BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-15-2019, 08:23 PM   #1
ccdre
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

Since BAT does not act as an escrow, how is the sale price enforced? If I bid and win a car on BAT, is the seller obligated to honor the winning bid? What prevents him from saying that wheels or accessories weren't included in price and ask for additional $$?

What if the condition of the car won changed and now has new scratches or mechanical issues?

Can the seller change his mind completely and just keep the car?

All of these are just hypothetical questions, I've been drooling over some cars on BAT but don't quite understand what happens after the auction ends besides just exchange of contact info between buyer and seller.

Thanks!

-Dre
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2019, 09:28 PM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Send a message via AIM to amrazM
BAT connects the car and the seller, Iíve gotten a car from there the transaction was done in person and as a gentlemanís rule the selling price is the selling price. Usually with BAT the cars are true to form and the ads are usually very accurate.
Appreciate 1
ccdre205.50

08-15-2019, 09:36 PM   #3
mgmarsh39
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

I sold a car on BaT a couple years ago. The deal went very smooth and BaT was helpful throughout. The buyer wired me the money, and I overnighted the title. From there they arranged transportation of the car.

IIRC, the buyer has to put up like 5% on a credit card up to $5,000 or some amount. It's in the FAQ. So if they don't buy the car, they are out money regardless. BaT also black lists them if they don't complete the transaction.

08-15-2019, 11:06 PM   #4
ccdre
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmarsh39 View Post
I sold a car on BaT a couple years ago. The deal went very smooth and BaT was helpful throughout. The buyer wired me the money, and I overnighted the title. From there they arranged transportation of the car.

IIRC, the buyer has to put up like 5% on a credit card up to $5,000 or some amount. It's in the FAQ. So if they don't buy the car, they are out money regardless. BaT also black lists them if they don't complete the transaction.
That makes sense, so there is some level of financial commitment to follow through with the transaction.

I appreciate the feedback!
Appreciate 1
mgmarsh39101.50

08-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #5
JRF
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 MT '12 M3 E92 ZCP MT

BaT

i bought a car on BaT earlier this year, sight unseen. as soon as you bid, BaT will charge your cc on file 5% of the bid.

to a large extent it is the honor system. after the winning the auction, the buyer provided me a scan of a signed bill of sale, the title, and his driver's license.

i then wired him the money and had a transport show up at his house to pick up the car. It went very smoothly..... but there is certainly some risk.

i'm a big fan of BaT and intend to sell a car on their site next Summer.
Appreciate 1
ccdre205.50

08-16-2019, 09:39 PM   #6
marc6SPD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF View Post
i bought a car on BaT earlier this year, sight unseen. as soon as you bid, BaT will charge your cc on file 5% of the bid.

to a large extent it is the honor system. after the winning the auction, the buyer provided me a scan of a signed bill of sale, the title, and his driver's license.

i then wired him the money and had a transport show up at his house to pick up the car. It went very smoothly..... but there is certainly some risk.

i'm a big fan of BaT and intend to sell a car on their site next Summer.
Same here. I bought a car on BaT a couple of months ago and followed the same exact process. It went very smooth. The community on BaT is pretty knowledgeable about specific cars which is helpful when you want buy one and can see all the questions others are asking or pointing out potential issues. Very happy with my experience.
Appreciate 0