BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

09-29-2017, 02:32 AM   #67
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Drive the F out of your car and make sure that engine blows inside the warranty period.
Appreciate 1
M_Three90.00
      09-29-2017, 02:58 AM   #68
cliverman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVe46 View Post
While I doubt they will do a preemptive change, it's worth a call to create to record and let them know you're documenting the oil analysis. Then, I'd keep a close eye on noises when it's cold and when it starts to make noise bring it to your shop. Let a shop determine your bearings are failing and see what they say. It's either replace them now or replace the shortblock when you puke a rod out of the block.
"....when you puke a rod out of the block." <== That's f^ hilarious.
2015 F82 ///M4 (Ret.)
2011 E92 ///M3 (Ret.)
Appreciate 1
M_Three90.00
      09-29-2017, 05:36 AM   #69
M_Three
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoChris View Post
Drive the F out of your car and make sure that engine blows inside the warranty period.
Nah, those days are gone. Now I just enjoy it as a DD. I do spirited driving but not like that. I rarely take the engine past 7k on the tach. The car has to last me many years.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 05:40 AM   #70
M_Three
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAKman View Post
I had a ppi on my car (08 w/77K miles), and the mechanic said he saw "flecks of metal in the oil filter." It didn't occur to me that this was not the ideal way to make the analysis, for the reasons stated above. The dealer and I agreed that I would supply the parts and that he would pay the labor to his friend's indy shop. The indy was a BMW certified tech, so I went with that. The bearings looked fine once he got them out.

To me, paying part of the cost of having it done before I even took delivery was far better than the aggravation of a bearing failure or the worry every time I hit the throttle.

I agree with those who say the warranty company would never agree to a pre-emptive repair. They aren't interested in helping you; their only interest is in hanging on to their pennies as long as they possibly can.

Terry
Well, we will see as my technician seems to think this is no problem and the warrantee will pay after he sees the car. I'm going there next week.

However, do I really want to have this engine ripped apart introducing all sorts of possible problems?.... When there isn't any indication of the slightest noise? Perhaps not. I have 36 months left on the warrantee. There's plenty of time for that.

What I will do is take it to my friends shop and go through the motions just to see if the warrantee will cover the repair. Then I will bring it back to him when I detect (if ever) a noise.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 05:42 AM   #71
M_Three
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
Here is what i was asked to pay out of pocket
Excellent post and great information. It seems this thread might have value for many.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 05:54 PM   #72
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Three View Post
Well, we will see as my technician seems to think this is no problem and the warrantee will pay after he sees the car. I'm going there next week.

However, do I really want to have this engine ripped apart introducing all sorts of possible problems?.... When there isn't any indication of the slightest noise? Perhaps not. I have 36 months left on the warrantee. There's plenty of time for that.

What I will do is take it to my friends shop and go through the motions just to see if the warrantee will cover the repair. Then I will bring it back to him when I detect (if ever) a noise.
Here is how this will play out.
1. You will ignore the obvious (excessive bearing wear and imminent failure) and ride it out till it blows
2. You will make a warranty claim
3. They will send an adjuster out to make an estimate, along with your shop of choice.
4. They will realize the cost of the engine will be 8-9 times the value of your warranty
5. They will claim the damage was caused by abuse and over-revving the engine and deny the claim

Most warranty companies ( at least here in FL) refuse to cover E9X M3's for this exact reason. They already know the engine is prone to this failure and won't even offer it. If you get one, I would be willing to bet they will find EVERY reason not to pay.

Do yourself the favor, get the bearings changed, and move on. Otherwise a $2400 repair will turn into a $20k denied warranty claim.
      09-30-2017, 10:50 PM   #73
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about if you think any 3rd party warranty company will pay out $25k based on the estimate of some random garage. I personally have experience with (very expensive) warranty claims and am quite familiar with the process. I have also provided a direct example of an engine replacement under a well-know/respected 3rd party warranty company. If that's not enough for you then you are welcome to your own opinion.

Sorry, but your bad experience with one company doesn't speak for all companies.
      09-30-2017, 11:16 PM   #74
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by carenthuziast View Post
Sorry, but your bad experience with one company doesn't speak for all companies.
I have only had good experiences with my warranty company. The claim process is basically the same for all of them.
      10-01-2017, 04:13 AM   #75
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenau View Post
Here is how this will play out.
1. You will ignore the obvious (excessive bearing wear and imminent failure) and ride it out till it blows
2. You will make a warranty claim
3. They will send an adjuster out to make an estimate, along with your shop of choice.
4. They will realize the cost of the engine will be 8-9 times the value of your warranty
5. They will claim the damage was caused by abuse and over-revving the engine and deny the claim

Most warranty companies ( at least here in FL) refuse to cover E9X M3's for this exact reason. They already know the engine is prone to this failure and won't even offer it. If you get one, I would be willing to bet they will find EVERY reason not to pay.

