BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

08-01-2019, 06:08 PM   #1
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Had this car for a few days as one of my other BMWs was in for service.

It's in the same price point as the e92/e90's and much newer. I was expecting it to be pretty good and close in terms of performance and comfort. I couldn't have been more wrong this car is a complete disaster.

I have no idea what BMW was thinking when they constructed these seats. They were extremely uncomfortable and forced a significant arch in my back as if someone went crazy on lumbar support to a degree where I could not rest my upper back in the seat.

The new tech is terrible. Try changing lanes without using your blinker - the system jerks the car back into the lane you are trying to get out of. Nice feature for a person who likes to text and drive and not pay attention.

The base stereo is awful, particularly if you have been blessed with the e90/2 M3's enhanced sound system.

The M340 has torque but c'mon BMW the same 3 liter turbo ZF 8 speed is getting old. The trans is good but after the initial burst of torque the engine runs out of steam too early.

Handling is numb at best. Yes AWD but go drive a porsche AWD they figured it out.

There's other stuff I didn't like but you get the idea.

BMW got everything right about the e90/2. They couldn't get anything right with this M340 tho. Shame.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881104.00
      08-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #2
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Seems all cars, regardless of make are headed in the same direction.

I have driven a few cars with the lane keep assist feature and it is infuriating.
Couple that with the automatic brake sensing and it leaves you wondering who is really in control of the car.

Hopefully the older Ms will become much more sought after.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2019, 02:41 PM   #3
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

What an odd post. So you found the seats uncomfortable, didn't like the base sound system, and didn't like the engine..

Seats - try adjusting them..

Engine - It's an M340, its not an M car. Not really sure what you are expecting from the engine. There is nothing old about the B58 or ZF 8 speed. Infact every review in every application (including the Supra) says they are fantastic. If you want a turbo car with more linear delivery try an S55.

Tech - Lane change assist can be turned off, the fact it forces people to use their indicators is probably a good thing given the shocking state of peoples driving on the highway.

Sound system - You can spec an upgraded sound system. The base sound system in the E9x isn't exactly stellar.

On no level whatsoever did BMW get 'everything right' about the e9x.
Appreciate 10
chocstraw495.50
Transfer5248.00
xander_g985.00
tigermack473.50
TimmyM56241.50
alex23642857.00
      08-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #4
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
What an odd post. So you found the seats uncomfortable, didn't like the base sound system, and didn't like the engine..

Seats - try adjusting them..

Engine - It's an M340, its not an M car. Not really sure what you are expecting from the engine. There is nothing old about the B58 or ZF 8 speed. Infact every review in every application (including the Supra) says they are fantastic. If you want a turbo car with more linear delivery try an S55.

Tech - Lane change assist can be turned off, the fact it forces people to use their indicators is probably a good thing given the shocking state of peoples driving on the highway.

Sound system - You can spec an upgraded sound system. The base sound system in the E9x isn't exactly stellar.

On no level whatsoever did BMW get 'everything right' about the e9x.
Maybe odd post or maybe I was very disappointed in BMW's "M" variant that cost as much now as our M3's did.

Tried adjusting the seats for a couple days they were so bad I had a few people sit in the car with the exact comment. It forces an uncomfortable arch to the point where most cant rest their upper back on the seat. That is a disgrace.

I have the 3.0 turbo/8AT in another car and it's fine but in an M variant I assumed it would have more linear motorsport character but nope...a bunch of torque off idle and felt like a turd above 5k rpm.

And I disagree with your assessment as I happen to think the e92 DCT comp package is the best car ever made for the money with BMW doing nothing wrong. It is an absolute pleasure to drive and even to this day I love everything about it. Hope BMW can make the upcoming G80 M3 as good because the current F80/82 was also a disappointment.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11462.00
chocstraw495.50
      08-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #5
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Whenever I get one of the G series car as a loaner the first step is to disable all the new style nannies.

