BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

07-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
Rainer M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, 2018 X5 35D

Throttle actuators 484 dollar a piece

Just a heads up.

FCP Euro has the throttle actuators made from VDO in stock for 509 dollar a piece.
With the 5. % off it comes to 484 a piece.
Free shipping included.
I just ordered two of them to swap them out.
The original BMW run for 629 dollar at the moment if you prefer those.
This is on 07/11/2018.

I am not working for them. It's just that I was ready to order the bmw throttle actuators and then found the VDO brand being in stock again. They where out of stock for a while

Rainer
Appreciate 5
SYT_Shadow11468.50
last1left175.00
Abdul1037.50
vincE92M3564.00
      07-11-2018, 09:04 PM   #2
last1left
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer M View Post
Just a heads up.

FCP Euro has the throttle actuators made from VDO in stock for 509 dollar a piece.
Free shipping included.
This is on 07/11/2018.

I am not working for them. It's just that I was ready to order the bmw throttle actuators and then found the VDO brand being in stock again. They where out of stock for a while

Rainer
Are yours bad? Good deal though thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #3
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thank you for the info. Where is the 5% off code?
      07-12-2018, 08:33 AM   #4
Rainer M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by last1left View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer M View Post
Just a heads up.

Free shipping included.
This is on 07/11/2018.

Rainer
Are yours bad? Good deal though thanks.
Well my car is at 75.000 miles now.
I do have a weird little sensation right around 2 to 3 k revs during acceleration since I have the car with 32k.
It didn't really got any worse but no one could really point what the problem is. At some point a new gearbox was installed (warranty) and this didn't help either. That is if they relay put a new box in. I don't trust the stealers at all but that's a different story.

So when I replaced a few weeks ago my tank breather valve I looked at the throttles.
I noticed that when I move them by hand that the linkage makes a high pitch sound like a door hinge that is dry. I decided to remove the linkage to clean and lubricate them. I used the krytox for this.

When I had the throttle actuator disconnected from the throttle I moved them by hand also.
I noticed that one activator is not returning to "home" when I slowly let it go back. It got stuck at a certain position. I could easily push it over this point to go all the way back, so my guess is that the springs in the throttles would help getting back home.

Nonetheless, that shouldn't be the case and I guess that's a sign of worn out gears.
I drive sometimes 200 or 300 miles to work and my car just needs to perform. I do t want to risk a limo (limp) mode when I am so far from home.
I started looking into getting two of the actuators and I was ready to pull the trigger at fcp euro for the bmw brand for 629 a piece. The VDO brand was out of stock when suddenly they came back.
For me a no brainer since it is the same manufacturer and backed by their warranty.

My plan is to replace both of them.
I will keep the old two in case for trouble shooting in the future. They are working and throw no codes.
Could even be that the one sticking (sometimes) just needs a cleaning and perhaps lubrication?

And, I am very interested to see if this changes this weird sensation I have around the mentioned revs right between the gearshift from 2nd to3rd.
The sensation is still there in higher gears but way less prone, way less. Hence my hunch that it is rev related.

I should get them next week, if anyone would need a loaner actuator in the north Bay Area let me know. I can help with that.

Rainer
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 06:49 PM   #5
Rainer M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timujin View Post
Thank you for the info. Where is the 5% off code?
They had a code running for a while.

I placed my actuators in the shopping cart and left them there for a few days.
Then I got a mail with the 5% off code if I decide to buy.

I will see f my code still works or if his is a one time thing.

Edit.
I checked and the code still works.
I hope it is ok to share.

Should t be too hard to google a valid code but here is one
PTGHJTR172

This worked at the time I write this.
I am not sure if it is a one time code.

So first come first serve.

Rainer
Appreciate 1
Timujin351.50
      07-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #6
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Thanks for sharing, good price indeed!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 06:31 AM   #7
Abdul
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E39 M5/E92 M3/E60 M5/F80 M3

Just wanted to shed some light on this. I really don't want to go back and forth regarding what's better and what's not.

We all know that the OEM/VDO design for the Throttle Actuator is total garbage. I've sold over 185 units in the last 3 months. even though I appreciate the business but that's ridiculous! How bad are these damn things? I've had ///M owners with as low as 23k miles buy units from me. 23k miles! On an average, the miles were ranged from 40k to 55k. Highest I'vs seen was 121k miles. Majority of them were already opened up and upgraded to newer gears by the owners only to fail again after a few months. So changing just the gears is not a very good place to invest hard earned money. Don't do it.

The design flaw is not just in the gears. The design flaw is in almost every electrical component on the circuit board. The components are graded for very low temperatures. Of course, this ends up frying the motor as well. The design flaw is almost similar to the electrical components on the chronic water pumps on the BMW turbo cars. (May start rebuilding these in the near future since nobody has done it yet). Just ask any turbo owner how frustrating those are.

We pretty much unanimously have agreed that the OEM design for the RB's is flawed. Hence, it doesn't matter if someone provides a lifetime warranty on them, we won't buy them due to their design flaw and will look for other options. So why are we interested in an OEM/VDO throttle actuator that we all unanimously agree has many design flaws?

P.S. Thinking outside the box, it might be a neat idea to buy new units, open them up, upgrade all the materials inside of them, including the circuit board, and then sell them. But would it really be worth it for the price at that point? What would be the difference between that unit and a used unit we do a complete rebuild of that would cost much less than an upgraded new OEM unit? Still thinking.....

Finally, please don't make this a xyz vs xyz discussion. Everyone should have the freedom of purchasing whatever they want from wherever they want. But we have a duty to highlight facts for the ///M family.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34450.00
      07-13-2018, 07:51 AM   #8
Rainer M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Finally, please don't make this a xyz vs xyz discussion. Everyone should have the freedom of purchasing whatever they want from wherever they want. But we have a duty to highlight facts for the ///M family.[/QUOTE]

YOU just made it a discussion about yyy Versus xxx by stating that yyy (BMW) is baaaaad and xxx (yours) is great
Appreciate 1
Iyzmi802.00