them to rape you on a previous car.

It might also help that my neighbor owns OC ferrari, but hey, you are the expert there champ on it being impossible to buy a new one.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 04:06 AM   #74
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeed View Post
Fully equipped DCT it will be $72,350 Add tax = $78k

Anyone else having a problem with this?

I just can't rationalize spending $80k on a 3 series.

Used M6's are about that price now.

I just put down a deposit for a 2006 M6 with 8000 miles for nearly the same price. HUD, illuminated door sills, an interior thats completely covered in leather lol

seems like a much better deal to me
Enjoy the 6-series.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 04:44 AM   #75
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Other than a carrera S, I would love to hear what other cars you would list. Keep in mind the price mentioned in the thread was 80k, I think that you aren't going to be able to mention much else.
My problem would be knowing the US market and particularly the SoCal market which clearly I have little or no chance of knowing. But in the UK there would be numerous of example but this would depend on whether or not you were willing to go back a few years but not to many.

The only things I would stay clear of would be exotics as their running costs will bankrupt you if you don't have the resources.

But a nice Aston Martin or possibly a 996Turbo, 996GT3 or dare I say that, a very low mileage RS4 which may not be quite as quick as the M3 but on rarity and exclusive terms it should fulfill the requirements.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 06:48 AM   #76
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you ever been to a ferrari dealership? I don't mind educating you. To get "in" with a ferrari dealership they want you to either buy a car for markup or put money down without knowing what the hell the car will look like. You could get a new 599 a few years ago by putting money down before the car was officially unveiled. The 612 doesn't exactly have a long list, if you want a new one you can get one as it is far less hot than the 599 or 430.

In order to get a 430 RIGHT NOW they want you to pay a markup. So you buy one of the new bodystyle cars that they have sitting on the floor for their extra 70k. That is one way to get a new car. Then you are "in" to order a new in the next body style. So you can get a new one, just not for an order price unless you allowed them to rape you on a previous car.

It might also help that my neighbor owns OC ferrari, but hey, you are the expert there champ on it being impossible to buy a new one.
Considering I was looking into taking the plunge with a used 360 Modena a couple of months back, I know an immense amount about Ferrari and their practices. But thanks for trying to "educate me."

Ferrari flips cars. What that means is that they sell cars at MSRP to their most loyal customers and make them sign a right of first refusal. This means the owner of the car at MSRP must offer it back to the dealer as a used car for re-sale before they privately list it. So, what you find is that all of those cars with insane markups are actually used cars. It was recently in the news that Jay Leno went to buy a new Ferrari at FOBH and was flat out turned down.

Now, as of this January the rumor on the block is that Ferrari dealerships are allowed to sell cars at market pricing. This means they can charge whatever they want for NEW cars. Right now market price for a 599 is anywhere from $150-175k over sticker, maybe a hair more. Market price for a F430 is between $25-40k for a coupe, $50-70k for a spider.

PS - The remainder of new F430s are already accounted for through the end of production (August 2008ish?). Not to mention unless you're real close to your friend I don't think he'll be doing you any favors by taking a 5-figure hit on a car considering they get so few new ones annually.

PPS - Your neighbor owns Orange County Ferrari, and you're looking at buying an M3? Surely someone of his stature doesn't live in a neighborhood with those who can "only" afford M3's.

Take care pumpkin.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #77
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

Quote:

PS - The remainder of new F430s are already accounted for through the end of production (August 2008ish?). Not to mention unless you're real close to your friend I don't think he'll be doing you any favors by taking a 5-figure hit on a car considering they get so few new ones annually.

PPS - Your neighbor owns Orange County Ferrari, and you're looking at buying an M3? Surely someone of his stature doesn't live in a neighborhood with those who can "only" afford M3's.

Take care pumpkin.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #78
Jinxter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 M3

Quote:

Take care pumpkin.
haha for some reason when I read this it reminds me of Dane Cook.

