BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

01-20-2022, 05:00 PM   #1
mettaxa
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Having issues with DME update

Hello all,

My 2008 M3 has been having a strange issue: the car runs and drives perfectly however upon a few minutes of idling (once fully warmed up) the car goes into limp mode. Limp mode goes away after turning the car off and on again if I drive right away and returns once idling again. Fault codes point to a cylinder 1 misfire.

After extensive diagnosis (checking all plugs, coils, compression etc) a local reputable shop I'm working with thinks that the issue lies within the DME, and they seem to think an update will solve the issue. The problem however, is that a few years ago I swapped out my original heated seats with a new set of non heated seats, so the incorrect modules of the non-heated seats are interfering with the car's computer, and ultimately not allowing the DME to be updated.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?
Is there any way to code out the incorrect modules so that the DME can be updated? If so, is there anyone in the Seattle region able to do this as a service?

Thanks,
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      01-20-2022, 05:41 PM   #2
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

What shop are you currently working with?

To be crystal clear- you swapped the coil from cylinder 1 to another cylinder and the misfire did not follow?

As far as the coding question- no idea who can do it locally, but I would imagine you'd be able to find someone who can do the coding changes remotely.

Might also consider asking the question in the NW forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 06:50 PM   #3
mettaxa
Rep

drwanekl -

Shop is Strictly BMW in Bellevue.

Correct - code did not follow to other cylinders when we swapped coils/plugs. They even did a compression test to check if the motor is healthy thus leading them to believe it is a DME issue.

Will also post in the regional forum!

Thanks for reply.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      01-21-2022, 12:37 PM   #4
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mettaxa View Post

The problem however, is that a few years ago I swapped out my original heated seats with a new set of non heated seats, so the incorrect modules of the non-heated seats are interfering with the car's computer, and ultimately not allowing the DME to be updated.
It is very hard to imagine any scenario in which the replacement of a seat or the incorrect coding of a seat module would specifically influence your ability to program or code the DME.

Is this really what your Indy is telling you?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:42 PM   #5
drwankel
Major
Rep

Is the car modded at all?

I've used strictly before- but there are limits to the kind of work I'd be throwing their way.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:44 PM   #6
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
It is very hard to imagine any scenario in which the replacement of a seat or the incorrect coding of a seat module would specifically influence your ability to program or code the DME.

I'd imagine that strictly wants to do a complete integration level update, and if the vehicle order isnt matching what is actually in the car- it may not work correctly. I can't see them only doing a DME update based on previous experience with them.

They basically act like cheaper dealership service, rather than a shop that deals with modded cars or anything outside of how a dealership tech would act.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:53 PM   #7
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Is there any way to code out the incorrect modules so that the DME can be updated?
Might be worth a call or a P.M. to Mike BPMSport IF anyone might know how to fix it.. that would be Mike Benvo..
https://www.bpmsport.com/
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2022, 01:39 PM   #8
drwankel
Major
Rep

What I think needs to happen is the vehicle order needs to be updated to remove this option and any offending modules need to be default coded. This can be done in NCS expert.

I have the tooling to do this, and am local, but am basically a n00b when it comes to the dark world of coding. I could probably figure it out on my own car- but wouldn't be confident enough (yet) to do it on someone else's car.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 01:45 PM   #9
drwankel
Major
Rep

Also heres the thread with the proceedure to do the DME update without doing the entire integration level update- which again is probably the answer if you dont want to get the coding corrected.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...highlight=241e

The reservation most people would have about doing this- is these modules are tested to work as a package, and updating one outside of the others is an unsupported scenario, and may bring unpredictable results.

If it was me- I'd get the coding corrected and then proceed with the full blown integration level update. That is the "right" way to do it.

And as DrFerry mention- I strongly suspect that BPMsport would be able to correct the coding, and could do it remotely.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
      01-21-2022, 02:15 PM   #10
mettaxa
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll reach out to BPMsport.

So if I am understand this correctly, I could code out the heated seat option using NCS expert and then be able to do the full blown integration update?

If I go with the remote coding option would specific hardware would I need? I would prefer someone local that has all the right equipment as this will probably just be a one time thing.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      01-21-2022, 03:46 PM   #11
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Both coding the relevant modules and updating (programming) the DME are relatively easy to do using the software included in BMW Standard Tool (WinKFP, NCSExpert). You do not need a comprehensive update for all the modules if you just want your car to function again.

I can provide a step-by-step for this.

However, there is one ABSOLUTE requirement if the DME is going to be programmed - a proper DCAN cable with ediabaslib updated firmware must be used. If a cheapo ebay/amazon cable is employed, there is great risk of rendering the DME unusable.