This is a mini m car, not an M car. It's meant to compete against the C43/53, S4/5, etc. Any expectation that it's a full on M car is going to disappoint for sure!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #6
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Whenever I get one of the G series car as a loaner the first step is to disable all the new style nannies.

This is a mini m car, not an M car. It's meant to compete against the C43/53, S4/5, etc. Any expectation that it's a full on M car is going to disappoint for sure!
Hey what's up. Understood not an M-car but rather an M-variant....which I thought M-variant meant something. It didn't. It felt like I was in a base model 3 series with extremely uncomfortable seats.
a couple others
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11462.00
chocstraw495.50
      08-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #7
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

Unfortunately the upcoming G80 sounds more and more like a 350i.

If G80 compromised everything that made M special (transmission, lightweight CFRP components, solid rear subframe to name a few) due to cost, there is literally no reason to buy the new BMW. Even with MxDrive I figure it would be slower than an AMG GT S.

I am also skeptical about this upcoming "Bespoke M model". The current M boss never even participated in making DTM or GT series race cars unlike his predecessors and think that the ZFat is acceptable in an M car.

No M car ever had a mundane transmission (except for E36 M330i they made exclusively for the US ). DCT is called automated manual because in reality it isn't an automatic. You rev out each gear with a clutch engagement at the tip of your fingers. Unlike the ZFat.
      08-18-2019, 01:09 AM   #8
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Huh couldn't agree less. Disaster is quite the hyperbole. I just bought one and I think it's fantastic. Meets the performance of the E92 M3 but is easier and more comfortable to drive. It's not as raw but that's a good thing when you start getting tired of M-car-in-the-city syndrome. I think seats are pretty good, tech is a massive upgrade over E92 (I turned off the lane correction), HK sound is alright, torque is a controllable monster, the engine is a non-M pinnacle, and the transmission is a real gem. It even came with 19" PS4S. Oh and Tanzanite blue may actually best interlagos. . The main downside I've found is that it's a big car and at slow speeds it drives big. I don't notice that above 50 mph though.

I'll write up a complete E92 vs review sometime soon.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
MRAT3D57.00
tigermack473.50
WWM3962.50
      08-18-2019, 07:02 PM   #9
14_deltaM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e36m3 euro —>e92m3

Everything is relative. Compare this to a full blooded M, and you’ll be disappointed. Expect it to be a comfortable, fast and technologically sophisticated car, and it’ll hit those objectives.

There’s not avoiding, however, the shift in philosophy of BMW and almost all other makers of mainstream cars. Ultimate driving machine no longer applies - ultimate performance machine, or ultimate tech machine might each work better.

We’re i in the market for this type of car, I’d look at the m340, but I do find the market it once was called to be a misnomer - this and the comparable benzes and Audi’s aren’t really performance sedans as much as luxury cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 10:30 PM   #10
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

I see the chassis engineers still aren’t being loaned out from the xbimmer development to the sedan teams
      08-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #11
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Huh couldn't agree less. Disaster is quite the hyperbole. I just bought one and I think it's fantastic. Meets the performance of the E92 M3 but is easier and more comfortable to drive. It's not as raw but that's a good thing when you start getting tired of M-car-in-the-city syndrome. I think seats are pretty good, tech is a massive upgrade over E92 (I turned off the lane correction), HK sound is alright, torque is a controllable monster, the engine is a non-M pinnacle, and the transmission is a real gem. It even came with 19" PS4S. Oh and Tanzanite blue may actually best interlagos. .
First off, I LOVE the color of your car. Nice job on that. Second, I agree with your assessment. I drove a M340 at the M town event. I thought it was fantastic. I was thinking to myself why someone would want an M3/4, particularly if they had no intention of tracking it. It's a really good car, IMO. It's about perfect for street driving. Now, I'm not saying I like it better than my e92 M3. It's a different car. My car has almost no options. It's got a manual. It's got a high revving V8 with low torque. It's pretty analogue compared with the most recent 3 series.