08' e92 M3 6MT // Rogue SSK // B&B Tri Flow Exhaust // AA air filter // Mod Carbon Skirt extensions // Amuse Front/Rear Bumper // Amuse Trunk // Gloss Black Grills w/ M colors // gloss black side vents // M5 Stick with IND custom stitched boot // Carbon Firber wrap steering wheel trim // Avant Garde M364 20' (street) // Advan RS 18's (track)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #79
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Considering I was looking into taking the plunge with a used 360 Modena a couple of months back, I know an immense amount about Ferrari and their practices. But thanks for trying to "educate me."

Ferrari flips cars. What that means is that they sell cars at MSRP to their most loyal customers and make them sign a right of first refusal. This means the owner of the car at MSRP must offer it back to the dealer as a used car for re-sale before they privately list it. So, what you find is that all of those cars with insane markups are actually used cars. It was recently in the news that Jay Leno went to buy a new Ferrari at FOBH and was flat out turned down.

Now, as of this January the rumor on the block is that Ferrari dealerships are allowed to sell cars at market pricing. This means they can charge whatever they want for NEW cars. Right now market price for a 599 is anywhere from $150-175k over sticker, maybe a hair more. Market price for a F430 is between $25-40k for a coupe, $50-70k for a spider.

Take care pumpkin.
I like how you reiterate what I just said. What cars do you think they have on the floor? Yep, 430 with a couple hundred miles on it. Is this a new bodystyle or not? Did I not just say you have to go through one of these before they let you order an F430 or the successor? I like how you think ferrari only makes 1 model of car as well. How long is that 612 list again? You do know you could buy the 550 barchetta new by putting up the cash before it was unveiled don't you? No, you wouldn't know that, because you look at used out of production F cars.

Wow you even know where I live and what I am buying! I never said I was looking to buy an m3, been there done that. Owner of OC ferrari lives next door, Rod Carew did as well before his divorce. Sorry but my garage lineup is:

64 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud original RHD
04 Cayenne S
04 SL 500
05 X3 3.0
and misc.

Whats yours? I figured in PA you guys were still using horse drawn carriages or is that just most of the population? Welcome to SoCal little man, talk when you can look at something other than used F cars and I don't have a garage worth as much as your home.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #80
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I like how you reiterate what I just said. What cars do you think they have on the floor? Yep, 430 with a couple hundred miles on it. Is this a new bodystyle or not? Did I not just say you have to go through one of these before they let you order an F430 or the successor? I like how you think ferrari only makes 1 model of car as well. How long is that 612 list again? You do know you could buy the 550 barchetta new by putting up the cash before it was unveiled don't you? No, you wouldn't know that, because you look at used out of production F cars.

Wow you even know where I live and what I am buying! I never said I was looking to buy an m3, been there done that. Owner of OC ferrari lives next door, Rod Carew did as well before his divorce. Sorry but my garage lineup is:

04 Cayenne S
04 SL 500
05 X3 3.0
and misc.

Whats yours? I figured in PA you guys were still using horse drawn carriages. Welcome to SoCal little man, talk when you can look at something other than used F cars and I don't have a garage worth as much as your home.
Oh please, take it back. Make it stop! Your bank account is killing me personally. I didn't realize I was in the presence of royalty. You are clearly a better person than I seeing how much money you have. I will now delete my account as I'm not worthy of posting in the same forum as you. Unfortunately, even scanning your W2 doesn't make you less wrong.

You said NEW Ferrari, not a "new body style" one sitting on a showroom floor with a few hundred miles. Please, back pedal some more. You are still wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #81
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Uh oh, pissing match.

02-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #82
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Uh oh, pissing match.

I hope that isn't the theater butter popcorn. That stuff is bad for you.

I've got the beer though.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 11:25 PM   #83
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh please, take it back. Make it stop! Your bank account is killing me personally. I didn't realize I was in the presence of royalty. You are clearly a better person than I seeing how much money you have. I will now delete my account as I'm not worthy of posting in the same forum as you. Unfortunately, even scanning your W2 doesn't make you less wrong.