Here's the cable to buy:
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-...eeks-pro-cable

If you want to try, verify possession of the cable and I'll write out the steps.

If you'd rather not do it yourself, I would assume that Benvo could do it remotely as could virtually any of the remote coders that regularly contribute on E90post. However, you will still need the right cable.
Appreciate 2
      01-21-2022, 05:32 PM   #12
mettaxa
Rep

Thanks! I appreciate the offer. I'll most likely order the cable. I will be sure to reach out once I have received it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 08:28 PM   #13
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

The problem however, is that a few years ago I swapped out my original heated seats with a new set of non heated seats, so the incorrect modules of the non-heated seats are interfering with the car's computer, and ultimately not allowing the DME to be updated.

This is normal, even an iDrive controller can completely halt BMWs standard programming procedure.

Dealerships have very limited ability in terms of programming, and anything that deviates from the spec of the car will cause ISTA to throw a fit.

There are three options:
1) Have someone like us amend the vehicles "profile", so the programming system expects to see those heated seats - this involves modifying the vehicles order and also programming the correct vins to the seat modules so then match the car.

2) Have BMW perform an "IRAP" session which would involve them opening a TSARA case and this is essentially a remote programming session in which they will be able to program/code as needed. Think me, but actually working for BMW.

3) Have someone like us perform the programming, or send the DME with same day turnaround.

I doubt this is a DME, but it's possible. That should be the last avenue.

Hope this helps!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 08:43 PM   #14
drwankel
Major
Rep

Hmm, I was kinda on the right track there it seems. I didn't consider that the VIN would have to be programmed to the seat module as well. Excellent catch.

OP if I was you, I'd take BPM up on option 1. This way if you ever have modify anything at a dealership or a dealership like indy like Strictly BMW, they wont run into this issue again due to your seat swap. The car will always report clean.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 07:24 AM   #15
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Hmm, I was kinda on the right track there it seems.
Yes, this makes sense. I never use ISTA-P for exactly this reason - it forces you to do things you don't want or need to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
OP if I was you, I'd take BPM up on option 1. This way if you ever have modify anything at a dealership or a dealership like indy like Strictly BMW, they wont run into this issue again due to your seat swap. The car will always report clean.
Also agree - the quickest and easiest way to proceed is to have BPM or another experienced remote coder do it.

But the OP would miss learning something really useful. As you obviously know, these freely available factory tools give you powerful diagnostics and the ability to perform a variety of customizations.

As to your concern about safety - in my experience, coding (using NCSExpert to change pre-set factory options) is extremely safe. There is nothing you can do with NCSExpert that will permanently brick a module - you can always recover. That is not true for WinKFP but even there it is only a matter of having the proper equipment and proceeding methodically.

One concern here would be that compatible seats were used in the swap. But the OP does not report any airbag codes or any improper seat function (movement, memory) so that is probably OK. If so, it might be as simple as removing $494 from the VO (edit VO, FA_schreiben to CAS,NFRM) and default coding the relevant modules ("factory coding" profile; SG_codieren to IHKA, JBE, FAS/BFA = sometimes called SMFA/B). Depending on which seat options were originally installed the option code alterations might be different - easy enough to determine from original VO.

That would be all that is needed to satisfy ISTA-P and any cable is sufficient for coding. Then the OP can go back to the Indy to get the Integration update I presume he's already paid for. Or with the proper cable, WinKFP could then be used to update the DME.

Like Benvo, I'd be very surprised if the original complaint was remedied by a DME re-flash but life is full of surprises.

Last edited by dpaul; 01-22-2022 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 10:23 AM   #16
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMSport View Post
This is normal, even an iDrive controller can completely halt BMWs standard programming procedure.

1) Have someone like us amend the vehicles "profile", so the programming system expects to see those heated seats - this involves modifying the vehicles order and also programming the correct vins to the seat modules so then match the car.
I was curious about this requirement so I just checked FAS/BFA on my 2011 E93 M3: no VIN is programmed in my modules. That doesn't mean it's correct but it does mean it is not necessary for normal function.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 10:49 AM   #17
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMSport View Post

I was curious about this requirement so I just checked FAS/BFA on my 2011 E93 M3: no VIN is programmed in my modules. That doesn't mean it's correct but it does mean it is not necessary for normal function.
It's not necessary for the VIN to be programmed or match in most modules for normal function.

If you don't see a VIN listed in the UIF/AIF field doesn't mean it's not elsewhere. It's not infrequent that certain modules will not have a VIN written to this field. I was referring to standard process, the rejection of the programming system in the OPs case is most likely attributed to a hardware configuration difference and not a VIN mismatch, although consistency is only a plus. Sometimes I'll see FRMs without a short vin. Lots of varying and lots of strange things over the years.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0