As a result, I could EASILY see justifying the e92 M3 as a weekender and the M340 as the daily.
Appreciate 1
WWM3962.50
      08-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #12
Richbot
Major General
Rep

I don't get the disappointment - non-M BMW sedans have been meh since...forever. They have good basic bones but my F34, E46, E36...all just sortof...ok stock. The M340 is of its time, and the times are absurdly overpowered with lots of grip and the SUV's get all the development dollars. I find even the basic Xbimmers to feel much more sorted than any current or F-chassis sedan short of the M's. Soft and civilized suspension doesn't have to feel wayward when pushed and that's the trick BMW is missing with the M-light cars IMO - stiff without the body control, soft without the comfort, very much like early 2010's AMG's -

I INSTALLED LARGE TIRES AND BRAKES AND ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?! Excuse me BMW sir, this is arby's

Last edited by Richbot; 08-19-2019 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #13
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
I don't get the disappointment - non-M BMW sedans have been meh since...forever. They have good basic bones but my F34, E46, E36...all just sortof...ok stock. The M340 is of its time, and the times are absurdly overpowered with lots of grip and the SUV's get all the development dollars. I find even the basic Xbimmers to feel much more sorted than any current or F-chassis sedan short of the M's. Soft and civilized suspension doesn't have to feel wayward when pushed and that's the trick BMW is missing with the M-light cars IMO - stiff without the body control, soft without the comfort, very much like early 2010's AMG's -

I INSTALLED LARGE TIRES AND BRAKES AND ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?! Excuse me BMW sir, this is arby's
Chassis is far better than F30 and really does hit an M-lite model well. Adaptive suspension is either comfort or sport and in sport mode it is more comfortable than E92 M3 ZCP EDC in normal (mid) and handles about the same. I hardly ever drive my ZCP in EDC sport because it's pretty stiff for the street. I've been whipping corners in the M340i generally faster than the M3 and without significantly (or any?) more body roll when compared to EDC normal. I did an aggressive on-throttle 180 degree sideways U-turn yesterday while taking my friend for a joyride and other than a little AWD steering corruption it wasn't drastically different than doing it in my M3 except of course it hooked up fast once straightened out. Don't forget it comes with rear LSD standard in both RWD and xDrive.

So my point is, M340i is a different breed non-M 3 series. Unless you've driven it and driven aggressively, you can't really compare it to prior 3 series. It's closer in performance to our E9x M3s than you'd think. It just lacks some of the emotional side of the experience but even that is better than any stock non-M BMW that came before.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 06:11 PM   #14
Richbot
Major General
Rep

handles about the same...ok we’re going to have to agree to disagree
      08-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #15
Millie
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a bmw.

Not a fan of this over the E9X model for rawnessness, but the power bump in the I6 will make its way into the X3M40i which I've been eyeing. My ideal garage is a new X3M40i and DCT E90 M3.
2009 SG E92 DCT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:23 PM   #16
Transfer
Major General
Rep

My writeup: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1651973
Lots more to talk about with this one but I got tired of typing. It's a different car than the M3 but has a lot of upsides and advantages as a pure DD.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 07:37 AM   #17
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
handles about the same...ok we’re going to have to agree to disagree
Yeah, that was a good one! I thought he was trolling for a second.

i'm not going to bother posting a coherent thought out response because it doesn't deserve one.

No, I haven't driven one. I am still 100% right.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 11:00 AM   #18
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

My (gone now) 2018 F80 ZCP manual stripper is still to this date the best BMW M car I've ever owned. No annoying tech, ultra hardcore and focused.... and SO MUCH freaking fun every day. To call that specific spec (doubt you've driven one) a disappointment is ignorance talking, at best, and so I'll let you slide. A base F8X yes, not very good. And the DCT really detracts from this platform. And, the early cars not very good. And the M4 feels and drives big. So, you need to drive a late model, ZCP manual M3. Trust me.

Now, I will agree that all the 'optional' tech is super annoying. No question. Just disable it and move on.

Next, you're drinking the kool-aide if you think an "M" variant is anything like an M-car. Not that the M340 isn't necessarily good or even awesome, but it's not an M car, good or bad.