Do yourself the favor, get the bearings changed, and move on. Otherwise a $2400 repair will turn into a $20k denied warranty claim.
Some don't believe it's 20k.
Appreciate 1
M_Three90.00
      10-01-2017, 06:32 AM   #76
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Some of these responses are silly.

Your bearings are obviously worn and a ticking time bomb. They could start making noise at any time now since they're down to the copper, so if you're waiting for that to happen before doing anything then you're going to be beyond the point of repair and will be in for a major teardown or new engine. Bite the bullet now and replace the bearings with BE's solution while you still can.

Warranty companies will not pay for the preemptive replacement. The only way they *might* would be to (as mentioned above) fabricate notions of hearing bearing noise and upon inspection found worn out bearings. But even this is a stretch and will depend on your warranty company and adjuster.

If you wait and end up needing a new engine, disregard people telling you to avoid any particular source. Source doesn't matter as long as you as the right questions of the seller. A junkyard that doesn't know these engines is the wrong source. I sell at least one of these engines a month from salvage cars but I go through them thoroughly and replace bearings and gaskets before doing so. I sell them on eBay almost exclusively since forum buyers are the only demographic who send the insulting offers.

BMW would charge you $30k+ installed for a new engine but they don't have any new S65's. They're all gone, so warranty companies will assume replacement based on used engine value. Many indy shops will R&R an S65 for around $2-3k. I sell my refurb S65's for $10k. Or you can find used ones for $8k and refurb it yourself. No warranty company will assume the repair value at 25k. Most of my used engines sell to shops doing a replacement for a warranty coverage.
Appreciate 4
Iyzmi802.00
BayE301341.00
M_Three90.00
NoHedge67.50
      10-01-2017, 10:21 AM   #77
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

Quote:

Dude, you're all over the place. Not a great idea to take to a friend. There has to be qualified BMW shop potentially a race shop that's local to you. First replacing the rod bearings is no big deal. That's one of the great things about BMW replacing the bearings on BMW is not a big deal. It won't affect anything else if it's done properly.

Make a decision. If the car needs to last a long time spend the $2500 to replace the bearings. I did. Unfortunately, the warranty company didn't reimburse me. Think about it this way. What if the engine fails and the warranty company doesn't cover the repair. They are notorious for not paying claims.

How are you going to prove that you changed the oil when you were supposed too. You went too long before changing the oil. Claim denied.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 08:23 PM   #78
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep

Is it even worth buying an after market warranty if you're going to spend the money to do the bearings and throttle body actuators yourself? Sounds self defeating.
Appreciate 2
6ixSpd5996.50
Rajmun340413.00
      10-01-2017, 08:29 PM   #79
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Is it even worth buying an after market warranty if you're going to spend the money to do the bearings and throttle body actuators yourself? Sounds self defeating.
no.
M_Three90.00
Rajmun340413.00
      10-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #80
deansbimmer
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Certainly not self defeating. Main bearings are still a threat.

I'd much rather play everything safe and replace the bearings if it meant I had a better chance of not having to worry about dealing with a warranty company over the major stress of an engine failure. IMO it's foolish and wasteful to forego a little now, and suffer a lot later. Consider also, that if warranty companies continue to see an increase on these cars failing, they will determine they're not worth covering and either skyrocket the rates, or drop them all together.

Plus if I have the option of keeping the original engine, I'd much rather do that- especially if you're ever going to be selling the car. Explaining an engine replacement to a buyer hurts resale-ability

(Disclaimer: I don't pay for warranties on my cars since I run a shop and do everything myself)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 08:31 PM   #81
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
Certainly not self defeating. Main bearings are still a threat.

I'd much rather play everything safe and replace the bearings if it meant I had a better chance of not having to worry about dealing with a warranty company over the major stress of an engine failure. IMO it's foolish and wasteful to forego a little now, and suffer a lot later. Consider also, that if warranty companies continue to see an increase on these cars failing, they will determine they're not worth covering and either skyrocket the rates, or drop them all together.

Plus if I have the option of keeping the original engine, I'd much rather do that- especially if you're ever going to be selling the car. Explaining an engine replacement to a buyer hurts resale-ability

(Disclaimer: I don't pay for warranties on my cars since I run a shop and do everything myself)
IF you have the bearings done yourself, and then claim main bearing failure under warranty, they warranty claim will be denied. The warranty company will blame the failure on incorrect installation by the shop, regardless of how much time has passed. I've seen it. Literally.
Rajmun340413.00
NoHedge67.50
      10-02-2017, 09:59 PM   #82
deansbimmer
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenau View Post
IF you have the bearings done yourself, and then claim main bearing failure under warranty, they warranty claim will be denied. The warranty company will blame the failure on incorrect installation by the shop, regardless of how much time has passed. I've seen it. Literally.
I don't believe that is a typical scenario, even if that exact situation actually occurred to someone. At that point it's a slippery slope and warranty companies would deny every claim if the engine had ever been opened up or had maintenance done- blindly citing faulty previous service.
Appreciate 1
M_Three90.00
      10-02-2017, 11:25 PM   #83
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Exactly. I?d rather spend that money on preventatively doing RBs. TAs aren?t that expensive these days and I?d chalk that up to an expensive consumable item on this car.