You said NEW Ferrari, not a "new body style" one sitting on a showroom floor with a few hundred miles. Please, back pedal some more. You are still wrong.
You know why I like the rolls royce? The big grill says, "move out of the way peasant."

A 325 may be balling in Amish country but my gardener drives a 3 series.

You said I was looking at m3's which means I could never live next to someone of the stature of a ferrari dealership owner yet now you seem to be backpedaling once you realizeed you that you are in the minors and I am in a completely different league.

I did say new ferrari, do you leave out the parts you like and pick and choose what part of my statement to address? I believe I addressed the several different ways to get a new ferrari or a new body style ferrari. I did not make an absolute statement which you seem to hanging on to such as, "You can order a new F430." Go back and read what I wrote.

You can, go get a 612, new. You can also get into a new body style, 599 OR 430 and then have the ability to order once you are "in". As of today there are still 2 slots for scuderia's that have yet to be "offered" or accounted for at Newport Porsche alone. Please, continue to amuse me peasant.

What ferrari dealership is that over there? I mean, one of the 3 local ferrari dealers has more cars allocated to it than your entire state.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 11:43 PM   #84
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You know why I like the rolls royce? The big grill says, "move out of the way peasant."

A 325 may be balling in Amish country but my gardener drives a 3 series.

You said I was looking at m3's which means I could never live next to someone of the stature of a ferrari dealership owner yet now you seem to be backpedaling once you realizeed you that you are in the minors and I am in a completely different league.

I did say new ferrari, do you leave out the parts you like and pick and choose what part of my statement to address? I believe I addressed the several different ways to get a new ferrari or a new body style ferrari. I did not make an absolute statement which you seem to hanging on to such as, "You can order a new F430." Go back and read what I wrote.

You can, go get a 612, new. You can also get into a new body style, 599 OR 430 and then have the ability to order once you are "in". As of today there are still 2 slots for scuderia's that have yet to be "offered" or accounted for at Newport Porsche alone. Please, continue to amuse me peasant.

What ferrari dealership is that over there? I mean, one of the 3 local ferrari dealers has more cars allocated to it than your entire state.
I kind of expected a little better response. That was a little too loquacious without the pithy truculence that you showed earlier.

Now don't focus your attentions on me. I'm just going to stand off to the side eating the reduced fat popcorn and will occasionally interject my sardonic yet mirthful comments.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 11:59 PM   #85
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I kind of expected a little better response. That was a little too loquacious without the pithy truculence that you showed earlier.

Now don't focus your attentions on me. I'm just going to stand off to the side eating the reduced fat popcorn and will occasionally interject my sardonic yet mirthful comments.
Oh man, we are all friends here. I think, maybe I-friends? I guess I should have put more effort in but I honestly am tired today from having to carry loads and loads of money in from the money tree.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2008, 12:04 AM   #86
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Oh man, we are all friends here. I think, maybe I-friends? I guess I should have put more effort in but I honestly am tired today from having to carry loads and loads of money in from the money tree.

Touché on the money tree.:

Lift with your legs. Shouldn't you have some minions doing that?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2008, 12:24 AM   #87
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post

Touché on the money tree.:

Lift with your legs. Shouldn't you have some minions doing that?
With respect to finances, I can safely say, no matter who, no matter how much, no matter when, you should always handle your own money. Letting someone by your tree may allow them to snip a branch or two .
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2008, 02:16 AM   #88
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry but my garage lineup is:

04 Cayenne S
04 SL 500
05 X3 3.0
and misc.

Whats yours?
Sorry to say it mate but is that the kind of line-up for someone coming on to a M3 forum, are you not mistaking this site for theatre lovies with rides.

Though I am very surprised by the line-up, there isn't really anything sporty there. You do need something like an M3 or possibly a new GT3 to inject some masculinity.

Just joking.
Appreciate 0