Finally, I would agree that from an emotional standpoint, the E9XM beats the newer cars, no doubt, but to call it perfect is really, really ridiculous. No M car ever made is anywhere near perfect. Every one has its pros and cons.

Current - 2022 540XI M Sport, BSM/Black
Sold - many M3s and an M4

Last edited by EricSMG; 09-21-2019 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 12:17 PM   #19
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
My (gone now) 2018 F80 ZCP manual stripper is still to this date the best BMW M car I've ever owned. No annoying tech, ultra hardcore and focused.... and SO MUCH freaking fun every day. To call that specific spec (doubt you've driven one) a disappointment is ignorance talking, at best, and so I'll let you slide. A base F8X yes, not very good. And the DCT really detracts from this platform. And, the early cars not very good. And the M4 feels and drives big. So, you need to drive a late model, ZCP manual M3. Trust me.

Now, I will agree that all the 'optional' tech is super annoying. No question. Just disable it and move on.

Next, you're drinking the kool-aide if you think an "M" variant is anything like an M-car. Not that the M340 isn't necessarily good or even awesome, but it's not an M car, good or bad.

Finally, I would agree that from an emotional standpoint, the E9XM beats the newer cars, no doubt, but to call it perfect is really, really ridiculous. No M car ever made is anywhere near perfect. Every one has its pros and cons.
And why is it ridiculous? Do you even know me or my perspective or understand all the cars I get to drive and race?

For the money, the e92 M3 DCT ZCP is the greatest car ever made. Period. Just my opinion though and if you disagree terrific say why but calling another person's views "ridiculous" demonstrates ignorance.
a couple others
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11462.00
chocstraw495.50
      10-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #20
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
And why is it ridiculous? Do you even know me or my perspective or understand all the cars I get to drive and race?

For the money, the e92 M3 DCT ZCP is the greatest car ever made. Period. Just my opinion though and if you disagree terrific say why but calling another person's views "ridiculous" demonstrates ignorance.
Don't care too much about the M340 but always found your solid appreciation for the E9xM interesting, given your experience from racing other cars. Which I don't have, so I'll take your word for it and keep my old lady...
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2019, 07:56 AM   #21
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
IMO, I think we've just about gotten to a point where an argument can be made that M cars are irrelevant for street driving in 98% of roads in the US. Unless you have a death wish or live in one of the very rare areas in the US where you can really push the M chassis, a well driven M340 won't be much slower than an M3. I'm a bit concerned about the streetability of the upcoming M3 based on my experience with the X3M.

The biggest negative to the M340, for me, is the lack of a manual. And for that reason only, I'd opt for an M3/4 (if rumors end up being true).
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #22
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
IMO, I think we've just about gotten to a point where an argument can be made that M cars are irrelevant for street driving in 98% of roads in the US. Unless you have a death wish or live in one of the very rare areas in the US where you can really push the M chassis, a well driven M340 won't be much slower than an M3. I'm a bit concerned about the streetability of the upcoming M3 based on my experience with the X3M.

The biggest negative to the M340, for me, is the lack of a manual. And for that reason only, I'd opt for an M3/4 (if rumors end up being true).
The difference in precision and feel is still there.

Drive a 330Ci in anger and it's clear it's way too powerful for 'normal driving'. But then you drive an era appropriate E46M3 at the exact same speeds and it feels 36x more engaging.

Cars being 'fast enough' is not new. In a Mini Cooper S one can easily do 100mph in parkways limited to 45... that doesn't change how different the real M car is to the pedestrian version.

People have been able to have 400 HP 335s since 2007 and the E9X 335. I've done back to backs with one of those and my E46M3 years ago and I found the 335 to be a snoozefest. Surprisingly the owner of the tuned 335i couldn't believe how much better the E46M felt.

That's certainly a good thing about these new mini 'm' cars. People who think 'they're about the same thing' can now buy those and leave the real 'M' cars to people who understand the difference between a 800hp 335 and a 350hp E46M3.
Appreciate 1