Those two are literally the only expensive repairs on this platform. If you pay for a warranty, you?re basically hoping your engine blows in order to make up for that cost.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 1
zipper228201.50
      10-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #84
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Hi Fellow M3 Lovers. So I have my 08 E93 for about 3 months now. Great car. Love it. It had 42,000 miles when I got her from a local Mercedes Dealer here in Florida. It is a like new piece and an easy purchased for me considering how little it was driven.

So I decided to have the oil checked at blackstone just as a baseline check. The results were HORRIBLE coming in at 20 PPM of lead. Highest I have seen in the reports listed on this site from many of you guys.

The engine has no noises whatsoever and as an automotive pro for 39 years i know what bearing knock sounds like. This engine does not have any of that. It runs like a raped ape and revs incredibly smooth.

But, 20 PPM isn't something I am comfortable with considering the history of this engine.

So here is the question that prompted this thread. I got an extended 36,000 mile warrantee when I got the car. My thoughts were to have my buddies at a Euroshop call the insurance company and attempt to get the bearings changed now... before they might be faced with a $25,000 bill.

Do you think the extended warrantee company will take a preempted approach and save themselves a huge bill later?

don't draw conclusions about an engine based on 1 oil change/analysis.
Appreciate 1
M_Three90.00
      10-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #85
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Exactly. I?d rather spend that money on preventatively doing RBs. TAs aren?t that expensive these days and I?d chalk that up to an expensive consumable item on this car.

Those two are literally the only expensive repairs on this platform. If you pay for a warranty, you?re basically hoping your engine blows in order to make up for that cost.
+1, agreed.

That's what I did.

The E9x platform is robust and most people pay the money for a warranty to avoid a RB/TA issue.

If those are addressed, only minor items (slight generalization) will be potential costs incurred. I always ask people what repairs they are worried about and the answer is always RBs/TAs.

And if you plan on keeping the car outside the warranty period, then what?
Appreciate 1
M_Three90.00
      10-03-2017, 12:04 PM   #86
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

TRUTH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
Some of these responses are silly.

Your bearings are obviously worn and a ticking time bomb. They could start making noise at any time now since they're down to the copper, so if you're waiting for that to happen before doing anything then you're going to be beyond the point of repair and will be in for a major teardown or new engine. Bite the bullet now and replace the bearings with BE's solution while you still can.

Warranty companies will not pay for the preemptive replacement. The only way they *might* would be to (as mentioned above) fabricate notions of hearing bearing noise and upon inspection found worn out bearings. But even this is a stretch and will depend on your warranty company and adjuster.

If you wait and end up needing a new engine, disregard people telling you to avoid any particular source. Source doesn't matter as long as you as the right questions of the seller. A junkyard that doesn't know these engines is the wrong source. I sell at least one of these engines a month from salvage cars but I go through them thoroughly and replace bearings and gaskets before doing so. I sell them on eBay almost exclusively since forum buyers are the only demographic who send the insulting offers.

BMW would charge you $30k+ installed for a new engine but they don't have any new S65's. They're all gone, so warranty companies will assume replacement based on used engine value. Many indy shops will R&R an S65 for around $2-3k. I sell my refurb S65's for $10k. Or you can find used ones for $8k and refurb it yourself. No warranty company will assume the repair value at 25k. Most of my used engines sell to shops doing a replacement for a warranty coverage.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 02:47 PM   #87
M_Three
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post

Well.. I am not sure if that is correct.. Case in point. I recently had an alternator go bad. Left me on the side or 95 at 2am. Ended up being a $1700 repair. the warrantee cost me $3900. Still has 3 years on it to go. I think I will be way ahead in the end.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 02:53 PM   #88
M_Three
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dre View Post
Dude, you're all over the place. Not a great idea to take to a friend. There has to be qualified BMW shop potentially a race shop that's local to you. First replacing the rod bearings is no big deal. That's one of the great things about BMW replacing the bearings on BMW is not a big deal. It won't affect anything else if it's done properly.

Make a decision. If the car needs to last a long time spend the $2500 to replace the bearings. I did. Unfortunately, the warranty company didn't reimburse me. Think about it this way. What if the engine fails and the warranty company doesn't cover the repair. They are notorious for not paying claims.

How are you going to prove that you changed the oil when you were supposed too. You went too long before changing the oil. Claim denied.
hey man. thanks for the post. Much appreciated. When I say "my friend" I mean a qualified BMW repair show. Like I have said. I am in the car business for 39 years and know everyone in South Florida that does this kind of work. If I had a garage with a lift I would do it.
Appreciate 0